Hail to the king (new Ash vs Evil Dead tv series from Starz)

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

As a longtime fan of Bruce Campbell and especially the Evil Dead movies I was pleasantly surprised by the trailer for the new 10 episode (each episode will be about 30 minutes long or so) tv series from Starz. First episode will be directed by Sam Raimi himself.

Here is the trailer in question:

It seems that they have managed to retain the gore and humor which made the movies so fun (well evil dead 1 was more of a horror movie).

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I didn't care about this, then I read Sam Raimi is writer and co-creator and now I care about this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5985ee6460d86
deactivated-5985ee6460d86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I love Evil Dead 1 but I'm not that big of a fan of 2. Army of Darkness in the other hand is awesome which this trailer reminds me of. In other words, I can't wait for it(plus the original guys are behind it).

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad this is being made

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I still can't believe this is actually happening. It's just too great an idea to actually exist. It's amazing that Evil Dead is still (or rather, once more) an active franchise at all, and hasn't hit a suck point yet. Sure, the trailer could be a "the only good scenes are in here" deal, but I have a good feeling about this.

Despite the Scream show apparently being awful, I think there's something to the idea of bringing classic horror franchises back in TV form. Which I guess is my roundabout way of saying somebody needs to make a proper Elm Street TV series, dammit. Or at least put Freddy's Nightmares on DVD/BR.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm so pumped for this. I was giddy with excitement when I first saw the trailer earlier this week. It looks like exactly what I wanted it to be.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This actually looks pretty great, so I'm in.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Well this show is the best. First episode was so fucking good. Funny to see they're going with Evil Dead 1 and 2 in terms of what happened at the cabin, though I wish they'd called out Army of Darkness (or at least hinted at it). Maybe later in the show it'll become more relevant. Could tie into the character Lucy Lawless plays.

But yeah, everything about this was fantastic. You should watch it. Really hope it keeps up like this! It's the only episode Sam Raimi is directing, so we'll see. It certainly didn't feel like any other TV show I've seen.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

First episode was fucking fantastic. Exactly what I've been waiting 23 years for. Well, ALMOST exactly. I was disappointed by the use of poor CGI, or any CGI for that matter. The fact that it was bad bummed me out even more. But most of the effects were practical and looked great. Good action, good gore, really funny (the "retard" line from the store manager was hilarious), and of course, getting to see my lifelong hero back in the role he was born to play. I'm so damn happy this already got picked up for another season.

@theht: The reason none of the events of AoD are mentioned is because they do not own the rights to that film. They legally can't refer to anything that takes place in that movie without getting a bunch of other people involved and paying them. Hopefully Raimi and co. will regain the rights sooner than later. Also, Lucy Lawless' character definitely ties into the history of Evil Dead in a big way.

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht: The reason Army of Darkness doesn't make an appearance is because they didn't have the rights.

wonderva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As much as I love the premiere of this series, I really wished the rumors were true and Bruce got his own spin off of Burn Notice (yes, I am a fan of that show)

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By newmoneytrash

I don't know why I thought there wouldn't be, but I was surprised at how much kind of straight horror is in it

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

@theht: Yep, every entry to the franchise has gone through this at this point, because different people were invested in each one. In a way, the way the show has handled explaining the past events is almost in line with how the EDII and AoD had to change things because of the exact same issues. What I found interesting is how the show blends ED 1 and 2 together, which is how they're meant to be taken despite having stark continuity issues.

Avatar image for dancinginfernal
dancinginfernal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just watched the first episode while catching up on television for the week, and man, what an incredible way to revist this series. I've never been more psyched to go space truckin'.

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The first episode is free on the Starz app on Xbox One right now, even if you don't subscribe to Starz, or any cable for that matter. It was pretty great!