Graduation!

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

It's that time of year, many people are finishing their schooling and it's time to celebrate!

After 4 years I am getting my Bachelors degree in History and then...going back for graduate school, shit.

Who else is graduating soon, and what are your plans post-degree?

hawkinsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Graduated this week with BA philosophy with concentration in religious studies. I'm entering the Navy in hopes of becoming an officer. I leave Monday.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nathhaw: What are you planning on doing in the Navy? Anything related to your degree?

hawkinsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By hawkinsn

@nathhaw: What are you planning on doing in the Navy? Anything related to your degree?

As a potential officer, that's not up to me. Because of my relatively extensive study of culture, however, I would think it would be in the Navy's best interest to place me in some kind of work utilizing that experience.

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

I'm graduating with a major in English and a Film Minor. I'm hoping to professionally cover the game industry and perhaps get my feet wet with development at some point. I'm actually going to be at E3 instead of attending my grad ceremony.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Graduating with a BA in Anthropology. In the fall I am going to graduate school focusing on archaeology. May Indiana Jones have mercy on my soul.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By Tireyo

I graduated yesterday with a Bachelor's in Business Administration. They'll be mailing my diploma pretty soon.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

GET A JOB!

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

I'm desperately trying to get a job so I don't have to go back to highschool because I was a retard last time I tried to do that whole thang. I'd much rather finish up the last 5 credits I need through Community college accelerated shit for $300 or whatever. Anything to get out of this civilian shithole you people call "life."

So thanks for rubbing that in, jerks!

You'd think so, wouldn't you? Good luck! Ah, it's the Navy and you're going the Officer route so you'll probably be fine. Best of luck in your endeavors man.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By Sergio

Seeing people's majors reminds me of a link my cousin posted about the least valuable college majors. She's an archeologist, the #1 least valuable major.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

I just graduated, like now!. Although I have finals next week. Yup, sucks. Not even cool!.

AAS in Radio/TV Broadcasting. Looking into finding a good Camera/PA position.

leinad44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By leinad44

I graduated with my BSc Psychology degree a year ago. Still looking for a job :(

Bleshoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bleshoo

I never went to post-secondary school, so I graduated high school 7 years ago!

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm graduating in September! MSc in Financial Engineering and International Macroeconomics! I'm also going back for a PHD...

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I graduate next year... Damn!

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

ConGraduations. Huh, that wasn't as clever as I thought.

Seriously though, congratulations to all who've graduated. That takes a lot of determination and character.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Graduation, yay! Now it's time to work until you die. : )

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By Brendan

I graduate with a BA BusAdmin this June, but I actually finished in December so I've been working since the new year.

zoozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By zoozilla

@kraznor said:

I'm graduating with a major in English and a Film Minor. I'm hoping to professionally cover the game industry and perhaps get my feet wet with development at some point. I'm actually going to be at E3 instead of attending my grad ceremony.

I'm in my second year as an English major, and getting increasingly worried about my prospects post-graduation. I hope you do well!

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Video_Game_King

@sergio said:

Seeing people's majors reminds me of a link my cousin posted about the least valuable college majors. She's an archeologist, the #1 least valuable major.

So the takeaway from that article is that college is 100% useless for anything that isn't a STEM field? This would worry me if I was not already a King in employment for several centuries.

TAFAE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Graduating later this month with a Bachelor's of Engineering (weird, but it's not a BS) in Mechanical Engineering. Moving out to the Detroit metro area with my girlfriend to work for one of the car companies or one of their suppliers, hopefully doing CFD or FEA simulations, since I discovered I like doing that a whole lot earlier this year. Crash test simulation would be super cool.

AgnosticJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Congrats to all the fellow graduates. I just graduated with a Bachelor's of Science in Business in Management Information Systems. Probably will end up in software development but I hope to get into network security. Good luck to everyone in their job search or continued education!

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I walked today. BBA in business management. I started down this path because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my life, but I knew I wanted to run something. Looking back, I've only just now realized that I'd like to do something in HR or PR.

Up until today, I was ready to "just be done with this shit," and couldn't wait to be finished, but just a few hours later, I'm kinda depressed knowing the only thing I have going for me is my crappy pizza-place supervision job. I'm almost going to miss getting up at 6:30 to sit in a class and listen to a lecture about cultural anthropology. I don't know what I'm going to fucking do with my life. Seriously, I feel like crap- my family was exponentially more excited about my graduation than I was. Maybe I'll go back next year, dual-major in PR/HR and see what comes along. Maybe I'll take some classes at the local community college in something I'm interested in- running, language, music... IDK. I guess my next few days are going to be spent cleaning my house- but after that... who knows?

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Sergio

@sergio said:

So the takeaway from that article is that college is 100% useless for anything that isn't a STEM field? This would worry me if I was not already a King in employment for several centuries.

I wouldn't say completely useless. None of the unemployment rates for those majors are 100%. And if you're doing what you love, maybe you don't mind earning less than what STEM majors make.

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By villainy

So what is it you college graduates want to do and how does your major apply to that field? I don't mean this as a slight in any way. I'm genuinely interested in why people select their major and how it applies to the fields they want to enter.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I plan on graduating in 1.5 years with a BS in Economics and a minor in Mathematics

I would like to go to graduate school and get a PhD in economics or something, but man I just don't know.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jams

I walked today. BBA in business management. I started down this path because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my life, but I knew I wanted to run something. Looking back, I've only just now realized that I'd like to do something in HR or PR.

