Hey, Fuck you for saying "Bias Journalism".

• 85 results
Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Jeffsekai
Colonel_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Colonel_Fury

Yeah it sucks that people can't seem to construct a well thought out arugment. Its always just "[Insert company here] clearly payed you to give this game a good/bad review" or "You just sucked at it".

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Brendan

I really like it when editors fire back.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ryanwho
@Jeffsekai said:
" http://gizmodo.com/5687692/you-write-bias-journalism-and-i-read-derp    Pretty much everywhere it says a name or Gizmodo replace it with Giantbomb and Brad/Jeff/Ryan/Vinny. This article (which no one will read) pretty  much sums up everything that is wrong with people who comment on the internet.  "
Does that include the droves of people like you and I who insist they're better than everyone else on the net? Or do smug people get an exemption?
tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By tebbit

The irony is that approximately half the comments on that article completely miss the point. 

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By stonyman65

I couldn't care less because gizmodo has lost all credibility with me a long time ago, along with almost every other tech/game site besides GB, Tested and Toms Hardware.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jeffsekai
@ryanwho said:
" @Jeffsekai said:
" http://gizmodo.com/5687692/you-write-bias-journalism-and-i-read-derp    Pretty much everywhere it says a name or Gizmodo replace it with Giantbomb and Brad/Jeff/Ryan/Vinny. This article (which no one will read) pretty  much sums up everything that is wrong with people who comment on the internet.  "
Does that include the droves of people like you and I who insist they're better than everyone else on the net? Or do smug people get an exemption? "
Must include you too bro.
Nadafinga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By Nadafinga

I saw this yesterday. While this guy might be "right", it doesn't mean he should have posted it. He's lowering himself to the level of the people who trolled him and pissed him off in the first place. Telling your reader base "fuck you" is childish and selfish. He needs to keep doing his job, report news, write reviews, and not be such a friggin' whiner. I for one am not visiting Gizmodo anymore.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ryanwho
@Jeffsekai said:
" @ryanwho said:
" @Jeffsekai said:
Does that include the droves of people like you and I who insist they're better than everyone else on the net? Or do smug people get an exemption? "
Must include you too bro. "
But not you? You must share your secret, how you're outwardly no different than any other smug cunt yet are impervious to petty article attacks like this that appear to attack "everyone". How does one rise above everyone?
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By napalm

I see where he's going, but the delivery is sort of... vitriolic.

Colonel_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Colonel_Fury
@Jeffsekai said:
" @ryanwho said:
" @Jeffsekai said:
Smug people are always exempt. Duh.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

That article is terrible. Claiming that people don't have a right to complain about poor journalism is dumb. There are some good points in the article, but overall it just comes across as him having a temper tantrum saying "fuck you for criticising me, I'll do what I want".

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jeffsekai
@ryanwho said:
" @Jeffsekai said:
" @ryanwho said:
" @Jeffsekai said:
But not you? You must share your secret, how you're outwardly no different than any other smug cunt yet are impervious to petty article attacks like this that appear to attack "everyone". How does one rise above everyone? "
lol, I see you trolling all day everyday. 
haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By haggis

There's so much right and so much wrong with that article it's almost funny. Almost. Seriously, you're on the internet. People are going to yell at you. It's what people do. And yes, there's a conflict over having a website with open comments. Yes, you get to say what you want. But people who want to comment get to as well. And if the comments are open, you can't fully expect to control what they say. Unless, that is, you want to police comments. Which is obviously too much work, or it would be done more often.

There's no solution to this other than turning off comments. If you leave comments open, you're begging for that sort of relationship with the commenter. You can yell back at the commenters as this article does, but it's really just a waste of breath (as the comments on the article show). If you don't want to be challenged, the internet is not the place for you.

Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zithe

That author should have given himself time to cool down before writing that article. He obviously lets too many comments get under his skin.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Pinworm45

I guess I fit into what the article was about, because that was some unprofessional journalism. 

I'm such a snarker.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Tennmuerti

Nice rage.
Was an entertaining read.
Good way to shit on your readership too.

Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Raymayne

lol @ Gawker in general, that was the most embarrassingly pathetic piece I've ever read.

