I'm losing my job. how fantastic.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By Devil240Z

I found out about a week ago that the store where I work is being closed down meaning that myself and all my co-workers will be losing our jobs. since I am not full time (not that I don't want to be) I am not entitled to a severance package. so basically i'm screwed. I thought I could ride this shitty retail job for a few years... but I guess I cant now.. this shit just kinda sucks. since I moved out of my parents place and whatnot. now I'm supposed to pay rent how the fuck now? god damn it.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's really unfortunate. I'm guessing you don't have much savings yet; so, that likely won't help you bridge the gap in employment. For the moment, though, my best advice would be to try to get another job as soon as possible. There's not much else you can do when you're suddenly out of work but still have bills coming up.

Good luck with it, man.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Time to get a new shitty part time retail job then ;)

Seriously though it's a bummer, hope you figure it out quickly.

Scampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Would it be tasteless to make a joke about starting a music career?

Seriusly though, best of of luck.

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buy tomorrows paper, check the classifieds.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5  Edited By PandaBear

You've come to the right place for career and life advice...

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Burn down the building.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

If you hate it so much anyway, why aren't you looking for a new job?

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

The good news for you is that soon retail stores will be staffing up for the holiday season.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By zeforgotten

The only solution is start looking for whatever job now.
Right now, not surfing forums or talking about video games or feeling sorry for yourself(though it does suck)

The longer you go without a job the faster you'll get kicked out of your apartment for not paying rent.

SleazyWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SleazyWizard

You know, I saw on craigslist you can make hundreds of dollars a day working part-time from home!

... but really I know how much unemployment can suck in this job market. Devote all your time to job hunting and take what you can get, then hope your employer gives you enough pay and/or hours to live on. I work custodial at the moment and it sucks, but it's better then being broke.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@erhard said:

Burn down the building.

yeah, don't do that.

J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's rough..the good news is I just got a promotion. Pay rise and everything. See it's not all bad. Swings and roundabouts.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devil240z: try applying here and here bro

stay strong, just try to go back ride it out with your parents, till you get back on your feet.

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@mrfluke said:

stay strong, just try to go back ride it out with your parents, till you get back on your feet.

Do you have any experience with either of those companies? I'm looking for work and sit in front of my computer doing nothing most of the day anyway. At first glance, being an "independent contractor" kind of sounds like some way to get around paying minimum wage but glassdoor reviews don't have any complaints about the pay.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

Do you have any experience with either of those companies? I'm looking for work and sit in front of my computer doing nothing most of the day anyway. At first glance, being an "independent contractor" kind of sounds like some way to get around paying minimum wage but glassdoor reviews don't have any complaints about the pay.

gonna PM you details.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

Those look like those fake online job things that require you to buy some program first and all ways have fake pictures of checks all over it.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

Those look like those fake online job things that require you to buy some program first and all ways have fake pictures of checks all over it.

i work for both those companies for almost 2 years at this point, its very legit.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@mrfluke said:

i work for both those companies for almost 2 years at this point, its very legit.

What exactly do they do? If it is legit I would love a little extra money at the end of the week.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@mrfluke said:

What exactly do they do? If it is legit I would love a little extra money at the end of the week.

not to get all tinfoil on you here, but im not really allowed to publicly talk about what we do specifically.

but ill generally say we are basically mods for a certain search engine.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@mrfluke said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@mrfluke said:

not to get all tinfoil on you here, but im not really allowed to publicly talk about what we do specifically.

Huh...Well I have zero experience in this stuff so maybe its not worth it.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found out about a week ago that the store where I work is being closed down meaning that myself and all my co-workers will be losing our jobs. since I am not full time (not that I don't want to be) I am not entitled to a severance package. so basically i'm screwed. I thought I could ride this shitty retail job for a few years... but I guess I cant now.. this shit just kinda sucks. since I moved out of my parents place and whatnot. now I'm supposed to pay rent how the fuck now? god damn it.

