How do I know if I like programming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I know it's a dumb question, but I really need some answers. 

I'm asking myself this question because I'm thinking that maybe I should pursue computer science in college, but I've read that it takes lots of perseverance, dedication, learning outside of school/work and that you should only bother with it if it's something that you'll truly enjoy.  Now, how am I supposed to know if I'll enjoy programming?   

Obviously, the simple answer would be "program and see if you enjoy it", but first I'd need to start by learning a programming language.  Would I know if I am one to enjoy programming by being genuinely interested in studying a language or would I only know once I've learned that language and I start developing my own applications and stuff?  Would a slight period of disinterest or frustration during the learning/execution process mean that I'd experience more boredom with programming than fun/satisfaction in the end?  

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By SeriouslyNow

DarkBasic or UDK.  Two good places to start.  Both have free versions and you can get lots of tutorials on line.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@SeriouslyNow: Not necessarily for video games, mind you.  I'll check those out though, but it just seems so overwhelming.
FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By FancySoapsMan

The only experience I have with programming is with Jcreator. It takes quite a bit of patience and focus. I realized after my first year of compSci that it's just not for me. 

If you're the kind of person who can spend a long time trying to solve a singleproblem, then it probably shouldn't be a problem I guess.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@FluxWaveZ:  Well the thing is is that you'll want to start somewhere that gives you immediate feedback so it will be much easier to track your porgress and thus measure your enjoyment.  MINECRAFT is written in Java but the kind of expertise involved in creating something like that requires a lot of experience with the language.  Now, I'm not saying that you'll have to end up as a games programmer but I am saying that simple game SDKs give you a really good idea whether you'll enjoy the art of programming in of itself.
Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

find a book in russian. 
try reading it. 
are you compelled to figure out what this shit means? 
if yes, try programming. if no, you're a sane well adjusted person. 

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Xeiphyer

Well, if you decide to try Computer Science in college and then you don't like it after the first semester or year, you can always just change degree streams. Chances are that whatever courses you took will carry over and apply for the other degree anyways. Of course you would want to make sure they did before you took the courses.

I would recommend trying to learn Python as an introductory programming language, its a newer language and is much more user friendly. Its also a lot easier to read and comprehend what you are doing because the syntax is a lot closer to being english sentences than most other languages.

If you end up liking programming then you should definitely go learn C#, from there you can start working in XNA which is what people use to make XBL Indie games and stuff.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@FancySoapsMan said:
" If you're the kind of person who can spend a long time trying to solve a singleproblem, then it probably shouldn't be a problem I guess. "
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. 

@SeriouslyNow: Ah, I see.  Thanks.  I've read that game programming might be the most difficult kind, but perhaps that information was mainly focused on C++.
Skullo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Skullo
@odintal said:
" find a book in russian. try reading it. are you compelled to figure out what this shit means? if yes, try programming. if no, you're a sane well adjusted person.  "
lol!

I think I might be too stupid to program.
kelbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kelbear
@FluxWaveZ:  

You just do it and find that it's more of a fun hobby than studying.
Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jiggah

Python is also my recommended starter language.  The truth is that the language isn't a huge issue.  It's the ability to pick up the logic behind general programming and that is what turns a lot of people off from programming.  Once you get the logic, other languages pretty much follow the same rules. 

Most colleges require a basic computer course, even for majors like business.  In these courses, you'll probably do some very basic programming, usually in Visual Basic.  If you dig what you learn there, then you can figure out if you enjoy it or not.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@odintal said:

" find a book in russian. try reading it. are you compelled to figure out what this shit means? if yes, try programming. if no, you're a sane well adjusted person.  "

:( 

@Xeiphyer said:

" Well, if you decide to try Computer Science in college and then you don't like it after the first semester or year, you can always just change degree streams. Chances are that whatever courses you took will carry over and apply for the other degree anyways. Of course you would want to make sure they did before you took the courses. "

But I'm really, really obsessed with efficiency towards my future education.  Basically, I don't want to waste any time and I want to figure out exactly what I want to do in the future without dabbling uselessly in a course for a year or two and figuring out, in the end, that that's not what I want to do. 

Thanks for the Python suggestion.  I've read that it's a good place to start and I'll strongly consider it. 

@kelbear said: 

@FluxWaveZ:   You just do it and find that it's more of a fun hobby than studying. "

Yeah... I guess that rule applies to anything, though.
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FunExplosions

It is a process of extreme hard work yielding much smaller doses of short-lived gratification. You need to be in the mindset that all your hard work will create something fantastic in the long run. 

You can try Game Maker. There are a few really good tutorials for it on Youtube. You will quickly learn how to make a character move around and how to make killable enemies. Game Maker offers some relatively handy preset commands, but if you want a real feel for programming - and if you want real flexibility in your project - just go the coding-route. 

I know you said not specifically for gaming... but it's always a good place to start. After all, it's definitely more gratifying than building web pages or creating website layouts.

Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Mighty

The high school I went to taught Visual Basic.
groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By groin

Well, you could just take 1 introductory course to get your feet wet. However, you should know that computer science is not really about programming. Computer science is really a math subfield. Some of the 3rd and 4th year courses that I took never involved using a computer. If you are just interested in programming then a full degree might be overkill.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@FunExplosions: Ah, I remember Game Maker.  I used to play with that a little bit but, yeah, it's not really a great representation of what programming actually is (unless you supplemented your games with code).  Developing games might be more gratifying, but man can I imagine it being way harder than web development.  Might be more fun, though.  I've read that making a mod for an existing game might also be a nice place to start for game development. 

