How do you feel about Adventure Time?

• 66 results
poisonjam7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 27

I've been watching the show since it started and generally considered myself a fan. However, recently I feel like the show is going in a direction I'm not happy with. After Finn's voice changed, it seems like the show has adopted a much darker tone. A lot of the newer episode are often thematically strange, dark, or just plain weird - but not in a good way. It seems like less and less are about actual Adventure like they used to be. Some episodes don't even have Finn or Jake in them.

Anyways, how do you guys feel about the show both past and present?

Sto_Ln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I saw 2 episodes and found it too dumb to continue watching. I miss the shows like GI Joe and the old school Ninja Turtles... They just don't make them like they used to.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FrostyRyan

@sto_ln said:

I saw 2 episodes and found it too dumb to continue watching. I miss the shows like GI Joe and the old school Ninja Turtles... They just don't make them like they used to.

Yeah because Adventure Time's lore, attention to detail, and character development are a lot dumber than the old Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles which was made to profit off the comics?.....

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

The show was always a little dark if one paid attention. Heck, it wasn't even subtle at times. I enjoy it more now than I did at the beginning since they've layered so much lore into the series.

alexpiercey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Dark and adult themes have been found in Adventure Time for a long time now. "What Was Missing" was in the third season, four years ago. I can understand your disappointment in the lack of adventures, but at this point I don't think that's not what the show is about any more. Honestly, I'm not sure how I'd describe what the show even is about at this point, but I will say that I've really been enjoying it.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

I liked the show when it came out and thought it was neat in its own way. After awhile I've kinda fallen off with the whole cartoon network shows. Since Hulu Plus started carrying more cn stuff than Netflix I started binging on Steven Universe which has kinda renewed my faith on those shows. I've been thinking of re-watching the seasons of Adventure Time I missed out on but at the moment there's just too much other stuff I'd probably rather watch like Steven.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Zeik

I wasn't that into it at first. It seemed a bit too childish and just weird for the sake of being weird. But about halfway through the first season it started to find it's footing and actually flesh the characters and world out in a meaningful way I got more into it. (I still think I like Regular Show better, but not by as much as I used to.) I don't watch it on a weekly basis, so I don't know anything that's been going on with it recently, but what I've seen I'd place among my favorite cartoons. Marceline is an awesome character.

@sto_ln Ninja Turtles was one of my favorite cartoons growing up, but it does not hold up very well as an adult. It's unapologetically for kids, which is fine, but there have been plenty of cartoons that have held up much better by actually having some depth to their stories or humor.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The most I know about it is the fact that I know no children that watch it, but see people wearing shirts of it at uni all the time. Have a few friends that enjoy it as well.

Just what is the target demo for this show?

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

It's fine as a show but I just can't stand the artstyle. Watched a few episodes and that's all for me. It's one of those shows I'm happy exists but yeah, not for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally do not like it at all. I don't think it's that entertaining, I don't much care for the characters, and it seems like they just get in wacky situations for no reason. After seeing people rave about it I was strongly disappointed.

Regular Show however, I think is amazing. It's weird on it's own, but there is always some message hidden in the weirdness. Regular Show is the only modern day cartoon that kinda feels like the good cartoons of my youth.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Zeik

The most I know about it is the fact that I know no children that watch it, but see people wearing shirts of it at uni all the time. Have a few friends that enjoy it as well.

Just what is the target demo for this show?

I would assume the primary target audience is somewhere around 10-15? But there's plenty about the show that is clearly targetted at older audiences, from certain elements of the humor to aspects of storytelling and references that I can't imagine someone of that age can appreciate. But that's usually the case with the best cartoons.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

How do I feel about Adventure Time?

Loading Video...

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like it. I've only seen the first few seasons but I think it's one of the highest quality cartoons ever made. The characters are unique, the jokes are good, the animation style is fun and I like how the show doesn't treat the viewer like a child even though it is a kid's show. I'm a big fan of surreal humour so this show does it for me. I wish it was around when I was a kid though, I can see myself getting way into it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's great.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

I gave it a try and watched a couple of what are supposed to be "fan favourite" episodes. Didn't really get anything out of it, it's not my thing.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By penguindust

I am a big fan and I've recently started re-watching it from the beginning on Hulu. Over the last year or so, I back-burnered it and have fallen far behind. I'm not even sure how Finn lost his arm. News of a voice change is, indeed, news to me. The series has been dark since we learned that the land of Ooo was a post apocalyptic world once consumed by nuclear fire. What makes this series special, or has to my knowledge, is how it takes difficult subject matter and makes it approachable to all ages. I think it's telling a interesting story and I hope it eventually has a final ending...unlike Samurai Jack.

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By IamTerics

I kind of think it was the beginning of pretty cool kids shows or at least when I started noticing them. Though I stopped watching ages ago. Some of the stuff I can see being a huge turn off though(the one where the guy was picking up stuff with his buttcheeks). I still found it funny in a this is kind of not for kids kind of way(they managed the work the word procreate in a kids show). Most of what I've seen are the early stuff. I have no idea what dark stuff you guys are talking about.