At the risk of sounding like a jerk, maybe this is a good thing. I mean, I know how badly it sucks right now, trust me. But "riding a bad job" for a few years might not have been the best option and this may force you to have to reconsider investing in your future. Trust me, I'm someone who started investing in my future too late, and I wish I had done something different. I mean, I'm alright. I hope my future is still bright, but it's not as bright as it could have been if I had started applying myself earlier.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I feel for you. Close to three years ago, I was laid off from my job just as my employer had begun circling the financial toilet. They went completely under about five months later, which coincidentally was the amount of time it took me to find a new job. I was fortunate, in that I was hired into a position by a company that is far and away better than my previous employer in every way I can think. I hope you have similar fortune.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Interesting story SecularBaron! I hear that Sally makes 900 salty bucks an hour just sitting in front of her computer. Just last week, I bought a Vinco Electromagnetic Arcade lifter. When I saw the paycheck for a three hundred thousand Brad bucks, I was surprised! Find out more at www.giantbomb.ru. ♫♫♫♫♫♫

Really though, that sucks. Did you do sales at your retail job? Or was it warehouse stuff, or what? With the holiday season ramping up, you can snag a sales job anywhere. If you were doing warehouse stuff, I'm sure UPS/FedEx are ramping up for the holiday season as well. Start applying yesterday. The sooner you get hired, the sooner you don't have to worry about the immediate future. The moment you stop working, you stop getting paid, and unless you have six months worth of finances saved away, I imagine you'll start to get real stressed real fast.

Look at it as a sign. You were riding out a job you didn't want (And I'm assuming didn't pay well, being retail.) You were doing this for years; it could have dead ended you. Perhaps use this time to reinvent yourself. Move back home. Go back to school. Learn a new skill. Expand yourself. If you're worried people will look down at you for moving back home, they're probably not going to be too impressed with your studio apartment and baked beans meal plan, either. Screw em. Do what's best for yourself.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Solh0und

I know how it is man. I recently lost my job and the 3 weeks I was unemployed was rough. Bills come around the corner, I can't renew some stuff that needs renewing, and things I had planned will likely have to be pushed back.

I would say personally, find a new job ASAP. If you wait, you'll likely miss something good.

nevalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By nevalis

While it sucks to know your job is going to to end, you are fortunate to know it's coming. While riding out your current employment (and still getting paid), it would be beneficial to:

1. Update your resume
  2. Start scouring job sites, craiglist, or other retailers (who are ramping up hiring for holiday season)
  3. Prepare to file for unemployment (this you do not want to wait on when you're officially qualified for it as it takes a few weeks to kick in)
  4. Evaluate your financial situation and see where cuts can be made to minimize the bleeding and decide what your last resort would be if you cannot find employment quickly.

I had to do all of the above and also figure out health insurance for my baby without any notice around 3 months ago when I was terminated from my job of nearly 5 years. It was the worst 2 weeks of my life trying to race against the mortgage payment clock, and even after finding another job and typing this post, the experience will bother me for quite some time.

Your situation isn't good, but it could be much worse, and even what I had to go through isn't as bad as many others. Just look at it as an opportunity to find something better, and make the most of your pending termination, so you can bounce back quicker.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devil240z: You could always get another shitty minimum wage job and work that until you find one that does not suck as bad. Remember, you are owed your pay, no matter how you left your job.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@mrfluke said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@mrfluke said:

I'm sure you mean well, but this sounds shady as f*ck. ha. I mean, not allowed to publicly talk about what you do? Unless you're CIA, I don't see why any job needs to be that secretive.

judgejudy72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That sucks man, hope things go better for you in the future.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mrfluke

@mrfluke said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@mrfluke said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@mrfluke said:

I'm sure you mean well, but this sounds shady as f*ck. ha. I mean, not allowed to publicly talk about what you do? Unless you're CIA, I don't see why any job needs to be that secretive.

lol truthtellah back to telling the truth again!,

i agree!, and i get your perspective!,

but man, my job revolves around a certain search engine, and just like the mods here, we mods have our corner of the job site to chat, and we heard someone leaked said info on a message board like this, and they lost their job.

so yea. kinda being a bit tinfoil in regards to what i can say.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like you had a really crappy job though, so go out and do something you actually want to do. Worked for me.