I hate cable companies in Canada

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RE_Player1

I'm a Rogers customer and at first I thought they were ok but now they have gone too far. A year ago I had to change my internet subscription because they downgraded my package which was like $35 from like 60gb to like 35gb. Now, just a month ago, I upgraded to a $60 package which allowed 95gb a month and just today I found out they downgraded that package to 80gb... Is it this bad in America and Europe too? Canadians do you feel my pain as well?

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

Why would they downgrade it? That's a dick move on their part. 

I'm not sure if Comcast is in Canada, but their internet service and cable service is complete garbage. Dial up works better than it.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By CL60

I have Eastlink. I have no problems.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By crusader8463

I havn't used rogers since 2004-2006 and I didn't have any problems with them back then. But what's this I keep hearing about bandwidth caps? I use Aliant and it's always been unlimited. Is this just something for the west coast?

megasoum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By megasoum

I am with Videotron... It costs me 65$ CAN per month to get 100gb (download/upload combined) and 30mbits/sec (I can easily download at 3.7MB/sec stable).

The speed is really good obviously but the down/up ratio is annoying. Even more now with things like Netflix coming to Canada and game's digital distribution getting bigger and bigger. You can go through 100gig really easily in a month.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Burns098356GX

Our home also uses Rogers and have recently run into problems. Turns out their idea of 'unlimited usage' ends at 20 gigs.

Wipeout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Wipeout

I'm with SaskTel, and there are no bandwidth caps.  However, they just got a new CEO so that might change.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RE_Player1
@Megasoum said:
" I am with Videotron... It costs me 65$ CAN per month to get 100gb (download/upload combined) and 30mbits/sec (I can easily download at 3.7MB/sec stable).  The speed is really good obviously but the down/up ratio is annoying. Even more now with things like Netflix coming to Canada and game's digital distribution getting bigger and bigger. You can go through 100gig really easily in a month. "
Where are you people and where are these companies?????? I must be fucking retarded because I've only heard of Telus, Bell, and Rogers. I live above Toronto, can I get these companies to give me internet?
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By crusader8463

I think Telus is Aliant. iirc they bought out Aliant a few years back but to keep people from getting confused they just called it Telus Aliant or Aliant Telus or some such thing here in New Brunswick.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Pinworm45

Yeah.. I'm actually looking for an ISP in the Ottawa (specifically Merivale) region. Bell and Rogers fucking suck, their duopoly is ridiculous. Anyone know of anything? 

I checked out EastLink but it didn't seem like that area was supported

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Want to know a secret ? All cable companies suck donkey dick. 

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Pinworm45
@bartok said:
" Want to know a secret ? All cable companies suck donkey dick.  "
Canada is one of the worst on the planet right now. It's really, really bad.
CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CoverlessTech
@crusader8463 said:
" I think Telus is Aliant. iirc they bought out Aliant a few years back but to keep people from getting confused they just called it Telus Aliant or Aliant Telus or some such thing here in New Brunswick. "
Bell bought Alient, not Telus. 

Also Alient is the best internet provider in Canada, to bad you have to live on the east cost to get it. One of the only ISPs I know of that have no cap.
ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By ISuperGamerI

Pro tip - that's why you don't get anything from Rogers and instead get your shit from Bell Canada.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pinworm45
@ISuperGamerI said:
" Pro tip - that's why you don't get anything from Rogers and instead get your shit from Bell Canada. "
Because bell is a lot better. 

Actually strike that, they ARE a lot better. But they're still god awful.
ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ISuperGamerI
@Pinworm45 said:

" @ISuperGamerI said:

" Pro tip - that's why you don't get anything from Rogers and instead get your shit from Bell Canada. "
Because bell is a lot better.  Actually strike that, they ARE a lot better. But they're still god awful. "
Exactly but they are still 10x better than Rogers in all aspects and they also have Satellite not some crappy cable box.
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Pinworm45

Internet in Canada still makes me depressed. 25 gigs for basically all services are you fucking serious? 

Especially after all the internet scandals, just makes me sick

MMkain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MMkain

The largest cable providers in Canada have an oligopoly, which is why the services they provide are not as competitive as those offered by US firms. Its like this for many industries in Canada because of how low our countries population density is.

Avatar image for tragicallyerock
TragicallyErock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TragicallyErock

@Wipeout said:

" I'm with SaskTel, and there are no bandwidth caps.  However, they just got a new CEO so that might change. "

why would a new CEO change this? The main reason to cap bandwidth is when they run into capacity troubles. Saskatchewan is a pretty spread-out population & each cabinet covers less than 1km. So it really doesn't serve all that many people when compared to out east. I don't think there's much worry about capacity for the customers they already have.

