Has anyone here seen The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo?

Why_So_Serious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Why_So_Serious

So I just got back from seeing the film and I absolutely loved it. What I want to know is, is there anyone here that has seen both the 2011 version of the movie and read the novels? I really want to start reading the series and wanted to know how close to the book the movie was. Can I pick up on book two and not miss anything? Or do I need to read the first book so I get all the details, etc?

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

No, but I've seen the 2009 version.

Mogoping

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Mogoping

It follows it pretty closely I thought.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By strainedeyes

The 2011 version follows the book fairly closely, more closely than the 2009 version. Obviously the book goes into more detail for everything, but I'm sure if you wanted to you could jump to book 2.

Or just go watch the Swedish ones, 2 and 3 aren't that great anyway.

Why_So_Serious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Why_So_Serious
@Geo7877 said:

The 2011 version follows the book fairly closely, more closely than the 2009 version. Obviously the book goes into more detail for everything, but I'm sure if you wanted to you could jump to book 2. If you're that lazy, that is.

The books arent that great? Really? Because the movie was very interesting and very good. I thought the sequel would follow suit.
McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By McGhee

@Why_So_Serious said:

@Geo7877 said:

The 2011 version follows the book fairly closely, more closely than the 2009 version. Obviously the book goes into more detail for everything, but I'm sure if you wanted to you could jump to book 2. If you're that lazy, that is.

The books arent that great? Really? Because the movie was very interesting and very good. I thought the sequel would follow suit.

I think he's saying the second and third movies aren't that great, which I'd kind of agree with. But the books are fantastic. I would actually recommend listening to the audiobooks. They are really well done.

This movie does follow the books very closely except the end is changed in an inconsequential way.

I would say still read the first book.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By strainedeyes

They get too goofy. The first is definitely the high point of the series.

Why_So_Serious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Why_So_Serious

Well I am a pretty fast reader.  I think maybe I will just read the 1st one as well to get the authors take on the characters and the details you dont get in the movie. I have plenty of time this next week. I will just try and read them all.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

I'm a huge fan of the books and movies, gonna see the new version when it comes to the cinema (19 january here >.>)  and I'm eager to find out what they made of it.

As is often the case, books usually tell a whole other side of the story, often one filled with details that would bore a moviewatcher but not a reader.
You could start with book two, but if you're gonna read it anyway why not pick up 1 too? 

I saw all the flicks first, then I read the books, I enjoyed doing both immensely in their own rights.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Dany

Read the books and the first swedish movie. The second and third swedish films are rubbish.

I love this movie quite a bit, the changes they've done were appropriate but the sexing up of Lisbeth leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By napalm

@McGhee said:

@Why_So_Serious said:

@Geo7877 said:

I think he's saying the second and third movies aren't that great, which I'd kind of agree with. But the books are fantastic. I would actually recommend listening to the audiobooks. They are really well done.

This movie does follow the books very closely except the end is changed in an inconsequential way.

I would say still read the first book.

What happens in the original book? People keep talking about the "change" at the end.

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By the_hiro_abides

I've only seen the first Swedish movie. It was pretty good! Very intense in parts but a good procedural nonetheless.

Why_So_Serious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Why_So_Serious
@Dany said:

Read the books and the first swedish movie. The second and third swedish films are rubbish.

I love this movie quite a bit, the changes they've done were appropriate but the sexing up of Lisbeth leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

What do you mean by the sexing up? In a strange way I found her distrubing yet sexy. She was attractive in an odd sort of way.@TaliciaDragonsong said:
I'm a huge fan of the books and movies, gonna see the new version when it comes to the cinema (19 january here >.>)  and I'm eager to find out what they made of it.  As is often the case, books usually tell a whole other side of the story, often one filled with details that would bore a moviewatcher but not a reader. You could start with book two, but if you're gonna read it anyway why not pick up 1 too?  I saw all the flicks first, then I read the books, I enjoyed doing both immensely in their own rights.
The film was absolutely phenomenal. I could give you a detailed review about the ups and downs but I doubt you want to read that haha.
Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dany

@Napalm: The books had the real Harriet be in Australia and that the woman in London was Anita and the wire tap they performed led them to the Hariet.

@Why_So_Serious: THe swedish films do a more accurate job in portraying Lisbeth. You find her sexy, because you care about her and empethize with everything she's goen through. The books and swedish film portray her has a more sterile, cold and emotionless person, which I think makes her actions more interesting when she does do something 'emotional'

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By strainedeyes

@Dany said:

@Napalm: The books had the real Harriet be in Australia and that the woman in London was Anita and the wire tap they performed led them to the Hariet.

I think it was like that in the Swedish version, wasn't it?

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By napalm

@Dany said:

Oh, so it was something they didn't really do. I thought the "ending" was more between Lisbeth and Mikael.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By McGhee

@Geo7877 said:

@Dany said:

It was like that in the Swedish version, wasn't it?

