I didn't get the job. You been here?

• 66 results
Unilad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey, so today I got the email saying I didn't get 'the job'. Got to the final interview stage, thought I had done well and BAM! I giant fuck you right in there. I kinda wanted it. Would have put my foot on the employment ladder, given me substantial salary, a flat and the start of my own independence.

Spent the last 5 hours playing Last of Us.

Basically, just wanna see how you's all doing with the job stuff? Any super successful stories can just be left out if that's cool.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'v had a rough go with jobs for a long time as well, stick in there.

russcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By russcat

A lot of companies don't even bother to say 'Nope, you didn't get the job' and will just leave you hanging indefinitely. From that perspective I have been grateful to hear those words.

Breaking into any industry is the hardest part, it seems. Keep trying. Even failure is practice for the next time.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

I've been working for a while and my job came from my internship at graduate school. But getting that internship was rough. It took nearly 7 months before the last agency I had at my disposal finally gave me a shot. And I've been there ever since.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Not really. I've only ever been a King, and not getting the job would've meant death.

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

After eight years of shitty call centre work I decided to retrain as a journalist. Spent £5K+ and bust my ass for NCTJ accreditation, then found out at the end of my course that I was pretty much screwed from day one, since there's over a thousand graduates per year and not as many jobs to go around, and waiting until you're nearly 30 to do something about your life doesn't reflect well on you.

So now I'm back working in a call centre, flat broke and unhappier than ever.

jeffrud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#7  Edited By jeffrud

It gets better from here. We're all rooting for you, mang. Unless you're a total deadbeat scumbag asshole, in which case you got what you bloody deserved.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I have my first ever job interview so if I fuck it up I'll be in the same boat. here's hoping I don't!

I'm sure anyone who's gone job hunting has been turned down for a job a few times. Just keep trying.

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Toxeia

I've been looking for work since April and immediately filed an application with Time Warner. I just this morning received confirmation from Time Warner that I am over qualified to work in their call center.

The application was for a position installing and maintaining equipment for business class customers' websites, etc.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm in an internship where it's nebulous whether I'll get a job or not, but everyone's been really supportive so... hopefully they will hire me. I live in this tense area of "Oh god, if I don't get this job by September I'll have to go finish school which will drive me to misery/insanity". So I really hope this turns into a job.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

That's a bummer man, I took a contract job that ended in late May and I just now found another (I start Wednesday). I don't know if I'm going to like it but at least it's something. Keep your head up duder.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Toxin066

It's not going well for me. I'm still unemployed. I don't know why it's so difficult to find part time work in a college town. I'm just looking for something that will pay the rent while I continue working through my master's. I've had two interviews in the past week, and I haven't heard back from countless applications. It's quite frustrating and it's difficult to have hope.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toxin066 said:

It's not going well for me. I'm still unemployed.

Yupp, this is where I am. Fresh out of school and it's iiiiiiiimpossible to find any kind of full-time job.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

In June I got offered a job that paid almost twice as much as the one I had, so I quit about 3 days before the next job started. Two days later I was scheduled to take a drug test for the new job, but my mom was an hour and a half late getting home with the car. I missed the test, and couldn't get ahold of them for the rest of the day. Next morning (my birthday), they woke me up to inform me that they were withdrawing their offer. I haven't been able to find anything else all summer, despite 3 really promising interviews.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That sucks man, sorry to hear. It will get better. Just keep in mind that interviews are stupid and a large part of landing a job is luck.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Yes. You just gotta hang in there and keep applying. Looking for a job fucking sucks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Been looking for a part-time, minimum wage job to be apart of my college campaign. It's been more than a year and I've got nothing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Been looking for a part-time, minimum wage job to be apart of my college campaign. It's been more than a year and I've got nothing.

Toastburner_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By Toastburner_B

Job hunting sucks right now. I recently graduated after going back to school and I am still on the hunt despite having had four or five interviews (including one earlier today) That said, you just have to keep at it. Rejection is going to come, it's part of the process. All you can do is dust yourself off and keep applying at places.

Nicked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been there. Actually waiting to hear back on a job and they should be in touch this week. What blows is that I had to turn down a temp opportunity which would have been a really great opportunity, but I was so far along in the interview process for this full time thing that I didn't feel right accepting it. Kind of kicking myself for it, but I didn't know what else to do in that scenario.