Colonel_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Colonel_Fury
@haggis: True but there is a difference between good comments (ones that actually add to the conversation) and stupid comments (the "rahhh you suck!" ones). If your posting on someones site and being stupid, they have every right to get rid of your ass.
Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Oldirtybearon

Calling your readership names and telling them "fuck you" in pretty much every way conceivable is pretty unprofessional. That said, if that whole "man I got raped and these people tried to fuck with my personal life over it" story is true, that is pretty damn low of those commenters. On the other hand, why the hell would he share that kind of information with the Internet? 

Gawker is a weird place, I guess.

Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Zimbo

I mean, you can be a spurting gash of venom as much as you want. But you can't do that and then expect to get any sort of respect back.

Third of all, fuck you.

I do have anger issues, you dumb, cruel,, entitled, tunneled vision shit eaters. My anger issues are with you, because you are so foul, so unable to use the internet as a thoroughfare for human compassion or—Christ—even just a civil conversation.

This guy should follow his own advice. He has a few points but he definitely should of waited a while to cool down before posting that article.  
ape_dosmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ape_dosmil

I understand his rage, and the type of comments he is talking about are annoying. You see it on Giant Bomb occasionally where someone doesn't agree with a review score and instead of offering their opinions on why they disagree, they accuse the writer of being biased, or unprofessional. However he actually has acted unprofessionally in writing this piece. Take this sentence:
"we are not robots. And unless you really are autistic instead of just playing one while standing alone in the corner at a party, neither are you."
That's actually pretty outrageous, I'm not one to get easily offended but labelling autistic people as 'robots' is a pretty stupid thing to do if you are a professional journalist. Basically I think this whole piece was written in the heat of the moment and an editor really should have vetoed it.

___pocalypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ___pocalypse
@Pinworm45 said:
" I guess I fit into what the article was about, because that was some unprofessional journalism.  I'm such a snarker. "
lol for realsies. There were also several grammatical errors, which I consider to be unprofessional. Apparently noticing them makes me "entitled" or something. 

I wonder if the site is going allow it to remain as is, because it really seems like bad business to insult your entire readership. Anyone else betting on how fast they put up an apology for it?
CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By CptChiken

if the dude wanted to bitch he shoulda done it in style: 

___pocalypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ___pocalypse
@drag: really? I've never read the site so I have no idea.  

I can't imagine I'd enjoy reading a site that doesn't respect me. Readers are the only reason websites are successful.
Avatar image for oppressivestink
OppressiveStink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By OppressiveStink

I guess as a site that relies only on advertisement Gizmodo doesn't need part of it's readership?  I mean, hell, the reason people think there's a bias that exists solely  because there's proof of collusion between some editorial sites and some video game makers.  That's one of the reasons Giant Bomb exists if none of you remember.

That being said, being able to write for a living should really pull the plug outta your ass.  You treat that job like fucking gold.   In a world where journalism is falling off the map, the ones who get paid to talk about the shit they love better be fucking grateful for the readership they have.  After all, even the assholes help pay for the food on their plates and the home over their heads.

Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Noodles
@Raymayne said:

" lol @ Gawker in general, that was the most embarrassingly pathetic piece I've ever read. "

Pretty much.
Also, I love how he talks about people being 'ragers' and 'foul', and yet posts this piece of absolute trash. What happened to you, Gizmodo?

Typical Gizmodo Editor
 Typical Gizmodo Editor

"I do have anger issues, you dumb, cruel,, entitled, tunneled vision shit eaters. My anger issues are with you, because you are so foul, so unable to use the internet as a thoroughfare for human compassion or—Christ—even just a civil conversation. It's so far beyond your comprehension that perhaps you are rude or simply wrong that you'd dredge up something that has absolutely no bearing on—wait for it—arguments about gadgets."  

lol'd
anterline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By anterline

You Don't Get To Call Us Unprofessional

Well yeah, the article that he wrote was unprofessional. Just some whiny critic who can't handle criticism. 
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By ch13696

Damn, that dude basically proven that he is biased against one company.  

"Apple, Google, Microsoft, and Sony all make some excellent products. Well, maybe not Sony."     

