How Can Microsoft Better Compete Against Google and Apple?

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KaosAngel

Bitches (and Whores), 

With the news of Microsoft being downgraded yet again by firms, shareholders are telling Microsoft to focus on being better versus Google and Apple.   

So, as expect gamers, how can Microsoft do well enough? 

Keep in mind that Microsoft's stock is at barely 20 dollars a share (and has been for close to 10 years) while Apple is around 300 (expected to go close to 500 soon) and Google's is at 600 a share.   

Let's hear some ideas on how to best improve Microsoft!

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

Boobs, alcohol and Patrick Stewart.

Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Lemoncookie01

They should make Bing less shitty.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Skytylz

Isn't there a vastly higher number of shares available in Microsoft than Apple and Google?

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By iam3green

make more zune products, mini zunes, zune video, actually make laptops instead of say dell laptop make a microsoft laptop. pretty much do what apple is doing with all of their products. they already have a search engine just like google.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By KaosAngel
@Skytylz: That doesn't matter anymore.  Google and Apple jumped prices in stock like a fucking jet rocket in space from 2005.  Microsoft has been steadily going in a downward flat curve during the same time period.  Shareholders want Microsoft to bail Zune, Xbox, and other entertainment so they can better focus on beating Google and Apple.
Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jadeskye

As a gamer, i care about microsoft's share value! 

...Wut. 

Your thread has absolutely no value Kaos. What these companies are worth and what they are actually doing are two very different things. 

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By zombie2011
@Lemoncookie01 said:
" They should make Bing less shitty. "
How is it shitty?  

I use it all the time and it works great.
foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By foggel
@KaosAngel said:
" Bitches (and Whores) "
Hehe xD

Yeah anyway. Stock prices are people perception of how well Microsoft is doing. People think that future projects are worth 20 dollars a stock. Maybe Microsoft should work on their ambitions?
FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By FourWude

Don't be evil. No I'm being serious.

EDIT: Look what I'm saying, they're competing against Apple and Google. The only way they're gonna win against those two is by being the biggest evil bastards around.

So there's my answer, be either less evil and hope people see that and flock to MS, or be the biggest evil bastards around and hope you crush the competition, but will invariably alienate the wider consumer base.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By captain_clayman

make better products. 

trollface.jpg 

oh and forget about the zune.  it'll never work.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Daryl

More Xboxes.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By FCKSNAP
@captain_clayman said:
" make better products.  trollface.jpg  oh and forget about the zune.  it'll never work. "
Here I'll help! 
No Caption Provided
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

whats funny is that most people don't use google because it works they use it because its whats offered google is every where. I use google not because its my search engine of choice but because its the default that firefox uses when it starts up.

Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Lemoncookie01
@zombie2011 said:
" @Lemoncookie01 said:
How is it shitty?   I use it all the time and it works great. "
Alright let me rephrase what i said.They should try market Bing more to the public ; it's a waste if no one uses it.
Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Skytylz
@KaosAngel said:
" @Skytylz: That doesn't matter anymore.  Google and Apple jumped prices in stock like a fucking jet rocket in space from 2005.  Microsoft has been steadily going in a downward flat curve during the same time period.  Shareholders want Microsoft to bail Zune, Xbox, and other entertainment so they can better focus on beating Google and Apple. "
I understand most entertainment, but aren't they making money on Xbox finally?  I guess they are probably shitting a bunch of money down the drain with Kinect, but other than that they're in a solid second this generation.
zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By zombie2011
@Lemoncookie01 said:
" @zombie2011 said:
" @Lemoncookie01 said:
Alright let me rephrase what i said.They should try market Bing more to the public ; it's a waste if no one uses it. "
Yahoo is powered by Bing, and tons of people use that.
ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ShadowSkill11

Microsoft needs to hire less extremely talented Indians and Chinese people and more douchebag white people like apple and google. They also need to embrace elitest, douchebag culture like Apple fans do.

EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By EVHKwick
@Skytylz said:
" Isn't there a vastly higher number of shares available in Microsoft than Apple and Google? "
This. And I'm positive the number of computers running Windows outnumbers Apple computers by a really large margin. If anyone has data that refutes this, I'd love to see it.

Better question: how can Apple and Google compete with Microsoft?
Avatar image for comradekritstov
ComradeKritstov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ComradeKritstov

Come up with an original product?

HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HypoXenophobia
@Skytylz said:
" Isn't there a vastly higher number of shares available in Microsoft than Apple and Google? "

When the stock volume splits, the prices halve and the shares double. Generally, you would do a split to make it more easier to invest in. Example being when Google released the Chinese version of Google, Baidu. The stock started at 80, went up to 600, split. Went up to 800, split. Several times in one day. 

Personally, I find this topic to be a bit weird.
one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By one_2nd

make smart phones that are good. also, stop screwing over xbl costumers. 

