House of Cards Has Finally, For Real, Jumped the Shark (Spoilers)

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Beware of spoilers for the whole series. Though I won't be spoiling anything specific in this post. You all are open to discuss freely.

This show is a complete shadow of it's former self. "Twists" fizzle in and out, old characters lack meaningful/interesting motivations, new ones are paper thin, some of the hypothetical scenarios are dubious (even by realities standards). What's worse than it's sloppy execution is how boring it has become. It's been like a week and I'm already starting to forget the major beats of season 5, where as seasons 1-2 have stuck with me for years.

House of Cards was a sea change in many ways. It completely flipped the script on our perception of TV and how we consume it. It never would have accomplished this if it wasn't compelling, and boy was it. That is no longer the case.

betterley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I completely disagree. I loved the new season. Maybe I'm not "cultured" enough. If anything, I'd agree that seasons 2 and 3 were a little boring.

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The "twist" in the final episodes of this season was the most hamfisted and un-earned reveal I can remember seeing the past decade in tv shows.

Otherwise I thought this season was much better in general than 3 and 4. But that reveal was so bad it's silly. It soured the whole season for me.

They really should have ended it with season 2, that would have been a historically great tv show with a perfect self contained ending.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@betterley: I never implied that. Not sure why you quoted "cultured" as if I said that

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By citizencoffeecake

Not the best season but I certainly want to see how the show ends. I feel like this season ended in a way that could have been a series finale without renewal, albeit a disappointing one. They need to wrap the show up for real but if Doug Stamper and Frank are on the sidelines for an actual final season that will be a real shame.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

VEEP is the more realistic show about DC politics anyway.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I only watched up to halfway through season 3 and fell off. I have read some of the synopsis for season 4 and just read a summary of season 5, and yeah that show seems silly now.