• 85 results
pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By pr1mus

Lots of people will say they like a bit a everything but i'm wondering how varied your taste in music are when you stick only to your favorites.

I ask because looking at my music library and what i listen to the most and it's very diverse. If i was to select say 10 albums or artists that i more or less listen to as much as one another i would come up with stuff like Metallica, Guns & Roses, Queen, The Prodigy, Kavinsky, Adele, Juno Reactor, Muse, a bunch of Hans Zimmer soundtracks, South Central, Justin Timberlake, System of a Down. There's totally 12 artists on that list, not 10.

I also listen to tons of video games music or remixes which are themselves too diverse to list.

Here are a couple favorites:

The Bounty of a Brain - Metroid Remix

I Have Begun My Ascent - Dear Esther

End Game - Saints Row the Third

Wings of Liberty - StarCraft 2

Jungle Groove - Donkey Kong Country

I listen to that kind of stuff in almost equal quantity. For years growing up it was all about metal and as time went by i started to diversify what i listen too but still like the older stuff just as much. When someone ask the question "what's your favorite band or artist?" it gets increasingly difficult to answer. Even more vague questions like favorite genre is problematic. Metal i guess? Or maybe electronic music, but then the difference between say, Kavinsky and Juno Reactor is pretty huge too.

So what about you duders?

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Really varied. In high school I was only about metal but since then I have ventured out into other music and I will at least like an artist or two of a certain genre if not appreciate the genre as a whole. Country is about my least favorite but I do like some artists.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Winternet

I only have one kind of music that I like: good music.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pr1mus

One of my favorite too.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By psylah

http://www.last.fm/user/psylah

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That said, I do like many different genres/styles of music.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Blu3V3nom07
Slay3r1583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I listen to everything from Slayer to Stratovarius to Sublime. So yeah... not really varied at all.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Outside video games? Not very.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@winternet said:

Seriously. Everything, as long as it's good.

My last playlist I used while studying and Dota'ing was a mix of Rotten Sound, Girl's Generation, and 65daysofstatic.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm the opposite way. I only enjoy objectively bad music:

Loading Video...

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By jakob187

I can listen to Pantera's "War Nerve" and then follow it up with Dave Matthews Bands' "Two Step" or Justin Timberlake's "What Comes Around," then move back to Cerebral Bore or Cannibal Corpse and fill in with a little Mussorgsky with the greatest of ease.

My parents raised me to be a child of music, someone who can appreciate everything and anything so long as it is done well and has passion behind it. My grandparents gave me a healthy dose of country music as a child, I grew up during grunge/gangsta rap/alternative, my parents were hippies during 'Nam, my friends were a mixed variety of musical interests, and I always liked venturing into new genres with an open mind and ear.

Basically, I listen to virtually everything and anything...so long as I think it's good.

...except indie. I fucking hate indie music...and tejano. They are fucking wretched.

Also, U2 sucks balls.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Very. A lot of the music that I listen to doesn't fit into a genre very well. Even if they do my sense on what a genre is and isn't isn't very good anymore. But if I were to name the genres in my music collection I would say blues, jazz, classic rock, rock, pop, pop-rock, country, folk, metal, R&B, hip-hop, classical, techno, dance, ambient/experimental, progressive rock, alternative (anything else that I can't think of a genre for).

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mellotronrules

everything. i don't think there's a single major genre that doesn't have its moments of brilliance. and note that i said major genre- there's plenty of scenester garbage out there. in fact, one could almost make the argument that the more specific or adherent your sound is, the more likely it's trash. but there's sure to be major exceptions to that- i just find (and this may be self-evident) that a lot of the most exciting stuff is the stuff that crosses-over.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Winternet

@ravenlight: If by "objectively bad" you mean "great" then yeah :)

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravenlight: If by "objectively bad" you mean "great" then yeah :)

Those two phrases are synonyms in my mind.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By jacdg

@milkman said:

Your musical compatibility with Milkman519 is SUPER

Apparently, you have some nice taste in music. As for me, 95% of the stuff I listen to is rap, I really like almost every genre of music except metal, but hip/hop is the only culture I really dig as well, so that's why it's my primary genre. I wish I could delve as much into other genres, especially jazz/soul/blues, as I have with rap, but I barely have the time to follow the rap game, so the whenever I listen to pop, rock or whatever, it's more casually background music, whereas I like to get super analytical and shit with my hip/hop. Anyway, my last.fm ( http://www.last.fm/user/JacDG ) is here if anyone is interested in that sorta thing, it doesn't contain everything I listen to, but it's mostly there.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I generally like rock more but i listen to everything from the strokes to metallica to david bowie to justin timberalke to dr dre to calvin harris to shania twain and beyond.

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have 51,1 days of music so i like all kinds of stuff, except Rihannas etc.

LAST.FM

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flashygoodness, System of A Down, Jeremy Soule (Elder Scrolls Soundtracks), Sublime, Lindsey Stirling and a ton more.

I listen to a little amount of rap, a lot of rock, punk, metal, dubstep/electronic and orchestrated music.Pretty strange variety.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Very.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By Justin258

I can think of an example of most things that I like.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say its pretty varied. I'm still your typical rocker/metalhead most of the time, but I do like a little bit of everything.

