How did your past phone bite the dust?

• 53 results
Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Poll How did your past phone bite the dust? (198 votes)

Of old age 15%
It didn't die, I just replaced it. 62%
It died of a watery grave in a toilet/sink/shower 7%
Dropped it 8%
I lost it 2%
It was destroyed by someone other than me 4%
Other 9%

So had a curious thought this morning. How do most people's cell/smartphones bite the dust? Anyone have any interesting stories about how it happened? Please keep it civil though.

• 
Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

My old iPhone 3g lasted me a good 5 years, but then his one button that is used for a billion different things, just stopped working.

It's battery life was awful at that point too. So I'd say old age.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

It didn't die. I just got a new one. I now use my old one for running stuff.

My previous phone before my last one though, started rebooting randomly and then just stopped. The phone before that constantly overheated and eventually just gave up.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Jesus_Phish

My last phone was a Samsung I5800 Galaxy 3 which I got in 2010. I had it until late 2014 when I replaced it with an old Nokia that had buttons on the front of it because the Samsung battery just couldn't hold a charge for more than 4 hours of standby or about 5 minutes of a phone call.

The Nokia goes two weeks before needing a charge.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never actually had a phone break, in the 13 or so years I've had one. Battery lives have shrunk and stuff, but all of them still work. The reason I replaced my last phone was just 'cause I wanted a change and a cheaper sim-only contract.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I throw it in a garbage bin in a drunken rage.

Refactored

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Mine is just slowly falling apart (original HTC One). The speaker was suddenly blown out one afternoon, anything above a whisper is now super rattly and distorted. Then 2 weeks ago the cover for the camera just came off in my pocket, the glue from the piece of glass just slid right off. This is now currently held on with a piece of Sellotape.

And then yesterday it just magically stopped recognising the headphone jack and I'm currently using an app to force sound to the headphones.

All in all a top class piece of tech.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Current phone is fine after three years, apart from a pretty poor battery life

The previous phone, though... washed a bunch of clothes, it was still in a pocket at the time

Mistakes you only make once

Avatar image for thatonedudenick
ThatOneDudeNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ThatOneDudeNick

I've never broken or lost a phone. From my old Ericsson from like 1999 to my current phone. Most unreliable phone I've owned was the first Samsung Galaxy. I hated every second that I owned that phone. That's the closest a phone has been to broken for me.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Typically old age or was sick of it, and since my brother works for T Mobile he would give me relatively new "older" phones that he stopped using because something new came out.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I traded my iPhone 4 in for a Note 4.

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SarcasticMudcrab

Totally boring way, it ran out of batteries and when I plugged in the charger nothing happened, it wouldn't charge.

Shoddy HTC budget phone, replaced it with a sony phone.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Sessh

I got grabbed and pulled into a jacuzzi while still wearing all my clothes. So my phone died a watery death then and there. But without going into details: It was totally worth it.

Previous one fell to the ground one times to many. The rest never died.

Firepaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never broken a phone in my life, I always replace them because of age. Actually my current phone is the most broken phone I have ever owned, with a small crack in the screen that is barely noticeable.

Avatar image for mustachioeugene
mustachioeugene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Last phone slipped out of my hand down a flight of concrete stairs in a parking garage while on a business trip. Luckily there was an electronics store on the ground floor of the building I was in so I was sans phone less than 15 minutes.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My last smart slept with the fishes in my work's toilet.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Concrete floor meet cell phone, cell phone meet concrete floor"

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By forkboy

I left the charger in a hotel and 4 years later I had still not actually replaced the charger. So I just bit the bullet and bought a smartphone.

rflx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My old iPhone 4's home button started to become unresponsive, so I took it apart and tried to clean the button area inside. When I put it back together, the button worked perfectly, but for some reason the touch screen stopped working.

I gave up and got an Android phone instead.

Morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stepped on it while sleep walking...

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By monkeyking1969

My Samsung S3 is not dead yet. (S3: I feel happy.) Shut up you ! Die already!!!!

No Caption Provided

My S3 got dropped a lot, the screen never broke, but in the last three months the gorilla glass as started to delaminate from those drops. The camera flash can often overwhelms the battery and stut off the phone, and it is losing it ability to hold a decent battery charge anyway. The damn thing is three or four years old, so it was due [bring out your dead] to die. But, I'd say, it is dying of old age because it actually does work rather well even now. [My next phone might be an Samsung S6 Edge, but I will see the choices in May then decide]

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morningstar: Oh snap! I hope you didn't hurt your foot dude.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ichthy

My HTC One X just started going to a black screen from booting. No idea what happened to it, but I suspect it had something to do with the battery.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stopped needing a phone... so stopped using one. That was about 8 or 9 years ago now.

Colony024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was rocking a 13 year old Nokia with no functionality aside from calling and texting, and it was great. Then the battery gave up the ghost and needed to be recharched after just about every single button press. I looked into just replacing the battery, but since it was such an old model the only option I had was to import a new one from lord knows where, at a cost higher than buying a whole new phone altogether.

