How do you come up with a superhero name that won't get you sued?

manicraider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Whenever I come up with a superhero name, it's either taken by another superhero, or used for a video game character, or the name of a band, or a company. It's not easy coming up with names that have never been used before (that also sound good).

mach_go_go_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Manspider.

mekon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's lots of synonyms in old English words - might be a start if you add more words or extend them to add a descriptive part. Depends whether you want the character to be humorous to some extent- Batman could be at one end of the spectrum as a character and Deadpool on the other. My favourite (who isn't a superhero, but it's close) is still 'Lord Flashheart' from Black Adder: "It's me, Flash! Flash by name, Flash by nature. Hurrah!"

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

How about Superman?

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Giraffe.

Ennui Girl.

Nonagenarian.

Pantaloon.

Cardio-Man.

Bearhugger.

The Yoganator.

Professor Poop.

Those are freebies.

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Just use the same name? I mean DC and Marvel both have several characters with the same/similar names (Captain Marvel, Dr. Strange and so on) so why not?

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By FateOfNever

Tons of Superhero names are still up for grabs considering the sheer volume of hero names in My Hero Academia/Vigilantes and One Punch Man alone, not to mention all the other anime, cartoons, comics, etc. that are still being released on a regular basis.

Some things to recommend is looking for synonyms of other words. Use blatant obvious word combinations to describe what the hero does, or just look outside the box.

Also remember Super Hero names can come from a number of sources. Some heroes name themselves, some get named by the media, some get named by friends/acquaintances. Thinking about what a hero may want to call themselves can give you a different perspective. Maybe a hero names himself because of what he or she wants to stand for, not what their powers are, or for what they believe in, maybe what they hope to inspire in others.

I could probably go even deeper and more elaborate on these points, but if you've never read/watched My Hero Academia or One Punch Man I recommend it because looking at their naming conventions can give you a lot of insight on super hero names I think. But if anime's not your jam, I get it.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

You can use Nova Falcon. Was an Energy/Energy Blaster I played in city of heroes.

Alias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

You could reference famous people from history

For example Tycho Brahe from Penny Arcade

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

What if instead of man you just said dude?

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

All super hero names are dumb, and we've only come to accept them through decades of cultural osmoses. Batman, Human Torch, Sandman, Sider-man, Blue Beetle, Captain Marvel; all of these names are stupid on their own, but we're used to them. Pick a name that doesn't have an immediate google hit and roll with it.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rejizzle: I know it's a typo but I wish Sider-man existed.