Up until today, I was ready to "just be done with this shit," and couldn't wait to be finished, but just a few hours later, I'm kinda depressed knowing the only thing I have going for me is my crappy pizza-place supervision job. I'm almost going to miss getting up at 6:30 to sit in a class and listen to a lecture about cultural anthropology. I don't know what I'm going to fucking do with my life. Seriously, I feel like crap- my family was exponentially more excited about my graduation than I was. Maybe I'll go back next year, dual-major in PR/HR and see what comes along. Maybe I'll take some classes at the local community college in something I'm interested in- running, language, music... IDK. I guess my next few days are going to be spent cleaning my house- but after that... who knows?

College isn't really set up to figure out what you want to do, even though fuckers act like you can. I can't believe they expect you to fucking pick something before ever even getting to see what it's like to do that job. Oh no, you have to spend a good 20k before you realized you picked the wrong major. Once you do find something you like, you're already used to the machine. Before you know it you're going to keep coming back to college because either you can't get your foot in the door job wise or because you got so used to how college works that working is to foreign and terrifying of a prospect.

I wonder if it's like that on purpose? Seems like more and more kids graduating college aren't getting what they paid for (at least as fast as they used to). At least you can do a whole lot with business management.

Good luck guys.

Avatar image for angre_leperkan439
Angre_Leperkan439

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asurastrike: I graduate next Saturday with a Bachelors in History too! Woop woop represent!

But fuck grad school. I'm doing a summer job, saving up money, then I'm going to find a job... somewhere. I don't even want a job in history anymore.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@villainy said:

So what is it you college graduates want to do and how does your major apply to that field? I don't mean this as a slight in any way. I'm genuinely interested in why people select their major and how it applies to the fields they want to enter.

I majored in History to be a History teacher. Before I picked my major I sat down with my grandma, who taught history for 40 years, and asked her if she enjoyed it, and if it was a fulfilling job.

Darson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@nathhaw said:

@asurastrike said:

As a potential officer, that's not up to me. Because of my relatively extensive study of culture, however, I would think it would be in the Navy's best interest to place me in some kind of work utilizing that experience.

I have a feeling that they'll do anything but what's in their best interest. "Degree smegree! Go toss around in the mess!"

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By Sooty

1 month left, 3 exams, then in September I will finally be at university studying Japanese.

It has been a long road. I couldn't get into university with computing qualifications for languages so I had to go back to do a "humanities" course consisting of history, psychology, English and maths, why the fuck that is any more relevant to doing languages at university I simply do not know. Just nice to be doing what I want to do, as finding the motivation to study for boring bullshit like psychology was pretty difficult.

Next week I am attending a picnic with current members of my future course, should be fun! Haven't lived on my own before so moving to Oxford in 4 months should be pretty exciting.

hawkinsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By hawkinsn

@darson said:

@nathhaw said:

I have a feeling that they'll do anything but what's in their best interest. "Degree smegree! Go toss around in the mess!"

Although what you say is possible, most people going in will be as much as two ranks lower than I. Probably will have to go through them first, so there is at least a buffer.

Unilad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Unilad

Welcome to the real world, it sucks!

Just joking. I graduated last July after studying Law. I wasn't ready for 'proper' work, so decided to take a year of teaching English in Hong Kong. It's awesome. I work 9.30-5.30pm, I get to play hockey weeknights, and weekends, hang out with friends and and generally feel productive.

I will be returning home later this year, but I'm not worried. I've applied for jobs, and waiting for responses. What I've realised is that you can spend your entire time worrying, or you can go out and live! I honestly cannot explain the importance of find a job you love. These jobs are hard to find no doubt, but the way I see it, you spend 50 hours a week (minimum) at the workplace. 50x4(weeks a month)x 12 months a year = 2400 hours a year! If you are not sure, then perhaps take a year to think?!

It's a mystery for everyone man. You ain't alone.

liquidmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#34  Edited By liquidmatt

Final exam this Wednesday, but graduating in June with a BA in "English and American Literature with Creative Writing".

Can't decide whether to do a Masters, or look for an internship, or get any job I can and hope to write in my free time and make a move that way. Preferably I'd like to work as a script writer/editor, but I have dipped my toes in journalism and quite enjoy that too.

Basically, I have no idea what to do with my life, but hopefully I can write about such confusion eloquently.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Was supposed to graduate at the end of the week, but a last minute thing came up that's keeping me here one more semester. My advisor's helping me out a lot here though, and I feel it gives me a little more time to get some more resumes out there before I actually graduate, so it's really not all that bad, just a bit disappointing.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By Winternet

I'm going to write about video games and get paid.

Yeahh.... better finish this Economics degree that I got myself into.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Congraduations!

Huh?... Anyone?... Anyone?

Avatar image for angre_leperkan439
Angre_Leperkan439

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smtdante89: Oh man, that sucks. I'd be so pissed if I were you.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By jacdg

@sergio said:

No Communication on the list? Wooo, I'm safe then!