I Have Terrible Taste! Awful Things You Like Thread

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

I miss the Unpopular Opinion thread but like everything else it was tainted by #Gamergate and ruined beyond saving. So to differentiate this thread from the old Unpopular Opinion one I decided to change the premise a bit to things you know are awful but you like anyway. Stuff like terrible movies, music, video games, and what not.

Please stay away from anything intentionally controversial like religion, politics, and of course fucking Gamergate.

Here are some horrible things I like -

I love Blink-182. I loved them in the 90's and they still make the rotation on my itunes. Hell I even saw them twice during their big reunion tour. I know they are just a dumb pop-punk band but I think their music is catchy and their up tempo songs are great as part of my workout mix.

I still watch The Simpsons. This is a weird one because I don't really like the show anymore but I am just fascinated at how far the quality will dip before it is finally cancelled. I also secretly hold out hope that The Simpsons will eventually turn it around and return to their former glory.

Finally as a kid I liked E.T. for the Atari 2600. My first video game experiences were on my mom's old Atari 2600 and I remember enjoying the worst game ever made, E.T. To me it was just a fun game about avoiding the FBI and falling down random pits to find phone pieces so you could phone home. Even playing it as recently as 5 years ago I never found the game so egregious that it would nearly kill the video game industry and deserve to buried in a New Mexico landfill.

Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 25

I still really really like every Final Fantasy that comes out. Yes, including the FFXIII trilogy.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I like Kingdom hearts. The first and second game specifically. I know they're full of bullshit, but they're just delightful to me. The gameplay isn't the deepest, and the narrative is awful, but I find it so damn charming that I don't care. They're just dumb fun and I can't wait for 3.

I also like Lost, despite it's many shortcomings. I came to the show long after it finished and knew that it got bad in the later seasons, so my expectations were set pretty low. I just enjoyed the ride, right to the very strange end.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Blink-182 is not bad

I like the Kamen Rider Battride War games even though they are objectively bad Dynasty Warriors clones.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I like Velveeta "cheese" a whole lot.

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By cerberus3dog

I... like Nickelback.

Star Fox Adventures is a good game, on the edge of greatness. I loved every minute of playing catch with my dinosaur buddy. And then, he would fucking EVOLVE, right in front of you. So awesome!

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lelcar said:

I still really really like every Final Fantasy that comes out. Yes, including the FFXIII trilogy.

I actually enjoyed my time with 13, and I'd probably like the other two sequels if I tried to play them.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

@bartok said:

I love Blink-182. I loved them in the 90's and they still make the rotation on my itunes. Hell I even saw them twice during their big reunion tour. I know they are just a dumb pop-punk band but I think their music is catchy and their up tempo songs are great as part of my workout mix.

Hey, me too! A lot of their lyrics are pretty eye-rolly at this point in my life, but I can still get down to that stuff.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I.. I think Akira Yamaoka's iFUTURELIST is an amazing album, that is really really bad, but man do I love almost every track to death.. oh man. I can't even, it's so bad, but it's so good.

Loading Video...

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I really like the album Trans by Neil Young. Nobody likes that album. Die-hard Neil Young fans don't like it. I don't even think Neil Young likes it, but I like it a whole bunch.

As far as video games go my unpopular opinions are all about great games I dislike, which isn't a positive line of thinking at all.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

This seems awfully close to the long-running "Unpopular Opinions Thread" that was finally locked by the moderators a month or two ago.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest is awesome. It's terrible, and one of the easiest games I've ever played, but fucking-A it's great

I'll admit that a lot of brutal death metal is just immature, misogynistic, dreadfully composed garbage. But man, you go to a Defeated Sanity or Devourment show and try to act chill in that atmosphere. I've never had more fun than going to see a bunch of terrible NYDM bands open for Dying Fetus a few years ago. So much fun, even though a ton of the people in that scene are the worst human beings possible. Glad that the majority of the musicians involved are just normal dudes, but the fans can be dumpster dwelling anti-humans.

@geirr said:

I.. I think Akira Yamaoka's iFUTURELIST is an amazing album, that is really really bad, but man do I love almost every track to death.. oh man. I can't even, it's so bad, but it's so good.

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

This fucking album rules

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest is awesome. It's terrible, and one of the easiest games I've ever played, but fucking-A it's great

I

That game has a soundtrack that is better than it has any right to be.

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ltsmash

I like Tremors 2. Maybe more than Tremors. Less Kevin Bacon and Reba McEntire and more Fred Ward and Michael Gross was an improvement.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ltsmash said:

I like Tremors 2. Maybe more than Tremors. Less Kevin Bacon and Reba McEntire and more Fred Ward and Michael Gross was an improvement.

What?! Thats not awful taste thats good taste, i think Tremors 2 is the best of the series.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the George Clooney Batman movies. I even know that they're horrible and dumb and incredibly stupid, but I get some kind of pleasure out of the sheer ridiculousness of those movies and enjoy laughing at them the entire way through.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rebirth of Unpopular Opinions??? Hopefully this doesn't get shut down!

I really enjoyed my time with Brink.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I... like Nickelback.

Star Fox Adventures is a good game, on the edge of greatness. I loved every minute of playing catch with my dinosaur buddy. And then, he would fucking EVOLVE, right in front of you. So awesome!

Star Fox Adventures was fantastic. Loved every bit of that game except at the end when the game gives you the biggest middle finger when you finally get ready for the showdown with General Scales and before anything can even happen Andross comes out of fucking nowhere and kills Scales. Goddamn that was hot bullshit.

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed Brink. You heard me!

ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MY MAN! HIGH FIVE!

Avatar image for thebluthcompany
TheBluthCompany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon Age 2 is a really good game with some minor flaws.

COME AT ME BRO.

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon Age 2 is a really good game with some minor flaws.