On the plus side I've been getting more freelance work, which has been keeping me busy.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't even heard back from places I've been applying to.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

@toxin066 said:

It's not going well for me. I'm still unemployed.

Yupp, this is where I am. Fresh out of school and it's iiiiiiiimpossible to find any kind of full-time job.

Same here. =-|

matti00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had this problem for 2 years after getting my marketing degree. Applying for several jobs a day, daily rejections - I was about to see a doctor for depression when out of the blue I got a temp job working in legal (not related to my degree at all). While I was doing that, my aunt found me a part time job tangentially related to marketing, and now a year and a half later, I'm a full time digital marketing consultant with that same company.

You need a little bit of luck, and you're going to have to work hard. I was working 3 jobs at the same time for about 3 months, and I volunteered with 4 different charities doing different things. It all paid off in the end, with a nice job, a house, and a family. Keep your head up.

warchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By warchief

Sorry to hear about that.

Back in 2009 I was laid off from a .com 4 months before my Daughter was born. To say that I freaked out would be an understatement.

There were so many jobs that I interviewed for during that time, and all the ones I wanted never worked out. Thankfully it only took me 3 weeks to find a new job, but I made the mistake of taking the first offer that came around.

I lasted 6 months at that job, ended up in the hospital [with what I thought was a heart attack] because of an anxiety attack, left the job with 0 notice, and found a new gig.

I am currently looking for a new job as well, and all the ones that I really wanted have not worked out. I'm just doing my best to be positive about the whole thing, and not let my current job get to me.

Just keep at it, you will find something, just don't take the first thing that comes along unless you are really into it.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By ProfessorEss

Last time I got the "You didn't get the job" call I landed a much better job three weeks later.

That was about 15 years ago and I haven't been unemployed or worked a job I hated since.

Keep yer head up.

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going for an interview tomorrow! In the unreasonable optimism stage at the moment.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Yep, finding a job is insanely hard. I've been unemployed for about a year now. The start of independent life is not really going smoothly.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By mosespippy

I spent the majority of the past two years unemployed. The job I have now is alright. I get paid $16.11 an hour to fill out a form and watch other people work. I didn't even apply for this job; it just sort of happened. It's funny how five years of university can't get me a job but an afternoonof on job training and a three day course can. Unfortunately I don't get a lot of work. Last month I went 12 days without a call then did 36 hours in three days, including a holiday. Now I'm hearing I might not be needed till late August or early September. :(

When my certification expires in October I might not go back and see if I can get work with my old roommate painting offices after renovations. At least then I'd get to work every day, which is better than waiting for a call that might never come.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm having the same problem. I had applied for aleast 15 or more jobs, but I can't seem to catch a break. Life fucking sucks sometimes, but then again alot of the problems I have is my own fault. Sometimes I wish I could change the things in my past, but can't.

Life goes on and gets worse I don't see hope coming.

paparoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just earned a doctorate, and although I found an adjunct teaching job at a university (basically part time faculty due for renewal every semester, with no benefits), no full-time opportunities emerged. Not even an interview.

Just keep trying.

eskimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By eskimo

The strongest steel is forged in the hottest flames. Hang in there buddy.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

I have gotten the shaft twice after getting multiple interviews. It sucks. :(

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For those people who are living in the U.S., looking for part-time work and say they can't find any, you aren't looking hard enough. Pizza delivery, restaurants, and fast food are always hiring.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By zeforgotten

I've had that happen as well, I'm fortunate enough to just be able to shrug it off and wait for a reply from all the other places I interviewed with.
And as much as it's probably not what people were originally looking for, having a job as a pizza delivery guy/girl/person/animal part-time while you're out trying to get that job you actually want is not a terrible idea.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jobs? There are none.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcghee said:

Pizza delivery, restaurants, and fast food are always hiring.

How much are they paying, though? And doesn't the supply for those jobs outstrip the demand?

