• 54 results
sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By sungahymn

As I live in a development zone in China, bad internet is to be expected and happens once every two to three months. In fact, it happened just a few minutes ago for me.

So how often does YOUR internet go down?

Moreau_MD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Moreau_MD

When I don't pay the bill. Apart from then, never.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

I've had my current ISP for three years. I think it has gone down twice for a grand total of probably 30 minutes.

One time it was because a tree fell over in an ice storm and demolished their lines. They fixed it incredibly fast.

PolyesterKyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PolyesterKyle

Whenever I need it for anything important

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CL60

Not often, my wifi on the other hand, that shit stops working every hour.

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sungahymn

@PolyesterKyle: Isn't that always though?

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By VierasTalo

When my dog eats the cables.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By tebbit

I think twice, in two years. It was only for a few hours each time though. I went to sleep / went outside, probably. Those were good times.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AlexW00d

Never. Despite the shit people give 'em, BT have never, ever let me down.

dropabombonit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dropabombonit

Actually only went down a couple of times last year but it was for like 2 hours. The router itself using wifi will for some reason once a week restart itself, don't know why that happens. By the time I get up to do something it will have fixed itself

Emperor_Jimmu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Emperor_Jimmu

A couple of times a day here in Aberystwyth.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cdb69f34ac28
deactivated-5cdb69f34ac28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@sungahymn said:

As I live in a development zone in China, bad internet is to be expected and happens once every two to three months. In fact, it happened just a few minutes ago for me.

I live in Xi'an. I get internet issues at least once a month. Normally, it can last for anywhere between 2 hours and 2 days, but I've gone longer without it.

I've been without internet for more than a full week before, which really sucks when you're living in China and part of your work is related to emailing and communicating with people overseas. Hell, if I wasn't able to email from my phone, my family back in America might freak out on a regular basis.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Buscemi

Never.

MrJorOwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MrJorOwe

In Belfast here, the wired internet never goes down, so I always just use that. But my housemates use wireless, and it is probably down 50% of the time they go to use it. Never had that problem before we used Virgin Media. On the plus side for me, the wired can get up to 9mb/s DL speed and usually does around 6.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Bollard

@sungahymn: How long does the internet have to not be working for it to be down? 2 to 3 months is nothing, and you call that a development zone?

I live in the bloody UK and I used to lose internet connection weekly.

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By foggel
@Ariketh said:

@sungahymn said:

I live in Xi'an. I get internet issues at least once a month. Normally, it can last for anywhere between 2 hours and 2 days, but I've gone longer without it. I've been without internet for more than a full week before. If I wasn't able to email from my phone, my family back in America might freak out on a regular basis.

When I first moved to Shanghai, my internet went down almost daily. Now, almost a year later it's more or less stable. But the speed varies greatly though.
foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By foggel

Does any of you have xbox live here btw? How's that working for you? I have internet, but I have periods where my xbox cannot connect to xbox live.

InternetCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By InternetCrab

Sometimes when I try to get into a server on a MP game... firewall is not the problem, tried everything, ofcourse it is the internet's fault....

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SmilingPig

It appened once in the last 2 years.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Quarters

Not often now that I have my modem fixed. Had something go bad in a cable, had to get it taken off. Works much better now. The city doesn't have it's Internet fail very often. Usually only when either

A) a freak accident happens,

or

B) when they're doing maintenance/upgrades.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#21  Edited By Svenzon

Almost never save for maintenance. My 5-year old router drops the wireless signal from time to time though.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Azteck

Comhem is pretty shit so it isn't uncommon, but it's very rarely for more than a few minutes. However it always happens at the worst times.

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By UitDeToekomst

I switched to Verizon fios in October and since then it hasn't gone down a single time while I've been home. When I had Comcast it seemed like it would go down a few times a month for brief periods.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cdb69f34ac28
deactivated-5cdb69f34ac28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foggel Yeah, my speed is usually piss-poor. It felt a lot faster when I was in Yangzhou (near Shanghai), but I have no idea if it actually was. I never checked. But if I try to play games like SMNC, I get a ping of about 500. But at least I'm able to play it.

I don't have an xbox here. I was told by other foreigners that it can't connect to the internet, not to mention that I hardly have time for it, but that was more than a year ago that I heard that.