Not saying I care, but if the guy is trying to make the point that he's not bias, then maybe he shouldn't posted that.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Hahahaha, hypocrisy thy name is ryanwho.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jadeskye
@MattyFTM said:
" That article is terrible. Claiming that people don't have a right to complain about poor journalism is dumb. There are some good points in the article, but overall it just comes across as him having a temper tantrum saying "fuck you for criticising me, I'll do what I want". "
The ever controversial world of videogame reviews! Hell without a scandal giantbomb might not exist. But in general it's always been the case where eventually monetary gain and opinion won't travel the same path and you have to choose. oh the woes of the corruption of humanity!
cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By cnlmullen

Most commenters on the internet forget there's a real human being responsible for the article they are posting on.  

I'd bet the majority of asshole nerds you find here and around the internet are people who have been abused so much in their actual life that they've got to vent somewhere -- they have no friends, so there are forums and comment sections.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Red12b

"You fucking suck. (Bias.) Pass the nachos"    

ape_dosmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ape_dosmil
@OppressiveStink said:
" I guess as a site that relies only on advertisement Gizmodo doesn't need part of it's readership?  I mean, hell, the reason people think there's a bias that exists solely  because there's proof of collusion between some editorial sites and some video game makers.  That's one of the reasons Giant Bomb exists if none of you remember."
The Jeff Gamespot thing absolutely isn't established because neither party has ever divulged what happened. There is rumour, that's not established collusion. Users on video game sites are far too quick to assume bias and backhanders, I see it all the time. Usually it is the people commenting who are clearly biased. What proof of collusion is there between some editorial sites and some video game publishers? I would think it is extremely rare.
9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By 9cupsoftea

Interesting read, but the problem is you can't drag a good, insightful conversation out of inanity and idiocity - you can turn a good conversation into a shit one pretty easily though (and it happens in 100% of cases on the net).

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#39  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

This article makes some good points, such as pointing out commenters too often pull the unprofessional card, not agreeing with an article does not make it a poorly written article, journalists liking a certain company's products does not constitute bias, and readers have no right trying to meddle in journalists personal lives. The article also made a point which stood out to me even more than the ones I have mentioned and that's that people on the internet need to stop playing the "internet tough guy" game. When you deliver your opinion to someone you do it with an air of civility, that's basic common decency, however it's become socially acceptable in most online communities to make your points in an insulting and degrading way, and that is not how it should be.

On the other hand, there are some major flaws in this article which means it completely falls apart. Firstly, readers do have rights, and they do have the right to say journalists are being unprofessional should they have sufficient evidence to do so, upholding anything but this point of view is going against freedom of speech, a basic human right. Speaking of unprofessional this is the exact kind of article I think it's fair to call unprofessional. Not only does it seem like his emotions in general are getting in the way of his writing but he straight-out calls those unfairly criticising him and his peers "dumb, cruel,, entitled, tunneled vision shit eaters". The insults like these that he throws throughout the piece bring him down to the level of the exact people he's speaking out against and make him a hypocrite. In the argument between uncivil commenters and him he's made sure that neither side wins, and crushes an article which could have otherwise got some very important points out there.

As for how this relates to Giant Bomb I don't think it does all that much. Some of the commenters here do need to learn to back off from the staff's personal issues or try and remember that their laid-back attitude does not equate to unprofessionalism, but on the whole Giant Bomb still has by quite a way one of the better communities on the internet.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Red12b
@CptChiken:  
Do you fuck your mother? 
Avatar image for oppressivestink
OppressiveStink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By OppressiveStink
@ape_dosmil: 
Are you kidding me?  He doesn't have to say a damn thing for me to fill in the blanks.  

Hell, if you wanted a real eye-opener, you could read a little some of the work of Dan Hsu on how games journalism works in a soley-advertising based revenue stream.  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Hsu

No one needs to come out and comment on the gamespot thing because that's obviously what went on.  You know why people don't talk about it frankly?  Once again, ask Dan Hsu.  You come out and tell the truth about things like this and suddenly your access is cut by everybody.  No access to news events, no press releases and suddenly you're unhireable.  What use is a gaming website with writers who won't get to go to events, won't have access to game creators?  None.