COME AT ME BRO.

Dragon Age 2 is probably my favorite game of all time. I GOT YOUR BACK DAWG.

Avatar image for thebluthcompany
TheBluthCompany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought Duke Nukem Forever was fun.

I enjoyed Crackdown 2 more than the original.

Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@ethanielrain: IT'S US AGAINST THE WORLD.

I love Dragon Age 2 as well. I really liked the Slice of Life, living-in-a-town feel to it.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm trying hard to think of something, but nah, I've got impeccable taste.

Wait. Sexy Parodius is one of my favorite arcade games ever. The music is perfect. It's mostly manic, remixed classical and kid's tunes. Super freaking Japanese.

Loading Video...
veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Some people tell me the original Rollerball is a terrible movie. If that's true, I have bad taste.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cerberus3dog said:

I... like Nickelback.

Star Fox Adventures was fantastic. Loved every bit of that game except at the end when the game gives you the biggest middle finger when you finally get ready for the showdown with General Scales and before anything can even happen Andross comes out of fucking nowhere and kills Scales. Goddamn that was hot bullshit.

Loved Star Fox Adventures. That ending was ridiculous, but I think I appreciated that on some level. Some cool music in that game too.

Loading Video...
FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeeeeeesus christ. You guys are listing stuff like Lost, Kingdom Hearts, Starfox Adventures, etc....

Guys. Do you actually think these things qualify as sort of guilty pleasures? There are much worse things to say. I'm surprised at some of the responses here.

I'll go ahead and put these out there for me- Spiderman 3, X:Men the last stand, Men in Black 2, The Amazing Spiderman 2, and Halloween 4.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By chrissedoff

I think Starship's We Built This City is a great song in spite of its reputation as being the worst ever. The Muppets proved it's a good song, but I'm not sure if everyone was convinced of that fact.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

This seems awfully close to the long-running "Unpopular Opinions Thread" that was finally locked by the moderators a month or two ago.

Do you remember why that got locked? I didn't post in it much but it was fun to read. If it was two months ago it probably devolved into a thread about gamergate or sexism or something...

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

I still read the manga Bleach on a weekly basis.

I thought that Metallica's album "Load" was great, and King Nothing is a contender for my favorite Metallica song.

Dragon Age II wasn't perfect by a long shot, but I enjoyed it quite a bit when I played it earlier this year, perhaps because I lowered my expectation after years of hearing people how it didn't live up to Origins.

Hm, that covers books, music and games. Still need movies/television...

Oh, I did watch a good bit of Storage Wars for a time while I was in college. Don't really watch it anymore because I don't watch much TV at home, but I think I could still watch it on occasion and not be turned off by it.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lelcar said:

@thebluthcompany said:

@ethanielrain: IT'S US AGAINST THE WORLD.

I love Dragon Age 2 as well. I really liked the Slice of Life, living-in-a-town feel to it.

Despite the flaws, I love 2 just as much as Origins. I'm happy to go down with this ship.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Almost everything Idea Factory, Compile Heart, NIS, GUST, and that general group of developers have put out this generation. Those games are fucked...but under all the bullshit, there's always a couple of really fucking good ideas that make me absolutely love all of those games.

Also, does the DOA5 dlc count?...because it probably should. And I bought a lot of it.

And last, but certainly not least:

No Caption Provided

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei - There is so much wrong with this show. J-just...so much and it all stems from the most fucking overpowered character of all time. But god-fucking-dammit, it's still legitimately one of my favorite shows to air this year. I had so much fun watching this series. That same character that kinda ruins the show makes it totally worth watching because it's soooooooo unapologetically absurd in the best way possible and I fucking love it.

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pro Wrestling

The Mighty Ducks Movies

Rewatching the Power Rangers

Kingdom Hearts

Dear god even just writing this list makes me feel like an awful person. There may be a few more to, but those are the few that I have the hardest of times arguing a defense other than just...nostalgia.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm an American who gets super obsessed with Big Brother UK every summer. I watch all 70+ episodes. It's a hell of a thing.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fateofnever: There's only one Clooney Batman movie. The previous Schumacher installment starred Val Kilmer. If you're such a huge fan, you oughta realize this.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#39 fisk0  Moderator
fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#40 fisk0  Moderator

@freshbandito said:

MY MAN! HIGH FIVE!

I kinda did too. It certainly was more effective than Titanfall at trying to integrate a narrative driven campaign into the multiplayer.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

I actually really enjoyed playing through Two Worlds.

lachrymoses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By lachrymoses

Two Worlds was just so broken and bad and amazing. It was both hilariously awful and extremely entertaining. Everything from the voice acting to the gameplay to the mechanics and glitches, god I love Two Worlds.

Also, The F Plus podcast. It is a great podcast that deals with terrible subject matter.

CrimsonJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By CrimsonJesus

I think Chakan: The Forever Man is a top 5 Genesis game.

I also think Nightmare of You's S/T album is amazing, here's a sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN2uQ6Q-7TY

ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toowalrus: It devolved more into a "I hate this thing that everyone likes" instead of "I like this thing that most don't"

Mods said that it was too much effort deleting the venom filled posts.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:

Blink-182 is not bad

I like the Kamen Rider Battride War games even though they are objectively bad Dynasty Warriors clones.

You know what, I totally fucking agree. They actually have some songs with lyrics that I can identify with, and that are pretty great.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is cool, it's like the unpopular opinions thread but with a more positive focus. I totally dig that.

I actually really like the Minority Report game, you can use your crazy martial arts moves to pick dudes up and ragdoll their asses out of windows that are way to high up for any of them to survive the fall. There is even a cheat code to make the rag doll even more ragdollish.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

I adored Star Fox Adventures, did I live under or a rock or something? Did that game get shat on at release?