Growing up with Giant Bomb

GJSmitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By GJSmitty

With Giant Bomb's 10th anniversary and my own 21st birthday coming in November, I've spent a lot of time thinking about my teenage years.

I've been following Giant Bomb since 2009. Since I'm 20, I was 11 or 12 when I found the site. That's crazy to think about. I was a child listening to grown men talk about video games, and for some reason I enjoyed it. My older brother showed me the Bombcast, and it was the first podcast I ever listened to. I would download it on my silver PSP 3000 and listen every week.

My first vivid memory is listening to the 2009 GOTY deliberations, specifically the debate between Uncharted 2 and Arkham Asylum. I was sleeping on an air mattress in our basement because my grandparents were staying in my room. In our cold, dark basement in early January, I would fall asleep to the deliberations. My favorite game of all time, Uncharted 2, won the debate and it proved to me the duders at Giant Bomb knew what they were talking about.

I continued to follow Giant Bomb as I passed from preteen to teenager. I even started posting in the forums, and I'm sure my comments are just as cringy as you would expect from a 13-year-old. But I really began to feel like I was part of this community, and I was always welcomed with open arms. There are a couple of memories that stand out. I was a tiny part of the Giant Bomb Community Song, even though my voice clip was high pitched and probably annoying. I got to play with the crew on a TNT of Team Fortress 2. I made a dumb fake movie trailer in Movie Maker called Giant Bomb: Origins, and it received thousands of views and hundreds of positive comments. As a lonely and awkward 13-year-old, I was absolutely blown away.

Yup, there it is.
Yup, there it is.

In fact, Giant Bomb is the place where I really began to express my passions. Giant Bomb: Origins was my first experience with video editing, and I wrote several long-form blog posts that revealed my interest in writing. I was always positively encouraged by the community. I'm now double majoring in journalism and comm arts (video production) and am in the process of self-publishing a book. Funny how that works.

As I grew older, I stopped contributing to the community here, but I never stopped following Giant Bomb. Through all the weird and awkward turbulence of growing up, Giant Bomb always had my back. When I was nervous before my first job interview, I watched a Quick Look. Whenever I was lonely, I could tune into the hours of great content this website produced. After I dropped a game-tying pass in an important football game, and I was too ashamed to look at my teammates on the bus ride back, I put on my headphones and listened to the Bombcast. Even recently, through the booze and uncertainty-filled first half of college, Giant Bomb has been a much needed constant in my life. I might not know how I feel about moving out of my parent's house, whether my degree will be worth it, or if I drink too much, but I do know that every week I can look forward to listening to the Bombcast and Beastcast.

I may not contribute here anymore, but I believe this is the best community on the internet. I may not be able to afford a membership (at the moment), but I will always support Giant Bomb. I've grown up with this website, and it has provided me with countless hours of entertainment. More than that, it has been a light in the dark and a constant pillar in my life. For that, I will always be grateful.

Thank you Giant Bomb.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@gjsmitty: Thanks for the memories (or is it remembrances?)!

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Thats fun to hear. I was just 20 when Giant Bomb started so my entire 20s was with these rascals so I can relate in some ways. I definitely am not the same person I was when I was 20 but my enjoyment of the site is one of those few things that remain.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

My son was born the year Giant Bomb launched...

...yeah...

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've accomplished pretty much nothing for ten years and giant bomb has been the highlight of it all. Thanks and here's to another 10 years!

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I grew up with Captain Noah and Mr. Rodgers

superslidetail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Wow, 10 years. I feel somewhat the same way. I've been here 5 and it feels like an eternity.

Sergiy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sergiy

I dont recall when i found GB, i had started with the hotspot, but after the duders were gone, then eventually learned of the origins and somehow happened upon GB, but it has been a lot of years.. with both GB and HotSpot whicb is no longer a thing.

It is a lot of fun hearing people talk passionately about something, and the duders being great speakers and throwing in real life stories and opinions in the middle just makes the whole thing so much fun.

Growing up i had very few friends and having a podcast or two per week really helped me out in the hardest times. A lot of the things i heard influenced my mind in one way or another, made me think, consider things.

One of my fondest memories was me waiting for the bus, heading over to my internship, where Jeff was talking about taking cough medicine to get high and the whole thing just turned into cautionary tales about kids looking for alternative drugs, i had a real good laugh with that one.

Theres a fantastic compilation of emails on youtube about "the Australian beef" that i found extremely enjoyable.

https://youtu.be/RPPPeyflV5I

Thank you very much to all duders, long live GB!

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@nutter: wonder how many babies were ushered into this world by the sweet musings of the Bombcast.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@ballsleon: He was born during the halftime of the NFL season kick-off game in 2008.

The Superbowl champion Giants played the Redskins in a Thursday night game.

The doctor and my wife are both huge Giants fans. My son was nice enough to wait until halftime to get into proper labor. He was born by a few minutes into the third quarter.

He was very considerate back then...he’s 9, now...so...

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It feels odd when I stop and think about how long the site has been going. I was about a month out of high school when the site launched, but I was already a huge fan of the crew from their GameSpot days. So I've grown up with the crew as well.

Sometimes I wonder how I'll feel when I am the same age as the crew was when they started Giant Bomb. And what form the site will be in by then, if it's still going strong, of course. I'll be here until the wheels fall off.

ht101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

I was 20 when GB started and I began following them when they were at Gamespot. I have gone through a lot in that time and Giantbomb has also helped me through some tough times. I have made some great friends through my love of wrestling and our desire to punish ourselves by continuing to watch WWE even when it's terrible. This is an amazing website and I can't wait to see where it goes in the next 10 years.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I've uh, been through a lot since I was in high school in 2008, to say the least, and through both the good and the bad (especially the bad) this silly website has definitely been one of the handful of constants in my life for the last decade (even longer if you count me discovering Gamespot in the early 2000s.) I'm not going to claim I've always loved everything this site has produced, or that I don't cringe like crazy when I look at some of my old posts or blogs, but I think I'm mostly okay with sticking around this long.

KittyApoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im around the same age but only really started watching them around Project BEAST, but I remember always liking the game reviews and watching the P4 endurance run when I lost steam on actually playing the game. So while I cant say I really grew up with them, I do think they had some impact on who I am today

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

Well... I started following/watching Giantbomb when it was Jeffs' blog after he got fired from gamespot, I was 17 or 18 at the time and going through a lot of personal issues. The community, Videos and the personalities of the GB staff really helped me get through a very mundane and depressing point in my life. I always looked forward to their content when I got home from work and chatting with fellow duders at the time.

While I still followed the content and the videos, I fell off from posting on the forums because i was at a point in my life where i didn't need the online social interaction anymore. But every once in a while i like to check in and reminisce with other duders.