I got my New TV

Gangway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

Edited By Gangway

Not long after my last post, I purchased and received my new TV, an LG OLED55C7P to replace my Samsung Plasma. This new TV is not only a 4K TV but an OLED with good HDR support. I have read multiple sources saying that this is the best TV of its size and I got it for a pretty good price too. I have included some photos of it starting the day I received it.

My TV Arrived in a suitably large shipping box.

No Caption Provided

Inside that box was the TV's own box.

No Caption Provided

After removing the it from its box, I did confirm it turned on before proceeding to the next step.

No Caption Provided

I mounted the TV to my existing entertainment Center.

No Caption Provided

I re-assembled my messy entertainment center close to what is was before. I have since cleaned up the wires behind the TV a bit and it does look noticeably nicer than this.

No Caption Provided

Current Stuff I want to do with it.

• Replay some old games in 4K: There are some games that I already own that are either Xbox One X enhanced that I played once but want to play through again with the new TV. I have Wolfenstien 2, the new Colossus, Gears of War 4, Halo 5, Quantum Break, and Okami HD. I also started playing Starcraft Broodwar Remastered but I had not finished it. I an nearing the end of an elongated play through of Half Life 2 as well. I have Just Cause 3 for Steam but I only got past the intro and just mess around in it when I do play it. Finally I am in the middle of a play through of Doom 2016 for steam that looks real good in 1080p so it should look even better in 4K.
  • Play some new ones: Just some Game I want to get for my new TV (that are currently out) at some point include Forza Horizon 3, Assassins Creed: Origin, Rise of the Tomb Raider (after I play the first one, whenever that is), and plenty of games that have yet to come out that I mentioned in an earlier post (of stuff I am looking forward to in 2018)
  • 4K Emulation: I very much want to see some of the Nintendo Games I emulate on Dolphin and Cemu running in 4K as it is unlikely Nintendo will make a 4K capable systems anytime soon. On Cemu there is Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8, Smash Brothers, and Splatoon. On Dolphin there is Zelda: the Windwaker, F-Zero, Mario Galaxy and Sunshine games, Sonic Colors, and Other colorful games for either Emulator than seem neat. I'm not sure if other emulators are going to be worth trying out in 4K but I will have to try it and see.
  • 4K Movies: I am not going to re buy again my entire movie collection in 4K Blu Ray. I will only buy the ones that I think will benefit from the extra picture quality. I am saying this as much to myself as to any person reading this. There are some recent movies that I do not own that would benefit from being on 4K Blu Ray. I want to get Planet Earth 2 on 4K Blu Ray. When I first set up Netflix on my new TV it prompted me to "upgrade" to a 4K version for only an extra $3 a month so naturally I clicked no. I may decide to do that upgrade if there is enough 4K content on Netflix to make it worth my while but that is a tough, hard sell.

Stuff I might get at some point

• PS4 Pro: I had gotten rid of my PlayStation stuff a few years ago to buy more games for my Xbox and to stream line my collection. That was from a time where I had less money to get things like that. I now have reason to get a PS4 Pro, if I can get it for a good price that is. There are games for it I want such as Horizon Zero Dawn, Shadow of the Colossus, The Las of Us Remastered, the upcoming Last of Us 2, and other Sony exclusives that I can't remember off the top of my head.
  • Better Graphics Card: At some point, I am going to have to admit that my GTX 1060 is not good enough for gaming at 4K and I am going to have to upgrade. Right now is not a good time to buy a new graphics card with the Bitcoin mining related inflated prices going on right not but since I just dropped a good chunk of change on the here TV I wasn't going to get one now anyway. At some point I will upgrade though, being the original plan all along
  • Better Up Scaler: My cheap, basic RGB to HDMI upscaler that I got for $50 back in 2015 is not very good. It is a big improvement coming from composite but if you want a real upscaler you need to drop some bigger amounts of money on something like a Framemeister or an OSSC (Open Source Scan Converter) an once again That is more than what I want to spend at the moment. I do not think that there is a viable 4K RGB Scart to HDMI converter but by the time I am ready to upgrade there may be one. Only time will tell.
  • Better Surround Sound Receiver: My Old, cheap Surround Sound Receiver circa 2006 that does not even have an HDMI port (I use Optical Audio for everything) was in more need of an upgrade than my TV but I rarely make the most optimal decisions. I'm not sure if I want to get a better 5.1 system or if I want a more extensive (an expensive) Dolby Atmos System, which my TV and Xbox One X both support. The new receiver should at least support pass through of that and 4K and HDR signals (and there is more of those formats than you would think). I recently upgraded my speakers so I will just focus on the receiver first.

Concerns I have moving forward

• Streaming: My current Capture card, an Elgato HD60 pro not only does not capture at 4K or HDR, it does not even pass through thos signals to the TV, which means that when I want to stream games, I have to either play non 4K HDR games or sacrifice picture quality when I stream. One might think that the recently released Elgato 4Kpro capture card would be the answer. Unfortunately that card is almost $400 and it does not do HDR. Not that my internet can even support 4K streaming at this point anyway so I have to wait for a bunch of things to change or fiddle around with HDMI splitter / Down Scaler which does not come with guarantees but will cost some money. When I get to games like Ori and the Will of the Wisp I should have a workable solution to this problem ( I hope).
  • Playing Older Games with Up Scaler: Older games with my upscaler might be fixed when I get a better one (see the above sections for that) but it might not as we are talking about games originally rendered at 240P being up-converted to 4K through at least 2 layers of up conversion. At some point it stops looking good no matter how good the equipment is. Emulation might be the only way to go with playing retro games on this TV. Or using my plasma (which is still in my possession) might be a better answer but as it is, that TV is just being stored in a some what out of the way location. i have to figure out what I goning to do with the old TV before I do anything like that.
  • Watching DVDs: This one is more of the same with the old content being up-converted to this here 4K TV but I do have some DVDs that might look pretty bad in this manor. Thankfully regular Blu Rays look pretty good on it as 1080P source upcales to 4K pretty nicely. Thankfully my collection of DVD is not that big so it should not be that big of a deal.
frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Some of the (in theory) 4K content on Netflix doesn't seem like much of an upgrade over 1080p, but I'd suggest you try the 4K streaming for a month and watch Altered Carbon. It looks reaaaaally good.

jppt1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh lucky you. It does look great. Hope you like!

