Has anyone experience burn-in on an LG OLED?

majorchin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By majorchin

My wife and I bought an LG OLED C7P a couple of weeks ago from Amazon on sale and love it. Before purchasing I was aware of reported burn-in issues, but I couldn't really tell if it was the smallest percent of people who own this TV being the loudest about their issues. As a lot of the crew has this TV, and seemingly so do a lot of people on this forum, I figured this would be a pretty good place to ask.

We don't have cable, so the TV is used for streaming shows, movies and games only. I don't think you can get burn-in from letterboxed content on OLED because the black pixels are 'off', but is that something I should be concerned about? I know HUDs in games could be an issue, but have any of you experienced issues with it? I've also been hesitant to watch any GB content through my Roku because the stream set-ups are pretty 'static' frames of talking heads, and haven't gone back to Fallout: New Vegas because I'm worried about the HUD when I fall into a longer session (3-4 hours).

We've logged 107 hours into the TV, and I've been looking closely and haven't noticed anything so far after playing a decent amount God of War and Stardew Valley. I know burn-in is possible but I really don't know how worried I should actually be about it. Am I just being overly paranoid?

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By nutter

I’ve only had mine for a few months. It gets a couple of hours of use, most days. It’s in a well-lit room (sunlight), so my screen is set WAY brighter than I’d like before sunset.

No signs of burn-in yet.

I do have some noticeable image retention on a 10 year old Panasonic Viera (plasma). It’s not noticable after a few minutes of viewing, but it’s always there when the screen is just black. That only started within that last year or so, and really isn’t a problem.

EDIT: Most sets have an anti-retention program that you can turn on after a long session with a static hud.

Pixel-cycling is also pretty standard (in my experience), and I’ve never noticed it happening.

I think a lot of burn-in concern is sort of overblown. It can happen. It can be bad. Being aware (not paranoid, just aware), is probably enough. Sports, news, game hubs, never really gave me an issue since my first rear projection HD set in 2002 (I think).

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

No burn in or image retention noticed here and I've had long sessions of playing the same games.

w00master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had mine (C7 55-inch) for almost a year now. No sign of burn in. Honestly speaking, it's the best TV I've ever purchased.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I worked at a store where we had a LG OLED curved phone "yes it's a thing i am not making it up" the thing run a demo 24/7 after half a year the thing had the whole demo burned in, We also had a normal LG OLED TV first gen ( running a demo ) and that thing was just fine, so i don't think your gonna have any trouble having burn-ins, Led's tv's in general have a lower burn in rate then a plasma or LCD TV, hope this helps a bit.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Seikenfreak

Ive got an LG EF9500 (the.. 2016 model?) 4,780 hours on it and no issues yet. There are times you'll get some image retention if it was some real solid, contrasting color shapes/lines but it'll go away pretty quickly.

And yea these TV are supposed to run some sort of pixel refresher system when powered off. Can't remember the term for it.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NTM

In a recent thread made about TV's, we were talking about OLED. That made me look up my preferred OLED, and preferred LED and came across information that said OLED's (and the LG that I had my eye on) does have an issue with burn-in, which is kind of dismaying. Take a look here.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I would just use good judgement and thought, and you shoudl be fine. I'm not sure if you model does this, but often the TV itself has a 'burn-in tool' that can be use to clear any 'modest' afterimage that appears.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

As long as you dont have the same thing on the screen for long periods you should be fine.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We should be past this. You should be able to have the same channel on indefinitely without the logo getting burned in the corner. SMH.