AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By AssInAss

Never read the book.

Saw it with a whole group of friends here in Prague. The screenings were packed all day like it was some big franchise movie! I thought it bombed in USA, but I guess Europeans are more receptive to such a movie that balances artiness with commercial. This movie was an event. The levels of Inception, where you're still talking about it long after you've left the cinema.

So much to take away from it. Would gladly watch it again. As days go, I come away with new things like the visual symphony angle.

It was so complex, beautiful, unique, funny, intense, and meaningful. Everyone was laughing during the geriatric mental house parts. The near-western language in post-apolycaptic world was cool to figure out. Some of the best editing/transitions I've ever seen. Ridiculous ambition mixing all genres of movies.

The theme of leaving a positive mark on future generations, how a revolution will have sacrifices and the good consequences won't be immediate until many years later.

"Our lives are not our own, we are bound to others, past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future."

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By nightriff

It kinda looked like shit and I would rather the Wakowski (?) Siblings do Speed Racer 2. Now THAT was an event

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By toowalrus

Nobody can deny that that Cloud Atlas had more Tom Hanks than any other movie this year.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By veektarius

I probably would have seen Cloud Atlas if Tom Hanks weren't in it.

Wertt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Wertt

Loved the book, went into the movie not expecting much, and was pleasantly surprised. Both my wife and I found it moving and effective, more than we anticipated. It actually did manage to capture some of the magic of the book. Each time period really stood on its own and was fun to watch. That said, after the movie was over we heard some audience members who were clearly confused by what they had just seen...so reading the book probably helps a lot.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I saw both Cloud Atlas and Inception and Cloud Atlas is nowhere near as good.

qawsed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By qawsed

It's the Catherine of cinema.

It's the greatest thing in the world, and the worst thing ever.

commonoutlier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By commonoutlier

I really enjoyed that movie, probably my favorite that I saw this fall (I'm not sure where it ranks in my overall favorite movies, though). Haven’t read the book, but I certainly want to after seeing it. It is also definitely one of those movies you have to see twice to see everything...unfortunately I did not have the chance to before it left theaters where I live.

It seemed to me to be one of those very ambitious, unusual movies that you’d think would only be made by some indie studio who didn’t have the resources to do the story justice, yet here we are with big names in it like Tom Hanks (which I know isn't everyone's cup of tea). It also reminded me a bit of The Fountain (2006), which is another movie I quite enjoyed. Of course, it is also one of those movies I could see confusing people (luckily I wasn't one of them)...

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By stinky

hope it does well, its not your regular up of tea movie which is a good thing.   
and probably the most ambitious movie i've ever seen as well. 

never read the book and i dont think its necessary, but referring to my first line, i can see why people may be confused as it leaves the typical hollywood formula.  bad guys commit a crime, good guys go after bad guys, good guys win. 

you have to think in this one, can't just go there to escape the real world.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior
Wikitoups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Wikitoups

@qawsed said:

It's the Catherine of cinema.

It's the greatest thing in the world, and the worst thing ever.

DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By DriveupLife

I thought the movie was great. Every different setting had a good storyline that kept my attention during this marathon of a movie (and I only took one bathroom break I think). Favorite Timeline was the Cloud Atlas Symphony timeline, least favorite was the riding across the ocean during slavery timeline. Overall great movie.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@Nightriff said:

It kinda looked like shit and I would rather the Wakowski (?) Siblings do Speed Racer 2. Now THAT was an event

Goddamnit, I fucking loved Speed Racer.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Watched it with my brother and we both enjoyed it. He was a bit taken aback by how confused it left him but I just enjoyed the film as a whole. Really left you thinking after it has ended.

And thinking is good. I think.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Vonocourt

Went in with casual disinterest, left with casual disinterest. It was impressive how the movie more or less managed to handle like six storylines at the same time without devolving into a giant mess, but all to often the movie had a monologue from a character going over a montage of "high stakes" moments in the other storylines. That and none of the storyies were really that interesting by themselves(especially the future's future, true true). But goddamn it if Keith David didn't instantly wake me up when he popped up.

