Has anyone actually had this much homework?

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

My biology teacher gave me 52 pages (no joke- and these aren't simple short sheets) over thanksgiving break (which we got the whole week).  What the hell?   This is all new stuff, 3 informal online labs in that. 
Seriously, wtf?  

Thanks a whole fucking lot teach!  Jees, it's not like this should be a time to relax at all, and of course there's no such thing as work for us people either...nope... of course...everyone gets the day off on black friday as well!  And it's not like stores prepare for that either...

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By BiggerBomb

Yes, and then some. No, I mean, "Yes, and then much more." What grade?

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Demilich

Enjoy.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Gunner

I love how teachers just assume that no one that goes to college or school has a job or anything important like that. "Oh here is some homework that needs to be done in order to pass the class... But dont worry, 5 years from now you wont remember what you learned from it!"

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By ZenaxPure

I have only had 1 teacher like that in college so far, and I basically said fuck that and failed the class to be honest. It was impossible for me to do 14 hours worth of other classes and work alongside this class, it was easily 4 hours of homework a day. So ridiculous.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gunner said:
"I love how teachers just assume that no one that goes to college or school has a job or anything important like that. "Oh here is some homework that needs to be done in order to pass the class... But dont worry, 5 years from now you wont remember what you learned from it!""
I used to say the same thing whilst procrastinating my way through high school.

I'm a manager at a Barnes & Noble bookstore and a full-time student at a major university studying two separate majors.  Despite that banal, egotistical lathering I just gave myself, I still have time to play video games and *gasp* surf message boards in order to argue with teenagers about what game deserves "Game of the Year" honors. 

My point?  That getting work done is as much about conviction and determination as it is free time.  Time is important, sure.  But you might be surprised what a person can do when they plant themselves into a chair--preferably in the midst of a room stuffed with nothing but the echoes of your thoughts--and focus. 
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By Gunner
Sir_Ragnarok said:
"Gunner said:
"I love how teachers just assume that no one that goes to college or school has a job or anything important like that. "Oh here is some homework that needs to be done in order to pass the class... But dont worry, 5 years from now you wont remember what you learned from it!""

I'm a manager at a Barnes & Noble bookstore and a full-time student at a major university studying two separate majors.  Despite that banal, egotistical lathering I just gave myself, I still have time to play video games and *gasp* surf message boards in order to argue with teenagers about what game deserves "Game of the Year" honors. 

My point?  That getting work done is as much about conviction and determination as it is free time.  Time is important, sure.  But you might be surprised what a person can do when they plant themselves into a chair--preferably in the midst of a room stuffed with nothing but the echoes of your thoughts--and focus. "
But whether or not that work is important or not is a different matter. I dont mind sitting down to work on a paper, but when a teacher gives you a bunch of worthless shit that you either alreadt know or dont need to know, not to mention giving a shitload of it pisses me off. When i was going to highschool i had a teacher that always gave me shitloads of homework over the holidays, i used to lose so much sleep over the amount of crap i had to do. But am i a more intellegent person having done all that work? No not at all.
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gunner said:
But whether or not that work is important or not is a different matter. I dont mind sitting down to work on a paper, but when a teacher gives you a bunch of worthless shit that you either alreadt know or dont need to know, not to mention giving a shitload of it pisses me off. When i was going to highschool i had a teacher that always gave me shitloads of homework over the holidays, i used to lose so much sleep over the amount of crap i had to do. But am i a more intellegent person having done all that work? No not at all."
Again, it's all about motivation.  And, besides, if it's in the curriculum, it might as well be set in stone.  They can't make concessions for you just because you know some of the material already.  What that teacher was doing was the thoughtful thing, because a lot of students, when they hit the collegiate level, fail to pace themselves in relation to their work.  They'd much rather fall behind and push the work to another day, as though it will do itself at some ill-defined point.

That instructor, from the sounds of it, was trying to instill, or at the very least reaffirm, a sense of diligence in the students.  Who knows.
lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By lazyturtle
Sir_Ragnarok said:
 That getting work done is as much about conviction and determination as it is free time.  
That is it in a nutshell. You may just have to cut leisure activities to get the work done. Big picture: it's worth it. 
 I took biology over a summer semester so it involved learning 1 or 2 chapters (between 40-60 pages of reading) a day plus a lab once a week. There was a test every other week.  It required a lot of willpower to sit down and read that much after I got home from work (I was working 30 hours a week outdoors at that point in my life). I'm not saying it was pleasant, but it was necessary for me to progress as a student.  Depending on the rest of your workload, 52 pages over a week really isn't that much (assuming it's stuff that can be broken apart and done in segments).  
I think that attitude is really important too..don't waste time wondering WHY you have to complete a particular assignment. You just have to do it. Getting all worked up about how much work you've got is going to sap your energy and make getting it done much harder. There is no why, there is only do. 

It's really not the teachers problem about your personal schedule. You have to learn a certain ammount of material in a specific time to pass the class. That's determined by the department. If that's too hard, perhaps you should take less classes. It may not be possible for you to graduate in 4 years, it certainly wasnt' for me. I had to work and take classes. I had 2 kids while I was still in school (and belive me that makes it CRAZY hard to get work done). 