Classic Rock, 80's hair metal, pop-punk, 3rd wave ska, gangsta rap (old school), 80's pop, classical, blues, guitar instrumentals, jazz/fusion, thrash metal, prog rock/prog metal..

Some of my favorite bands are The Offspring, Megadeth, Dance Hall Crashers, Dokken, Steel Panther, Wham!, NWA, Anthrax, Paul Gilbert, Ethan Brosh, Jimi Hendrix, Public Enemy, Iron Maiden, Devin Townsend/Strapping Young Lad, Hammerfall, Edguy, The Expoxies, The Soviettes, Poison, Queensryche, Black Sabbath, Van Halen, Pantera, Reel Big Fish....

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By captain_clayman

I listen to everything. There is something to like in pretty much every genre, I've found.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By StarFoxA
Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can listen to everything but Im only a fan of rap. Im also a "minor" fan of old soul music and jazz but thats about it. Im pretty open about my opinion of rap. I just cant listen to the heavily "underground" type shit that sounds like it came out of the gutter of 2005. Other than that, I can listen to rap from the early 90s and switch over to trash such as Meek Mill without a problem. I guess as Ive matured, I started putting a bigger influence on flow rather than how I used to solely listen to the lyrics. Dont get me wrong, lyrics are important but those words dont mean shit when your inflections dont match the beat.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Canteu

I can listen to pretty much anything, but if it's rap, hip-hop or made with a computer (exclusively) i'm thoroughly not interested.

Oh, and pop music.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

uh, I like both Sunn o))) and lady gaga does this count?

Cyrus_Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only genres of music I do not care much for is Country and Modern Rap. However, my top artists are in the Progressive Metal genre. Bands like Dream Theater, Opeth, Symphony X.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I used to be "that guy" who always said "I like everything!" but had only one or two genres in his library.

I've expanded exponentially in recent years, though. Thinking about my current favorites, most of them have nothing in common with each other.

Speaking of musical discovery, why didn't anybody tell me how great trip-hop was? Or how misleading the name of the genre is? I feel like a crucial part of the 90s passed me by while I was knee-deep in radio pop (don't judge me!).

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By pr1mus

@shagge: Yeah Trip Hop is awesome. Massive Attack and Portishead are brilliant.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lots of music threads lately.

My tastes are pretty diverse I'd say. Classical, Classic Rock, and video game soundtracks are my top three genres.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr1mus said:

tricky (who is black and no relation to our own Klepek) is also pretty good, he was a contemporary of Portishead

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My music collection is a clusterfuck of all kinds of shit. EDM and hip-hop are my favorites right now but earlier today I was listening to Rammstein and Marilyn Manson. 90's alternative is huge for me too. Fuck country music though. Except Johnny Cash. That Folsom Prison live album was phenomenal.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By HerbieBug

I like pretty much everything. There are only a couple exceptions, and those are quite specific:

Do not like: deliberately bad sounding "art music."

Do not like: improvised jazz solos. Jazz musicians, even the very talented ones, all improvise in the same way. And it all sounds bad in comparison to composed solos. That said I absolutely love good composed jazz.

Do not like: any country music recorded in the last, say, thirty years.

I like everything else. Even the weird stuff. I can't list favorite bands because I haven't kept track of specific ones since I was a teenager. I usually just look up youtube mixes that are an hour or more in length and have that play.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@pr1mus said:

tricky (who is black and no relation to our own Klepek) is also pretty good, he was a contemporary of Portishead

I'll have to give him a shot. My knowledge of trip-hop begins with Portishead and ends with Massive Attack. I could listen to Portishead on loop for years, but I'm curious as to how deep this rabbit hole goes (Dammit, Brad, now you have me saying it!).

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman: Damn, dude, you really like Midnight Brown, don't you?

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i enjoy good music, that can come from any type or genre.

like i don't particularly like rap as a whole, but there are plenty of rap songs i rather enjoy.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i enjoy good music, that can come from any type or genre.

like i don't particularly like rap as a whole, but there are plenty of rap songs i rather enjoy.

That's actually a really good way of putting it. I feel the same way about country.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mellotronrules

@pr1mus said:

indeed. everyone should be listening to that collaboration burial did with massive attack. it's like a mini-album, and it's GENIUS.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favorite music includes King Crimson, everything by Kevin Moore, Wishbone Ash, Chick Corea, The Mercury Program, Pizzicato Five, Bela Fleck, Shugo Tokumaru, Doseone, also including Kpop groups like Kara, Brown Eyed Girls, Sunny Hill, and IU.

Thrillhouse87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Thrillhouse87

I only listen to industrial folk punk, because i am deeper and better then you all. I am joking of course, I like everything from ABBA to Beefheart, and like many here have said, there is good music within more or less every genre.

DopeToast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've gotten a lot better over the years. I used to completely ignore hip-hop, but have since come to my senses and embraced it, as well as pretty much anything that tickles my fancy or people I trust recommend.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Not at all lol

bennyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By bennyboy

I listen to all different types of music. punk, pop-punk, hardcore, post-hardcore, melodic hardcore, skate-punk, metalcore, sludgecore, pantscore, you name it.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On my way to school I listened to Electric Wizard and on the way back I listened to Gucci Mane so not at all.

Grimmrobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Grimmrobe
ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers