How do you control your depression?

• 139 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By Tireyo

I'm one very stressed man, and I'm just wondering how you all control your depression. Might give me more ideas on how to block out some of my own thoughts.

I'm sure you all know my situation with life, so there is no since of repeating myself over again.

Usually to control my depression:

1. I play video games
  2. I watch a movie or program
  3. I listen to music real loudly until the bad thoughts are out of my head
  4. I pet and play with my 2 dogs
  5. I avoid everyone around me
  6. I talk to someone I do not know (not always a good idea)

EDIT: All I asked is a simple question. I am not asking for help or any suggestions, which means this just a thread directed toward you all. All I'm merely doing is getting information.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

It's no longer depression for me, thankfully, just.. feeling like an energy-less husk and wanting to cower in a bubble and re-charge every now and then. Apparently I'm an introvert. I do that by moving the PC to my bed on my days off-work, shutting the blinds and playing games all day long in the warmth and love of my bed. 

Games man, games. From the actiony fun of this to the thrilling or dramatic experience of that, it's the best cure.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By handlas

masturbate

RubberFactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RubberFactory

Running always clears my head.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Pills... So many pills.

Also find something constructive and productive to sink yourself into, get so absorbed with it that it blocks out everything else.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Chop

Cleaning while listening to music is what always clears my head. I don't consider it depressing shattering or anything, just managing anxiety.

Really, anything that keeps me from thinking too much. Anything quiet (reading, most games) just makes shit worse for me.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King

You're assuming that I have depression, or that if I do have it, I can control it.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Tireyo

@Chop said:

Cleaning while listening to music is what always clears my head. I don't consider it depressing shattering or anything, just managing anxiety.

Really, anything that keeps me from thinking too much. Anything quiet (reading, most games) just makes shit worse for me.

That's quite strange to me. Anything quiet gets me to thinking more, and loudness helps. I wonder if there is a medical term for that. =-P

Kaineda77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Kaineda77

@GunslingerPanda said:

Also find something constructive and productive to sink yourself into, get so absorbed with it that it blocks out everything else.

This, also, I sometimes like embracing sadness by listening to melancholic songs, e.g. http://vimeo.com/15818243

Philantrophy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Philantrophy

Thinking to myself that overthinking does not help. If I regret something I tell myself that regretting is a false hope of changing the past, and if I am stressed out because something in the future I relax and tell myself that it does not help to stress out.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

Exercise and creating something/making something, or doing something productive or ambitious. That usually gets me out of any depression I'm in. Self-worth is the most valuable,  after all. 

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Pretty much everything you put in the first post, except that I'd advise against keeping pets. Especially the long lived ones, because you'll almost assuredly get very attached and then outlive them, and if you weren't a wreck before you will be when they go. I make it a point to never read or watch the world news unless it's something big, because that's what brought a large part of my depression on in the first place.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By AngelN7

I'll like to give you an advice but I've never felt depressed , I've felt like crap or down sometimes when that happens I try to laugh and have fun, find a good show to laugh or talk to friend you know is gonna make you smile.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Tireyo

@Make_Me_Mad said:

Pretty much everything you put in the first post, except that I'd advise against keeping pets. Especially the long lived ones, because you'll almost assuredly get very attached and then outlive them, and if you weren't a wreck before you will be when they go. I make it a point to never read or watch the world news unless it's something big, because that's what brought a large part of my depression on in the first place.

I'm used to having pets, so I know how it is. I lost my childhood pet last year, and that was hard. Thing is though, there is always an animal in need of some love. My 2 dogs are very lucky to have someone to take care of them, so there are no regrets.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By stryker1121

@Bobby_The_Great said:

Exercise and creating something/making something, or doing something productive or ambitious. That usually gets me out of any depression I'm in. Self-worth is the most valuable, after all.

This is good advice, OP. Sounds like you're the type of person that lives in his head. Not judging, I'm the same way, and I can tell you from experience that there's no percentage in going thru life this way. Exercise, writing, creating something, that's all good. Being around friends is a boost, too. Even just seeing a movie, or if you have gamer friends, invite em over for some couch co-op.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By DeF

I buy shit even though I don't have time to consume it. (TV show box sets, albums, games).

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Simplexity

I have no idea how you could ever possibly control depression outside of medication or something.

Having known someone who ended their own life due to depression I know just how powerful the human mind is, and if you let it then it will destroy you.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Sooty

Between this and the STD thread I feel I've entered down a very dark alley on this website...

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By dagas

My advice would be to not ask for help on a video game forum if you truly have a depression.

I had a depression for years and no therapist helped. Then I met someone who wasn't interested in hearing about my problems, but rather about what I wanted to do. It took awhile but I finally learned to look at the future and stop feeling bad for all the things I can't change. I mean I'm still not what I'd call happy, but I no longer feel like it's the end of the world as soon as something bad happens and I don't just sit around feeling sorry for myself all day.

I don't know if there is a recipe that fits everyone though, but for me it was the focus on what I could do rather than what I could not that did it.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By toowalrus

I'd recommend that you not take medication- I've never dealt with crippling depression myself, bit after my dad died, my mom was on the stuff for several months, and when you finally go off it, the emotion hits you all at once and you end up a wreck for awhile, so try your best to avoid it. Personally, whenever I'm feeling down for no good reason, I usually realize that I've got no excuse to be depressed, and find something constructive to do. If there's nobody there to spend time with at the moment, I'll start cleaning my room and bathroom, go for a run, or (probably a bad habit) buy shit. Personally, I like to mix cocktails or cook weird shit that I've never made before, so I sometimes find myself buying loads of stupid shit to accommodate that (but it is hella fun).