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By fjordson
j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By j_drace

They need to get rid of that idiot Steve Balmer and just most of the higher-ups.  Also they need to be more of a closed and controlling company like Apple.  They are stuck in the last generation where they were kings.  All of their products now are either shit or a copy of another product.  Bing is ok, but not better than google.  I've used it so I know.  There isn't much of a race in the MP3 department since iPod dominates everything in sight and rightfully so.  Zune is ok, but they just can't get it to work.  Also the marketing is pretty much nonexistent and the design doesn't connect with the common person.  The design is too hardcore.  The XBOX division in terms of quality is the only solid division.  Windows 7 is better than Vista, but still behind OSX and when Lion comes out it's game over.  Windows 7 phone will be solid, but will be held back due to the fact that Microsoft will just let a bunch of third party manufacturers like Samsung and LG make them in to shit. 

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Emilio

First of all, they need to hire somebody that can make Microsoft proper profits.

WEGGLES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By WEGGLES
@iam3green said:
" make more zune products, mini zunes, zune video, actually make laptops instead of say dell laptop make a microsoft laptop. pretty much do what apple is doing with all of their products. they already have a search engine just like google. "
GAUGHGHHGGH no. 

If I wanted a shitty over priced computer with a closed down OS I'd get a Mac. 
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TwoOneFive

im happy with them not being able to keep up. but we know that isn't true, and we all know they're competing JUST fine. i mean come on folks, the things it does great are still super strong, its just the stuff like Bing etc that it needs to do a more aggressive job with. 

@ShadowSkill11 said:

" Microsoft needs to hire less extremely talented Indians and Chinese people and more douchebag white people like apple and google. They also need to embrace elitest, douchebag culture like Apple fans do. "

well you sound like the biggest douchebag on this site. 
jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jasta

Invest their time and money in something that Apple and Google hasint got their finger in already and let them compete with Microsoft.

I make it sound so easy to capture the hearts of the public and take their money from them.

tskunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By tskunk
@hack745 said:
" @Skytylz said:
This. And I'm positive the number of computers running Windows outnumbers Apple computers by a really large margin. If anyone has data that refutes this, I'd love to see it. Better question: how can Apple and Google compete with Microsoft? "

I think the main thing here is that computers are not viewed as the future of consumer computing. Instead, smartphones and tablets are increasingly able to fill the needs of everyday web users. Microsoft lags in both categories.
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Azteck
@TheSeductiveMoose said:
" Boobs, alcohol and Patrick Stewart. "
Truth is just oozing from this statement.
EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By EVHKwick
@tskunk said:
" @hack745 said:
" @Skytylz said:
This. And I'm positive the number of computers running Windows outnumbers Apple computers by a really large margin. If anyone has data that refutes this, I'd love to see it. Better question: how can Apple and Google compete with Microsoft? "
 I think the main thing here is that computers are not viewed as the future of consumer computing. Instead, smartphones and tablets are increasingly able to fill the needs of everyday web users. Microsoft lags in both categories. "
To be honest, I don't think they expect to gain that much ground in either (though I know they're releasing versions of each). Microsoft's primary concern will always be PCs and, distantly, the 360. Microsoft will still be a powerhouse company, unless tablets start filling offices and schools. 

And isn't the Windows 7 Phone supposed to be pretty decent?
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By KaosAngel
@hack745 said:
"And isn't the Windows 7 Phone supposed to be pretty decent? "
...they couldn't stop making fun of it on the Engadget Show, and on This Week In Tech by Leo.   

Microsoft has always been playing catch up to Google and Apple for the past 5 years.  
Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By Romination
@zombie2011 said:
" @Lemoncookie01 said:
" @zombie2011 said:
" @Lemoncookie01 said:
Alright let me rephrase what i said.They should try market Bing more to the public ; it's a waste if no one uses it. "
Yahoo is powered by Bing, and tons of people use that. "
Bing was created with the public in mind. Its name is also meant to be a verb so you can tell people to Bing it. It had commercials everywhere. I've seen Googleads replaced by Bing bars on a number of site. I think they're doing a decent job making its name known. 

It started out as shit, but they've done things to it to make it pretty amazing, and Google seems to be the ones lagging behind now.
EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By EVHKwick
@KaosAngel said:

" @hack745 said:

"And isn't the Windows 7 Phone supposed to be pretty decent? "
...they couldn't stop making fun of it on the Engadget Show, and on This Week In Tech by Leo.    Microsoft has always been playing catch up to Google and Apple for the past 5 years.   "
My mistake. I'll have to go pick up my copy of Google's OS, and the version of an Apple OS not made for the least common denominator.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By KaosAngel
@hack745: Millions of people listen to Leo Laporte, and take his word as fact.  Leo's entire staff said WIndows Phone 7 is kinda a joke last week on his show.  Endgadget just ripped it apart and said to just get an Android or iPhone. 

