How much do you tip the Pizza Guy?

• 157 results
Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I usually make it even. But normally like 15% sometimes more sometimes a bit less SO If I order stuff for 18€ I will give 20€ to make it even^^

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@greenshoes said:

The pizza place is 200m away from me, i walk.

... That's quite a distance, bro. It takes me three hours just to drive 200 miles.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Really depends on the conditions. Usually I tip around $5, but if it's really shitty out and the whole reason I'm ordering delivery is to avoid driving in some hazardous winter weather or something, then it might get hiked up as high as an extra $10.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Is it cold outside? Are they an old man I feel sorry for?

These are the things that affect my tip.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

$5.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Over 50 posts and no embedded Reservoir Dogs clip.

Good job, guys.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

@crusader8463 said:

Maybe where you live. I know people who do it here and that's not the case at all. The company gives them the car and pays for the gas. No one would do that job if they had to use their own car and pay the gas. They would be working for free.

I've never, ever heard of a pizza place giving a car to the drivers to deliver in. The vast majority of drivers use their own vehicles, pay for their own gas, *and* cover their own car insurance, even when on the job. I was involved in a wreck during a delivery several years ago and tried to get my company to help me out, and they told me to fuck off. Great!

That's crazy and I'm sorry you worked for such shitty places. I know two people who work at two different places and when they get to work they load into the places car and are only allowed to get gas at one particular gas station. They have a deal with that place where when they come in with that car they just put it on the books and send the bill to the manager at the end of every month to pay for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Being British they just give us the pizza and leave my sight before it gets awkward

The is a good reason for this, no one pays for take away with cash these days around these parts and I try not to because I hate doing the whole... 'okay everyone crack open your wallets and divide it out' deal, so we just take turns now on Just-Eat, Papa-Johns, Dominos, Pizza Hut... whatever fucking delivery type deal we do... so they literally just give you your food and leave your door straight away.

mostman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Basically $5 - always. The only exception is for orders of $100+ where the guy is clearly making a single trip to my house only. Then he gets $20.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deadmoscow said:

@crusader8463 said:

Maybe where you live. I know people who do it here and that's not the case at all. The company gives them the car and pays for the gas. No one would do that job if they had to use their own car and pay the gas. They would be working for free.

I've never, ever heard of a pizza place giving a car to the drivers to deliver in. The vast majority of drivers use their own vehicles, pay for their own gas, *and* cover their own car insurance, even when on the job. I was involved in a wreck during a delivery several years ago and tried to get my company to help me out, and they told me to fuck off. Great!

That's crazy and I'm sorry you worked for such shitty places. I know two people who work at two different places and when they get to work they load into the places car and are only allowed to get gas at one particular gas station. They have a deal with that place where when they come in with that car they just put it on the books and send the bill to the manager at the end of every month to pay for it.

I worked pizza delivery for 7 years in New York. I had to use my own car, and paid for my own gas. I also got paid 5 dollars an hour, for all 7 years, never a raise. If you don't know 5 dollars is far below the minimum wage, so all those jerks who say they don't have to tip because I get a salary should shut the hell up because I barely made enough money to survive. If I never got tips I would make 60 dollars a week because they only ever wanted me on primetime during the weekends. I now work a good job and get paid much better, but some of us have to pay our way through college somehow.

I got all sorts of tips, and I was a very reliable driver and well liked, but people who are too lazy to leave their house then give me a 2 dollar tip who own a house in a rich neighborhood (like the one I worked in) should probably just drive to the pizzeria if they don't wanna pay. And no, we don't get to keep the delivery charge.

johnbakosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By johnbakosh

Usually one or two thousand per pizza.

elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

$3

BoatDrinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

$2-$5 about what I got 90% of the time when I delivered. I usually found $1 to be kind of insulting. We had to use our own cars though, and while we did get a $1 per delivery, that rarely covered the cost of gas, plus the fact we only got paid $5 an hour. I was always fine with $2 though. I made decent money while I was delivering, but the toll it took on my car pretty much negated it.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By cloudnineboya

@superkenon: your pizza math seems all wrong to me.EDIT i was so enraged by your logic that i flagged your post by accident opps .