So then I switched to a Samsung Galaxy smartphone; thought I'd try out how all this newfangled internet stuff on phones works. Well, that lasted about a year and a half. The SD card that came shipped with it already malfunctioned and refuses to be read, it randomly seems to delete things I've saved on it (internal memory as well, not just the SD), it loses connection every other day or so, requiring me to fully shut it down and reboot otherwise I can't make or recieve calls, and for some weird reason text messages I receive often seem to be delayed by several hours (using the same provider as my old phone). In short; I hate the damn thing and will be getting a different phone sometime soon. Hooray for progress. I'm going back to using an abacus, since all I need from it is being able to use the phone, which is exactly what that piece of shit seems to have the most trouble with.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

My previous cel phone was an orange/black screen Alcatel model.

Eventually, I decided I had enough of a phone whose idea of a game was snakes, so I replace it with an Galaxy S3, which is my current phone... But I am still pretty sure I could turn my old phone on.

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CByrne

My old phone is still kickin' it was just WinMo 6.5 so I had to update and got a Note 2. I am on my 2nd Note 2 though. My first one's charging port caught on fire while it was charging. The usb cable failed at the port on the phone and fried the phone. It's weird seeing a cell phone smoking/smoldering.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never had a phone die. But my iPhone 4 was running like shit. So I upgraded to a note 3

SgtSphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#28 SgtSphynx  Moderator

My last phone was replaced, but this phone will die of old age because I refuse to lose my unlimited data.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 14

My previous phone was a flip phone and my current one was my first smart phone. The upgrade was a long time coming and despite not knowing what exactly I'd use a smart phone for, I'm immensely happy I upgraded.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Had an iphone 5.

Last month i was at the gym, dumbbell bench, my phone slid out of my pocket and when if finished my set I dropped the dumbbell right on the corner of my phone and smashed the screen. After my workout if just bought an iphone 6, wasn't too bothered by it though, my phone was kind of slow and 6 was a pretty big step up. Not like a 5 to 5s kind of thing.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I updated my iPhone 4 to the iOS that was tailored for the 5 series. That essentially made the phone unusable, so I replaced it with an Android.

dadjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had some crappy android that would freeze and crash all the time, so I replaced it with my sister's old 4S. Before that I just had dumbphones and they all just sort of crapped out eventually.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the 10 plus years that I've own various phones I have never broken any of them. They have just been replaced and are sitting in a drawer somewhere.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

The touchscreen on my iPhone broke. Not all of it, just part of the bit you slide to unlock it. So the phone technically worked, but I couldn't unlock it to actually use it. Took it into the shop and found out replaced the touchscreen would cost way more than a new phone.

Ryagan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

My phone was really crappy, and I desperately needed an upgrade, so I got my brother's old phone.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lost it on a Bus :(

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My old Samsung Galaxy Gio totally worked for two years. I just realized I don't like Android so I switched to an Apple-device.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never broken a phone. Lucky me. My first phone was some brick with a black and green display and a built in flashlight. The flashlight was a cool feature.

I eventually went to a grey flip phone with a color display and what not.

Then I went on to a slide phone which was great for butt dialing. The clips that held the back on broke, but a little tape and it was good as new.

Then I had a iPhone 3GS and finally I have a 4s.

I guess I'm just lucky. I have dropped my 4s countless times, but somehow it makes it out of the ordeal unscathed. I probably just jinxed myself. Oh god there's glass everywhere, what's leaking out of the side.

fuzzypumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I get way too drunk too often. I had to replace my phone 3 times in San francisco. One iPhone 4 and two iPhone 5c's. I suck.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It had random black outs for some reason, kept turning off, especially when opening googlemaps or my GPS.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was a Blackberry, it was a very functional phone but it had next to no app support so I moved on to greener pastures.

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 23

I had a Nokia 7250i for 4 years before all the buttons stopped working. Now i have a Nokia 6300 for about 7 years, still going strong.

TangyGeoduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only phone I've ever broken was through my own negligence. I forgot to take it out of the pocket of the gym shorts I wore under (American) football pads, and thus it was smashed pretty badly at practice. It still worked, the screen simply turned psychedelic so I couldn't text or see who was calling. Those old pre-smartphones were really tough.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#44  Edited By isomeri

My previous phone was a Lumia 920, which I sold to a friend when I won a Lumia 1020 from a competition. The phone I had before these two was a Nokia 3220, which served me well for eight years and I still use it sometimes when I need a small phone with a really beefy battery. The only phone that has really broken on me my was my N-Gage, which I accidentally dropped into the Baltic Sea.

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dropped my last phone in the street. But that didn't kill it. My work bought me a new phone when I started with them, so I replaced it then and gave my old one to my sister in law.

I miss that old phone, because it had a replaceable battery. My HTC M7 doesn't. Not only did this offer the option to replace it when the battery started to fail but when I dropped it in the street the phone split into its several pieces, screen, backplate, and battery, and sent the force of the fall outwards. I imagine if I were to drop this HTC like I did that old phone that it would just break. :(

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The day I was going to replace my iPhone 4, I walked into a swimming pool at the camp I worked at with the phone in my pocket. Oops.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't replace phones, I just add sims to the new ones. Now I have a family phone(like 10 year old Nokia), a friend phone(Lumia) and a work phone(5 year old Nokia).

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't believe I've ever had a phone die. I just upgrade every 2 years.

Zapbrader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I dropped mine and the screen shattered because I had no case for it, because I'm an idiot.

Getting a replacement was simple at least.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have that deal with T-Mobile where I get a new phone every 6 months. So that is what has happened to my last 4 phones. I might just keep this nexus 6 though. It's pretty perfect for me.

My wife's iPhone 5 was destroyed by toddler vomit.