How do you brew your coffee?

SpaceKangaroo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 29

#1  Edited By SpaceKangaroo

A debate started with some friends recently. 

I shove some coffee granules in the mug, add boiling hot water and hey presto I got me some coffee. However this method is apparently shit (so I'm told), so how do you guys brew your coffee? 
I'm debating with myself whether buying a coffee machine would be worthwhile, I've never looked in to what it is they exactly do. I've only assumed it's a lazy-ass way to make coffee.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By kmdrkul

Lately I've been using the Starbucks instant coffee packets.  I don't have any fancy gizmos.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

Boil water, pour in cup with coffee beans.

Jared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Jared

I first take some whole beans and put them into my Krups grinder. Next I put the beans in my Bodum french press, let it sit for a minute or two, press, then drink.

I highly recommend the Krups grinder to any coffee fan, link below, you can also use it to grind whole spices.

http://www.amazon.com/Krups-203-42-Touch-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B00004SPEU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1275851668&sr=8-1

The Bodum french presse's are excellent, great build quality. I have the 4 cup model and find it to be the perfect size for coffee at work or home.

http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-1928-16US6-Chambord-Coffee-Press/dp/B00005LM0S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1275851382&sr=1-3

If anyone is interested in a flavored whole bean coffee check out the one below, this stuff is great! My Monday coffee is 100% Kona, I'm always tired coming into work Monday and that stuff really kicks you into gear, plus it tastes great.

http://www.amazon.com/Excellence-Jamaican-Flavored-2-Pound-Package/dp/B0033D1YLA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=grocery&qid=1275851484&sr=8-1

masterherocard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By masterherocard

I take the coffee beans, and throw them against the wall, waiting for them to melt into coffee. Then, I drink it all in a single day.

Coincidentally, I have never drank coffee.

Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jrad

Coffee filter + coffee granules + boiling water. Not like the taste really matters, anyway.

Keithcrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Keithcrash

No Caption Provided
I use a French Press.  It's fast, cheap and seems sophisticated.  It makes great coffee too. 
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Tea kicks coffees ass

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Daveyo520
@Keithcrash: I have heard using a French press is the worst thing to do to coffee and it supposedly ruins it.

As for me, I don't drink coffee.
Keithcrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Keithcrash
@Daveyo520 said:
" @Keithcrash: I have heard using a French press is the worst thing to do to coffee and it supposedly ruins it.   As for me, I don't drink coffee. "
Naa.  It makes better coffee that when I use a coffee maker.  I like it much better.
spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By spaceturtle
@Abyssfull said:
" Boil water, pour in cup with coffee beans. "
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Daveyo520
@Keithcrash: Then I guess I won't trust all shows about coffee on the Food Network.
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ninjakiller
@Keithcrash said:
"
No Caption Provided
I use a French Press.  It's fast, cheap and seems sophisticated.  It makes great coffee too.  "
THIS FUCKING SHIT RIGHT HERE....RIGHT HERE! 

@Daveyo520 said:
" @Keithcrash: I have heard using a French press is the worst thing to do to coffee and it supposedly ruins it.   As for me, I don't drink coffee. "
Wrong, French presses make the best coffee.  Peculators are the worst method for making coffee.
MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By MiamiRedHawks

I use a cheap small coffee maker with a filter. It makes the perfect amount to fit in my travel mug for work. I usually drink it black, but sometimes I add some milk.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Daveyo520
@ninjakiller: AH! That's it! I knew it was some machine that made coffee. Thanks for the right answer.
RJay_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#16  Edited By RJay_64

with love

actionTACO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By actionTACO

Anyone that doesn't say French Press is an uncultured rube. hth

Swaboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Swaboo
@Fagballs said:
" A debate started with some friends recently.   I shove some coffee granules in the mug, add boiling hot water and hey presto I got me some coffee. However this method is apparently shit (so I'm told), so how do you guys brew your coffee?  I'm debating with myself whether buying a coffee machine would be worthwhile, I've never looked in to what it is they exactly do. I've only assumed it's a lazy-ass way to make coffee. "
If you are using instant coffee that is fine. But you can't brew grinded coffee that way, come on!  

