Headphones Suggestions

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

My Razer Orca headphones decided to break and I'm looking for a decent priced replacement, I'm willing to spend up to 50 to 60 bucks on it. I have a USB headset for my desktop already for skype/gaming which isn't really mobile, I mostly use my headphones for my laptop and PC at night when I don't want to wear a complete headset all night.

Colony024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

My old ones recently gave up the ghost too, and I replaced them with these Sennheiser HD 280 Pro ones. So far I've been very happy with them. They're a little bit above the price range you mention, but they're comfortable to wear for extended periods of time, have a nice flat response and they sound great (to me anyway). I use them for recording music too though; for skype/gaming only they might be a bit overkill.

cocoonmoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lowcaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By lowcaff

@colony024 Sennheiser is a great company.

Anyways, I think the best bang for your buck are the ones I used to own, the RHA SA950Is. Really great-sounding and they're pretty cheap.

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm personally a big fan of either Sennheiser or Audio-Technica headphones. I use Audio-Technica ATH-M50 at work and ATH-M20x at the office and both sound amazing for the price.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By winsord

Assuming you're in the US and okay with buying from Amazon:

$50 - Audio-Technica ATH-M20x - Solid, cheap, all-arounders that deliver good performance for the price.

$50 - Shure SRH240A - Avoid if you listen to bass-heavy music, but these tend to perform better in the mids and highs than the M20x. More suited for rock/singer-songwriter/folk, etc.

$60 - Sony MDR-XB600 - Bass on a budget; powerful bass with good extension, but not as strong on mids or highs as the SRH240A or M20x. (Note: These are on-ear not over-ear)

$70 - Audio-Technica ATH-M30x - Great neutral headphones for the price, decent step up from the M20x.

$80 - Sennheiser HD 518 - While these are $20 more than what you budgeted, they're well worth the price. They were $200 a few years ago, then dropped in price to $130-$150 last year, and they're on sale for $80 now. They easily beat out most $50-$70 headphones, and they're open-back instead of closed (which, while they'll sound better as a result, you might want to avoid them if you need them to be fairly silent externally).

Outside of the US, while my opinions on those headphones don't change, pricing and availability can become very sporadic, so potentially none of this will hold any water.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live in Europe but I'm sure I can find some retailers that sell them. I'll check out the ones mentioned, thanks for the suggestions guys.

MugsMugsMugs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I have Steelseries Siberia v2 Illuminated Dota 2 editions Good quality and built.

But when it comes with the comfort I dont suggest it haha

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recently purchased Kingston Hyperx Cloud while it lacks more oomph it is really comfortable and the price is reasonable.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 splodge  Online

Four years ago I spent 55 euros on a pair of Seinheiser headphones that I still use and they sound as good as the day I bought them. They make some quality sheeeeeet.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My old ones recently gave up the ghost too, and I replaced them with these Sennheiser HD 280 Pro ones. So far I've been very happy with them. They're a little bit above the price range you mention, but they're comfortable to wear for extended periods of time, have a nice flat response and they sound great (to me anyway). I use them for recording music too though; for skype/gaming only they might be a bit overkill.

Have them also, there great, besides the cord, my cord drives me nuts as it likes to loop around on its self.

Kane_233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kane_233

If you can swing it:

Amazon ATHM - 50x

Very much worth the price. Keep an eye on them, periodically they go on sale below $100. One such sale recently ended.

456nto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AKG K240

Easily the best headphones I've ever bought. For the price they're high quality and they have a ridiculous life to them, I've already been using my pair for years. They have a detachable coiled cable, which is a step up from all the other headphones I've bought as headphone cables tend to get tangled and damaged. Even if you damage the cable you can just buy another one. When I bought my pair it came with an extra cable and ear pads. The sound quality is great too, from what I've heard they're widely used by audio engineers for their reliability.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ravelle

I decided on the Audio Technica x20 and have been happy with them so far, even though the cord is ridiculously long, still appreciate the suggestions though!

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Since this thread popped up I wanted to ask, what's the difference between the Audio Technica M50's and Audio Technica M50x?

MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MannyMAR

@haz: M50's have a single hardwired coiled cord on the left earpiece only, whereas the M50x's have port for a removable cord on the left earpiece. Other than that they're same in terms of build.

They have kits to convert the regular M50's into having a removable cord, but you void your warranty in doing so.

*edit: I forgot the x's only have one port and not two.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@mannymar: Thanks. I might as well just get the 50x then.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Levius

When in doubt, buy the Sennhieser in your price range.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Levius said:

When in doubt, buy the Sennhieser in your price range.

I have the Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision In-Ear headphone for my MP3 player and phone and they are amazing.

duke_of_the_bump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought Koss Portapros because of Jeff Green and they're the best headphones I've ever owned.