LibraryDues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By LibraryDues

I really enjoyed it, and it's a shame that it's bombed as badly as it has. It's flawed in a lot of ways, but it's stuck with me in a way few flicks have this year, and had some really striking moments (I'm thinking of the ship rigging / Neo Soul bridge crosscutting and Hugo Weaving's Old Georgie confronting Tom Hanks as they climb the Hawaiian volcano).

Not to mention how shockingly well paced it was. Almost three hours, and I don't think I was ever bored.

Sadly the film's dialogue doesn't measure up to the visuals, and the themes are far more eloquently expressed through the editing and the connections between the actors (like Jim Sturgess's freeing slaves across different stories) than when a character gives a big speech about the meaning of the movie, which is mainly a dull word salad of new-agey buzzwords. Sonmi's big climactic broadcast kinda lands with a thud. I much preferred Hugo Weaving's big harangue about the naiveté and futility of the abolitionist movement, which *was* actually quite moving, given what the audience knows about that history.

The strengths definitely outweighed the weaknesses, though. And it has Hugh Grant eating people and Keith David running around in pretty much the exact costume from Shaft, so that's a big plus.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By nightriff

@HistoryInRust said:

@Nightriff said:

Goddamnit, I fucking loved Speed Racer.

Hell yeah you did. Speed Racer was fucking amazing and everyone I have shown it too thought it was going to be terrible and loved it at the end. Fucking awesome movie.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AssInAss

@commonoutlier said:

I really enjoyed that movie, probably my favorite that I saw this fall (I'm not sure where it ranks in my overall favorite movies, though). Haven’t read the book, but I certainly want to after seeing it. It is also definitely one of those movies you have to see twice to see everything...unfortunately I did not have the chance to before it left theaters where I live.

It seemed to me to be one of those very ambitious, unusual movies that you’d think would only be made by some indie studio who didn’t have the resources to do the story justice, yet here we are with big names in it like Tom Hanks (which I know isn't everyone's cup of tea). It also reminded me a bit of The Fountain (2006), which is another movie I quite enjoyed. Of course, it is also one of those movies I could see confusing people (luckily I wasn't one of them)...

Pretty much what Moviebob mentions in his review:

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By colourful_hippie

I should watch that, it looked really ambitious in what it was trying to do but I could easily see the thing caving in on itself.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By envane

osamu tezuka's Phoenix does very similar things with its grand story that spans the entirety of human existence , i haven't read the book of cloud atlas but i totally see similarities int he way the films narrative has been constructed, definitely some homage in there.

but yeh ..overall its a pretty awesome , transcendental and evocative movie.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

I thought it was pretty interesting, if somewhat of a huge mess of a movie. Some of the stories fit together better then others and there were pretty great performances all around. The makeup in the future Korea sections was bad enough to be distracting but the rest of the visuals did a good job of picking up the slack. The people I went with pretty much all hated it and I can understand why the movie bombed. But yeah, interesting experiment, I'd probably give it another watch.

Trainer_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Trainer_Red

@Nightriff: Hey.. Some of us liked Speed Racer.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By nightriff

@Trainer_Red: I fucking loved the movie, why I wanted to see a sequel over....this

Mastercheesey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By Mastercheesey

I thought the idea of reincarnation wasn't complex at all and that the movie was extremely disappointing.

Trainer_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Trainer_Red

@Nightriff: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. - Read that differently.

But yeah... Speed Racer was awesome and it deserves at least a solid trilogy AT LEAST.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#26  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I don't know, I didn't really enjoy Cloud Atlas at all. It felt very much like the Heaven's Gate of our generation: overly ambitious, stretched thin, and without real heart.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#27  Edited By Little_Socrates

I really hope to see it soon.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I wanted to watch it but then it got a shitty review in the paper but at the same time people who watched it said it was an interesting movie and that I should watch it.......  I really should stop listening to my local paper's reviews.  Its the reason why I didnt watch 21 Jump Street because the snobby reviewer said she didnt find the movie funny.  All of my friends said that movie was hilarious.  

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By GalacticPunt

Crap, this thread reminds me that I need to see that movie. Thanks!