That's why Hsu has bitmob.com, because now, he can decide what to do with the site, and to an equal extent, Giant Bomb.  It allows the group to not be tied down by outside economic interests.  And THAT is why I paid for my membership, I want to keep them like this so they never have to have another gamespot or 1up firing bullshit because someone spoke out about how it really is.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jimbo

"How dare you question me?!  I work at the internet!  I had to know a guy to get this job!"

ape_dosmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ape_dosmil
@OppressiveStink: I don't want to talk more about that stuff, it's in the past and I think Giant Bomb would prefer it remained in the past. All I'm trying to say is that unless someone has proof of bias or corruption then those kind of terms shouldn't be bandied about, especially for the most part when the accusations are completely ridiculous. If a reviewer has a liking for Apple products that doesn't make him biased whenever he reviews apple products, that might just mean I disagree with his opinion. They are paid to offer their opinion. Pitchfork have a track record of giving Radiohead, Arcade Fire, Joanna Newsom and Kanye West good review scores. That doesn't make them biased next time they review one of their records, that just means the writers at Pitchfork like those artists. For some reason on video game websites people equate bias with opinion and preference and have a tendency to jump to the worst conclusions whenever they disagree with those opinions.
CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By CptChiken
@Red12b said:
" @CptChiken:  Do you fuck your mother?  "
I dont like how that made me feel at all :(
owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By owl_of_minerva

Man, some of the posters there must be real filth. "Hey bro, I herd you got raped so ur review sux".  
But seriously, calling out your readership is an unwise move, because it may serve to alienate your loyal readers and give undue attention and credit to trolls, which is what they want after all. It's a bad article, although I can sympathise with his general point.
If anything it should just highlight the importance of constructive criticism and reasoned debate rather than the usual bickering over review scores or cult of personality antics.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#46  Edited By JJWeatherman

This commenter has it right: 

" I have no idea what prompted this screed so it is completely contextless for me. As such it reads to me like: I want to write strongly opinionated things but people shouldn't write strong criticisms of those opinions in response. Good luck with that. It is not a realistic expectation though. And normally I would be completely onboard with the whole 'Don't insult people that oppose your opinion' sentiment but have a hard time in this case since it is filled with insults aimed at people with opposing opinions. The biggest problem I have with it is that it is an article that asks for civility in a very uncivil manner. That uncivil tone really undermines the point so much it loses all effectiveness. 
There a some good points raised but they are obsured by excessive emotionalism and insults. I suspect there could this could have been a pretty good article if the author had let it sit for a couple days and then taken another pass at it after the emotions of whatever triggered it had subsided some. "

Stupid thing to publish imo.
wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
@Jimbo said:

" "How dare you question me?!  I work at the internet!  I had to know a guy to get this job!" "

No shit. Apparently this seems like the only way to get a job like this nowadays. It's not like you need to go to school (It might be beneficial in the long run) or anything like that. It's all in who your buddies are.

The video game industry as a whole is really nothing short of the mafia at this point.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Rockdalf

If he can't handle his opinion being seen as biased by the idiot public at large, he's in the wrong damn business.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By haggis
@Colonel_Fury said:
" @haggis: True but there is a difference between good comments (ones that actually add to the conversation) and stupid comments (the "rahhh you suck!" ones). If your posting on someones site and being stupid, they have every right to get rid of your ass. "
Sure, there's a difference. But open comments are like an open party invitation. You can't complain (or, at least, shouldn't) when assholes show up. Fact is, sites like Gizmodo need pageviews, and having assholes come by and post is good for their site ratings even if they don't like the comments. Sure, they have the right to "get rid of you" (whatever that means on a site that doesn't require registration), but others are just going to show up and do the same thing.

It seems to me like they want it both ways. They want to report on tech stuff and be taken somewhat seriously, but don't want to be professional (the article itself was a good example of this). They want to go around saying "fuck you" to their readers, but don't want readers to say "fuck you" to them. The whole thing is immature, really. If they want that sort of control, they can have it: waste time policing comments, or just turn them off. But they want the pageviews and return visits, so they can't do that. The whole thing seems like a ploy for pageviews, to me. If they were really serious, they'd have actually done something about it. Instead, they've decided to piss people off. It's all cynical marketing.
Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Rockdalf
@haggis: Exactly.  If I walk into McDonalds and the clerk greets me with "Fuck You" they have every right.  But that's not very professional and it's only going to lose customers.  Sure they're offering a service, but even the trolls help support that service as much as everyone else.  Attacking all the reader base is a wrong idea.