• 72 results
liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By liquiddragon

Netflix announced today they're going to increase their subscription prices later this month (1 screen SD plan and 2 screens HD plan up $1 and 4 screens UHD plan up $2). Like most subscribers, I have the mid-tier 2 screens HD plan so it's going up from $10 to $11 which is still good I think. I haven't joined HBO Now 'cause I think 1 sub for $15 is too much, especially for their limited content, so the sweet spot for me seems to be somewhere close to $10, south of $15.

I think I'll still be ok when Netflix hits $12 but I think $13 will seem like too much, especially 'cause I barely use it.

Has Netflix become too hard to live without? What's your video on demand situation? Amazon, Hulu, and HBO have a lot of catching up to do and it's only going to get uglier with stragglers like CBS All Access coming into the picture.

It seems like the best thing to do is to pick a service each month and jump from place to place just based on the 1 or 2 shows you really want to see.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#2  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

With all the shows they've been dropping lately from networks, I'm seeing less and less of a point with Netflix. Their original programming is okay but none of it is anything I want to rewatch. I've been thinking more and more about quitting them or Hulu, and it's starting to lean heavily towards Netflix's side of things.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Ezekiel

Five dollars. I barely use Netflix anymore. I told my brother that I didn't wanna pay my half anymore. I got a lot more value out of their DVD/BD plan, but had to drop that as well because money is tight.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d5c454eb6aa
deactivated-63d5c454eb6aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This increase is too much for me. I'll stick around for Stranger Things, but then I'll start doing what I do with HBO and paying for a month once a year to catch up on original shows. Their library has gotten progressively worse and I don't wanna subsidize a bunch of shit stand up and Syfy level movies all year. I pay for Hulu so I can watch Bob's Burgers and Seinfeld while I do other stuff.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

They've bumped up their original programming significantly which is great but I miss when they had an endless dungeon of not terrible horror movies.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I mostly just keep my subscription for on-demand access to Always Sunny and 30 Rock. I can't think of a single of their original series that has kept my attention aside from Chef's Table and maybe House of Cards. At least there's a bunch of British detective shows on there. I don't think a dollar or two increase would really affect my desire to unsubscribe, though; if they shot up to 20 bucks a month or something I'd probably consolidate my logins with my girlfriend.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d5c454eb6aa
deactivated-63d5c454eb6aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: 30 Rock just moved to Hulu, or will soon.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@rorie: 30 Rock just moved to Hulu, or will soon.

That's terrible news. Really wish they'd just put out a box set of it.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#9  Edited By fisk0

I just signed up for Netflix last week since they've got the exclusive rights for Star Trek Discovery in my region, and yeah, the HD subscription is already about $14 in Sweden, and I'd have a hard time justifying the subscription if it got more expensive than that, especially since the Swedish Netflix selection is way more limited than what US Netflix users get.

Well, at least we've got Star Trek The Animated Series too, really have been enjoying rewatching that.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By hatking

Netflix's slimming selection of non-original content, their homogenizing original content (how many fucking super hero shows?), and the slow but steadily increasing subscription fee have been getting me closer and closer to cutting off. There's about three things a year on there that I feel like I really want to watch, which I could knock out in a single month pretty easily. Between living next to a public library and Amazon Prime, I'm pretty well covered in the movie department.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Sucks they only have the set on dvd, pretty expensive to buy the whole series digitally.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think it's going to be a problem until more and more networks start doing their own crap like CBS's All-Access. The more networks that split off to do their own proprietary thing, the higher Netflix is going to cost to make up for the lack of content.

The worst case after all of this will be another piracy boom. Netflix out of everything has helped the industry combat piracy the most from what I could tell. It hasn't stopped it, but it was such a good deal to pay a small fee for all these movies and TV shows. The higher it gets, the worst piracy will get again.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just cancelled four days ago. Partly because it's basketball season and I just subscribed to Sling to get Fox Sports Detroit and TNT. And partly because they managed to drop all my favorite shows with Psych, X-Files and now 30 Rock.

I'll subscribe again for a month when the second season of MST3K drops.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Relkin

I think they're getting close to my cut-off point. Not sure what the exact dollar amount is going to be, but I'll know it when I see it.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a non Us resident, the only choice for on demand streaming is Netflix or amazon. I find Amazon's original shows quite poor and their store mix of things included and not with a subscription is a major pain. I don't watch broadcast TV anymore.

As such, I expect I'll be sticking with Netflix for quite some time. It's £7.99 here and I could easily see myself paying as much as £10 assuming it keeps up quality original shows and a large library of licensed things.

My only really criticism is that I really wish you would get a 30 day warning for shows that are being removed. The opposite of the new on Netflix section, basically.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

It all depends on if they pump out more value for the increased cost. I'm really annoyed at how Netflix have been clamping down on the use of proxy servers to access content from other regions. The Netflix content selection in most European countries is very limited compared to the United States, and we end up paying more because of the higher currency value.

