• 59 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5c15a9c63664d
#1 Edited by deactivated-5c15a9c63664d (190 posts) -

So this aired during the Super Bowl pregame show. When watching it, I did not laugh or was confused or was curious, but one feeling did overwhelm me. The stench of Max Temkin. Look, I think CAH is fun and all, but stuff like this and the giant pit just makes me think that the guys there are a one-trick-pony with nothing else to offer.

I'm not angry or whatever, but I just think they should be making cool stuff that delights and lasts instead of "hilarious" post-modern art.

#2 Edited by Levius (1358 posts) -

To be honest, they are more a case study in viral/offbeat marketing than a game design company. Like the hole thing, they literally got people to pay for their marketing campaign. It's brilliant, but it's just manipulating people on the internet who should know better; people value being part of some internet zeitgeist than their money.

#3 Posted by Monkeyman04 (2792 posts) -

Don't know if this is still them fucking with people, but it seems like they might be going under after that advert.

#4 Posted by SethMode (1888 posts) -

@monkeyman04: reading that, it is definitely them fucking around. There is a section about potato selection and its relation to their existential brand experience.

#5 Edited by MezZa (3038 posts) -

@monkeyman04 said:

Don't know if this is still them fucking with people, but it seems like they might be going under after that advert.

The way that is written makes me feel like its a continuation of the joke. They way they describe their process of hiring professionals to pitch all these by the books ideas makes me think they're doing all of this to make fun of the super bowl commercial culture. Poking at the way companies put so much effort into trying to create some perfect commercial in a lab and shell out big bucks to get it aired. Reads like an onion article to me...which now that I think of it is a weird thing to say about an article about a commercial about a potato.

#6 Posted by Monkeyman04 (2792 posts) -

@mezza: @sethmode: I guess that's what I get for just skimming it and not fully reading it. They totally got me. U_U

#7 Posted by captain_max707 (671 posts) -

@monkeyman04: Seems pretty sarcastic to me, I'm sure they're fine.

#8 Posted by ArbitraryWater (15668 posts) -

Wait, are you telling me that Cards Against Humanity engaged in a stupid stunt as some sort of art piece or commentary on capitalism? That is shocking and has never happened before in their entire history.

Still think they should've stopped at sending people literal shit from a bull, but hey, they can do what they want with their money.

#9 Posted by Fugoy (109 posts) -

You say jumped the shark but they've still been making plenty of money stunt after stunt. They sent people literal shit from a literal bull in a box and people bought it. They dug a hole and had people pay to keep digging said hole. They even got people to pay for absolutely nothing.

God bless em

#10 Posted by bobeta (62 posts) -

Who is still buying Cards Against Humanity decks?

#11 Posted by OurSin_360 (6119 posts) -

lmao, I admire the length they go for a gag.

#12 Posted by sammo21 (5963 posts) -

I am part of a rather large gaming group and noone wants to play this game anymore. Closest thing people want to play to this is Joking Hazard.

As a side note I really hope Giant Bomb doesn't share their PAX show with them again. Definitely my least favorite of all that they've done.

#13 Posted by greylion (55 posts) -

This is only kind of related, but whatever happened to that Giant Bomb x Cards Against Humanity expansion? Was there ever any news about that after the announcement on what was going to happen to it?

#14 Posted by The_Nubster (3998 posts) -

My favorite CAH trick is the part where they manage to get people irrationally angry despite not doing much of anything. (My other favourite thing is where people ignore the enormous and generous amount of charity work they have done)

They're one part game company and one part performance art. Their approach is obviously valid, and your reaction is exactly, precisely, 100% what they're looking for. This is Starbucks spelling names wrong. This is Coke putting relationships and names on their bottles. This is what "three emojis or less" looks like in the hands of competent, capable marketers. Regardless of whether you like it or hate it, you're talking about it and making other people aware.

#15 Posted by Milkman (19263 posts) -

I assume these stunts are meant to annoy people like everyone complaining in this thread so I'd say they're doing a fine job.

#16 Posted by ArtisanBreads (9107 posts) -

I don't get why so many people care what they do anymore. Besides having to sit through their part of the panel this last year.

#17 Posted by SquirrelGOD (597 posts) -

A dumb company with dumb marketing stunts that appeals to dumb people. It's pretty brilliant!

#18 Posted by Makayu (280 posts) -

It's just a Post-Modern art thing, challenging the standards and all that. People have been doing stuff like this for the last century. Urinals in art museums, performance art on late night TV and now this. It's trite, but cards against humanity always has been for me.

#19 Posted by WheresDerrick (326 posts) -

Cards Against Humanity IS the shark

#20 Posted by SamFo (1676 posts) -

I haven't played the game in ages. Got over it.

