history podcast

jamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Drew had mentioned a history podcast a couple of times does anyone remember the name? Also is it free? Thanks

SkankinPacman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By SkankinPacman

I am pretty sure the one Drew has mentioned is Hardcore History. And it is absolutely free. Here you go duder. Get to learnin'!

DasBoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By DasBoot

You're looking for Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. Some episodes are free, there's a few series available from his website that are paid. Go man, go!

Avatar image for militantfreudian
militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Is it any good? I usually listen to Stuff You Missed in History Class, which I found to be equally informative and entertaining. How does this compare?

UncleBenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By UncleBenny

Hardcore History is actually hardcore. Dan Carlin describes himself not as a historian but a fan of history. The subject he covers frequently has to do with war and he often puts a personal touch on the subject (humanize might be a word to describe his personal touch?). If you like stuff about war or battles you should definitely check out Hardcore History.

I don't recommend listening to the most recent series, however, HH gets released about once every 2 to 3 months, and waiting for the next episode is killing me. I recommend waiting until this series is completed before listening to the whole thing.

Just as an aside, I started listening to this series when Chris Remo recommended it years ago on a PC Gamer podcast. All my friends enjoy it too. You should definitely give it a listen.

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AlmostSwedish

Also, if you like war-related history, I recommend followin The Great War on youtube. They are covering WWI in REAL TIME!

ModernAlkemie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you want a good feel for what the tone of his shows typically are, I would suggest starting off with the Logical Insanity episode. It is on the short side, which at 2 1/2 hours is saying something. While I enjoy Stuff You Missed in History Class, Hardcore History is in a completely different league. His shows generally take on a short audio book format, and they are very well researched compared to a lot of podcasts. He has been doing radio for years and so knows how to tell a story to a listening audience. He has a degree in history and is talking about a subject he is deeply passionate about. I find him much more engaging than Stuff and he does a better job at analyzing history as opposed to just recounting a list of facts.

randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By randiolo

All im gonna say is...Wrath of the Khans!

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@randiolo said:

All im gonna say is...Wrath of the Khans!

I love this podcast. I don't get to listen to podcasts much anymore, but back when I was working alone in a coffee shop I spent a week listening to the entire series of the Khans lessons. Super fascinating stuff.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I found Death Throes of the Republic to be a little more interesting than Wrath of the Khans, if only because I'm constantly blown away by how urban, how intelligent, how identifiably human Roman culture was. There's a tendency to reduce ancient figures to characters from drama, ruled by a few key signifiers, but the history reveals how real they were.

His descriptive ability, or at least his ability to quote detailed visual descriptions, gives me more of a sense of being in those moments than other history podcasts or courses I've listened to. I've been listening to a History of Western Civ podcast and it's both dry in delivery and lacking the vivid nuances that Carlin packs into his work.

I recommend either Death Throes of the Republic or the latest, Blueprint for Armageddon. Canadian history classes and social studies classes couldn't get me to care about World War One, but that series found a way to hook me by not getting lost in troop movements or protracted battles, and focused on what the war did to Western society. The historically unique tensions that were building, the impact it had at the time, the shockwaves that it left. Dovetailed nicely into Vagrant Valiant Hearts and the whole centenary happening this year.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

History of Rome is great if you like Roman History.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's an amazing podcast, highly recommended.

Cagliostro88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Cagliostro88

I started listening to Hardcore History when Drew mentioned the Thor's Angels episode. The series has been my faithful companion all throughout my playtrough of the first Dark Souls :D and now in my memory some of the fictional places in the game are bound to specific episodes that i was listening to (for example Anor Londo and the Painting world to Wrath of the Khans). While not the most accurate, heavily romanticized, and influenced a lot by his views (if you listen to the episode about Churchill you'll better understand him) I find the podcast extremely entertaining. Of course the best of the show are the series that span several episode like the already mentioned Death Throes, Wrath of the Khans and Punic Nightmares and Ghosts of the Ostfront. Personally i listened to the first couple of the Blueprint for Armageddon but now i'm waiting for him to release all the episodes because if I wait three or more months between them I tend to forget a lot of details

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

It's called Hardcore History. Available here. http://www.dancarlin.com/disp.php/hharchive

Or on iTunes. https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/dan-carlins-hardcore-history/id173001861?mt=2

And yes it is free like almost all Podcasts! :)

It's free, but you have to pay for older episodes (as in, quite a lot older).

jamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry if this posts 2x. I see 53 episodes but my podcast catcher only allows me to go back to #40. I use pocketcast on android any suggestions?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

If you like the first 13 podcasts, you can buy the older ones from his website. They're only a dollar or two per podcast. I can't imagine you've worked through the newer stuff. If that's your plan, I recommend Judgement at Nineveh, a short look at the fall of the ancient Assyrians, who were like if the Nazis had an empire for 800 years. The What-Ifs of 1066 isn't very detailed, but I do love the pre-Norman period of English history. Ghosts of the Ostfront is one of the best ways of explaining why Russian humor seems so Goddamn dark.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By fattony12000

To quote myself:

@fattony12000 said:
No Caption Provided

As both Drew and Brad mentioned on a video recently, Hardcore History is a great way to consume history...

He talks history better than most, and I simply love the lens through which he tells these stories.

But yes, The World at War is required viewing regarding World War II.

Source: http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic-31/the-world-at-war-is-a-great-documentary-1494202/

I really, really enjoyed these recent one-off episodes in particular:

And let me tell you, visiting Hiroshima and seeing that place for yourself is quite something after having just listened to that show.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

Stuff They Don't Want You To Know also has an audio podcast. I'd say it has some pretty good history talk, more-so when they talk about political history and stuff. HowStuffWorks sure has a huge list of good podcasts. I guess Discovery Channel just sold off HowStuffWorks, weird.

Tech Stuff is also pretty good, just saying.

peterdotorg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sometimes I forget podcasts can serve more purposes than just comedy, and I do like history, so...thanks for bringing this up!

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Life of Caesar and Revolutions are both great podcasts.

Cerebus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you like Hardcore History, Dan Carlin has been on the Joe Rogan Podcast a few times as a guest.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23  Edited By veektarius

I find Carlin a little too sensationalist and patronizing. I stopped listening to him, though there was definitely interesting content there.