While were on the topic of cartoons, I think Steven Universe is fantastic and does the being funny, smart, and out of the ordinary thing better than the most shows. It also remains a kids show throughout which I can't say for Regular Show or Adventure Time.

qrdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The show is at its best when it's dark. My favourite episodes are the ones that suggest deep existential anguish that some people on the team are going through. My belief is that Pendelton Ward has enough clout right now to be able to surround himself with likeminded people and I hope these themes are going to get even more important. The best episode of this strand was quite some time ago though. "Puhoy" from season 5. As an occasional user of hallucinogenic and dissociative drugs I must say that that story hit really close to home.

To be honest, even mentioning Regular Show in a discussion about Adventure Time seems like an insult. That show is an intellectual desert. It pretends to have something to say but in reality is a result of an algorithm for creating quirky shows for college kids. The very first creation of a pre-alpha version of such an algorithm.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@qrdl: He's not the showrunner anymore.

qrdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sergio: Oh, that's a pity. He's still writing for the show though, so not all is lost. It's strange that nobody mentioned it on the board I get all my comedy news from.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BradBrains

seems like a good kids show. not for me

and to what was said in this thread I kinda like regular show. especially the romantic focused episodes.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

It's simply divine. For the kiddies its rapid-fire silliness and non sequitur humor is enough to keep their A.D.D-addled brains engaged. For us older erudite sophisticates, we can enjoy the show for its references to the occult, drug-use and gay rights. The fact that such an openly subversive thing can exist on children's television is truly a testament to our wonderfully depraved modern culture.

Sto_Ln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frostyryan: I have to say that it is. I'm not much on their lore as I just enjoyed the show. My little cousin came over and we watched all the new type cartoons and by far the worst was Grandpa with a fanny pack... People like it and that's fine but not for me. I just wish that better anime would come out. People liked Titan but that show is just so full of teenage angst with no hope and it took a WEIRD turn in the manga and not sure I even want to follow it to this point.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sto_ln: It sounds like you need to give more things a chance because I don't know where you're coming from at all. There's plenty of fantastic anime.

I'm also confused as to why you're talking about anime now

Moonshadow101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Moonshadow101

It's fantastic. Adventure Time prompted me to go back and re-watch some of the stuff I used to watch as a kid, and really made me appreciate how much of that stuff was utter garbage.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its a cute show. That Stephen Universe is cool too. (ive been exposed to these shows by my girlfriend.)

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

Adventure Time is the Radiohead of cartoons. You may like it but it's completely overrated.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

People tell me I'd like Adventure Time. Whenever people talk about the crazy dark shit that's just beyond the edge of the show I feel like I should watch it. The few times I have seen an episode though it was just dumb random bullshit that made like no sense. I watched this one episode where they went to space (I think?) and became "Lumpy" and my friends seemed to find it really funny but I didn't laugh at any of the jokes they liked.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Adventure Time is the Radiohead of cartoons. You may like it but it's completely overrated.

I hate this. On the internet, everything is either underrated or overrated. Nothing can just sit comfortably content.

Not only that, but calling something overrated is more a stab at the fanbase of the content than the content itself. It's saying "these people shouldn't like it this much." Overrated is an awful word.

poisonjam7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By poisonjam7

@penguindust: well, the actor didn't change he just went through puberty. So his voice isn't squeaky anymore.

I also didn't know Ward wasn't in charge anymore. I wonder if that contributes to my perceived increase in darker themed episodes.

You guys should check out Clarence too. I really like it. I've tried to watch Steven Universe, but I can't get into it. I've also recently started enjoying The Amazing World of Gumball too. I don't know why, but Adventure Time reminds me of Katamari Damacy.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

@frostyryan: Sure, I'm being a little too hyperbolic and glib but that show is everywhere and the fans swear by it. I do want to be clear though, I'm not saying the show is bad or that those who like it shouldn't. I'm saying when you talk about a show with so much fervor it builds it up. Personally love shows like Community and when I suggest a friend watches it I do my best not to over sell it and to let the show convince them or not.

I do agree with your point though. The internet either really hates or really loves something, there's no in between.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I watch it whenever they bring a new season to Netflix (I don't watch TV), and I think it's a fun and funny show.

I've been wondering when Finn's voice would change if only because it seems like whoever does that voice is/was going through a time when his voice is changing and that won't last forever so it will be interesting to see when the voice actually does change.

