• 105 results
Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Chummy8

I've a little knowledge on British slang and I came across a word that I couldn't quite make sense of in the context of hearing it.   What exactly does "Ponce" mean?  I was thinking that it means something on the line of someone being an a$$hole or a jerk as in: "He's a ponce". 

Am I right or completely off base?

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Jeffsekai

What you don't know what google is? 

Hey look first link :   An individual who attempts to fake having intelligence, class, or culture.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

It's basically someone who fakes being posh and sophisticated, despite being as common as dirt.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Chummy8

Yeah, but what's the fun in looking at google?  I came here for a multiplayer experience. 

Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Arbie
@MattyFTM said:
" It's basically someone who fakes being posh and sophisticated, despite being as common as dirt. "
This pretty much!

I think I've only used it a couple of times and that was fooling around with a friend when they have been acting all stuck up!

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By s-a-n-JR

IMO the best British insult is, and always will be, twat.  
KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By KarlPilkington
@Sanj: You twat.
Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Vorbis
@Sanj said:
" IMO the best British insult is, and always will be, twat.   "

@Chabbs0 said:

" @Sanj: You twat. "

Best bit about twat is that it's never censored on the swear filters.
MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By MarkWahlberg
@Vorbis: I always find it hilarious that 'bugger' gets past American movie censors. You can say it all you want and it won't change the rating a bit, but the minute you say 'ass-fuck' it becomes a hard R.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By MysteriousBob
@Sanj said:
This is correct. Americans can't even say it properly so it shall always be our insult and no others.
tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By tallTuck94

swearing is way more casual in britain, it's commonplace to call someone a c word for the littelist thing whereas in america it seems to be some forbiden part of the english lanuage

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MrKlorox
@MysteriousBob said:

" @Sanj said:

This is correct. Americans can't even say it properly so it shall always be our insult and no others. "
Yeah. Silly us pronouncing the T at the end. Yew Tweah' .... is that better?

@tallTuck94

said:

" swearing is way more casual in britain, it's commonplace to call someone a c word for the littelist thing whereas in america it seems to be some forbiden part of the english lanuage "

Er... there a lot more swear words than cunt in existence. We swear all the time, and I guarantee we say fuck more than the English. It's just that "cunt" is only slightly less offensive to folks than "nigger" in this country, which is generally considered unacceptable to use even in this context. We use "spaz" or "spastic" casually to describe people acting weird or crazy, and I hear that's pretty a offensive term in the UK. It's just regional dialect.
Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Three0neFive
@tallTuck94 said:
" swearing is way more casual in britain, it's commonplace to call someone a c word for the littelist thing whereas in america it seems to be some forbiden part of the english lanuage "
You can thank the feminazis for that.
Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#14  Edited By Jazz

And here i thought being a ponce meant that you played for the other team. 
You learn something new everyday

JessicaBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15  Edited By JessicaBoo
@Vorbis:
isn't it consoled as a swear word? Lies

Hahahahha, what world you live in!
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MysteriousBob
@MrKlorox said:
" @MysteriousBob said:

" @Sanj said:

This is correct. Americans can't even say it properly so it shall always be our insult and no others. "
Yeah. Silly us pronouncing the T at the end. Yew Tweah' .... is that better?  "
The fuck are you talking about? Its pronounced how its spelt. "Twat". Don't know what mysterious language you're thinking of. You people keep saying "Twot".
apoptosis61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By apoptosis61

sorry to say it but when i hear that english accent my ears are in pain ^^

markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#18  Edited By markini6

OK a question from an English person to an American: what is grilled cheese? Is it the same as cheese on toast?

