I have to take it soon. Any tips?

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By wefwefasdf

You should get a SAT prep book. They cover a lot of tips for taking advantage of the test. If you already know what to expect going in... it should be easier.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By breadfan

It isn't really hard, but checking out a prep book could help you out some

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Megalon

Just go through one of those prep books and take a few practice tests, you should do fine (assuming you don't want to ace it or something silly like that).

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Pibo47

A prep book or class with help alot. But its really not that hard to begin with.

MadMatr07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By MadMatr07

Yeah it wasn't too bad. You just really have to make sure you get a full nights sleep and some breakfast before you take it if it's a morning thing. Oh and the whole "your entire lives depend on your score" mumbo jumbo is not true. So try and relax when you take it.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By StaticFalconar

The test itself isn't so bad; what is bad is the fact that most colleges are going to based your entire intellect on this test score.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Diamond

It wasn't so bad.  It might have changed from when I took it (over 10 years ago).  I missed over 100 days of school that year and didn't prepare and got a 1250 :X

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Demyx

Its not that bad. Just do some practice tests or get a prep book. I actually took a class and it helped a lot.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Karmum

Like everyone else said, you might want to get a prep book. I guess you didn't take the PSAT beforehand?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By toowalrus

It's no big deal, just uh, make sure you fill in the right questions with the right section of bubbles... I re-took it once because the first time I filled in the English answers into the social studies booklet.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By toowalrus

Oh, and ignore all the history you learned from Metal Gear Solid. It won't help you.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By toowalrus
Shini4444 said:
"I have to take it soon as well.  I'm in a class called SAT Prep. We get a huge prep book and take practice tests. I've talked to people and they said the test wasn't as bad as people like to think. 

There's a social studies section?
"
I was thinking of the ACT, and I guess it was the Reading part, it was like 2 years ago. I though I remember there being a social studies part though...
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'm taking it on the 14th myself, I'll probably do fine on the reading/english and bomb the math sections.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

It really isn't that hard, but there is a section in the english section that might leave you clueless on what to do.  Get a prep book, you really need it.
The english section in particular is something you have to just learn beforehand by these books (aside from reading).  The proper english part (forgot exactly how it was setup) threw me off guard.  I didn't understand what they were asking for.

As far as math, you only need to know up to Geometry.  I don't think you even have to know sin/cos/tan and definitely not secant, etc.   You can apply this though to make some easier.

---> Make sure you remember the rules for a 30,60,90 and a 45,45,90 triangle.  They love to ask these
They also have something where they make up a symbol.  Forgot what it exactly is.  Not hard at all, but you really want to see this beforehand.

The SATs I've taken are pretty much all the same, they just change numbers, order, and whatnot.

* in case you don't know, you can take the SAT any number of times.  You don't have a limit.  The colleges will only see the one you want.
And if you still can, maybe it'd be a good idea to take the PSAT (which is the Nasqt or something like that)

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hexpane

It's easier now than it ever has been, they upped the base score in the early 1990s to compensate for horrible public school funding and kids not being educated properly.  Bonus points for signing your name!  The downside to the easier scoring is now everyone is getting high scores and rich kids can simply take the test 100X and pick the best score since they can afford it. 

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By AndrewGaspar

Don't worry too much about trig for the math section. Only worry about trig if you're taking the ACT. In the reading sections, focus hard on what you're reading, and read it fast. Vocab is definitely the hardest part. I really have no recommendations here except read a ton. You may want to skim the questions first. Make sure you know all of your grammar rules for the Writing portion.

I got a 2170 on it, so I'm in like the 99th percentile or whatever.

Avatar image for prowlingmongoose
prowlingmongoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By prowlingmongoose

When you take the English portion, it really is just feeling out what sounds best. If you have to COMPLETELY guess (like, zero clue whatsoever) on English guess the shortest one. In the more difficult questions, it is normally the right one. 

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kmdrkul

I got a mid 1800 on it after not studying and playing a 6 hour session of Rome: Total War the previous night.  It wasn't that bad. 

DarthMaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By DarthMaul

Yeah, get the prep book. It helps. A lot.

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By AndrewGaspar
prowlingmongoose said:
"When you take the English portion, it really is just feeling out what sounds best. If you have to COMPLETELY guess (like, zero clue whatsoever) on English guess the shortest one. In the more difficult questions, it is normally the right one. "
This is a poor way of going about the test, but he is right. Many times they'll include extremely wordy answers that only retard kids will choose because they think more words makes it better. The most concise answer is the best answer.

Above all, just know grammar. Not only will it help your test taking, but it will help in your everyday writing, as well.
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Wolverine
Diamond said:
"It wasn't so bad.  It might have changed from when I took it (over 10 years ago).  I missed over 100 days of school that year and didn't prepare and got a 1250 :X"
Why did you miss over 100 days of school?
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Wolverine
kmdrkul said:
"I got a mid 1800 on it after not studying and playing a 6 hour session of Rome: Total War the previous night.  It wasn't that bad.  "
Dude that is awesome. Yeah I know a kid who looked over the material the night before and got a 2380! He is so smart.
xXRAWxHEATxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By xXRAWxHEATxX
Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bulldog19892

I barely even remember taking it. All I know is that I scored reasonably high.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Pibo47
Everyones_A_Critic said:
"

I'm taking it on the 14th myself, I'll probably do fine on the reading/english and bomb the math sections.

"
lol. Exactly what i did.
Avatar image for deactivated-5884be30433ec
deactivated-5884be30433ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SATs? What are they the equivalent of in the UK? GCSEs i am assuming?

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Illmatic

Relax is a seriously major thing to keep in mind. In high school, I've seen so many kids I knew were smart do terrible on it simply because they stressed over the test far too much. Keep a clear mind going in and like many have said, work on the SAT prep book.

JC52236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JC52236

Ehh considering the idiotically lax "you can retake this as many times as you want" scheme the greedy collegeboard has adopted, I'm foreseeing that the SATs won't really carry much weight at all in future admission decisions, especially at first tier schools...

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#30  Edited By wefwefasdf
p4ddym1607 said:
"SATs? What are they the equivalent of in the UK? GCSEs i am assuming?"
It is a pretty stupid test that most colleges require you to take to get in. Many scholarships are based off your score too.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By jakob187

Harder than a dood's dick on the set of Californication!!!