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#22  Edited By wefwefasdf

Exercising is super important in maintaining a healthy attitude. I would never say I've been depressed because that takes away the power of the word for those that are actually clinically depressed. I've gone through a rough patch and the act of trying to be relentlessly positive and getting back into shape made hard times much easier to handle.

Mageman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By matthias2437

Not be depressed? But if I happen to be feeling low I normally go running. Good way to clear my head.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By cookiemonster

Do some exercise and you could try changing your diet.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By zeforgotten

I live my life as I normally would then it kinda goes away, sure it'll probably return again and again and again but that's no reason for me to stop living my life and just sit down and do nothing

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Carlos1408

Control your thoughts, don't let them control you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I write funny, dark and twisted stories.

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Try picking things up with your ass, always takes my mind off of things.

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Aurelito

I take pills (besides the ones I take for my bipolarity).

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mandude
@Sooty said:

Between this and the STD thread I feel I've entered down a very dark alley on this website...

Giantbomb: the Gritty Reboot.
Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Scrawnto

I don't suffer from clinical depression. I've only ever been down for about two days at the longest, and only three or four times in my life, so I'm not exactly an expert on these things. I never even went through a period of teen angst or rebellion. But, what usually brings me out of a funk is watching a good movie with friends, preferably not friends who are with their girlfriends/boyfriends, since that would just remind me of how terribly lonely I am.

My mom has suffered from clinical depression since she was a teenager, something I only learned fairly recently, and things have been very hard on her since my stepfather died. She also lost her job a while back and was off her medication for a while. Things got pretty dark. From what she says, it can take a few weeks or even months for medication to really bring you to something resembling balance.

SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SSValis

I go to sleep

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#34  Edited By cosi83

Exercise is the best option, then drinking, then crack

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ShockD

Never really been into one.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ShadowConqueror

KILL. KILL. KILL.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Christoffer

I just want to talk to people, lots of people as often as possible, and about everything except the thing that is bothering me. Taking in the rest of the world often opens up my mind and I realize I'm not the only one in the world.

Depression is the most egocentric feeling of all.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CaptainCody

@Tireyo643: Go out into the music scene. Go to a show of a band that's your style and just enjoy the noise and the social aspect of it all. Maybe even meet new people. You said you had a case of the ugs though, right? Unless you look like you got hit by a care then I wouldn't worry about it if bitches still be a problem.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DukesT3

So far I've just been drinking a lot lately. Usually buying a liter of cheap vodka every other day or so. Not good, I know.

ApeGantz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ApeGantz

I fuck b*****'*

Nah. I normally talk to my bros and we don't even talk about the issues much. I just present them, they gave me light advice, make fun of the situation and we play games for a few hours. Makes me see things in a non-emotional state. I later just brush it off and go about my life :)

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stop posting this kind of stuff on a forum and take control of it.

Crocio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Crocio

Suicide

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By crusader8463

I wish I knew. I just keep going day after day doing what I can to try and find a little bit of enjoyment where I can, but as time goes by the things that used to give me joy keep getting smaller and smaller to the point where not much of anything can spark any kind of joy out of me. I was starting to get a little bit better, but losing my job and going back to being unemployed with no hope for the future again kind of puts a damper on that kind of thing.

I know for most people it's just a matter of focusing on something they love and investing themselves into it, but I can't even find things that I love any more. All the hobbies I have had my entire life just keep getting less and less enjoyable as time goes by. It's at the point for me now where games are the only hobby I still can find some enjoyment out of, but given the current trend in gaming that seems to focus exclusively on game design/genres that I have no interest in even enjoyment in that hobby is far and few in between these days.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#44  Edited By Black_Rose

You assume that I can control it. However, watching a comedy movie does distract me for a while.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#45  Edited By Brendan

@RubberFactory said:

Running always clears my head.

I immediately got a mental image of Michael Fassbender in Shame. Is that you? I hope it's you.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TheHumanDove

@Tireyo643 said:

I'm one very stressed man, and I'm just wondering how you all control your depression. Might give me more ideas on how to block out some of my own thoughts.

I'm sure you all know my situation with life, so there is no since of repeating myself over again.

Usually to control my depression:

1. I play video games
  2. I watch a movie or program
  3. I listen to music real loudly until the bad thoughts are out of my head
  4. I pet and play with my 2 dogs
  5. I avoid everyone around me
  6. I talk to someone I do not know (not always a good idea)

Sounds like you're not controlling your depression at all. Seem to be a slave of it, actually.

SomeScrub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SomeScrub

Drugs

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48  Edited By Bwast

You want to know what I did? Try to stay with me here, it's a crazy idea. I called a professional. Bet you never thought of that one, did you? Guess what? It helped. So get the wool out of your head and pick up the phone. They are there waiting for people to call them. Their job is to help you. They want to help you. All you have to do is call. 1 phone call. You can do that, can't you? If you're too stubborn or stupid to realize this and help yourself, how can you expect other people to help you?

JammyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By JammyJesus

I went to the doctors, took drugs and had counselling.

Don't wallow, it feels great but won't get you anywhere.

Also don't ask on a video game forum.

Avatar image for ghost_of_perdition
Ghost_of_Perdition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Set a massive pyre and watch it as it lights up the night sky in a crimson haze.

Or exercising. That's good too.