But ya, what I have seen of it I think the show is very funny and fun to watch.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched half a season and do not get it. Same thing with Spongebob - I thought it was a dumb show for kids, but apparently all the people I graduated with were hella into it. I just don't see the appeal. One thing I'll say about it is it's genuine. There's not a lot of written humor; all the laughs come from the natural progression of the characters being true to themselves. That's somewhat appealing, but I just don't get why people having the same kind of feelings for it as I do for Futurama. Futurama had dead dogs and loving brothers, not talking clouds and magic princesses. Eh.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@poisonjam7: unlike you I find the episode without Finn and jake great. The Simon and marcy episodes are fantastic. My girlfriend and I are going through season 5 and so far it's the best season yet

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That show was real good for a while and now I find it hard to care about it. I don't know when that happened for me. Probably around the 3rd season.

carpe_dmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's well written, it knows its' audience and gives their intellect credit where other cartoon shows patronize and speak down to them. The way it interweaves simple morality plays and a cartoonish world with modern sensibilities and the most complex lore, plot, and character development this side of Gargoyles makes me deliriously excited about the future of children's television. I can't stress enough how important it is that Adventure Time grants kids a modicum of respect. This show is brilliant. It gives me hope for the youth of today, and I don't think a more ringing endorsement is possible.

mason20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frostyryan: Hey, people may not feel the same enthusiasm as you do and that is great on both ends. You love the show and other have expressed differing opinions. Yeah, claiming something is overrated is a bit of a cop out but at the same time. The amount of people that claimed that this was one of the "best shows" lately and feeling absolutely nothing from it but boredom, I'd say, if said person thought it was overrated, that does not invalidate that persons opinion.

That being said, I've had at least half a dozen people "claim" that this would be my favourite show and all I could ever muster was an unenthusiastic sigh. I agree with others in some older cartoons did more regardless, if it was to "sell more toys". But, that also completely invalidates and insults the fanbase as much, and I'd argue, if not more then some people claiming it's "overrated". Saying it's to sell toys which, sometimes is true but if done properly can be far better than random strange idea of the week with seemingly no interesting narrative. This is all being said by someone who checked out the show and had to dredge through an entire season of what I thought garbage.

When isn't childrens' entertainment not trying to shill out needless stuff?

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched a handful of episodes. Not for me. Then again, I tend not to go for comedy in general, so a lot of the show's appeal may be floating entirely over my head.

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SubwayD

Enjoyed it at first, but then it went a little too My Little Pony for my tastes. It had the same arc of "I'm watching a kids show, but having a good time? This is crazy!" to "Oh my, these older fans are taking this way too far". Doesn't help that the show creators appear to be playing into it.

Essentially, fan fiction/art ruined it for me. And that's sad.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

To post a perfect example of Adventure Time humor, this is when Ice King was ready to celebrate something so he conjured up a buddy (From season 1)

Loading Video...

Avatar image for anonymous_jesse
Anonymous_Jesse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't mind it but find it troubling morally. Each to their own, but I wouldn't recommend it to kids.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's pretty good, but I haven't kept up with it in awhile. There's some really good lore hidden in the story and plenty of innuendo for the adults to pick up on while also being entertaining for kids. I think my biggest complaint is there's a bit too many pointless episodes for my taste, and I think a lot of it just kinda drags.

I do love how the characters actually fucking age though.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Considering how a big set-piece in my idea for Step Up 7 has a rock golem beat boxing and the protagonists having to dance to avoid the falling boulders-spit, this episode kind of solidified my like of the show...and the Back to the Future reference complete with Biff only helped.

Loading Video...

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Take back what you said about Radiohead.

Take it back Finaldasa.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c295850623f7
deactivated-5c295850623f7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first 4 seasons are infinitely re-watchable for me, but I kind of dropped off half way through season 5. A mixture between too much fleshing out of characters / the world, focus on characters I don't care much for and less emphasis on silly fun. It's still a great show but the things I loved about it in those first seasons aren't there as consistently anymore..

Also fuck the guy above who said Radiohead is overrated.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first few seasons were good, but after a bit it just got a bit to dark for me.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a pretty good, to amazing, animated show. For kids and elders alike.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Ravelle

@frostyryan said:
@finaldasa said:

I hate this. On the internet, everything is either underrated or overrated. Nothing can just sit comfortably content.

Not only that, but calling something overrated is more a stab at the fanbase of the content than the content itself. It's saying "these people shouldn't like it this much." Overrated is an awful word.

Agree completely with this, they're just meaningless buzzwords people use these days. Something can't be overrated or underrated because it's objective, just because you don't like something and the majority does doesn't mean it's overrated. It means you're the odd one out not liking an overall well received and splendid medium/product.

Just say it's not your type of thing and respect what others think instead of spreading your own negativity on to others.

For example, I'm a big Breaking Bad fan and suggested the show to a couple of friends of mine, turned out they're not really liking. They all told me what they didn't like about it and what bothered them, I totally respect their opinions, it was not for them and I won't force them to continue watching. Despite our differences, we could still talk about it and compare our opinions.

When you're just shouting "overrated!" because you don't like it doesn't tell anyone anything, because A the word doesn't mean anything and B you're not explaining why you didn't like it and it automatically shuts down the conversation with a negative tone. The only message that comes over is that you're angry about not liking a thing everyone else is enjoying.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

I saw the original short the guy made ages ago randomly on YouTube and thought it was really neat. I was really surprised when I saw that it got picked up and turned into a full show and thought hey man good for him. Weirdly enough I never got around to actually ever watching the thing so my entire knowledge stems from his early short.