And if that DOES change one day, it will have more to do with increased population, or changes in HOW people use their internet (like more netflix type services).
Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Burns098356GX
@ISuperGamerI:  hello.
TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By TheHT
@RE_Player92 said:
" @Megasoum said:
" I am with Videotron... It costs me 65$ CAN per month to get 100gb (download/upload combined) and 30mbits/sec (I can easily download at 3.7MB/sec stable).  The speed is really good obviously but the down/up ratio is annoying. Even more now with things like Netflix coming to Canada and game's digital distribution getting bigger and bigger. You can go through 100gig really easily in a month. "
Where are you people and where are these companies?????? I must be fucking retarded because I've only heard of Telus, Bell, and Rogers. I live above Toronto, can I get these companies to give me internet? "
Yeah I've never heard of anything other than those three in Canada. I'll definitely check out this Aliant one though. No idea what my cap is but I download at 80kb/s highest and am constantly hearing about people downloading at multiple mb/s. :|
DrGanon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DrGanon

Canada isn't real.
RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RE_Player1
@DrGanon said:
" Canada isn't real. "

DrGanon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DrGanon

@RE_Player92:
Its true, your actually in north(er) dakota, the retarted younger sibling of north and south dakota.

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#25  Edited By vager

I'm with MTS and they have unlimited data. Though I pretty sure they are only in Manitoba. 
I used to be with Shaw. But they're bandwidth caps are annoying. I was suspended for a week for going over my cap 2 months in a row. They ended up giving me a tool to measure the amount of bandwidth i'm using per day, but it was too little, too late.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26  Edited By Suicrat

Netflix announces streaming service for Canada. Largest media network provider in Canada lowers bandwidth cap. Coincidence? I think not. Rogers isn't going to subsidize the delivery cost of Netflix's new service, since Netflix's service competes directly with Rogers on Demand. None of this should surprise anyone.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Pinworm45
@Suicrat said:
"  Rogers isn't going to subsidize the delivery cost of Netflix's new service, since Netflix's service competes directly with Rogers on Demand. None of this should surprise anyone. "
It doesn't have to surprise us, but it can still anger us and we can still think they're a pathetic company with poor ethics and business practice.
RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RE_Player1
@Suicrat said:
" Netflix announces streaming service for Canada. Largest media network provider in Canada lowers bandwidth cap. Coincidence? I think not. Rogers isn't going to subsidize the delivery cost of Netflix's new service, since Netflix's service competes directly with Rogers on Demand. None of this should surprise anyone. "
Never thought of that. You sir make a lot of sense. 
grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By grilledcheez

Well, here in America...they've been boosting our speeds without increasing prices, and we don't have to deal with caps (at least I don't :) )

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By warxsnake

I pay an average of 200$ extra per month with videotron 50mbps for me and my brother because we go over the tiny overage limit.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Suicrat
@Pinworm45 said:
" @Suicrat said:
"  Rogers isn't going to subsidize the delivery cost of Netflix's new service, since Netflix's service competes directly with Rogers on Demand. None of this should surprise anyone. "
It doesn't have to surprise us, but it can still anger us and we can still think they're a pathetic company with poor ethics and business practice. "
It's not poor ethics or poor business practice, it's not allowing a competitor free access to your infrastructure; it's also taking advantage of a captive market delivered to them by the CRTC.

Just get TekSavvy or one of the smaller ISPs and show the CRTC that Canadian media consumers are not afraid of independent companies.
illmatic19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By illmatic19

Bell has a usage insurance. You can pay them $5 extra for 40GB, $10 for 80GB or $15 for 120GB. It adds on to your usage plan.

I'm sure Rogers must have something similar.

Crixaliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Crixaliz

I  read that any telecom company that decides to start up in Canada has to rent the phone lines from either Bell or Rogers. A law set in place so that the skyline in Canada doesn't get ruined.

JoeyIA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JoeyIA

Yes, its that bad in America too.  The shitty thing is its all about location.  Like, when I lived in WI they had 2 cable providers, so at least there was a choice.  Where I live now, we have just 1, so fuck me.  Then, like 20 minutes south of me (in a smaller town within the same state) they have 3 options.  I really wanted to switch to Quest but they stop internet service almost 1 mile from my house... its re-*sigh*.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By mosespippy
@natetodamax said:
" Why would they downgrade it? 
They announced the downgrades 2 days after the announcement that netflix streaming is coming to Canada in the fall. Rogers is also a video rental store with plans for a video streaming service.
megasoum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By megasoum
@RE_Player92 said:
" @Megasoum said:
Where are you people and where are these companies?????? I must be fucking retarded because I've only heard of Telus, Bell, and Rogers. I live above Toronto, can I get these companies to give me internet? "
As far as I know, Videotron is only in Quebec. It's is hella big tho... I don't know the exact numbers but you pretty much only have a choice between Bell and Videotron here. There is a couple of small DSL ISPs but they are renting lines from Bell so in the end it's the same thing. Videotron is owned by Quebecor which is a really big empire owning a bunch of tv channels, newspapers, magazines, ISP, phone company, etc... 

