• 145 results
sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

sgtsphynx  Moderator

Poll Have you seen Citizen Kane? (567 votes)

Yes 56%
No 44%

This topic got me thinking... Citizen Kane is one of those movies that I feel, as time goes on, a lower and lower percentage of people will have seen it. Hell, the first (and only) time I've seen it was last semester and only for a class.

I could be wrong in my feeling and was wanting to know if there was any validity to it or if I was way off. I realize the sample on the GB forums isn't exactly representative of the population at large, but what can you do?

• 
kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

It's amazing how many people here haven't. That is insane to me. Then again, I had to watch it because I took several film classes.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#102 MattyFTM  Moderator

I've seen the first half hour of it. It was on the TV a while back and I thought I should watch it to see what the fuss was about. I got bored and decided to do something else. I'm sure in it's time it was amazing and groundbreaking, but I don't think it holds up.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 sgtsphynx  Moderator

@blu3v3nom07: It's my favorite movie, hope you like it. Also, I posted my paper about it a few weeks back in my blog

fyrtail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I watched it my in my sophomore year of high school for my English class. I'm pretty sure I was the only one in the class that enjoyed it.

Toastburner_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

When I first got Netflix years ago, Citizen Kane was one of the first films I got from it, just to "check it off the list" I guess. Like others here I came away disappointed. After hearing about how it's the "greatest movie ever" for pretty much my entire life, and not being deep enough into film studies or what have you to get how groundbreaking it was in a technical sense, it just didn't have an impact on me. I'm sitting here trying to think about it and I can't remember much from the movie itself.

MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, I've seen for film studies as some others here have. I think many young people view Citizen Kane as some artsy-fartsy film snob's raison d'etre, when in actuality it created many techniques used in film making to this day. It shouldn't be a requirement to be viewed to enjoy movies, but you cannot deny what that movie did FOR film as a whole.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#107  Edited By coaxmetal

i replied yes but I was distracted because actually I have no seen it, now the results are polluted

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Just to represent the other perspective:

• I watched it for the fist time ~ 5 years ago.
  • Never been into film seriously.
  • Thought it was amazing.
  • You don't need to know anything to love some of the cameras in that movie. It's like appreciating Amnesia's scary ass camera angles. Some stuff is just obvious.
LittleWask

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a very good movie. Though it doesn't crack my top ten, I definitely understand why it tops "best of all time" lists. It's greatest and most unique feat is how inherently watchable it is after 74 years. It's well shot, terrifically acted, well written, and emotionally raw in a way many classic films aren't. It doesn't feel reserved.

It is watchable in ways that The Godfather and 2001 will never be, which is especially incredible considering Kane's age, length, and scope. Excellent flick.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 sgtsphynx  Moderator

I must admit that the ratio of people who haven't seen it to those who have is higher than I expected it to be.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Nope.

Aronleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes I did about 10 years ago too, its a film that if you care about films in any other way than just entertaiment you should see, if you are the kind of person that only want fun in movies then no stay away from it.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

Yeah I saw it because everyone said it was good and it was. :)

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was good. The really tradigty was that Orson Wells' last roll was Unicron in The Transformers: The Movie, a movie designed to sell new toys...

in a totally unrelated note, Jimmy Stewart's last role was Wylie Burp in An American Tail: Fievel Goes West.

void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#116  Edited By void

I saw it like 10 years ago and thought it was OK (I'm 30). I wanted to appreciate old movies more so I started a project where I try to see all movies worth seeing since 1915 in chronological order. About 40 films later I'm getting there. Currently at year 1936. I've seen some really good movies that most people will never watch. It's kind of sad. (Metropolis from 1927. Holy shit it's impressive for its time.)

LisaTiffany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yes but only once I got to film school, it wasn't bad at all but things like The Simpsons and pop culture had kind or ruined the ending.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If blockbuster was still a thing I probably would have gotten to it by now. Probably won't see it unless it comes to netflix

MrWakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've seen it, but honestly missed whatever was particularly brilliant about it, which isn't to say it isn't, just that I didn't 'get' whatever it was that made it such a classic.

A lot of it may have to be that while it was a ground breaking film, I had already seen hundreds of films that had come after, and thus didn't get the impact. Then again I also saw Kurosawa's films after I had seen a lot of films and thought they were brilliant, so yeah... I didn't get it, whatever 'it' was.

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I've seen it five times now. Absolutely love it.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I have absolutely no desire to.

RonnieBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightriff: I feel about Citizen Kane the same way Jeff feels about Half-Life 2; it's a super important and super influential. I don't think it is possible to name a more influential film than Citizen Kane, but I don't think it is a "great" film. It's a good film, but that's as far as I will go.

As distasteful as its subject matter is, I would argue that D.W. Griffith's "The Birth of a Nation" is comparable to "Citizen Kane" in influence. It was basically Griffith taking all these randomly-applied techniques of early film-making – the "throwing stuff against the wall to see if it sticks" approach, if you will – and synthesizing them into modern movies.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 sgtsphynx  Moderator

@ronniebarzel: Birth of a Nation is most certainly an influential film, maybe not as influential as CK, but it is definitely up there.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#124 FinalDasa  Moderator

I read a good chunk of the book but never finished it. And never seen the movie either.

I'd really like to sit down and watch it but unless it pops up on Netflix at some point I doubt I'll spend time/money seeking it out.

If my local theater (like old school theater not a typical multi-plex) had it showing I might go see it there. Get a "truer" experience.

Solidsnak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

saw it while in high school, found it boring.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No but I have seen Touch of Evil. I'm sure I'll watch it eventually but it isn't particularly high on the priority list vs stuff like Kurosawa.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup. Believe the hype.