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By stryker1121

@unilad - It happens, man. After getting laid off, I had four or five job interviews where I was among the final candidates for at least two of those positions. Didn't get the job(s) and it was depressing. But it was also a positive sign that I made it to the last round of interviews, and that's how you should look at it. You are obviously "hireable," it just didn't work out this time. Got to keep putting yourself out there, and eventually you'll get the job you want. Good luck to you.

cbarnes86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@unilad: I graduated in 2009 with a degree in music education. It is 2013 and I have yet to get a teaching job due to budget cuts and "lack of experience." How you are supposed to get experience if no one hires you, I don't know.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39  Edited By Levio

It's just a numbers game. Even if you make it to a final interview stage, there's at least 2 other candidates who have made it just as far, so your odds are never better than 1/3 even if you get to the millionth level of interviews.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In June I got offered a job that paid almost twice as much as the one I had, so I quit about 3 days before the next job started. Two days later I was scheduled to take a drug test for the new job, but my mom was an hour and a half late getting home with the car. I missed the test, and couldn't get ahold of them for the rest of the day. Next morning (my birthday), they woke me up to inform me that they were withdrawing their offer. I haven't been able to find anything else all summer, despite 3 really promising interviews.

Be sure to remind her that it's her fault on a regular basis :P

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

All it takes is one yes, it can take a while to get that one yes, but that yes will eventually happen if you keep pluggin away.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

The whole getting a decent job thing is life's biggest conundrum. Either you go to school get a degree wallow in student debt and pray to god your education decision pays off or you bypass college and try to get a decent job without education which is hard in its own right. I got a minimum wage job myself right now and thankfully my parents are still letting me live with them. (And yes I do help out financially so I'm not a total bum) Which is a life saver right now. Still, getting to the point where I'm getting bored and its not change motivated by societal pressure. Cause yeah I know anyone over 20 usually gets funny stares if they are still living with their parents. I for one could care less what anyone thinks. Its more I'm just becoming bored by nearly everything anymore. My problem has always been I never have been able to pinpoint what it is I want to do.

Should probably figure that whole thing out.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

@mcghee said:

Pizza delivery, restaurants, and fast food are always hiring.

How much are they paying, though? And doesn't the supply for those jobs outstrip the demand?

If you are looking to put money in your pocket, can't really thumb your nose at a paying job and the crazy thing, it's really easy to move up in those types of places. As long as you show SOME kind of initiative you can move really fast.

As long as you have something until the thing you want opens up, it's all you could ask for (at least in my experiences)

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Hunter5024

@korwin said:

@hunter5024 said:

Be sure to remind her that it's her fault on a regular basis :P

I will never let her forget.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't had any luck finding work, either. Been looking for over a year now. Got close once -- had an interview and everything -- only to find that they made some hires already a few months later (told me to keep checking in after the interview since they were waiting on the go-ahead from corporate to make any hires). Didn't stop them from stringing me along, though.

@mcghee said:

For those people who are living in the U.S., looking for part-time work and say they can't find any, you aren't looking hard enough. Pizza delivery, restaurants, and fast food are always hiring.

That's what I thought. Then I found that literally none of those places in my area are doing so. Or if they were, I never heard back from them.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

I've had this happen several times. I've had 3 years of crushing results.

I was even "told" I was going to get the job, they just had to wait for HR, and sure enough I got a call saying "the bigger ups" decided to put on a hiring freeze.

Needless to say, I was devastated, as the job would have been higher pay, and would have been great. I got sad for a bit, but got back on the horse.

3 months later, I got a job, that pays more than double what that other job was going to pay. The moral of this story; don't give up, persistence pays (literally.)

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By handlas

@russcat said:

A lot of companies don't even bother to say 'Nope, you didn't get the job' and will just leave you hanging indefinitely. From that perspective I have been grateful to hear those words.

Breaking into any industry is the hardest part, it seems. Keep trying. Even failure is practice for the next time.

This. You should feel lucky when they even tell you. It sucks.

Looking for a job is the woooorst. Having to fake that you are perfect in every single way during interviews is so much fun.

I'm on my 3rd job since about 3 years after college. Which is for the best I think. Laid off from my first job, got my 2nd job quickly and hated it so I quit, 3rd job has been good. Having to adapt to a new job in my profession has made me grow a lot...if I were still at my first job I'd probably have half the skills I have now.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcghee said:

In states like mine, whose laws are more friendly to business owners than workers, those positions are usually full time.

Miyuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49  Edited By Miyuki

@cbarnes86 said:

@unilad: I graduated in 2009 with a degree in music education. It is 2013 and I have yet to get a teaching job due to budget cuts and "lack of experience." How you are supposed to get experience if no one hires you, I don't know.

Word. I'm in music ed, and let me tell you I totally know where you are. I finally realized I wasn't going to get a classroom job, so I started my own studio and then managed to get a university teaching job. But it's tough! Total sympathy here.

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Just in case things get too depressing.