No Copypasta, no multi-tasking, etc.  Microsoft always playing catch up.
Avatar image for hunkaburningluv
hunkaburningluv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By hunkaburningluv
@Lemoncookie01 said:

and release the Zune in a market other than the US. 

No wonder the thing has died on it's arse.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ComradeKritstov said:
" Come up with an original product? "
What like this thing? 

Avatar image for oppressivestink
OppressiveStink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By OppressiveStink

Microsoft hasn't played to it's strengths for a long time and that's where it's dropped the ball and has been dropping the ball for a long time.  

Let's take their core products right now.  Zune, Windows 7, Windows 7 mobile and Xbox360.  There shouldn't be a single issue with me using these items together in any circumstance since they are all developed in house.

Take Zune for example.  I owned a zune about two and a half years ago.  I liked it a lot.  Good sound, built-in FM radio and it was just starting to get games.  What I really enjoyed, though, is listening to Audio books.  Sometimes, when ripping audio books, all the tracks aren't named correctly, and the Zune software puts it in it's own album and category, making it hard  to create a playlist with all the tracks I need from the book.  Okay, so I should be able to use a drag and drop method to build playlists... no?  Okay, then I can use Media Player to make playlists and sync them, right?  They're both Microsoft products... nope!

Then we can take a look at what each OS comes with out of the box.  The people who make GIMP and OpenOffice have prettymuch made photoshop and microsoft office obsolite.  So, for personal use, why not offer lite versions for free with your OS?  Not to mention a decent audio editing program and movie maker!  Hell, make special editions of your OS that include creative programs tailor made for a genre (IE music, art, or hell video games) and try to re-capture that creative class that left the platform due to ease of use?  Imagine a version of Win 7 that comes with a simple game-creator suite with tutorials, sample games, and a free agreement with XNA creators club to publish games on Xbox360 and Zune?

How about a live event each year, showcasing new software abilities, new integration, showcasing exceptional community games?  Hell, overall investing more in their public face.

That's tip of the iceberg right there.  I could go on, but, that being said, I'll stand by all my Microsoft devices, because, well, I know how to work around any issues they have, they're cheaper, and they play video games!

Avatar image for comradekritstov
ComradeKritstov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ComradeKritstov
@zudthespud said:
" @ComradeKritstov said:
" Come up with an original product? "
What like this thing? 

"
Sorry, I should have added "that people will buy or use." =P 

Yea surface is really cool but it's one thing and I don't see it gaining critical mass.
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By mordukai

Get rid of Steve Ballmer and a bunch of other of his like minded lackeys and put some fresh new, young blood into that company. MS's board of directors need to understand that the guy that's running the company is running straight to the fucking ground. Ballmer is not tech guy, he's a gods damn sales man who got lucky being at the right place in the right time and like many other make money over Bill Gates. MS need someone who understand where technology is going and not some oversize, overpaid, glorified salesman who's just trying to sell you shamwows. 

dutch42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By dutch42

Given the somewhat shady corporate policy exhibited by all of the companies mentioned, I think that the best way to get ahead is probably to construct a Mr. Burns-esque sun blocking contraption.
valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By valrog

Why would I want to improve Microsoft? After all the horrible things they've done. I still hate Apple with a passion, though.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#44  Edited By Geno

Er...you're comparing company wealth by their raw stock prices? You realize that companies can choose to split their stock right? MS has split 9 times in its lifetime, Apple 3, and Google none. Stock splitting and therefore price adjustment are motivated by wanting to create a lower barrier of entry so that smaller investors can also get involved. Do you even know how stocks work? 

Anyway, as to your question, MS is doing just fine. They're a staple in the productivity and gaming sectors with MS Office and Xbox, Windows 7 is the fastest selling OS ever, W7 phone has just been launched with reasonable success and Bing market share is constantly growing. What else do you want? 

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#45  Edited By ptys

The problem with Microsoft (I think) was that they got into too much of a comfort zone with windows in the 90's and 0's and companies like Apple had the freedom to experiment as they had nothing to lose. Now I think Microsoft is looking the best it has in a while with new innovations coming out of every avenue, so we'll see what happens. Still think all companies need to address their greedy business models but we are currently in a technology boom and it's no-holds-barred! Competition is a great thing for consumers.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By korwin

All I can think about is how much I regret not buying Google when they went public...

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

Apple Inc's last profit report was $8.24 billion. 
Google's last profit report was $6.520 billion. 
Microsoft last profit report was $18.760 billion. 

I think Microsoft is doing ok for itself

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Buck_Sexington:  I guess you have to look at it in the same way you look at sony's Playstation, they are still making a killing but they have lost a lot of market share recently.