Glad to hear that it's doing better overseas. The closer it gets to breaking even, the more that the Wachowski siblings can continue to do their own freaky thing.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By kindgineer

It looks like a movie that is trying to hard, or will simply fly over my head. I'm in no means a movie-fanatic, so a lot of times the "meanings" of movies completely miss their mark. It looks interesting, but unless it crosses my path in some way down the road, I doubt I'll fancy it a watch. I'm glad to hear people are enjoying it, though.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AssInAss
@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG
Yeah I wanted to watch it but then it got a shitty review in the paper but at the same time people who watched it said it was an interesting movie and that I should watch it.......  I really should stop listening to my local paper's reviews.  Its the reason why I didnt watch 21 Jump Street because the snobby reviewer said she didnt find the movie funny.  All of my friends said that movie was hilarious.  
You missed out on the best comedy this year? Yeah stop listening to that rag :P
nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By nightriff

@Trainer_Red said:

But yeah... Speed Racer was awesome and it deserves at least a solid trilogy AT LEAST.

Fuck that, Saga. Shit Star Wars getting a 7th, Speed Racer should be like the Bond franchise then

commonoutlier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By commonoutlier

@AssInAss: Haha, I'm not surprised, my friends and I tend to have similar opinions (of course not always) as MovieBob...plus some of his ideas probably rub off on me since my friends watch his show, and we talk about movies we all see frequently (including "what did MovieBob say about it").

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

It looked interesting to me and I did want to see it. Alas, I am single. Going to the movies alone just seems weird to me. When it comes out on DVD, I'll watch it then,

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AssInAss

@commonoutlier said:

@AssInAss: Haha, I'm not surprised, my friends and I tend to have similar opinions (of course not always) as MovieBob...plus some of his ideas probably rub off on me since my friends watch his show, and we talk about movies we all see frequently (including "what did MovieBob say about it").

Yeah, sometimes he has a big comic book bias and the Sucker Punch loving still confuses me even after his explanations but on just normal films me and him have aligned opinions.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36  Edited By wrighteous86

@Trainer_Red said:

So does The Matrix.

Boom!

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By Getz

Cloud Atlas was the shit. Best movie I saw all year.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By benpicko

People actually liked Speed Racer? Why?

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SSully

Easily one of my biggest disappointments this year is missing this movie while in theater's. I loved the book and was ecstatic for the movie, but by the time I was able to go, it was not longer in my local theaters.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@AssInAss said:

@commonoutlier said:

Pretty much what Moviebob mentions in his review:

Uh WTF? Never realized this is what the movie was. I would pay to see those last 2 concepts as they are, maybe the Wachoski siblings back in form.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@AssInAss said:

Yeah I wanted to watch it but then it got a shitty review in the paper but at the same time people who watched it said it was an interesting movie and that I should watch it....... I really should stop listening to my local paper's reviews. Its the reason why I didnt watch 21 Jump Street because the snobby reviewer said she didnt find the movie funny. All of my friends said that movie was hilarious.

Never pay attention to most movies critics, they are too pretentious to like a good comedy\action movie. I get my reviews from Spill.com as like this site they seem to fit into the stuff I like.

Trainer_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Trainer_Red

@Nightriff said:

@Trainer_Red said:

Fuck that, Saga. Shit Star Wars getting a 7th, Speed Racer should be like the Bond franchise then

YES. I was just too proud to say it, but since its out there... FUCK YESSSSSS.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@AssInAss said:

Yeah I wanted to watch it but then it got a shitty review in the paper but at the same time people who watched it said it was an interesting movie and that I should watch it....... I really should stop listening to my local paper's reviews. Its the reason why I didnt watch 21 Jump Street because the snobby reviewer said she didnt find the movie funny. All of my friends said that movie was hilarious.

Never pay attention to most movies critics, they are too pretentious to like a good comedy\action movie. I get my reviews from Spill.com as like this site they seem to fit into the stuff I like.

Noted.  Now whenever I see her reviews I just roll my eyes and put the paper down.  Ive noticed that she only gives dumb documentaries 5s all the time.  
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@AssInAss said:

Noted. Now whenever I see her reviews I just roll my eyes and put the paper down. Ive noticed that she only gives dumb documentaries 5s all the time.

If you haven't visited that site before listen to the Lockout audio review, shit gets out of hand real fast shows how passionate they are about even the dumbest of movies