Colony024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I have. Credit for what it did at the time it did it in, but as a movie in this day and age... so slow, so... yawn. I'll take Casablanca, only one year later, any day. Now there's a movie that still holds up, also pacing-wise. Hell, Browning's 1932 Freaks has better pacing. And I love me some old-ass movies, but Citizen Kane, not so much. Which reminds me, time to watch Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari again.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I watched it once a few years ago. I remember being fascinated by it at the time, but I've yet to watch it again and, honestly, I don't remember much of it now. As far as old-ass b&w movies go I'd much rather watch 12 Angry Men or Metropolis.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The first 10mins are dreadful. Enough to not care to watch the rest.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, it is fucking badass. It's totally not my favorite but when people want to say it is the greatest, or one of the best, that's totally valid.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that Citizen Kane is overrated by people who put more value on historical importance than whether the film holds up to the behemoths that have been released since. I have watched the movie twice and the second viewing only reinforced my opinion.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#134  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I think that Citizen Kane is overrated by people who put more value on historical importance than whether the film holds up to the behemoths that have been released since. I have watched the movie twice and the second viewing only reinforced my opinion.

It's still pretty watchable for a movie in its 70's.

OGJackWagon69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, but I own a copy of it and have been meaning to watch it for the past year or so.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I saw it when I was 15, when I wanted to understand jokes in Tiny Toons and Simpsons. God, the amount of popculture spoilers from those shows. Animaniacs I had to watch Apocalypse Now to get that joke.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By monetarydread

@sethphotopoulos: Am I saying that it is a bad movie? No. Am I saying that it is worse than the movies that came out in the era? Fuck yeah, I am. What I am saying is that movies like Citizen Kane were groundbreaking and instrumental to the development of the genre, but that doesn't mean that it should automatically be held on a pedestal for all to admire because of that. I believe that movies should be judged in the context of the viewer in their present state, not the context of a viewer seeing it back in the day. As someone who watched Citizen Kane after spending 40 years watching the great films, released in that time, that CK seems a bit basic and underdeveloped in comparison to the movies that have expanded and perfected what Orson Wells was trying to accomplish in the first place.

I watched CK and thought that the cinematography was alright (groundbreaking for its time, but there has been a lot of progression in this area since), the pacing was inconsistant, I have never been a big fan of that fragmented storytelling (plus I think that Lost did a better job than this movie), and this film didn't change my opinion of the acting from this era (the acting felt like an extension of a Broadway play instead of the realism that was perfected in the 60's and 70's).

Windir2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep. Saw it on my own accord in High School and loved it and then saw it again in my university film class. It's amazing how well it holds up.

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

To really appreciate Citizen Kane, you have to realize the impact it had on the movie industry. Watching movies before 1940 is almost like watching film from a stage play. Orson Welles practically taught Hollywood how to frame their shots, how to use perspective, and tell a good story while going so. Not to mention that this was his debut. No movie has influenced filmmaking as Citizen Kane has. When they talk about the Citizen Kane of video games, they shouldn't talk about a refinement on existing ideas, but something entirely new that will define video games going forward.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was lucky enough to see it at a screening at the local theatres I think three years ago? I thought it was quite good, but don't get why it's one of the greatest films ever made... until you realise that much of its reverence comes from the revolutionary/innovative ways of filmmaking that influenced films that came after.

It's like watching Seinfeld for the first time now. You might think it's just a run of the mill sitcom, but really it informed the next few decades of sitcoms.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@probablytuna said:

I was lucky enough to see it at a screening at the local theatres I think three years ago? I thought it was quite good, but don't get why it's one of the greatest films ever made... until you realise that much of its reverence comes from the revolutionary/innovative ways of filmmaking that influenced films that came after.

It's like watching Seinfeld for the first time now. You might think it's just a run of the mill sitcom, but really it informed the next few decades of sitcoms.

I've only seen Seinfeld for the first time a few years ago and I think it's one of the best sitcoms out there. But yeah I see where you're coming from.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#142  Edited By LackingSaint

Yeah I saw it when I was about 16, really loved it. Have watched it a few times since, still one of my favourite movies (number 15 to be exact!).

The historical significance and technical innovation is definitely a cherry-on-top, but honestly I just really enjoyed it. I feel like you could largely take the same script and shoot it now, and you'd still have a fantastic character study of a man's rise and fall.

People that watched it thinking "Well some critic said it was the greatest movie ever made" and came away disappointed, I have no idea what you were hoping for, especially if you were looking at it from the perspective of "Well yeah but some things that were made like 60 years later do some things better".

Pe4chy_96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Pe4chy_96

If you love cinema, you cant miss this movie :)

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, but I probably should.

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw it for the same reason as OP, it was part of the movies to watch in my film class last year. It's conceptually interesting and I can see how it influenced cinema in many important ways, but Citizen Kane didn't hold my interest as a standalone story.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've seen it twice so far. The first time about 5 or 6 years or so ago. Watched it because I made a point to watch (and read) everything that's generally considered to be an all time classic.

I think it still holds up as a great movie, but maybe isn't as good as most people say it is.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Noooooooooope!

tomobedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It´s a really good movie and certainly impressive, it has ceilings! Welles really tought a lot and gave birth to modern film making, and i always have tought that the title of best movie of the history has hurt it more than helped it, people usually comes in with crazy expectations that couldn´t be met, there´s a lot of movies that i like more from Wells himself i like more chimes at midnight, but anyone who loves movies should see the movie at least once

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Yes, I have, and I still put it in my top 3 films ever. It shows a golden age of acting that is long lost today, and the shooting techniques/cinematography/camera work is still absolutely fucking amazing.