And here in the scary north of England, ponce is used for either being pretentiously posh, a wuss or camp :) Oh and its only used for males.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MrKlorox
@MysteriousBob said:
" @MrKlorox said:
" @MysteriousBob said:

" @Sanj said:

The fuck are you talking about? Its pronounced how its spelt. "Twat". Don't know what mysterious language you're thinking of. You people keep saying "Twot". "
Do you not notice how common it is for English people pronouncing the T at the end of words with their throat instead of their tongue? Secondly, if you're going on about the difference in the way A's sound, where have you been for the past two hundred years?
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MrKlorox
@markini6 said:
" OK a question from an English person to an American: what is grilled cheese? Is it the same as cheese on toast? "
Cheese on toast sounds like it's just cheese melted on a piece of toast.  A Grilled Cheese is a sandwich.

To make a grilled cheese you get a pan and butter some bread then start cooking it. Then you throw a piece of cheese on it and let it warm and soft then put the other piece of buttered bread on top of it like a sandwich then flip it and cook the other side. Then when the bread is golden brown you eat it.
Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Drebin_893
@MrKlorox said:
" @MysteriousBob said:
" @MrKlorox said:
" @MysteriousBob said:

" @Sanj said:

The fuck are you talking about? Its pronounced how its spelt. "Twat". Don't know what mysterious language you're thinking of. You people keep saying "Twot". "
Do you not notice how common it is for English people pronouncing the T at the end of words with their throat instead of their tongue? Secondly, if you're going on about the difference in the way A's sound, where have you been for the past two hundred years? "
What? English people pronounce the T's at the end. The British accent annunciates those sounds more than the American language. At least my British accent does, anyway.
Berezov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Berezov

Can't say I've really used the word ponce, it's probably more common down south. I however like the phrases "You set of twats", "You silly bastard", "You fucking dick head", "You absolute prick" and the very occasional "You fucking nob head", I don't use that one as much since all the dirt bags around Leeds started using it. 

markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#23  Edited By markini6
@MrKlorox said:
" @markini6 said:
" OK a question from an English person to an American: what is grilled cheese? Is it the same as cheese on toast? "
Cheese on toast sounds like it's just cheese melted on a piece of toast.  A Grilled Cheese is a sandwich.  To make a grilled cheese you get a pan and butter some bread then start cooking it. Then you throw a piece of cheese on it and let it warm and soft then put the other piece of buttered bread on top of it like a sandwich then flip it and cook the other side. Then when the bread is golden brown you eat it. "
Oh so a cheese toastie. Thanks :)
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@MrKlorox said:

" @markini6 said:

Cheese on toast sounds like it's just cheese melted on a piece of toast.  A Grilled Cheese is a sandwich.  To make a grilled cheese you get a pan and butter some bread then start cooking it. Then you throw a piece of cheese on it and let it warm and soft then put the other piece of buttered bread on top of it like a sandwich then flip it and cook the other side. Then when the bread is golden brown you eat it. "
Why is it called a grilled cheese sandwich, when it's fried? Shouldn't you grill it?
Rehehelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Rehehelly

I really feel like a cheese toastie now...

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MrKlorox
@Drebin_893 said:

" @MrKlorox said:

Do you not notice how common it is for English people pronouncing the T at the end of words with their throat instead of their tongue? Secondly, if you're going on about the difference in the way A's sound, where have you been for the past two hundred years? "
What? English people pronounce the T's at the end. The British accent annunciates those sounds more than the American language. At least my British accent does, anyway. "
Every time I watch Ricky Gervais say twat he always leaves his mouth open at the end of the word. Same with almost any other time I've watch any English say twat. How can one make the T sound when one's tongue doesn't come into contact with his teeth? By approximating it by closing one's throat instead. Those who do it probably don't even notice it.

I should try to find or create a twat montage to prove my point. But like you made mention of, there are many British accents. Just like there are many Texan accents, let alone American accents. We could all be basing our examples off the more annoying ones that stick out in our mind instead of the average ones that we ignore.
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By KaosAngel

...while the Brits are here, what does wanker really mean?   