If Netflix invest more in their original programming, bring in interesting shows and movies from other studios and open up access to other regions, I wouldn't mind paying up to 15 euros a month.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

The last time I loaded up Netflix was to rewatch One punch man, and that was close to a month ago. Before that I watched 3 episodes of stranger things. I don't remember watching anything else on Netflix this year besides that. In general I find myself watching shows and movies less and less as the years go by. And at this point, I actually watch movies more by going to the cinema than watching them at home. The former gives me a reason to get out of my house and forces my attention on a single thing for 2 hours. I have family that uses it still, and there are plenty of original programs that I'd like to watch at some point, so I'll still be subbing for the foreseeable future. But in the years to come, if prices keep going up, maybe it might seem too costly for how often it's used in my household.

fledeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By fledeye

A UK TV licence is just over £12 a month so we’re seriously considering not renewing ours and just having Netflix and Amazon Prime. Our current Netflix plan is £5.99 a month and Prime works out at about £6 a month, so to have the two is about the same as a licence and there’s rarely anything on a BBC channel that we want to watch. We’d be cutting our monthly TV bill in half and losing very little in the way of content.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be honest, I don't even know how much I pay for Netflix.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$11 if I was specifically looking to watch a few things on there and then cancel it after a month because thats the price of a month of prime. To ever consider blindly paying for it month after month they would have to reduce the price to $5.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My wife watches so much damn Netflix, I don't think I can realistically answer this question.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My problem is with streaming services in general. They are fairly inexpensive, so I don't feel the need to cancel them, but I barely watch them. I should have cancelled Hulu a year or two ago, yet I still have it. I easily go 6 months without watching anything on Crunchyroll, yet I've had it consistently for like 3 or more years. These services must have a term for a user like me. A person who doesn't use it, but has been a loyal member for 5+ years anyways.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By monetarydread

I think that Netflix could definitely price themselves into a corner, but to be frank, I'm okay with a price increase if it means we won't have to deal with all the commercial bullshit you get with Hulu.

tatsuyarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

With the same level of content they offer now at 20 euros I'm out. If the quality improves I'll think about it. But if the quality of the offer decreases at 15 euros I'll be out. These past few months I found their offer lacking in originality and the movies are mediocre at best. I wish they had better quality movies on offer but I'm not too optimistic.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking said:

Netflix's slimming selection of non-original content, their homogenizing original content (how many fucking super hero shows?), and the slow but steadily increasing subscription fee have been getting me closer and closer to cutting off.

Pretty much. They barely have anything that isn't exclusively theirs anymore, and even when it comes to their exclusive content, for every Jessica Jones they have five Ozarks.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27 geirr  Online

I've got their biggest UHD plan but also share the netflix account with more households
and so I end up paying ~3usd per month. That works for me.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By OurSin_360

I also share it with other people, but if the price gets more stuff put back on i dont mind a couple extra dollars. Having 4k content is nice too, since there still isnt a lot of that right now. I enjoy the marvel stuff too and its basically the only original content of theirs i watch.

If it moves up to 18-20 at that point its probably time to move on.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every time NetFlix gives me a free month i am always baffled at there bad movie line-up watch a serie and cancel my free trail subscription. and yeah anything above 15 bucks is to many for netflix.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a cord-cutter, Netflix, Prime, & Sling is what I use for TV. I wouldn't pay more than $15 a month for it without more content added. Unfortunately in about 5 years, there is going to be SOOOO many streaming services, that none of them will be worth the money

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's where the stranger things, star trek, and great british bake off live. also one punch man.

their new ability to locally download things for use in the gym is a godsend for me.

an increase of $1 doesn't really move the needle for me. they'd have to hit 14 or so for me to start thinking about the value again.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm one of these people that has netflix and lets the subscription roll over despite not using it much because of convenience. If it goes too far north of 9.99 many people who are like me will probably cancel and only renew when something of note comes on.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't watch much TV anymore period so I haven't had Netflix for some years. The price increase lessens my interest in even picking it up for a month to catch a series though.

I do have Amazon for the Grand Tour, but I see that as an extension of my Prime benefits then strictly for the show itself.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

In Aus we have Netflix or a local one called Stan which has very limited options (tried it for a time, not much on there outside of one or two shows). We use the heck out of Netflix so I'll keep paying for it unless it becomes crazy in price (don't let Netflix see this and charge too much more please!)

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On one level, I don't line spending money. On another, I want Netflix to get away from the "We're going to take a massive loss and make the difference from investors." model. It's not a good model and one of these days a massive unprofitable tech company is going to burn up and take a bunch of jobs with it.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as it still has shows (not so much movies for me really) that I want to watch on it, I'd be okay around 20.
At some point I'll watch what a I care about though and if they aren't adding more shows fast then I'll just not give a shit and cancel.

