Has anyone noticed this weird stuff with retro games on Amazon?

DrIntrovert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DrIntrovert

So I was looking in to buying some old SNES games to expand my library, when I noticed some weird stuff going on with the pricing on Amazon. It seems like sellers are

1. Saying they are selling a new copy of 20-ish year old games, presumably so their price comes up first.
  2. Jacking up the price to ridiculous levels--for example, Super Mario World was listed for $400 as of this writing.

Has anyone else noticed this? Has this been happening for a while and I just noticed now or something? It's basically strait-up scamming.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#2  Edited By Kidavenger

Welcome to the internet, enjoy your stay!

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

There are plenty of sealed copies of old games out there. And they often fetch pretty crazy prices.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By nintendoeats

That sounds about right for a popular sealed SNES game. That shit is crazy dude.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By prestonhedges

Just emulate them.

SeanCoughing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By SeanCoughing

Or just buy them used, most popular SNES games are like 20 used, highest I've seen is super metroid for 40 and I've never had one not work.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By mosespippy

I was at a second hand clothing store earlier this month getting clothes for working on the farm. They had SNES games for $.50. If you can convince some fool to pay $400 then fair play to you. A fool and his money/buyer beware and all that.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By MikkaQ

I feel like a sealed Super Mario World would be worth more than 400 but maybe the box isn't in great shape or it's not been appraised by the VGA.

DrIntrovert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DrIntrovert

Really? I guess I never realized that there was that kind of market. I still wish that Amazon didn't default to putting that price front and center, it seems to me that most people searching for that kind of game would be looking for it used (I certainly am).

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By spiceninja

Amazon sellers can be scumbags. As soon as something goes out of stock, even just for a little bit, they jack up the prices to unreasonable amounts. For example, I've been keeping an eye on the Last Story for a bit because I intend on buying it soon. It went out of stock for about 5 days and during that time used prices were upwards of $50 and new prices got up to $70. And forget about buying Xenoblade Chronicles on Amazon. Since it's only being sold at GameStop, Amazon sellers have taken advantage of that and are selling it for upwards of $200. It's ridiculous, not only to price something like that but to expect that anyone will pay it when they can just go to GameStop and get it for $50. Amazon sellers are bad people.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By TyCobb

@PlasmaBeam44 said:

Amazon sellers can be scumbags. As soon as something goes out of stock, even just for a little bit, they jack up the prices to unreasonable amounts. For example, I've been keeping an eye on the Last Story for a bit because I intend on buying it soon. It went out of stock for about 5 days and during that time used prices were upwards of $50 and new prices got up to $70. And forget about buying Xenoblade Chronicles on Amazon. Since it's only being sold as GameStop, Amazon sellers have taken advantage of that and are selling it for upwards of $200. It's ridiculous, not only to price something like that but to expect that anyone will pay it when they can just go to GameStop and get it for $50. Amazon sellers are bad people.

Supply and demand my friend.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By EVO

That's nothing. On eBay people like this guy are asking for $700 for a sealed deluxe edition of Catherine, 10 times more than what Amazon are selling it for. This guy's asking for nearly $2000 for a sealed limited edition copy of Dead Space.

There's some delusional people out there.

L44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By L44

@EVO: Oh man using that logic I could sell my sealed collectors edition Lost Planet for like a grand at least.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Evilsbane

@MattyFTM said:

There are plenty of sealed copies of old games out there. And they often fetch pretty crazy prices.

I got this Sealed mint condition Madden '10 for the Xbox 360 any takers? Ah? EH?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#15  Edited By Hailinel
@MattyFTM

And some not so crazy. I've bought a number of old games on Amazon brand new without trouble.
SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By SomeDeliCook

This isn't just for retro games, its for anything in mint or sealed condition that is old

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Justin258

That is fucking nuts.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By lego_my_eggo

@Hailinel said:

@MattyFTM

And some not so crazy. I've bought a number of old games on Amazon brand new without trouble.

Yeah, they still have some good RPG's for the PS1 brand new and sold by amazon themselves. But if amazon itself is not selling it then it is normally marked up a good bit, or its a "special edition" of new games sometimes marked up hundreds of dollars for no reason.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#19  Edited By DarthOrange

Amazon sellers are known to be dicks, especially during the holidays with hard to find toys that are sold out because assholes buy them in bulk to sell at ridiculous prices to ridiculous parents willing to buy them.

DrIntrovert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DrIntrovert

It seems like ebay is more in line with what I'm looking for, which kinda sucks because I have some credit with Amazon right now. Hopefully things will clear up after the holidays.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By I_smell
TIRphotog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TIRphotog

I've looked up some of the out of print sim games and they are charging crazy prices for a new unboxed copy of some of those. I guess it's to be expected though.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By williamhenry

@DarthOrange said:

Amazon sellers are known to be dicks, especially during the holidays with hard to find toys that are sold out because assholes buy them in bulk to sell at ridiculous prices to ridiculous parents willing to buy them.

Don't put that solely on Amazon resellers. Stuff like that happens on every site with a seller marketplace.