You guys have such casual insults.  >.>

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MrKlorox
@MattyFTM said:
" @MrKlorox said:

" @markini6 said:

Why is it called a grilled cheese sandwich, when it's fried? Shouldn't you grill it? "
It's more of a griddled cheese sandwich. I wouldn't even really call it fried since it's so dry. But I guess some folks do grill theirs?
JamesM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JamesM
Rehehelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Rehehelly
@MrKlorox said:
" @Drebin_893 said:
" @MrKlorox said:
What? English people pronounce the T's at the end. The British accent annunciates those sounds more than the American language. At least my British accent does, anyway. "
Every time I watch Ricky Gervais say twat he always leaves his mouth open at the end of the word. Same with almost any other time I've watch any English say twat. How can you make the T sound when one's tongue doesn't come into contact with his teeth? By approximating it by closing one's throat instead. Those who do it probably don't even notice it. I should try to find or create a twat montage to prove my point. But like you made mention of, there are many British accents. Just like there are many Texan accents, let alone American accents. We could all be basing our examples off the more annoying ones that stick out in our mind instead of the average ones that we ignore. "
Depends on how you're saying it, I just sat here saying twat and I guess if i'm joking around I don't tend to pronounce the t on the end so much but if I say it in anger then the t at the end gets pronounced properly.

@KaosAngel said:
" ...while the Brits are here, what does wanker really mean?    You guys have such casual insults.  >.> "

Well... wank means to masturbate, but "wanker" is never used literally to describe someone who wanks, cos pretty much everyone does.. and I knew the term wanker when I was like 7 years old and didn't know about masturbation then. Iunno, just a general insult. Same as calling someone a tosser.
NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By NTM
@MarkWahlberg said:
" @Vorbis: I always find it hilarious that 'bugger' gets past American movie censors. You can say it all you want and it won't change the rating a bit, but the minute you say 'ass-fuck' it becomes a hard R. "

Bugger? Ha, that's not bad at all though.
wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
@Berezov said:
You fucking dick head
Universal.

@MrKlorox:
 I was thinking the same thing about how T's sound, perhaps in context with the word. Kinda made me think of something along the lines of  'arry Potter. Not outright enunciating it, but it's still totally there. These are the assumptions of an American, so correct me if I'm wrong.

I love these kinds of threads. It's interesting to see how stuff works in other countries.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MrKlorox
@Rehehelly said:

" Well... wank means to masturbate, but "wanker" is never used literally to describe someone who wanks, cos pretty much everyone does.. and I knew the term wanker when I was like 7 years old and didn't know about masturbation then. Iunno, just a general insult. Same as calling someone a tosser. "

Ah. I thought it meant masturbator, which I always thought was a strange insult. 

I was gonna ask if tosser was another masturbation thing (tossing off, for those who do not know -- again, weird term) or if it was a tongue meets anus thing (toss the salad). But I guess the world will never know. 

@wolf_blitzer85 said:
" @MrKlorox:  I was thinking the same thing about how T's sound, perhaps in context with the word. Kinda made me think of something along the lines of  'arry Potter. Not outright enunciating it, but it's still totally there. "
Yes! I was also gonna make mention H at the beginning of words but forgot. So you know how you're supposed to say "an historic event" even though H isn't a vowel? It totally makes sense that way.

Also you know in Fable 2 how all the guards will pronounce an H at the beginning of words that should start with vowels? Like "Hafter him!". What's up with that?
Rehehelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Rehehelly
@MrKlorox: Would mean masturbation again.
damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By damswedon
@Jazz: no that's Nonce. 
My Favourite swear word is Prick. 
With a spit filled P and a hard ICK
cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By cap123
@KaosAngel:  A wanker, or a tosser, is just some who is a fucking dick, normally a cocky, smarmy person. Wankers and tossers in their simplest terms actually mean people who masturbate but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. But they are meant as insults in most contexts. 

A ponce was originally meant for girly men, it's pretty much the equivalent of a pussy. But again, it's a more general insult now.