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By pw2566ch

Maybe once or twice a month. I honestly don't know what it is. I've called Time Warner and they say everything is fine. I've tried switching out the modem, the router, and even the wireless card in my computer. Multiple times I went back and forth between Ethernet and wireless. Still no fixing the issue. Can't switch providers either because there's no other providers that have the same speed. Unless I want DSL at 1.5Mb/s.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ramone

My wifi dies constantly, at least 2 or 3 times a day.

deadmanforking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By deadmanforking

Living in the middle of no-where with really crappy internet, it tends to go down at least 3-4 times a week for like an hour or so.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By penguindust

My internet is not very fast (1.47 down on Speedtest) but it's pretty stable. The bigger problem I have is my power goes out around 2 or 3 times per month, and that's worse during the summer. It's usually only an on-off-on thing, but it knocks everything out and I have to go around resetting the clocks, waiting for the router to reconnect, cycling up the satellite TV, etc... Plus, my PS3 and 360 aren't on a battery like my PC, so when the power goes out, wherever I last saved is where I have to start the game again. That can be quite frustrating in some games. Oh, and I live in the US Southeast. I'd like blame it all on the rainy season, but as I said, it happens practically year round.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By buft

@sungahymn said:

In my older house I had Talk Talk and AOL, when i first got broadband AOL where the only company offering broadband in my area and it would literally go off once or twice a day and it was so slow like 0.25meg then Talk Talk bought them and we switched, we then had 1 meg but it still went off 2-3 times a week.

I just moved to a flat near town and got BT inifinity and so far in 2 months i havent had a single minute of downtime and for online games that is so good

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MeierTheRed

Almost never.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#31  Edited By natetodamax

Mine used to go down pretty often but ever since we moved to another house it's been great.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SamStrife

@CL60 said:

Not often, my wifi on the other hand, that shit stops working every hour.

This. My house is pretty darn large so I have a series of repeaters set up to get wifi access to the places I need it most. There's always one of them links breaking at some point. Pisses me right off because I have blisteringly fast net speeds otherwise.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By 49th

My router is terrible which means every time I try to play a multiplayer game with servers it gets overloaded with things and restarts itself. This happens 1 or 2 times before I can get into a server.

It also randomly goes down for a few hours every few weeks.

Hennet_sim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By Hennet_sim

I use At&T It goes down once or twice a day and can stay down for hours I live in rural part of Texas so that could be why

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35  Edited By crusader8463

Usually goes down once or twice a month during the middle of the night.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Karl_Boss

Not very often.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37  Edited By Cincaid

I have absolutely terrible connection, mostly because me and my girlfriend don't want to sign up to broadband until we move to a new apartment. So now we're using mobile internet through a stick in the computer, and I'd wager it disconnects around at least 4-5 times per day depending on the mobile net.

No Caption Provided

It's horrible to play online, not only because of lag but also the constant fear of disconnecting. Trying to play through Iron Brigade right now with two friends, and it's a victory each time we complete a level without someone disconnecting. Although I've heard that game has connection issues on its own.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By freakin9

I'm currently on the phone about a faulty internet connection. And by that I mean on a unholy long hold.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Rattle618

Once a year or so.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Spoonman671

Constantly.  I'm currently looking into getting a new provider.  Pain in the ass.

aksanakmal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By aksanakmal

Not too often here, but "disconnected" happens a lot.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#42  Edited By pyromagnestir

Not really sure. I can't connect sometimes but I don't know if that's something on my end or theirs, and since it usually is fine I can't figure it out. Now this is only the last 4 months or so, as before that we had a shitty router that would disconnect constantly and couldn't handle any speed whatsoever. Yet strangely enough that router handled xbox live with no issues but the new one has a little trouble if someone is using xbox live and a someone else is on a computer using the internet.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By phrosnite

Not often. Only when they're doing maintenance.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#44  Edited By Pepsiman

Usually mine only outright goes down when there's maintenance going on, but since it's a university connection, that's to be expected. However, beings as I live in Japan, the speeds aren't super ideal (I have no idea how the myth of great Internet everywhere in this country got started) and since this connection is seemingly shared across both campus and the dorms, there are times when the speeds get so low I can't properly do a lot of my work. The network admins try to prevent that from happening by restricting certain ports, but it's hardly difficult to work around them (YouTube, for instance, loads terribly if you default to 360p video, but then miraculously works fine if you can go up to 720p) and, as a result, everybody's out trying to con everybody else out of bandwidth that anecdotal evidence seems to suggest goes mostly towards torrenting. Obviously not an inherent fault of the connection per se (although I bet they could afford to upgrade knowing how much they ask us foreign students for tuition each semester), but it's still a fact of life here.

UsbCable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By UsbCable

I have Fios now so NEVER! O_O

Back when I had cable (two years ago) it was almost daily that it would go out during use and I had to wait for it to kick back in. When I had dial up it was every 20 minutes thanks to my parents always picking up the phone, so what if they paid the bills I was on teh webz... :'(

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Grillbar

rare only when i need to reboot router. so like once every 4 month or so. and it only takes 10 sec

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47  Edited By RandomHero666

Lately? Very often

My area is getting 100mb lines installed atm, so mine has been patchy lately.. Usually it's stable as fuck though

IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By IkariNoTekken

Lose connection multiple times a month and it goes down completely (for more than a day) a few times a year.

Get power cuts quite a lot too.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By ajamafalous

Never.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points