Avatar image for lapsariangiraff
lapsariangiraff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By lapsariangiraff

Alright, I might be completely talking out of my butt here, but I had to talk about a strange thing that came up on iTunes. Yes, that iTunes, the one that is more expensive than Spotify, less supportive of the artists themselves than Bandcamp, and next to one uses except for their old music libraries on phones/laptops. That iTunes. In 2020. Anyway.

For better or worse, I have a large-ish collection of movies on iTunes from lots of pack-in DVD "digital editions" and the like, so I often just buy old movies for cheap on iTunes when I like the movie enough. It's a strange use case that I'm sure I'm in the minority on, but whatever.

I've been really itching to rewatch John Carpenter's Halloween (the 1978 original) for a bit now, as I've gotten into Dead by Daylight and enjoy playing as Myers. Plus, some friends haven't seen it, and 'tis the season. So a few days ago, I looked at iTunes just to make sure that Halloween 1978 is there, around September 29th or so. And it is. Relieved, I leave it be without buying it that moment.

That turned out to be a foolish mistake.

I check today, once October has rolled around, and Halloween 1978 is now inextant on the iTunes platform. I search "Halloween" and click "see all" on the movie selection, and it's not there. But they do have the saddest assortment of every lame Halloween sequel after the original.

BEHOLD, every shitty Halloween sequel post 1978, plus whatever crap has
BEHOLD, every shitty Halloween sequel post 1978, plus whatever crap has "Halloween" in the title on iTunes. And some that just don't?

This is the entirety of iTunes' search results for "Halloween". The weird soft reboots, Halloween 4, Halloween 6, Halloween 2018? We gotchu. The lame remakes, Halloween H20, Rob Zombie's Halloween 2007? Step right on in! I'm being a little dickish here, but the Halloween franchise past the original is, in the words of RedLetterMedia, "incredibly lame." And having them all on display except for the original is maddening and hysterical at the same time.

So I search "Halloween 1978 iTunes" on Google, and there's a search result on an iTunes store page. I click on it, and after loading for a bit, the browser states, "This product isn't available in your region." One search result down, I see that Halloween 1978 is available on Apple TV. INTERESTING. Therefore, between that and the fact and I definitely have seen it on iTunes before, I can only jump to a silly conspiracy theory:

iTunes is intentionally withholding Halloween 1978 for the month of October. It's stupid, but it's the only explanation I can think of.

Anyway, thanks Apple (and thank you for bearing with this silly rant). I'll go buy Halloween on Amazon Prime now.

EDIT: For a funny, quick and dirty explanation of how out of control the Halloween franchise was, check out this little comedic bit by RedLetterMedia.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Well, at least you can still watch Busta Rhymes kung fu fight Micheal Myers...

Avatar image for lapsariangiraff
lapsariangiraff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@panfoot: It's true. No suit can take that from me.

Birtrum_Yonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre 1974 is a much better horror film. Go watch that instead.