Help me Giant Bomb. You're my only hope of finding a good mouse!

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By crusader8463
  Those are the straightest lines I can make with this mouse. 
  Those are the straightest lines I can make with this mouse. 
My mouse sucks. It was going great and dandy for a while, but then it started to make my cursor floaty and it's gotten to the point that I can't even navigate a website with it let alone try to play a game. It takes me a good 2-3 seconds to click even the biggest buttons or links because my mouse is constantly causing the cursor to float in every direction but where I want it to go. 

So now I'm looking for some advice on mice. I'm looking to keep it around the $40-$50 range, because once you add tax and shipping the price is easily around $60-$70. Right now I'm leading towards the Logitech G500 mouse, but I'm also eyeing the Razor Deathadder 3500

Here's my thinking on the two:

Logitech 

Pro: 
  • I have used a previous model before and it was the best mouse I have ever had. So I trust the brand, as it has worked for me before.

Con: 
  • The part that the palm of your hand rests on looks like it might be a bit too much of an arch for me now that I'm an old man. The mouse I currently have has about the same arch and it makes my hand cramp bad after only a few hours using it.
  • It looks ugly as sin.

Razor 

Pro: 
  • The design of it looks like it would be much more comfortable to use, as it doesn't have such a pronounced arch.
  • It's a sexy looking mouse.

Con: 
  • I have never used a Razor before, so I don't know what to expect out of it.

So what do you folks recommend? One of the above, or something else? If you have used a Razor mouse before was it a positive experience or a bad one? 

The only real hard rules I have for the mouse is that it must have two side buttons, I got used to having them in too many games to have a mouse without them now, that it be wired, and that it be around the $40-$50 range.
jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By jeff

I have a Steelseries Ikari that I used to use and like. Just replaced it with a Cyborg RAT7, which is out of your price range, but it's kind of rad, for a mouse. It at least looks totally crazy.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By warxsnake

G500 if you can get it in that price range. 

Also the MX518 is still the best optical mouse ever made, but if you find the G500 ugly, the MX518 is hideous.  

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By crusader8463
@Jeff: I remember seeing the Rat7 over at tested a while back. Besides the price point I'm terrified the thing will transform into one of those tiny killer robots from the first Transformers movie and try to kill me when my back is turned. Ether that or it was once used as a medieval torture device.
monstersnsoup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By monstersnsoup

I have a Razer Lachesis now and I had a copperhead before it. They've both been pretty fantastic. The thing that I notice about them is that they're really light compared to most Logitechs that I've used.

acev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By acev

I've had a logitech g5 for five or six years now, so in my experience it's great. The g500 you're talking about looks like basically the same thing so I'd say go for it.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By crusader8463
@warxsnake said:
" G500 if you can get it in that price range.  Also the MX518 is still the best optical mouse ever made, but if you find the G500 ugly, the MX518 is hideous.   "
I was looking at both of them since they were about the same price range. What makes the MX 518 better then the G500? Other then the little lip under the thumb rest I couldn't tell much of a difference. IIRC I think one of them comes with adjustable weights, or some such thing.
FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By FancySoapsMan

have you tried the pet store

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Enigma777

The sweet thing about the Logitec mouse is the endless scrolling wheel or whatever they call it. It's so awesome!

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By EvilTwin
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By crusader8463
@EvilTwin: Thanks. How did you find that? I did a search on that site and I got linked to the exact same one but it cost an extra $20...
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Xeiphyer

I believe you are searching for the Mouse Mouse.
  I believe you are searching for the Mouse Mouse.
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By zeforgotten
@warxsnake said:
" G500 if you can get it in that price range.  Also the MX518 is still the best optical mouse ever made, but if you find the G500 ugly, the MX518 is hideous.   "
I've been using the MX518 since it came out and it's the best mouse ever! 
I've tried switcing to a newer mouse and stuff but I just gave them away because I didn't like them. I might buy a new MX518 soon since this one is starting to show signs of use. 
Well ok, it's nothing major the scroll wheel just doesn't work anymore. 
EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EvilTwin
endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By endless_void

Like Jeff mentioned, Steelseries mouses are ideal. I use the Xai however, and I have to say, it's fantastic. Most comfortable mouse in the world, technologically proficient, and it doesnt break easy like my previous razer mouses.
The drivers also give you a buttload of options to change.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By stonyman65

I've use both the Razer Diamondback, the Razer Copperhead, and the Logitech Mx518.  After using the Razer Mice for such a long time, a friend of mine turned me on to the Logitech at a LAN party and from that day I have never looked back.  The performance of the mice are about the same, they are all high-end, but I think the Logitech has better ergonomics than the Razer. One problem I have had with the razer mice is that my pinky would get cramped and lock up on me after a few hours of game, but with the Logitech this doesn't happen.  I've used Razer mice for about 5 years now, and I have only been using the MX518 since last Christmas.  I would take the Logitech over the Razer any day.    

The best way to find a mouse you like is go to a store and try one out, see how it feels and responds to you, and then go with the one you like the most. 
Also, remember to get a nice mouse-pad too, you could have the best mouse in the world, but it won't mean shit if you are using it on a 99 cent mouse-pad you lifted from your moms office building.    

Mouses I would reccomend 

Logitech MX518 
Logitech G500
Razer Diamondback  
Razer deathadder  
Cyborg RAT 7 

and get a Steelseries Qck mouse-pad. 

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By crusader8463

Thanks for the advice folks. I decided to go with the Logitech MX 518 since it looks exactly like my old mouse that I loved, and because it was the cheapest one. It came to $67.72 with shipping and tax for those that are interested. 

Feel free to keep posting about the topic if you like. Will be interesting to see what people think of the various mice brands out there.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By warxsnake
@crusader8463 said:
" @warxsnake said:
I was looking at both of them since they were about the same price range. What makes the MX 518 better then the G500? Other then the little lip under the thumb rest I couldn't tell much of a difference. IIRC I think one of them comes with adjustable weights, or some such thing. "
Technically the G500 is an all around better mouse, just didnt know they were at the same price range. Go for it then. The only thing I dont like about it is the rough scroll wheel, might have to get used to it. 
ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ShaunassNZ

Logitech G9x 

Less of a palm fit and doesn't have a gross skin.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By sixghost

I've never had problems with my diamondback 3g, and I think they're pretty cheap these days.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DrPockets000

Where do you live that tax adds $10 to a $50 product???

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By crusader8463
@DrPockets000 said:
" Where do you live that tax adds $10 to a $50 product??? "
New Brunswick. 13% HST.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Karl_Boss

I just use cheap mice....not a pc gamer so I don't care.

jinxman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jinxman
groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By groin

I bought a Deathadder last year and the mouse wheel randomly freaks out when I am not touching the mouse.

bhlaab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By bhlaab

Anybody who says something besides "Logitech MX518" is a jerk

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By grilledcheez

I've had a Razer Diamondback 3g for awhile.  It's solid and I love the way the "clicking" feels.