Try to roll with it. Biology is a intense subject. I personally found the more advanced classes to be much easier than the basic concept courses (BIO 1 was crazy hard for me, but later bio courses were WAY easier). Also remember....the semester is almost over!
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Karmum

Each year, it seems like my homework that is given to me drastically decreases. No joke, comparing my homework from my Freshman year (not College), to my Sophomore year is pretty crazy. Considering about half the week I won't be assigned homework.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By artofwar420

Yes, and I have about a day and a half to do all this shit.

I remember Biology, I loved that class, I guess that's why I got an A on that class and no matter how much homework we had I managed to do it all, on time. I bet there's some secret about doing homework there. I guess I forgot.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By BoG

I had an AP English course in High School that required I read the Crucible over the summer and then write twelve three-page papers on a variety of subjects related to the book, four pages of related vocabulary, and three pages of related short answer questions. I was the only person in the class who got an A on the entire thing, as well, and half of my papers were written the night before school began (the due date).
I really did not enjoy doing it, and haven't had an assignment so big since. I don't miss HS one bit.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HandsomeDead

I was given 100 pages of Latin divided up into pages to translate and questions to answer to do over the summer holidays. I didn't touch it.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BiggerBomb

My biggest problem with school is homework. Were it not for that, I would actually enjoy school. Unfortunately, each and every teacher seems to be of the mind that they are the only teacher giving homework. Either that or they just don't care.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Demyx

You guys have way too much homework. I've never gotten that much...

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By daniel_beck_90

in high school , I had no problem with assignments regarding Math and physics whatsoever , though other subjects  kinda made me tired

AaronBelfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By AaronBelfast

Americans seem to be pushed to the limit. In Britian, my average homework would consist of around a two pages a subject, and I'm a B grade student.

theshadow027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By theshadow027

Well right now I have a Science Test, Math Test, Social Studies Test, and a Language Test coming up. I also got a couple pages of math, a poetry assignment, a book report, and a math assignment but SmugDarkLoser still beats me by a lot! Man I pity you...

Avatar image for masturbatingbear
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By MasturbatingBear
Gunner said:
so passing a mandatory class isn't important? In Biology you learn lots of things which could potentially be useful in life. Are you in an accelerated class? that would explain the 52 pages. I mean i wish I had more work to do over my break. 1 week off with only the amount of homework I had on a regular school night meant my parents kept hounding me to stay in my room. If I had a few hours more work I could have been fine the rest of the week. Also if your in high school or college and you have a job, isnt part of your responsibility knowing ure limits and being responsible enough to say I can or cannot have a job and still succeed in school?

I would like to know how you do not find time for that much homework during a week off, sure it sucks but brining up a student being busy is kinda stupid. busy with what? this is normally what keeps them busy. I know lots of other people in my school going on vacation were complaining about how much work they got and saying shit like "how am I supposed to do this on vacation?". It was your/your parents choice for you to go to this country while you only have week off, thats just retarded.

Also seeing as this is after you returned to class im assuming? or a little before? did you end up doing it all?
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By jakob187

Man, 52 pages?  You got off light, sir.  High school wasn't nice here.  You got it LAID ON YOU!

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By whackmypinata
Gunner said:
"Sir_Ragnarok said:
"Gunner said:

My point?  That getting work done is as much about conviction and determination as it is free time.  Time is important, sure.  But you might be surprised what a person can do when they plant themselves into a chair--preferably in the midst of a room stuffed with nothing but the echoes of your thoughts--and focus. "
But whether or not that work is important or not is a different matter. I dont mind sitting down to work on a paper, but when a teacher gives you a bunch of worthless shit that you either alreadt know or dont need to know, not to mention giving a shitload of it pisses me off. When i was going to highschool i had a teacher that always gave me shitloads of homework over the holidays, i used to lose so much sleep over the amount of crap i had to do. But am i a more intellegent person having done all that work? No not at all."
So? It doesn't matter if you got more intelligence doing the work, rather how much determination you put in. If it doesn't interest you, suck it up. Honestly, you just need to play their game to get good grades and it ultimately comes down to how much effort you want to put in, with a slight bit of raw intelligence included.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22  Edited By jakob187

Look, when your music teacher tells you to write a 200 page (front and back is one page) essay on Jimi Hendrix's significance in the music industry and how he substantially changed rock 'n' roll for a new generation....

....and it's worth 15% of your overall grade for the semester....

....then you can come crying to me.
whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By whackmypinata
jakob187 said:
"Look, when your music teacher tells you to write a 200 page (front and back is one page) essay on Jimi Hendrix's significance in the music industry and how he substantially changed rock 'n' roll for a new generation....

"
That's just moronic, you should tell the principal about that. Try copy and pasting "he was cool and purple" a lot.

You know what's funny about this thread? It made me start working on an essay I had already cast off until tomorrow night..
abombb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24  Edited By abombb

Well, if you do about 12 pages a day, you'll have it all finished up by breaks end...:)

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Icil
jakob187 said:
"Look, when your music teacher tells you to write a 200 page (front and back is one page) essay on Jimi Hendrix's significance in the music industry and how he substantially changed rock 'n' roll for a new generation....

"
It's a trick. You're supposed to bomb that paper and get 100% on everything else, giving you an 85% for the class with far less effort.
StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By StaticFalconar

In college that is common. Maybe your teach is used to teaching at a college or something.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By crunchUK

just don't do it

xionpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By xionpunk

I had two papers and a speech to write up over the break. Of course I didn't work on them for some frickin reason. Dammit I'm a bad student.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Snail

I had to hand in 30 notecards if that's of any help.... What grade are you?