BoxxyBae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldenglishc: I was just about to rewatch X-Files also.. God damn.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#38  Edited By RonGalaxy

I have access to Netflix for free, and I haven't used it in months. Netflix's issue isn't the quality of their content or price increases, but how terrible they are at curation.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

The seems the more price goes up the less I use it.

$15 would be my cut off, but I may cancel sooner just because I'm really not using it much as it is.

clockwork5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would pay $15/month for 2010 Netflix.

I would pay $3/month for 2017 Netflix.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

Maybe it's American Netflix that's bad, because I've been quite happy to pay for Canadian Netflix. Plenty of great shows keep getting added (e.g. The Good Place, Riverdale), the original programming is fantastic (Big Mouth, Bojack Horseman, Love), and there's always some funny stand-up being added. I'd happily keep paying $15/mo for the service.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

At this point I just subscribe to Netflix, and CBS All Access until I see if Star Trek is good or not. Everything else I just wait to come out in DVD so I can loan them from the library where I work. I binge watch Game of Thrones a year later. I binge watch most movies on Bluray/DVD months after the theatrical releases. So, mostly I keep Netflix in case I am bored.

On the other hand, I spend $22 a month on six or seven Patreons. My yearly subscription to Giant Bomb and Tested is some amount of money - I don't actually know how much.

• If I were to ditch anything it would be CBS All Access first, but I don't want to have to do that, Julie McNamara.
  • Then I might stop my subscription to Tested; because I mostly pay out of misplaced sentimentality...and the fact that Simone Giertz is awesome.
  • After that I might drop some of my Patreons; they are all smaller producers so I feel like supporting them is important.
  • Then Giant Bomb would be the last thing I would drop....Unless, Ben and Abby leave together to make their own website; at which time I would just give them money.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a923fc7099e3
deactivated-5a923fc7099e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried Netflix a couple of months ago because I could get a free month. I enjoyed it but the lineup just isn't strong enough for me to commit for a monthly subscription.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When it starts getting north of $15 I will probably consider cancelling it. For now I don't mind the cost, I get my money's worth for the most part.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I'm on the two-screen plan, and I'm not sure why, but I feel like 14 or 15 would be where I would have to sit down and really think about how much I watch on Netflix.

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

It has Terrace House, so like I'm willing to throw some more money at it.

ramagamma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm considering binning netflix this month. Most of the stuff I really love is either on Now4 and ok you need to sit through commercials for that but it's free or I have on DVD. There are a lot of shows people enjoy on Netflix but most of them just don't interest me after a couple of episodes.

Every month I go thorough the recently added tab and its full of things I just don't have the time for.

jakoo_P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slax said:

It has Terrace House, so like I'm willing to throw some more money at it.

Best take in the thread.

Honestly, Netflix has completely replaced cable for me. They could probably jack the price up to twenty dollars a month and I would still bite. (Netflix don't actually do this plz)

Coozey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The value proposition of subscription based on-demand services such as Netflix has dramatically decreased the rate In which I frequent the cinema. Let's put this into perspective all these streaming services offer you unlimited viewing of a large volume of movies and shows of varying range that's being updated semi-frequently, you can view said content at your leisure and pause/play whenever you want, all of this in the comfort of your own home, the only real pre-requisite is of course a internet connection.

Let's compare that to the cinema experience. The cheapest you'll find a ticket for a movie in my area at least is $14, (that's the standard fee for movies that are non-3D, or in high demand) Add $2 for gas. Time + Money for finding parking. You can't bring liquor, and bringing pizza or anything resembling food is obviously out of the question, unless it's one of those fancy dinner theaters for fancy people. And once it's all said and done, you never know what kind of audience you'll seated with which could make or break the entire movie experience for you, and you'll sit there uncomfortably with your shoes on the sticky floor fighting the guy sitting next to you over the armrest estate. Now don't get me wrong, I know I'm coming of as a negative Nancy here, the theaters will always hold a special place in my heart, nothing beats watching a really good movie directly on the silver screen, but just a few years ago when the prices where much, much cheaper I would go almost every week and see a movie I knew nothing about because I thought the poster looked cool, or because the tagline gave me a sensible chuckle. Now I'll only go If I'm absolutely certain I'll love it.

At the current rate, I would personally have no quarrels paying up to $20 or even more for a good subscription service. It's would still be cheaper than seeing 1 movie in the theaters if you add in all the expenses and about the same or in some cases cheaper than buying a retail blu-ray.

And yes, I am a very frugal person. Not because I choose to be, like Mick Jagger... it's because I'm poor.

somamilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean these video services are not necessities and are extra good stuff for you, but yeah I find myself switching between services depending on what I want to watch like the netflix castlevania series and the amazon anime strike service since I follow anime pretty regularly and the crucnhyroll service for all the dependable HD video and release services.