No. It was just like the book.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@Why_So_Serious
Please don't, I'm not expecting the movie to be totally different but I do like to go into things fresh.
I had no clue what the movie was when I walked into it, I came out a huge fan. ^^
McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By McGhee

I also wish to add that Rooney Mara is so fucking sexy in this movie I fucking lost it.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By strainedeyes

@McGhee said:

@Geo7877 said:

@Dany said:

The Australia thing is definitely in the Swedish movie. It's not in the US one.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By McGhee

@Geo7877 said:

@McGhee said:

@Geo7877 said:

@Dany said:

The Australia thing is definitely in the Swedish movie.

Yes, sorry. I thought you were saying it the other way around.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dany

@Geo7877 said:

@McGhee said:

@Geo7877 said:

@Dany said:

The Australia thing is definitely in the Swedish movie.

Yep it was. Also lisbeth is never given the opportunity to kill martin, she asks Mikeil for his permission to kill Martin, as it occurred in the books, but she isn't presented with the 'moral question' because the fire kills him. The swedish film, IIRC, had her confront martin but not do anything only to have the fire kill him soon afterwards.

Why_So_Serious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Why_So_Serious
@Dany said:

@Why_So_Serious: THe swedish films do a more accurate job in portraying Lisbeth. You find her sexy, because you care about her and empethize with everything she's goen through. The books and swedish film portray her has a more sterile, cold and emotionless person, which I think makes her actions more interesting when she does do something 'emotional'

Now you see I guess its just my opinion but I liked that about the American version. The whole film she was such a violent and emotionally unstable person. But at the end the scene where she is playing chess with her old guardian was very powerful. She talked about how she finally found a friend, someone he would approve of, and that she was happy. That is the only time she gets to say that and only time we see actual emotion from her. To me that gives a character more life, if the sweidsh version portrays her as emotionless and bland then that sounds unappealing. I actually felt for her when she went through all the trouble at the end for Blomkvist and saw him walking away with his co-worker. 

To me just by seeing pictures from the Swedish film Noomi Rapace looks to, i dont know, clean for the role. She has like two piercings and not many tattoos. But that is just MY opinion.
strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By strainedeyes

Are the second and third books really that much better than the Swedish movies? There are a few things in the second movie that made the whole thing so goofy to me:

the big dude who can't feel pain, and her digging her way out of the ground after being shot, the whole evil mastermind father and half brother stuff to be specific.
Why_So_Serious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Why_So_Serious
@McGhee said:

I also wish to add that Rooney Mara is so fucking sexy in this movie I fucking lost it.

I know, right? Lol I was thinking the same thing. I didn't want to admit it to anyone cause I thought they would find me weird because I usually hate it when women tat up their bodies and have weird piercings but there is something that makes Rooney Mara so damn sexy as Lizbeth.
Avatar image for lemmycaution217
Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Lemmycaution217

Has anyone watched the extended editions of the Swedish films? How are they compared to the originals?

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Dany

@Why_So_Serious: She isn't bland, she is a hardcore 'bitch' whose actions are profound and should speak for themselves. In most respects, the swedish films portray lisbeth more honestly to the books.

@Geo7877 said:

Are the second and third books really that much better than the Swedish movies? There are a few things in the second movie that made the whole thing so goofy to me.

The movies are goofy, cheesy, and kind of terrible but I enjoyed the books much more. The first half of the second book is slow but when it picks up in the second half, it just GOES.

@Rudeboy217: I'd like to know this aswell, the second film felt like it has the most cut from it.

Why_So_Serious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Why_So_Serious
@Dany said:

@Why_So_Serious: She isn't bland, she is a hardcore 'bitch' whose actions are profound and should speak for themselves. In most respects, the swedish films portray lisbeth more honestly to the books.

Like I said its just my opinion lol, not trying to offend. I guess to me I like how she can be portrayed as a hardcore badass in the American version but can still develop attachments to people who treat her with a kindness she has never been given.
Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Dany

@Why_So_Serious: I know, :P I just disagree.

Why_So_Serious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Why_So_Serious
@Dany said:

@Why_So_Serious: I know, :P I just disagree.

I guess thats what makes some film adaptations awesome. It gives people a choice of what they prefer to see in a character. Allows them to sort of create the sort of character they see. Opinions are awesome! Just makes us who we are. I love an honest,  fun debate :)
McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By McGhee

@Dany said:

I have to disagree. I think the new movie shows a little more of Lisbeth's vulnerabilities both physically and mentally which is closer to the book. I don't remember her being quite as hardcore, tough chic as Rapace portrayed her.

oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By oatz

Disliked the book, very much dislike Stieg Larsson. Don't think I'll see either of the movies, as a Swedish native.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By Marz

I watched the original version, dunno if i want to watch the new version.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Dany

@oatz: Why's that?

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Never read the books, but I thought the movie was great. The rape scenes were hard to watch but the payoff was phenomenal.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By SSully

I was going to read the book before, but caved in and just saw the American version. I honestly thought it was just ok. I felt like they tried to do to much. To be more specific they had the whole Michael incident at the start, the girls murder, the whole rape thing, Lisabeth in general, etc. I felt that the murder was the main plot point of the whole story, but it ended up having a very weak ending and reveal. The best part of the movie was basically Lisabeth ending the whole rape thing, and the very ending of the movie, which to me is not the main focus of the movie.

Possibly a second viewing would make me think differently because I really did enjoy my time with the movie, I just started to dislike it after I thought about it after seeing it.