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

30%. The delivery charge is not given to the driver. It's a very dangerous job (25% of their deaths are robberies and assaults) that pays practically nothing when you factor in gas and car maintenance.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#66  Edited By Superkenon
stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It depends on how much the order is, but usually around $3-$5.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It depends how long the sausage is.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

$3 normally. If the weather is bad, then like 4 or 5 bucks.

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

5$

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they drive out to deliver my food so I won't have to venture into the outside world, $5 seems fair to me.

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I treat them like I do waiters I guess, 10-20% of the order depending on how fast.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I am a single guy and my orders are usually not more than $12-$15. I like to give $5. I didn't have to leave the house. So, it is money well spent on a cold night or if I have had a few cocktails.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Always at least $3 on one item. I generally tip $5 unless it's a lot of items. Usually when I order it's only two boxes (pizza and wings). All of the places I order from are less than 2 miles from my house. Tipping well has never hurt me, and makes for a good experience once you develop a reputation for being a good tipper. You should factor a fair tip into the cost of eating out. Having food cooked and delivered to you is a luxury, if you're not willing to pay the costs associated with that luxury then cook your own damn food, imo. People use that "I'm a poor college student" excuse while wasting money on delivery, and all of a sudden they can't afford to tip.

I've never worked for tips, but I just think that people serving me deserve a few bucks. I don't care how much they make or that it's their job, but just as a personal human-to-human interaction. If you're taking the time to do something for me that i'm too lazy to do myself, i'm gonna hook you up. When I'm broke and have to stay in a hotel for business, I carry my own bags to my room. I don't accept the service then say "I'm too broke to pay for that shit!" Same goes for restaurants. If I can't afford a tip, I can't afford to eat at a restaurant. Yeah delivery fees are bullshit, but that's not the driver's fault. I'd rather a pizza place tack $2 onto the price of a pizza and advertise "no delivery fees" if they aren't giving it to the driver. They don't, so I tip.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#75  Edited By Hunter5024

I round up to the nearest dollar and add 1 to 3 dollars on top of that. My pizza is usually only around 15 bucks though.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$2-3

Unilad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Unilad

@cloudnineboya said:

£1

sold!

I only give a tip to the pizza lady....if you know what I mean.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By joshwent

Hot tip for anyone ordering food (in places where you do tip) (from a guy who delivered pizzas on a bike in Philly):

If you decide what you give based on how long the delivery took, you're doing it wrong, and potentially screwing yourself. Ideally, every order would be ready to go immediately to your house. This is usually not the case. Understand that we know that some folks tip based on speed, so we (mostly) all go as fast as possible to try and make the most money and keep hungry people happy, but we screwed anyway. I've had orders that took an hour to get out because: the person on the phone fucked up, the cooks fucked up, the ticket was misplaced, etc. And then when I got to the people's house... and got a $0.10 tip, it was just a big "fuck you" to me for doing nothing wrong myself. And it may be petty spite, but those people didn't get fast deliveries anymore.

Basically, the speed that your food takes to get to you isn't based solely on the effort of the delivery person, it's partially based on your tips. If I'm leaving with 5 orders, 4 of whom I know tip well, and 1 I know doesn't, you can guess who'll be last on my route.

So tipping well (anything at least $3 and up) is good for the worker, and for you.

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Usually buy about 15 to 20ish worth of food and pay with a cool smooth 30 dollar bill.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#80  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@joshwent said:

Basically, the speed that your food takes to get to you isn't based solely on the effort of the delivery person, it's partially based on your tips. If I'm leaving with 5 orders, 4 of whom I know tip well, and 1 I know doesn't, you can guess who'll be last on my route.