The Max Temkin rape allegations and this kind of stuff just made me less interested in the brand.

They're doing their thing and more power to them and anyone who finds it funny.

Just not for me anymore.

#21 Posted by ripelivejam (13106 posts) -

i think the only place they can go from here is shifting focus and making off brand yu-gi-oh cards instead.

#22 Posted by forteexe21 (2020 posts) -

They should have just gone back to the esports oatmeal.

#23 Posted by paulmako (1958 posts) -

Well they have this thread on giant bomb now so something worked.

Game was very fun when I first played it around 2012 but I've played it more than enough now. So it jumped the shark for me a couple of years ago.

#24 Posted by stordoff (1361 posts) -

@samfo said:

The Max Temkin rape allegations and this kind of stuff just made me less interested in the brand.

Was there ever anything to substantiate that claim (claims?)? I don't like Temkin (I find him abrasive), but a single unfounded allegation year after the fact doesn't carry a huge amount of weight IMO.

#25 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (2304 posts) -

@greylion said:

This is only kind of related, but whatever happened to that Giant Bomb x Cards Against Humanity expansion? Was there ever any news about that after the announcement on what was going to happen to it?

From what I remember that was Ryans thing. So it will probable never happen.

@stordoff said:
@samfo said:

Was there ever anything to substantiate that claim (claims?)? I don't like Temkin (I find him abrasive), but a single unfounded allegation year after the fact doesn't carry a huge amount of weight IMO.

Thats why rape allegations are so fucking dangerous. Even if you are proven innocent (or well, not guilty) there is a huge black spot on your vest you will never be able to clean.

#26 Edited by dudeglove (13684 posts) -
#27 Edited by ALavaPenguin (948 posts) -

Honestly I never got how this guy and this company was on the website so often. I personally always found the guy kinda obnoxious and repelling of a personality when he was on things, but somehow this has almost gotten to levels of feeling that it was a"sister company" to giant bomb at points in time. It was funny watching them play a dirty apples to apples ripoff once, but I don't get how that thing constantly gets a Pax Panel or how that company was ever interesting enough to be featured on this website as much as it has been.

I imagine a lot of it's pervasiveness on this website has to do with when Patrick worked there for a a fair while at the office until he left but even before that it always felt a bit too much. I don't know, I mean it is fine spend their money how they want on dumb ads and whatnot. However, I never found these stunts even slightly funny, and they smell like someone trying hard to be some political activist/artist [artivist?] in some heavy handed societal commentary stunt that is always too shallow to be actually interesting. Like, they seem like they are trying too hard to be "deep" when they are just about as shallow of a commentary as you could make.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
#28 Edited by deactivated-5b85a38d6c493 (1990 posts) -

I get what they are doing but I also don't find it especially clever or interesting. But then again I guess that is the point.

Seems like whatever criticism you might have for their social commentary stunts, it can simply be refuted with a "It's supposed to be terrible".

@alavapenguin: I always thought Ryan was the one who was really close with CAH. I think he hosted some of their panels, or was part of it at least.

#29 Edited by ALavaPenguin (948 posts) -

@magmamud: Yeah, they are supposed to be terrible and stupid, as that is the only reason they get attention, but it always comes from some sort of trite commentary that just comes off as them trying too hard to be edgy to me. I mean the hole thing that was also mentioned that they did was a perfect example of this.

Yeah I think Ryan was a large part of that for a long time, but still always felt out of place on the website in relation to how much it would constantly pop up for the longest time on here.

#30 Posted by imsh_pl (4208 posts) -

It's pretty fucking great.

CAH's marketing is this very rare type which rests on no outrageous/offensive statement to attract attention, and instead the form itself is enough to make people who want to be angry compelled to express an opinion. It's like a synthesized, pure bait grown in a lab.

It's almost unheard of to expose how huge numbers of people can get angry over literally nothing, and God bless 'em for successfully doing that.

#31 Edited by 49th (3887 posts) -

You know what, I would never spend my own money on this stuff and I do think it's a little show-offy, but I'm still glad someone out there is doing stuff like this.

I've definitely thought about what it would be like to gather a bunch of money for an ad just to put some stupid crap there.

#32 Posted by jszyarto (32 posts) -

I thought it was pretty funny but yeah inching close to jumping the shark.

#33 Posted by matoya (775 posts) -

Max Temkin is fucking repugnant. An awful human being

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
#34 Posted by Do_The_Manta_Ray (1629 posts) -

Hah, that is pretty funny. Not so much the actual advertisement itself, but the image of the tens of thousands at home just staring, completely bewildered at what they're seeing. I'm A-Okay with that.

