Hyphen's now available for usernames.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Silver-Streak

I've kept searching for a username to switch to from my old one (Eujin) for years now, as it was hard to pronounce when I was asking questions on streams. When the site first started, hyphens weren't available, although Dave and the other engineers did look into it after a while.

After becoming a bit saddened when all of the other usernames appeared (no offense to any if you actually still visit, just don't post) to be squatted by users that no longer were active on the site (SimonBelmont, TrevorBelmont, Silver, etc), I tried my normal alias again, Silver-Streak, as it still contains my actual name (Silver), and I've used it forever elsewhere. After expecting the usual "invalid username" message I've seen nearly every year, I was shocked to see it succeed!

I couldn't find any threads with the word "hyphen" in them, so I thought I'd post about it. I really hope this isn't a bug or anything, and that it doesn't break anything for the site.

Edit: Welp. May be a bug. Replies no longer work for me in chat. They no longer show up in the replies tab, nor highlight. Posted in bug reporting. Basically, if anyone else was going to swap names, DON'T GO TOWARDS THE LIGHT.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

Hahaha what is all this?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

Hyphens seem to have been available in 2008. But at that time they appeared as underscores in URLs.

http://www.comicvine.com/profile/spader_man/

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

@lordandrew: Yeah, as recently as 2012, when Dave was still around, we talked about how it still didn't work right for GB due to some of the wiki stuff. And if you tried to change your username to it in the billing site, it'd throw up an error stating the username was invalid.

I'm wondering if some users were able to create new accounts with Hyphens no problem ,or they (and I) slipped through. I'm sure the engineers will get a chance to look at it at some point. They're currently crunching for e3, so I have no rush. If it can't be fixed, then I'll just have to live with broken replies in chat until next year when I can change again.