@Empirepaintball: I wish my high school taught programming...
Avatar image for comradekritstov
ComradeKritstov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By ComradeKritstov
@Jiggah said:
" Python is also my recommended starter language.  The truth is that the language isn't a huge issue.  It's the ability to pick up the logic behind general programming and that is what turns a lot of people off from programming.  Once you get the logic, other languages pretty much follow the same rules.  Most colleges require a basic computer course, even for majors like business.  In these courses, you'll probably do some very basic programming, usually in Visual Basic.  If you dig what you learn there, then you can figure out if you enjoy it or not. "
This this this. Learn Python, seriously.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@groin said: 

" Well, you could just take 1 introductory course to get your feet wet. However, you should know that computer science is not really about programming. Computer science is really a math subfield. Some of the 3rd and 4th year courses that I took never involved using a computer. If you are just interested in programming then a full degree might be overkill. "

Yeah, I know that there's more to the course than programming.  The college course I'm looking at as a potential one would teach linear algebra, calculus, business administration and even psychology, but it's all ultimately to land a job that consists mainly of programming.    
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FunExplosions
@FluxWaveZ: No Computer Science courses in your school? That sucks. Although I took and failed the CS course I took in high school. Didn't really care for the whole studying thing... 

But yeah man. I'm sure if you wanted to you could find tutorials online for any kind of language. And I guess you should try Python out. That seems like the route to take.
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Xeiphyer
@FluxWaveZ: Another way you could really maximize efficiency would be to check what language the first year computer science courses are teaching and see if you can teach yourself it.  I found learning a programming language by myself to be incredibly hard since there is a lot to know and its not always clear what direction you should learn in at first, it was definitely a lot easier learning in a class. 

Even if you get discouraged while trying to learn on your own, as long as the concept of what you are trying to learn interests you I'd say take the course.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@FunExplosions: Education's a little different here in Quebec (our version of high school is from grades 7-11; our version of college would be the equivalent of grades 12-13 [or grades 12-14, if you took a technical program like the computer science course I'm looking at] and then we go on to university which is shorter that in the U.S. because of CEGEP) 

I guess Python's a good way to go.  I still need to research some more, but I predict I'll eventually start by learning Python and see how it goes from there.
kzeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kzeni

Reddit's programming community is a great place for someone to learn & ask questions like these. They've also had numerous insightful answers for questions like this, check it out.

Light Bot 2.0 (1.0) is a flash game that you might like that helps teach programming fundamentals. It's still best to come up with an excuse to get your hands dirty and try programming something yourself though (Python is a capable, yet simple, language and would make a great place to start).

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mars_Cleric

I had the same problem so I did some first year programming subjects at uni and found out I didn't like it so much, but luckily they counted towards my engineering degree.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Xeiphyer said: 

" Even if you get discouraged while trying to learn on your own, as long as the concept of what you are trying to learn interests you I'd say take the course. "

Place more importance in the concept...  Got it.  Also, the first actual programming language we'd be taught in the course, in the first year (term 2) would be Java.  

@KZeni: Thanks for the links; I'm sure they'll prove very useful.  That flash game's pretty abstract, but I guess I can see the links between it and the fundamentals of programming. 

@Mars_Cleric said:
" I had the same problem so I did some first year programming subjects at uni and found out I didn't like it so much, but luckily they counted towards my engineering degree. "
That seems to be the trend...  Many people who were uncertain about computer science and took it, it seems, ditched it soon afterwards.  It's as if everyone who sticks with it knew from the start that that's what they wanted to do.
scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By scarace360

You will know you like it when you can spend days doing it and it dosent feel like any time.

duderbattalion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By duderbattalion
@FluxWaveZ:  Yeah .. Python's absolutely amazing, but I have just started picking up that language. I personally started up with C++ .. but it's got a steep learning curve. Btw .. I started a new thread about Game programming and asking programming questions in general. Didn't find a thread here that deals with it .. so created a new one. I do a lot of coding myself, but sometimes, finding proper game specific answers are hard to come by. I'm sure there are people here who could code in their sleep .. maybe they can help some brothers out :)  

So yeah .. thread's linked below. If you have any questions while learning python/C++ .. maybe you can post in there and some of us could help you out. 
http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion/30/game-programming-discussion-thread/456281/
Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mars_Cleric
@FluxWaveZ:
well some of my mates have stills tuck with it and really like it 
the main reason I didn't like it so much is because I didn't want to put in the hours 
so if you want to do it you should be prepared to practise it 
but I'd give it a try since it's VERY useful to know at least some programming
Avatar image for physicalscience
physicalscience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a comp sci degree and have been a software engineer for a little under 10 years. I would caution you that computer science != programming. It is a lot of set theory and learning data structures/algorithms. Be prepared to take a lot of math classes (at least up to Calc 2), and be prepared to use programming languages to solve really hard problems. A really good example of a very hard project that usually cuts a class in half is B-tree implementation, ESPECIALLY B-tree delete.