I always saw Videotron a bit as the "Rogers of Quebec" since we don't have Rogers here and there is a lot of similar things between the two companies but as far as I know there is no actual link between the two. 

Personally I never really had any problems with them (I'm on the cable internet since 1998) but like with any other companies, I've head ton of horror stories.
mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By mosespippy
@Suicrat said:
Just get TekSavvy or one of the smaller ISPs and show the CRTC that Canadian media consumers are not afraid of independent companies. "
That doesn't really work since all the smaller indie internet companies rent their infrastructure from Bell-Alliant. The CRTC has said Bell-Alliant can limit the speeds of anyone on it's network, even the customers of their customers. That is why none of the "indie" ISPs can offer massive caps anymore. Bell-Alliant is imposing their caps. It's one of the reasons a lot of people want the CRTC abolished. 
Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jrad

I'm with Eastlink -- their packages are kind of messed up. Their 15mbps package doesn't have a bandwidth limit, but the ones above do. I was going to get 100mbps internet, but their transfer cap is 250GB/month which completely defeats the purpose of having fast internet in the first place.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Suicrat
@mosespippy: I'd be one of the people in that boat, but the Harper government does not have the balls to dismantle the CRTC. Any attempt to change how the CRTC operates would trigger a non-confidence motion and precipitous elections.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By crusader8463
@DrGanon said:
" Canada isn't real. "
@DrGanon said:
"

@RE_Player92:
Its true, your actually in north(er) dakota, the retarted younger sibling of north and south dakota.

"
Hahahahaha, and they can't figure out why everyone hates them so much.
ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ahriman22
@Megasoum: Wat, we have rogers in Quebec, what are you talking about? Not that they're any good, I hate Rogers and videotron is so... French and a bigger rip-off compared to Bell. I have a 75G limit but so far I've only gone over it once.
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Pinworm45
@Fragstoff said:
" @RE_Player92: Rogers sucks for capping 
im sticking with sympatico DSL, terrible customer service, but no bandwidth caps and its generally as fast as cable (gaming there is no difference)  
Sympatico has a cap of 25 gigs unless you're on a contract from their now non-existent Unlimited service, like my lucky ass father.
megasoum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By megasoum
@ahriman22 said:
" @Megasoum: Wat, we have rogers in Quebec, what are you talking about? Not that they're any good, I hate Rogers and videotron is so... French and a bigger rip-off compared to Bell. I have a 75G limit but so far I've only gone over it once. "
Oh we do have internet with Rogers now? Didn't knew that. I thought it was just for cell phones in Quebec.
iKANNIBAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By iKANNIBAL

I wouldn't know, i was only in Canada up to age 5, i was far too young to internetz but from the complaints i'm hearing thank jeebus i havn't experienced it!

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Mercy_

Fix

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By scarace360
@Pinworm45 said:
" @Fragstoff said:
" @RE_Player92: Rogers sucks for capping 
im sticking with sympatico DSL, terrible customer service, but no bandwidth caps and its generally as fast as cable (gaming there is no difference)  
Sympatico has a cap of 25 gigs unless you're on a contract from their now non-existent Unlimited service, like my lucky ass father. "

i feel super lucky then cause i have one of those unlimited plans and its fucking awesome.
fRAWRst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By fRAWRst

Have a 95 gig monthly limit, regularly go over it. End up spending an extra 30 dollars. 

Hate rogers so much.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By toowalrus

I've got Charter here in the states. It's good most of the time... But sometimes resets for no reason. No bandwidth cap though, so that's good. Bandwidth caps are garbage.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#49  Edited By Geno

New bill just passed in Canada where ISPs get even more control over how much users can use. Caps and speeds were decreased for many ISPs.  

Network infrastructure is perhaps the only sector in the computer industry that goes backwards

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By thedj93
@fRAWRst: if you call tech support and threaten to leave and switch to bell or something else, they will do anything to keep you. My bandwidth cap is alot higher now, though they don't tell me how high it actually is, the sneaky bastards. I guess some money is better than no money