Help naming a youtube series title

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

Hey everyone, I'm trying to get some help for a video title for my next project/ long series I'm working on. I do analysis and critiques of games, but the next major series I'm doing is on older games to probably a few years old. Most of which is more than 5 years old. What do you think I should name it or have on the side of the name? Do you think a game needs to be much older to be labeled retro? Also most of these games are random PC games in my Steam library, the first of which is gonna be the old Sherlock Holmes games.

I'm currently thinking "title of game"- Retro Analysis.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

At this point 5 years old is definitely not retro by most definitions. There are plenty of 5 year old games that still look great by modern standards and virtually all of them play on the latest console. I think that 6th gen is the newest that's inarguably retro but you can make a case for 7th gen.

Need more information to suggest an alternate title, such as whether the games have anything else in common or what kind of analysis it will be. It's not even clear what you mean by "old Sherlock Holmes games." Are you talking about Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective (definitely retro), Sherlock Holmes: The Silver Earing (arguably retro) or Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments (probably not retro.)?

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hm, is that the only theme you would be working with? To me Retro implies something that at minimum is going to be pushing 10-15. Kinda sounds like what you would be working with is a little too broad.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kaos_cracker

@efesell: The theme essentially is just "analyzing and reviewing random PC games" I'm still in the early stages of it and retro was just the first thing to pop to my mind that was short to say and type. I'm tempted to just do "Random PC Analysis" but that implies other things too.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: So the first game in this series will be Sherlock Holmes: The Silver Earring. Once I get through the series it will be a different series (depending on what I find interesting first) such as the weird Dracula games or a game called Adam's Venture. Essentially just random games with nothing in common outside of being on PC. Just something to experience and talk about

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kaos_cracker: If it's just a look into your Steam library I would not use retro. I would call it something like "Steam lookback" or "Archsteamology" or "From the [Steam] Library" or something.

If not all the games are on Steam you could use "Windows" or "PC" instead. Retro is more applicable to consoles TBH (or older PCs like a 486 or whatever.) The Windows Librarian.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In The Rear View.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: I really like this one too.

@bigsocrates:These are really good suggestions, I appreciate it. Never could've thought of Archsteamology too

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have nothing to add. I have a really good one for checking out free to play stuff but I'm not willing to give up a $1m idea.

AngryHobo321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think you can call a game retro unless it was originally released on a cartridge, but seeing how the years keep coming I would argue that at some point here we'll be making the distinction by SD/HD graphics. Maybe call it something like "INSERT GAME TITLE HERE.... Revisited" or some such if it involves older games from your library. Good luck on the channel!

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@angryhobo321: Playstation 1 is over 25 years old at this point, so I very much disagree with this take.

As I said above I think there's an argument that 360 games are retro at this point, though I'm not sure if I 100% agree with that. But the Dreamcast is definitely retro and I'd say that the PS2 is as well. Super Nintendo games were retro 10 years ago, and the PS2 era ended about 10 years after the SNES era, so I think it's pretty clear that at this point the PS2 is a retro console. It's 3 generations old!

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Efesell

@angryhobo321: Yeah I dunno this feels a little like an arbitrary line based on a personal perception but at the risk of turning half of this forum into dust disc media is getting old. Like the 90s are Retro now and the PS is 94-95.

Old cartridge games are gonna hit the point where you'd call them Vintage instead.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

The Back Room

Pawn Shop Games

Leftovers

GuardianBob87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kaos_cracker said:

Also most of these games are random PC games in my Steam library

DMCA: Desperately Monetizing Cracker's Acquisitions

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guardianbob87: Alright that was pretty good haha

I think I'm gonna settle on "The Backlog" since it's short and sweet, with giving more range in what to cover.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@angryhobo321: I like that title a lot for games I will be looking at that I have played, thanks a lot!

Also I agree and disagree with what you consider Retro. Normally I would just consider older games to be retro, but at the same time, anytime someone says a game has a retro look, it is usually a cartridge era game.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see retro at this point as PS2/Xbox/Gamecube backwards. Although it tends to be characterised, for me, by the stuff older games don't have. Whether that's quality of life improvements are outright genre conventions that they just didn't have back then.