I don't know a lot of my coworkers names.

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So, I've always been terrible at names. I could maybe name 2/8 of my cousins. Who I used to see every Christmas. 0/7 of my stepsiblings. Who I have seen every Christmas for six years. But as of late, I've been at this job for four years. I know everyone in my department. But, in other departments, I've accumulated a long list of people who know my name and strike up some chit chat on the regular. But I have no idea what their name is. Which is especially weird because I probably have emailed these people. I feel like I've gone too far to ask someone their name. And I might just forget it anyway. Anyone else have this problem?

bitbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do too! I found that system to remember names that works for me is to think of an object that sounds like the name and picture it in your head when you introduce yourself (Anna and banana for example). The problem is that you need to remember to use the system...

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By monkeyking1969

You have to start using some "name remembering techniques". There are a whole bunch and they are easy to look up. The gist of their advice is to be "focused" on remembering, pretend peopel, names are like keys to a cash box...you want to be THAT focused, like you were going to get MONEY. Second, don't think about what you will sat next, or what you will eat for lunch when they talk. Put you focus on what that person is saying and their name.

Example:
You: Hi, I'm sorry I forgot your name - my name is Jim.
Tim: Oh, really...Jim we like work toegther? I'm Tim, I working in marketing, you know five cubicles over.
You: Tim, yeah, I am so sorry; I feel really embarrassed I forget your name Tim.
Tim: So, do you know Judy...the birthday girl -the reason we are her getting bagels on a Tuesday?
You: Well, I know Judy works in marketing, so could you introduce me, Tim?
Tim: Opps Judy just got snagged by our boss, maybe i cna intrude you later.
You: Sure, Tim, I'd really like to meet Judy. See ya.

Say their name back to them immediately and connect their name to what you know. Ask them a question where you have to use their name again OR answer their questions to you using their name so that you use it naturally. If you normally just walk away when the conversion dies down, don't do that. Instead, as you turn away say, "Well thanks, Tim! I'll see out at the next meeting."

After that interaction, write down their name [Tim Murphy (Marketing)] on a notepad on your phone. At the end of the day look at your phone. One thing I do is I have a copy of our "Staff List" and I read off the name and try to think of those people each week. It the same technique I used to study for Sixth grade Earth Science exams - I read my notes!

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I didn't know the name of my driving instructor when I was taking lessons, he was in my phone as "drive lessons" I called him a couple of times but every time he answered he answered with some bad reception or he was sick and coughed while saying his name, then it was too late to ask his name.

But yeah, calling those people is the best way to get their names because it's the first thing they'll say,

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alternative. Admit your bad with names, people will understand. I am absolutely awful with names. Faces, memories of past encounters and so on I get, names are -very- hit or miss.

My tactic has always been to just be upfront about it. Meeting new people? When first introduced admit "Hey, nice to meet you 'person's name here' forgive me if I end up needing to be reminded of that a few times I am utterly awful at names". People I've found have no problem helping you with problems like this when your just blunt about "This is a flaw I have, I appreciate the consideration and am doing my best".

Co-worker wise, its not weird at all to know people as 'The guy 3 cubicles down" 'the girl who drives the truck who works on the 2nd floor' and so on. Like yes, if you meet face to face with people multi times a week, then you do need to learn their names. It just takes repetition. Don't be afraid too go back to grade-school learning tactics either. Pull up facebook, repeat name 20 times, rinse repeat for 3 weeks. Make a point of addressing people by name whenever you can when you do happen to get their names right. Write down the names of everyone your afraid to forget the name of, look at it and go "Oh yah, Jerry" or whatever. If you get it wrong, admit 'woops I'm bad at names" see above.

Or just be 'that guy'. My closest social circle is absolutely aware that I will use the right names..for the wrong people. I'll call person A by person Bs name and so on. Multiple times in one night. They just accept it as part of my 'yah your brain doesn't do well with names" and rib me about it good-naturally and move on.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I work in a university with hundreds of employees. If I hear the name enough Ill remember but it takes forever but its always awkward talking to people who know my name and I dont know theirs

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Zelyre

I just admit to people that I will most likely not remember their name. I will give them shit directions to places because I can't remember names of streets.

However, I will also admit to said person that I will most likely remember the color and brand of shoes they're wearing, the first generation Lego B-Wing set they have on display on their desk wrongly piloted by an A-Wing pilot with Wonder Woman's head. If they have a dog, I will remember their dog's name and from that day forward refer to said person as "Doggo-butt's owner."

Need to get somewhere? Turn right at the tree that's half-green and half-red. You'll pass a McDonalds that's next to a Taco Bell, turn left at the statue of a man riding a penguin.

fledeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I run the UK equivalent of Girl Scouts and I meet a lot of girls, parents, Leaders etc.

I think someone else said one of the tricks is to keep saying a new person’s name when you met them. But I find honesty works. I say “I’m really sorry, I’ve met so many new people today/this week, I’m going to try and remember your name, but please don’t be offended if I don’t.”

Another thing you could try with Christmas coming up is organising a Secret Santa or Christmas party in your office so that you can go round to everyone with a sign up sheet. That way you can see them write their name and associate it with where they sit, their job title or the fact that they will bring the red velvet cake because they’re an excellent baker in their spare time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Tell them you have face blindness and that it's easier if they introduce themselves every time, like they would on a phone.