Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Organicalistic_

ok

so

i have an error on my pc that is "no operating system found"

I cannot reset the bios because i dont know the password
I cannot re- install xp because i dont have the disc, nor can i find a trustworthy site to download it from
so, are there any other options, and 

i am guessing linux is one, which one should i do ubuntu?
and how do i go about doing that?

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

If you download Ubuntu and save it to either a CD or a flash drive, you just put/plug it in before you turn on your computer and it will either auto-boot it or you may have to press like F11 at the first boot-up screen and manually select to boot from either CD drive or Flash drive. 

Good luck getting it fixed. 

Maybe you could try posting this on Tested. There are a lot of PC knowledgeable people over there.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Man that sucks, looks like one or more of your hard drives took a hit. That or some kind of mobo disaster.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Hamz

Just keep in mind if the system doesn't automatically begin the installation process then simply reboot it and when the motherboard logo appears during the boot up process quickly keep tapping F8. If you're fast enough you'll be presented with a bunch of options, find the one that dictates which drive the system should attempt to boot from and pick the one which you're installing the OS from. Eg. If installing from a CD/DVD then pick your optical drive.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JJWeatherman
@organicalistic_: You're computer troubles bring a very special movie scene to mind: 

Doooo it!
HS21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By HS21

Insert a flash drive into your floppy drive. This will create a brilliant flash of light thus allowing your computer to find the OS. In order to avoid this problem in the future, consider installing some obnoxious neon lights inside of your see through case.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JJWeatherman
@HS21 said:
" Insert a flash drive into your floppy drive. This will create a brilliant flash of light thus allowing your computer to find the OS. In order to avoid this problem in the future, consider installing some obnoxious neon lights inside of your see through case. "
You're full of bologna
HS21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By HS21
@JJWeatherman said:
" @HS21 said:
" Insert a flash drive into your floppy drive. This will create a brilliant flash of light thus allowing your computer to find the OS. In order to avoid this problem in the future, consider installing some obnoxious neon lights inside of your see through case. "
You're full of bologna "
Guilty.
Burzmali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Burzmali
@Hamz: He said he doesn't have the password for the BIOS, so he may be locked out. 

If booting from USB or CD/DVD isn't working, and you're locked out of the BIOS, you may be able to get into the computer and reset the it manually. I don't know for sure as far as the password is concerned, but disconnecting the power and then removing the CMOS battery for 5 minutes will reset all other settings in your  BIOS. The CMOS battery is a quarter-sized, metal disc (it looks like a really big watch battery). Pop it out of its socket and wait for 5 minutes. Then put it back, plug your computer back in, and boot up. The BIOS should be reset and you should be able to get in without a password. 

As far as getting an OS, Linux is the safe choice. Ubuntu is the most popular, it seems. You also can probably find a safe version of XP through torrents. Since Windows requires activation, odds are you can find an ISO somewhere that is completely clean. Just look for one that does not include a crack and use your own serial number. That is, assuming you have a serial number. If not, Ubuntu is probably your best option.