I used to make coffee with drip coffee maker but after watching this video on Tested.com I've been using an aeropress. Works great!
Swaboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Swaboo

Ohhh I see what you did there...... u started a topic about coffee to get thet   Coffee Talk quest.

SpaceKangaroo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SpaceKangaroo
@Keithcrash said:
"
No Caption Provided
I use a French Press.  It's fast, cheap and seems sophisticated.  It makes great coffee too.  "
Aite, after the amount of posts about this thing - I'm in!

@Swaboo:  after I made the thread and it popped up, I thought it was due to making a thread about coffee. Though just a coincidence ;p
Matt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Matt_

I use a Keurig K-Cup system. Quick, exact, and very easy clean up. Plus since the coffee comes in little cups, it stays fresher longer so you can have lots of various types around without having to worry they will go bad.

Avatar image for organicalistic_
Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Organicalistic_
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" Tea kicks coffees ass "
that it does, what kind do you prefer?
habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By habster3

I like hot coffee (I'm so sorry, but it had to be said)

McSmunions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By McSmunions

"one small regular" 

but seriously  
@Matt_ said:

" I use a Keurig K-Cup system. Quick, exact, and very easy clean up. Plus since the coffee comes in little cups, it stays fresher longer so you can have lots of various types around without having to worry they will go bad. "
 this thing is awesome.
Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Organicalistic_
@Matt_ said:
" I use a Keurig K-Cup system. Quick, exact, and very easy clean up. Plus since the coffee comes in little cups, it stays fresher longer so you can have lots of various types around without having to worry they will go bad. "
yes, but those waste foil, and plastic
demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By demontium

tell the future with coffe.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By Red

With invisible, tasteless, magical powder. 

(I'm saying that I don't drink coffee)

fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By fini_fly
@habster3 said:
" I like hot coffee (I'm so sorry, but it had to be said) "
I like my Coffee Crisp  (I'm slightly more sorry, as this had to be said) 

Coffee is brewed in a coffee maker, or in a french press. Instant coffee should only be used in emergencies.
Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Organicalistic_
C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By C2C

I use a percolator for my coffee (which is really ground coffee+ filter with boiling water) 

If could get something fancier I really would, I just don't have the money to spend :/ 

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By gunslingerNZ

I would point you to tested.com where they've done several coffee features:

Aeropress coffee    
Chemex coffee

My suggestion to you though would be to use a French Press (also known as a coffee plunger) for convenience sake but it is paramount that you GRIND YOUR OWN BEANS!! I cannot stress that point enough. Brewing technique is quite important yes, but nothing affects the final product more than quality beans which are freshly ground.

I make most of my coffee in a french press which gives really good results. I do have an espresso machine as well which makes a stunning cup of coffee but takes a bit too much time in the morning so it's more of an evening thing. It's really good for making Irish coffees and other dessert coffees.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By c1337us

As a part of my job I am required to run a cafe. We used a large espresso machine to do shots from our own blend of coffee pretty much like what you would order from a Starbucks or Gloria Jeans etc. I am not much of a coffee drinker myself but since I have been in this job for a number of years I have grown accustomed to this style as I feel it is way better then percolated and obviously better then trashy instant stuff. I have since bought a mini sized espresso maker for my house so on the odd occasion I have a coffee this is the way I make it.

SumDeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By SumDeus

My mom makes the coffee. Then I drink it.

kelbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By kelbear

I use a conical burr grinder and a stainless steel insulated french press.

The major points for improving coffee
1) Buy whole bean and grind before brewing. Oxidation is very rapid after it's ground and the coffee will lose flavor very quickly. Approx 20 min. of open air exposure will make it significantly worse. That's why they have the fancy packaging for coffee in bean and grind form so that you can push air out, and the thick material helps keep out light and air.