So tipping well (anything at least $3 and up) is good for the worker, and for you.

So you refuse to do your job adequately and punish the consumer. Nice.

In all seriousness the person taking my order over the phone tells me how long the wait will be. If it's not busy, a half hour. If it is, 40-50 minutes. It sounds like you should be giving shit to the person handling the phone and not taking it out on the customer.

Thena gain you're in Philadelphia and I suppose you're lucky people pay at all for food there.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

A few bucks usually, even if it was just an $8 pizza. That's if delivery was free, which it usually is from Dominos or whatever.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prioritized helping out the best customers based on their attitudes and their tips. And when someone (who lived in a penthouse apartment) literally gave me 10 cents on a regular basis, I got to their place with equal speed, just after all of the other folks.

And that person telling you that your food will be there in half an hour is usually just making that up. Hopefully, it will be there in that time, but it's just a generalized guess to make people happy.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

@joshwent said:

When it's warranted, I overtip like crazy. I've also been known to tip nothing, and I make sure the person not receiving a tip knows why it's zero percent and not 40%. I'm generally talking about restaurants here, but preferential treatment is a nice benefit of regularly tipping well. Whether we're talking about getting your pizza faster or getting a table at your favorite restaurant on a busy Saturday night does make a difference. I mean, I'd love to think that I'm getting treated so well because I'm a nice guy or they like looking at my girlfriend, but let's be honest, it's because I tip gratuitously. Get it? Gratuitously?

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In a ravenous panic I may just throw the wallet at em before grabbing the pizza and slamming the door.

Avatar image for darkdragonmage99
darkdragonmage99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By darkdragonmage99

I don't If they don't get payed enough they should get a better job

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I usually tip around $5. More if the order is bigger.

Anyway, waiter, waitresses, and delivery drivers seem to almost always be paid less than minimum wage. So yeah, they potentially could be paid more than comparable jobs. More than likely, only a little bit more. Tips are still taxable.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel justified in giving about a dollar as a tip because it requires almost no effort for the pizza guy to deliver to my house. Like it takes less then 5 mins to drive from my house to the pizza place and I live in the suburbs. I'd pick up the pizza myself, but that would require putting clothes on.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By hatking

I try to be generous. He's basically a god here. He makes pizza happen.

Edit: Heartwarming to see most of the crowd here aren't the anti-tip garbage people I see posting misread Reservoir Dogs quotes.

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

15-20%

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Sambambo

Im in the UK so it isnt a presumption, but I usually tip whatever the change is if it isnt a lot.

Paying online has been very useful though, just grunt and walk back inside, rather than the dance of the delivery driver, faking his dismay at finding the right coins when he has the exact £3.62 in a baggy ready to give me when it is clear I am not in the mood to tip.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

15%

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#94  Edited By MetalBaofu

Nothing, but that's because there is no pizza place that will deliver here.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

£0. Pizza's expensive, yo.

mina_mina752

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tips ? am i look like a fucking tourist ?!

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

I don't order delivery, I cook DiGourino.

microshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By microshock

Man, wtf is wrong with all you people tipping these big amounts? Isn't it annoying to want a sort of cheap pizza and then have it not be cheap anymore because you feel obligated to tip them a good chunk of money? And then some of the reasons are like, "I don't want spit in my pizza". That makes no sense! Why would you reward some punk for NOT spitting in your food? That's supposed to be a common expectation!

I give them 2 bucks max, but that's when I don't go out of my way to pick-up the food myself to not be forced into some tipping convention.

jgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greenshoes said:

The pizza place is 200m away from me, i walk.

... That's quite a distance, bro. It takes me three hours just to drive 200 miles.

I bet he's talking about m as in meters not miles. So its about 220 yards.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$10 every time. As long as the good continues to be good, and it shows up on time. Plus I tend usually only order in crappy weather. I don't really order delivery pizza in the summer. I figure they are risking their car to bring me food, they should get a decent tip.