Halloween is happening

mekon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mekon  Online

We put Santa hats on our avatars for Xmas (and in some cases all year around). I decided to have some late timed fun with my avatar and make LeChuck from Monkey Island look as creepy as possible for one day only and it took about 15 minutes, anyone else want to put up their best shot? (p.s. my MS paint skills are really bad...) edit: I mean your own avatar :)

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2 nutter  Online

No.

I am the Ebenezer Scrooge of Halloween. I’m 40, I’m a homeowner. I have a small place because it’s more comfortable to heat, cool, and maintain, and I really don’t need for much.

Anyhow, the idea of solicitors banging on my door for four hours straight is something of a first-world personal hell to me.

As noted, small place, so there’s no real hiding that I’m home. This leaves me societally obliged to stand around for hours handing out candy.

I’m playing it up a little here, but my favorite Halloween moment is when the candy runs out around 8:00 and I shut the door before the scales tip from little kids toward teenagers going door to door.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Halloween. Just getting up on some guy’s easy to temperature control home right at 7:59 and making him give me free candy, nothing beats that feeling.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do my best to ignore it.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nutter: oh F that just sit on sofa with blind open, slippers on, brew in hand, garbage on the t.v.

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By wardcleaver

This will be the first year we do not pass out Halloween candy. It always seems to be cold and rainy on Halloween, and we just can't get up to sitting in that mess for 2 hours to give some neighbor children cavities.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nutter  Online

@htr10: HA! Well played!

@frodobaggins: Yeah, we’re just outside a really broke city. I’ve had my car broken into, I’ve had a small group try to force themselves into my house. I’ve had kids try to steal the entire bowl of Halloween candy out of my wife’s hands.

It’s not the worst place in the US, by any means, but we have enough crime in my town that I’d rather not fuck with people on a night where wearing trespassing in head-to-toe black and a mask isn’t considered suspicious.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nutter: lol thats fair then. What really does my box in is those stragglers that come an hour or two after the main rush. There should be an agreed upon time schedule for trick or treaters. Like 5-7pm. Anything after that and you ain't getting shit 😂

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nutter  Online

@frodobaggins: Yeah, my neighborhood mostly gets dark around 8:00pm or so. Rain and strong winds here, tonight, so I hope that turns into something more like 7:30pm.

I definitely start looking around for dark porches a little before 8:00. I’m always there to support the “nothing here, try the next street” effort.

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By berfunkle

I was a stupid child. I'd go to each and every house in my neighborhood even though only a fraction of these homes would be handing out the good stuff. I'd even go to the dentist's house who was giving out small toothbrushes and nothing else. It never even occurred to me at the time that I could get a lot of good candy by hitting several of the same houses over and over again, until of course I was recognized. Oh well...too late now.

MonkeyKing1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@nutter: My sister and her family sometimes lock their doors, turn off all lights, and then go to a movie. They used to hand out 1, 000 to 2, 000 pieces of candy...their neighborhood was that busy. Now, they take every other year off if not more. They worried that their house would get trashed (egged, etc); but buying $200 of candy was just not worth it.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nutter  Online

@monkeyking1969: HA! That’s awful. This year was brief due to winds, rain, and cold weather, but that lead to a bunch of 16+ year old kids knocking on the door asking for candy-hand-outs from my 9 year old as early as 7pm.

I should just put a spotlight on my yard with rates for how much square footage raked will get you different kinds of candy...these kids are old enough to work for it. ;)