Could this have been done better? Probably, but still.. They're having a laugh, let 'em.

#35 Posted by Humanity (18589 posts) -

I think a lot of things they've done have been very lame. I never thought the game itself was that good either - like I didn't see the appeal of sitting in a circle coming up with like the narliest burns maaan. AIDS bear? Woah dood woah you're pushing the envelope.

But it's their money. Max Temkin could liquidate the company assets and launch them into space for all I (or anyone else for that matter) should care.

#36 Edited by cmblasko (2907 posts) -

Why is this ad annoying and the ones attempting to play on your emotions and beliefs to get you to buy a car or a pair of jeans not annoying.

#37 Edited by deactivated-5b85a38d6c493 (1990 posts) -

@cmblasko: Why not both? Personally I despise ads which is a reason for why I haven't been watching any TV for over 5 years.

#38 Edited by mellotronrules (2551 posts) -

meh- i rate this at half-clever.

i like CAH's intentions, but i don't find any of their work particularly hilarious, subversive or thought-provoking (the original game included). they seem to have more money than great ideas- which actually seems pretty common.

#39 Posted by Teddie (2110 posts) -

I'm cool with it if someone ate that potato afterwards. Potatoes are the best.

#40 Posted by deactivated-5b85a38d6c493 (1990 posts) -

@teddie: You wouldn't eat a raw potato though...right? You're not some kind of monster I hope!?

#41 Posted by WynnDuffy (1289 posts) -

CAH is that thing that was funny for a while and then those guys did nothing but try and drag that out. Temkin has no backbone.

#42 Posted by forkboy (1650 posts) -

I mostly agree with Rab's view on the game as well. It's not actually a good game. OK, it's fun with a good crowd of people that you know won't take offensive shit the wrong way, but so is just saying generally outlandish shit with the same people. Any game, even Monopoly, can be fun with a good crowd of people and that doesn't change that Monopoly is by modern standards a very poorly designed game. There's a reason so many people get caught up in "their" edition of Dungeons & Dragons, it's not that the mechanics are necessarily great, it's that they played it with a group of friends, probably while in their teens, so have fond memories of it.

#43 Edited by Jesus_Phish (3766 posts) -

@forkboy said:

I mostly agree with Rab's view on the game as well. It's not actually a good game. OK, it's fun with a good crowd of people that you know won't take offensive shit the wrong way, but so is just saying generally outlandish shit with the same people. Any game, even Monopoly, can be fun with a good crowd of people and that doesn't change that Monopoly is by modern standards a very poorly designed game. There's a reason so many people get caught up in "their" edition of Dungeons & Dragons, it's not that the mechanics are necessarily great, it's that they played it with a group of friends, probably while in their teens, so have fond memories of it.

Shut up and Sit Down give it a similar review but without going off on the accusations at the time, they just keep it to the game an why it's not a very good game at all. Something like Drawful and Quiplash are infinitely more fun and allow you to be as crude or tame as you like while still enjoying the game. As opposed to CAH which is either "this is funny cause it's bold but it's the cards that did it" or yet another round of "Oh nobody had good cards this time".

*EDIT*

Also, Monopoly is generally fine if you play by the proper rules. But most people don't do that so it takes way too long and goes on forever.

#44 Posted by forkboy (1650 posts) -

I honestly think Monopoly is a game where no matter how you play it, you can be stuck playing for ages despite being so far in the hole that there is no actual way to come back. Which is just the antithesis of good game design. It's a real bummer.

#45 Posted by Onemanarmyy (4178 posts) -

@forkboy: I played monopoly weekly with 3 players for a while, and we would finish most games within 2 hours of starting it. We just stop once someone is bankrupt. It is a very snowbally game though, If you take the first hit, you're probably going to lose the game.

#46 Posted by BetaBand (397 posts) -

@matoya said:

Tell us how you REALLY feel.

#47 Posted by ShaggE (9215 posts) -

I have nothing to say about CAH other than "It was fun for a while and the potato thing was amusing", but I want in on this Fuck Monopoly train.

Ey yo... fuck Monopoly, though. I'm on that Don't Wake Daddy tip. Now THAT'S a game!

#48 Posted by matoya (775 posts) -

@betaband said:
@matoya said:

Tell us how you REALLY feel.

I'd never reveal my true thoughts on this website. The moderation team is too strict

#49 Posted by bobeta (62 posts) -

There used to be this great version of online Monopoly that moved super quick and games could get done in an hour. It was on games.com I remember. Then the site got bought out and the game totally disapeared.

#50 Posted by Wlleiotl (310 posts) -

This is brilliant and the medium article is perfect.