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

You didn't write what you think of the magical OLED-ness!

Congrats on your purchase. I'm rocking the 2016 version of this TV I think, which I imagine I got for around the same sale price you did. Was just looking yesterday and it's got a little over 3500 hours power-on time since I got it and still doing good. Love it! I've said it elsewhere on this site already but, IMO, OLED is a much more impressive feature than 4K or HDR. The black levels/contrast makes a huge difference.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm jealous. Unfortunately I bought my Samsung 55" when my old DLP gave out a few years ago. It's a great tv, and there is something about the 55" like yours that just works as a size.

But I would have loved to get an OLED. Congratulations.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I ordered one of these in November, but wound up canceling before it shipped out.

I still want an OLED but figured one more year would put it in the price range where I could buy it without feeling bad about it.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome. I'm getting one of those in a few weeks probably. Can't wait

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My 4k TV upgrade lasted roughly a month before finding out how bad those cheap claw stands are.

So uh, pay extra for a nice wide center base or wall mount.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By John1912

@gangway:

@mems1224 said:

Awesome. I'm getting one of those in a few weeks probably. Can't wait

I think thats my TV. Just know it was the C7 model. It has been a really great tv. No issues with the picture what so ever. Been using it as PC monitor/netflix viewing with heavy use. Bought it last summer. Paid $2300 for it, and seemed cheap vs other stores at the time for in store pick up. Know MSRP on LG website was higher. Either way under LG MSRP.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't forget to put your backlight to max for HDR content.

At least that's what you have to do with samsung 4K tvs

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Looks great! But... I see a center speaker, where are the left and right ones?

I'm still in 1080p world. Which, frankly, isn't bothering me all that much. I haven't even purchased anything that can take advantage of a 4K display. I have an old fat Xbox One and a PS4 Slim, neither of which can output 4K content and neither of which I play enough to justify upgrading. And my PC has a 970 in it, which is still holding up for 1080p gaming but couldn't handle 4K gaming. I'd upgrade, but graphics card prices are insane right now.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Awesome setup you got there! I opted for a 4k monitor over a tv, as most of my media consumption is in my office.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@gangway said:

• Streaming: My current Capture card, an Elgato HD60 pro not only does not capture at 4K or HDR, it does not even pass through thos signals to the TV, which means that when I want to stream games, I have to either play non 4K HDR games or sacrifice picture quality when I stream. One might think that the recently released Elgato 4Kpro capture card would be the answer. Unfortunately that card is almost $400 and it does not do HDR. Not that my internet can even support 4K streaming at this point anyway so I have to wait for a bunch of things to change or fiddle around with HDMI splitter / Down Scaler which does not come with guarantees but will cost some money. When I get to games like Ori and the Will of the Wisp I should have a workable solution to this problem ( I hope).

Congrats on the TV duder! I have two of the 55" LG OLEDs (B6 and C7) and they are both incredible. Just wanted to reply to this point because I was also looking at capture cards, and was bummed to see even the stupidly expensive 4k60 cards don't pass through HDR... I don't want to have to ever unplug a capture card just to play games optimally while not capturing, so I decided to pass on one. I presume there are HDMI 4k splitters that do HDR but I didn't do much searching.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@john1912: I'm excited. I wasn't expecting to get a 4k TV but my 1080p Vizio crapped out on me a few weeks ago so I figured I'd go relatively big on a new TV for once. Also helps that I have an xbonex and I want to see what all the hdr fuss is about

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Hell yeah, congrats! I think I'm going to move to 4K pretty soon. I'm still debating on whether to get the 55" or 65" version of that TV.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@gangway: I have the same tv. Performance wise it's great, but the remote irks me to no end. Still a minor complaint to an otherwise great tv.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can confirm that the pit of 4K textures for like Animal Crossing is a deep dark hole you should crawl right into

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I’ve been waiting for these to hit $1,300. I believe one did for a hot minute in November.

I’ve been eyeballing OLEDs as I don’t give a damn for 4k, but HDR is right up my alley and the OLED panel really brings out that color.

Enjoy it!

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Hey, I've got that same wooden shelf that your Xbox games are on. Congrats on the new TV, too.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NTM

I'm not sure if this is the same TV, but even if it isn't I'm sure the site has the TV. I'd check this if you're interested in calibrating your TV to get the best picture out of it. Also, your TV might be the best for gaming, but for HDR and just about everything else, there's only one TV that's perhaps better (at least from what that site is saying). Whatever though, that's probably a great TV regardless. I think the next TV I get will be what I think is considered the 'best budget 4K screen'. I am not looking to spend more than $1000 on a TV honestly. Plus, there's nothing that's really doing full 4K right now and I'm not sure I want a One X and I know I am not getting a PS4 Pro.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

Sweet TV man! Hope you enjoy it!