2) Even brewing keeps the coffee smooth. Coffee releases coffee oils first, followed by all the bitterness. So if some grains are huge and others are tiny, then you don't get all the flavor out of the big grains, and overextract from the tiny grains and end up with bitterness. That's why blade grinders, while cheap, don't produce the best flavor. Just save up and get the cheapest conical burr grinder you can find(think about how much coffee you'll drink over years to come). French Press coffee need coarse grinds which can only be done with burr grinders.

3) French Pressing keeps the coffee in the water long enough to get all the flavor out. Just don't overdo it and turn it bitter, every flavor of starbucks coffee is the same "burnt" flavor because they oversteep everything. French Pressing is simple and doesn't need filters. They're pretty cheap too (I just like the insulated kind because the glass can lose some heat and I like my coffee hot). To clean them out, lay a paper towel over the sink hole, fill the press with water up to the level of the coffee grounds, shake it once and pour. The shaking unsettles the grounds into a  "slurry" which leaves the press in one pour. If you overfill then you end up pouring all water and no coffee grounds, and digging that stuff out with a spoon will take forever. After pouring you just fold up the paper towel and toss it in the trash. (You don't want to clog the drain with coffee grounds, even sinks with disposals can't really handle that kind of mud)

4) Add a dash of salt(Just like 1 or 2 shakes from the salt shaker is needed for your mug). If you have any bitterness from oversteeping, salt will neutralize the bitterness. Don't worry, you don't need much, and it doesn't make the coffee "salty" it just becomes really smooth. This also helps reduce the amount of milk you'd want to add, allowing for a more powerful coffee taste. Even regular black coffee with no sugar, no milk tastes better with a little salt.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By FunExplosions

Coffee maker with filter. Drink it black. Mainly drink it for the feeling it gives me, not for the taste. That french press looks really promising, though. May need to buy one when I move.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By triple07

Coffee press is the way to go. Although recently because of Tested I started using the Aeropress. Also your method is just terrible. I can't imagine drinking that coffee. Then again I have become a coffee snob.

SpaceKangaroo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SpaceKangaroo

Oh that Aeropress does look nifty, cheap too mmm.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@organicalistic_ said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
that it does, what kind do you prefer? "
The kind my... mommy does ?
AllenV86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AllenV86
limpbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By limpbishop

I warm up the water to 90-92 degrees (c) - then i pour it into a "Madam Blå" - on top of some freshly ground coffee - tastes LOVELY....

Oh yeah, for those that does not know what a Madam Blå is:

No Caption Provided
ElegantRuby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ElegantRuby

Boring American Drip Style...

SpaceKangaroo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SpaceKangaroo

Aite, Aeropress - ORDERED :D

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By AlwaysAngry
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
No no, tea gets fucked in the butt by coffee until its colon ruptures. 

Also...a coffee maker...I never heard of any other way :/ 

AND! I like your Zero Punctuation related username.
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jkz

I use a Moka pot. Have about 2-3 shots worth of espresso each morning (get mine shipped from Blue Bottle Coffee out here to Baltimore, because they have some amazing blends). I grind it fresh each morning. 

It really is some of the best coffee/espresso you can get without paying for ridiculously expensive machines. Has a much richer (less watery) taste than the French Press, although people who don't drink much coffee tend to think it's too strong.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Gizmo
@Keithcrash: 

I can vouch for the 'French Press' method. I think it's a really efficient method for making the perfect cup of coffee.
Esten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Esten

Example: 6 cups of coffee.

- Fill 6 cups of hot water, and boil it in a mug.
- Wait till the water is boiling, then add 6 or 7 spoons of coffee powder/beans.
- Move the mug so that it is barley touching the boiling-plate.
- Wait for the coffee powder/beans to liquify with the hot water (no stiring).  

I tried to explain as well as I could.