How do you react to Company/Middleware logos while a game loads?

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Poll How do you react to Company/Middleware logos while a game loads? (132 votes)

I've seen this one a million times, IGNORE 51%
I've seen this one a million times, SWEET 9%
This one's new, NOT BOTHERED LOOKING THEM UP 26%
This one's new, GOOGLE WHAT IT DOES 11%
EA Sports, SAY "It's in the game" 22%
EA Games, WHISPER "Challenge everything" 23%
SPEEDTREE 50%

Just got thinking, "who really gives a shit about these?"

Your middleware license probably stipulates that you give credit to it somewhere, but that realestate at the front of the game must come with some price tag, I wonder benefits SpeedTree or FMOD or Bink have seen by getting their logo in front of millions of gamers. Sure, most game devs are probably gamers to some extent, but that cant be the logic behind it...

Any thoughts?

• 
RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

My reaction is "yay, another game that won't let me skip the splash screen". I also hate things that have front credits. They are completely useless.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

We live in an age where loading screens of any kind aren't that big of a deal because I can always take a quick looksie at my phone whenever the game is doing it's thing. So it doesn't bother me much.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cloudymusic

As long as you can button past them I don't mind. It gets a little (just a little) bit annoying when there are 3 or 4 of them and you can't speed them up in any way. But even then...it's not really that big of a deal.

I do agree that I sorta don't see the point in having to put a Scaleform splash screen in the final retail product. I'd like to think that middleware companies have better ways to advertise their existence to developers.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I care only if it's Halcyon.

Loading Video...

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

To be honest, I'm sometimes interested when there are three or more middleware logos in a row. It sort of makes you wonder about how games are really made when so many hands and so many tools needed to be used. There is an interesting through-line behind seeing one middleware being used for a lot of very different games.

For instance, when you see the same physics engine used for a FPS shooter and a weird point and click adventure - that would seemingly not have much physics. I'm never jaded by people efforts or their desire to be recognized for teh work they do - it is nice to be appreciated. I'm less charitable to people who crow about their lousy games, when it is OBVIOUS to an entire industry they didn't really give a damn...lookin' at you Randy Pitchford.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By OMGFather

@cloudymusic said:

As long as you can button past them I don't mind. It gets a little (just a little) bit annoying when there are 3 or 4 of them and you can't speed them up in any way. But even then...it's not really that big of a deal.

Yeah, so long as I push start or something to make them go by faster I don't mind too much. Like Dark Souls 3. Unskippable ones though, damn annoying. Another good thing about PC gaming, you can likely mod out all those long openings.

blueneurosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mentally, this plays:

Loading Video...

They always seem to be vamping for loading time, or maybe just someone somewhere had better contract negotiators.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I'm sure most people don't really care all that much, but the licensing on most middleware and game engines (Unity, Unreal, etc.) have very specific requirements about when, where, and how (min size, spacing, etc.) you have to display their logo. I don't really know how much it benefits those companies to have that info front and center, but I'm sure that at least on some level there is a benefit to them by raising brand awareness even if their tech is used in a bad game.

Ketta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I simply wish we could get away from Bink Video already. Otherwise, I tend to ignore it and skip if possible.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kinda don't even register that they exist most of the time.

But I do sometimes think both "Challenge Everything" and "It's In The Game".

Also SPEEDTREE.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dfc61a98bcce
deactivated-5dfc61a98bcce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I can I go into a game's files and edit the ini or whatever to take them out. :D

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kill myself multiple times.

Keirgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where is the spam the skip button as fast as I can option? Yeah, that one.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I just hate it when they're not skippable. I really give kudos to devs that let you button past them.

Back in the PS2 days I remember seeing this alot.
Back in the PS2 days I remember seeing this alot.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hunkulese

Speedtree isn't paying to get their name at the front of a game. It's part of the contract. Speedtree says you can use our code if you pay us and include us in the credits.

Darknorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Darknorth

I always smile a bit when I see Speedtree. I assume I'd be waiting for a load anyway, so why not give kudos.

Also, Havok means I'm in for a good time.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember back in the day I'd get excited when the Havok logo popped up. Now that I like to dive into game development a bit, I like learning about the different systems that bring a game together.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only care if it's achieved with CryEngine.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A long drawn out sign or yawn followed by sliding deeper into my couch or computer chair while I wait for the fun to start.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I delete them in there folder on PC so it's goes straight to the main menu I love PC gaming.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#22 fisk0  Moderator

Not a fan of the unskippable ones, but I do enjoy reading/watching them at least once, especially when they use open source middleware and often have a line about mailing the publisher a self-addressed envelope with a blank CD to get a copy of the source code (Electronic Arts games often have this).

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By hippie_genocide

I think whoever owns BINK Video is sitting on top of a mountain of cash

RichardQuarisa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I literally think "fuckyoufuckyoufuckyou..." while hammering the facebuttons over and over again - usually to no avail.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#25 fisk0  Moderator

I think whoever owns BINK Video is sitting on top of a mountain of cash

Yup, Bink and FMod have been in pretty much everything for decades at this point.

petethepanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I start to daydream an elaborate soap opera developing between the different logos, advancing the narrative bit by bit every time I launch the game.

doltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I miss hearing "EA Sports... BIG!"

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mandude

I vomit with rage.

mekon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where I can't do the PC trick of editing a config file, I think I use the time to try to remember the last thing I did in a game and which button does what because I jump between games too much. (I did manage to finish a couple in the last couple of months so there's hope yet for my designs on my backlog).

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The games are never loading behind those logos it's always just forced advertising based on contractual agreements. It's always fun to put something a long the lines of -SkipIntro in my launch settings for most games and I never have to watch them again.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hayt

I used to go to the net to see what launch prompt or ini file I need to delete but lately that just replaces it with a black screen so I live with it. MGSV's 10,000 reminders when you sign in was pure hell though. That said whenever I see the Havok logo in a Souls game I laugh because of how shit/amazing the ragdoll is in those games, so its not all bad.

Ryuku_Ryosake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None jokingly I do go "oh shit, they got speed tree in this." Then I play the game and I do critique how the tree look.

The one two punch of the playstation 1 start up sequence and the capcom get me hyped. I mean just look and listen to this thing.

Loading Video...

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I immediately think where on my hard drive are the .bnk files (it's pretty much always Bink) so I can delete or replace them with 0 byte files and never see these things again.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A delete or replacement of those BNK files, or a line modified in an INI and no more middleware videos.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Space space space space enter enter enter escape aw3lv5q3906b [-0awb5