Also to people thinking Cunt isn't a bad word in england, it still is. Parts of the country will say it as if it's nothing, but generally its considered a pretty nasty word. In fact a lot of the time you'll get the same reaction vinny got, maybe not quite as extreme, but a general suprise of how harsh it was.
Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Burns098356GX

Heres something I dont understand. I often watch the UK version of Top Gear, and they often refer to people they don't like as 'cocks'. What does that mean? Because in Canada, its like a slang term for a penis.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MrKlorox

Do you guys snicker like Beavis when somebody says something like "hey toss me that remote"?

Rehehelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Rehehelly
@Burns098356GX said:
" Heres something I dont understand. I often watch the UK version of Top Gear, and they often refer to people they don't like as 'cocks'. What does that mean? Because in Canada, its like a slang term for a penis. "
A penis.
 @MrKlorox said:
" Do you guys snicker like Beavis when somebody says something like "hey toss me that remote"? "
No, unless you have the humour of a 5 year old.
takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#41  Edited By takua108

Someone really ought to write a damn guide for USA/Canada -> UK and vice versa because it seems like I see these threads on forums all the time.

bass_hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By bass_hero

With the whole "Arry Potter" stuff thats kind of more of a Londoner stereotype than something we would actually say. Same with the stuff from fable. There just characterizations of us, not stuff we actually do! And a cock is slag for penis but usually like wanker and tosser it just means someones whose an idiot or similar :)

Rehehelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MrKlorox
@Rehehelly said:

" @Burns098356GX said:

" Heres something I dont understand. I often watch the UK version of Top Gear, and they often refer to people they don't like as 'cocks'. What does that mean? Because in Canada, its like a slang term for a penis. "

A penis. "

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Fallen189

Oh by the way, we all live in castles, eat scones and drink tea all the time.

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By cap123

bell-end, berk, bollocks, bugger, cack, feck, git, gob-shite, nob, pillock, pleb, plank, prat, shite, slag, slapper, sod off, toff, tonker, twonk, yob

all good english words

JamesM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By JamesM
@MrKlorox said:
" Yes! I was also gonna make mention H at the beginning of words but forgot. So you know how you're supposed to say "an historic event" even though H isn't a vowel? It totally makes sense that way.  Also you know in Fable 2 how all the guards will pronounce an H at the beginning of words that should start with vowels? Like "Hafter him!". What's up with that? "
I presume the idea is that they are from a working class/common/whatever background and naturally drop their initial aitches, but are aware that this is improper English, and so make a very deliberate effort to avoid this, but are overzealous in doing so. In other words, hypercorrection. It's like people who don't fully understand how to use apostrophes using them all over the place, or people thinking that all instances of "who" should be "whom". 

@MrKlorox said:
" Do you guys snicker like Beavis when somebody says something like "hey toss me that remote"? "
No, the rudeness of the verb "toss" is entirely contextual, much like many other words. Also, one thing that interests me is that the British English equivalent of "snicker" is "snigger". I'm not sure which is the older version, but I can take a guess at why US English speakers might be more sensitive about the latter variation (although there is, of course, absolutely no racial or otherwise offensive quality to the word, much like "niggardly").
alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By alternate

re: grilled cheese

I think the most important thing is the use of "american cheese" aka processed cheese.  Real cheese has too high a fat content so that if you try and make it in a pan it is going to make an oily mess.

I would say the closed UK thing to a grilled cheese would be Welsh Rarebit.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#49  Edited By korwin
@markini6 said:
" @MrKlorox said:
" @markini6 said:
Oh so a cheese toastie. Thanks :) "
Your both wrong, it's called a Jaffle damn it!
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@MattyFTM said:
" It's basically someone who fakes being posh and sophisticated, despite being as common as dirt. "
i thought posh means cute and sexy.. isnt that why u call beckham's wife Posh ?