I owe Ryan (and the crew) my life...

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Edited By jakob187

It's always weird when someone who inspired you but you never personally met passes away. You feel this crushing blow, like someone jammed their fist at full velocity to your solar plexus and took all of the wind from you. There's that first tinge of "this is unbelievable," and in Ryan's case particularly, it's going to be hard to believe because he was a funnyman, prankster, and always finding a way to troll someone.

This is no troll. It's reality.

Upon hearing the news of Ryan's passing, there was this sense of profound sadness, and my friends said "why are you crying about this?" I didn't expect any of them to understand, and I don't honestly expect any of you to understand either. However, if it wasn't for Ryan and the crew, I wouldn't be where I am today.

I've said it a few times before, and whether people noticed or not is besides the point. I used to run an independent game site called BonusStage. My buddy John Pippin was writing at another site, but he freelanced at BonusStage. He knew how often I would sit around on Gamespot, soaking in all the content. He and I would sit around and talk about game reviews, and without fail, we would somehow always land on the same topic by the end of the night: how these guys over at Gamespot...Jeff, Ryan, Brad, Greg, Rich, Alex...were changing the way gaming journalism worked. When the opportunity to join BonusStage arose, I was quick to take it. My ultimate goal was to, maybe someday, work at Gamespot alongside these guys that inspired me to do this. Moreover, it was their enthusiasm for games that really made me love games far more than I did before.

Ryan, in particular, was someone that I found myself drawn to more than the rest. He was upfront and honest, brutal with his words but understanding of a situation. He was always the first to call out bullshit and put it all in proper perspective. He was someone who, if in any other body, people would hate and loathe. However, there was a sincerity, an honesty, a caring to him that made it all work. He was an asshole that people liked.

That last paragraph I wrote also describes me. It was refreshing to find someone who shared not only some of my personality traits, but also loved the same hobby. In turn, I started writing game reviews. I did that for about three years, but the world of independent gaming websites in an industry monolithed by giant sites like GameSpy, Gamespot, IGN, and multiple others didn't have much of a chance. It was shut down, and I had to figure out what was next for me.

Luckily, I had at one point interviewed the owners of a local LAN gaming center for an article on iGames-related gaming centers. I began frequenting the store as a regular customer. Shortly after a job I was working ended, those same guys that I interviewed asked if I wanted a full-time job with them.

I have remained at that job since that day. It's been seven years now. Within that time, Gerstmanngate happened, Arrow Pointing Down podcast happened, and Giant Bomb was born. These are things that I followed closely. Since Giant Bomb was created, I have felt at home here. It's a place where the community watches out for each other, the staff aren't just some faces that we know the names of, and in general, we're a family.

If it wasn't for Ryan, I wouldn't have started writing about games. If I hadn't written about games, I may not have gotten the job that I've had for the last seven years. If it wasn't for Ryan, I'd probably be stuck in a cubicle asking for medical records from doctors and hospitals, working a boring ass 9-5, and being unhappy in life.

His death is truly profound for me. I'm 31. I'm three years younger than he was. It's an eye-opening experience when someone close to your age dies.

Thank you, Ryan. Your confidence, charisma, sincerity, and jackassery will be so sorely missed by so many. Personally, thank you for showing me...beyond your gaming persona...that life is weird, so be weird in it.

My condolences to Anna, Jeff, Brad, Vinny, Alex, Drew, Dave, and all of those affected by this loss.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#1  Edited By lordofultima

I was in disbelief for about 30 minutes and then just broke down in tears. I really feel like I've lost my best friend today...Fuck Ryan Davis. Fuck you for being the best.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lordofultima: I probably did the most internet searching I've ever done within a ten minute period trying to debunk it. What's weird is that it was one of Alex's tweets that made me realize that it was real.

What's worse is that I've actually thought about this before. I've thought about "what if one of these guys died?" This community has an attachment beyond any community I can imagine. Therefore, yeah...if one of them passes, it's like an uncle passing. It fucking gut-punches you. I couldn't even begin to imagine what it's like at the office...or out of the office most likely.

You're right: fuck Ryan Davis for being so fucking awesome.

Willza92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@jakob187: which Alex tweet was it that had it sink in for you? For me, it was Sessler talking about how he was in Russia and just the heard the news, up until that point, I was pretty sure it was a fucked up prank.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By ProfessorEss

I feel very much the way I did when MCA died. I've never even interacted with the man but like Yaugh I've been following him for a big chunk of my life and like Yaugh his voice is burned in my mind and wow, never hearing his voice again. Just wow.

And I'll never forget seeing that Paul's Boutique on the top of his vinyl stack.

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It is absolutely gut-wrenching. I couldn't believe it at first, actually I don't think it's sunk in yet for me. The gaming world won't be the same without Ryan. These guys have been part of my life for years now too, and loosing one of them is devastating. Such a great man.

Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Vrikk

Im stilling waiting this out like its some huge joke. Like Ryan will show up and be like "boom! Got you! I'm married! What's up?!"

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

A very nice post. Whenever an actor passed away or someone famous passed away and people grieved I never really understood why, you never knew them so why does it effect you? Now I understand how all those fans felt. I wasn't one of the original posters on Giantbomb (I've only been here for around 2 years) but I feel a connection with the crew as much as everyone else here and I am deeply saddened by the loss of Ryan.

Haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Don't worry, I understand. I've been unable to focus on anything else ever since the news broke. Although you and I might not have known him personally, it certainly feels that way if you've been following their work for years. It's hard to deal with. It makes it even harder when he was such a fun and easily loveable guy... he's going to be greatly missed.

I've been here watching videos of him on YouTube for an hour now and looking at everyone reacting on Twitter. His impact is huge, the fact that he was trending WW on Twitter and the news of his death was the most upvoted thing on Reddit speaks volumes of his work for the industry.

RIP Ryan "Taswell" Davis.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#9 FinalDasa  Moderator

I found GB through iTunes and the GiantBombcast. Literally the first content I consumed from Giant Bomb was Ryan Davis welcoming to the show. I was hooked instantly and became a user not much long afterwards.

Now I'm the community manager of Screened somehow. If it weren't for this website, and a huge part of this website is Ryan's enthusiasm, I wouldn't be working right now. So I understand your feelings completely.

Thanks for writing this. I know the feeling when those around you don't get why you're grieving over an internet personality passing.

Brake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@jakob187 said:

"what if one of these guys died?"

I've actually thought about this before, too. But I always figured it would be like 30 years from now and GB wouldn't be around anymore and I'd be off doing something else, then something like this would make me look back on all the good times I had following these guys do dumb stuff on the internet. This is way too fucking soon, man.

a_randay92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beautifully written.

I'm a really new member of GiantBomb and only joined the site this year from some recommendations from another gaming site/community I'm apart of called EpicBattleAxe. Many members constantly shared material from GiantBomb and I loved all of it. Those Giant Bombcasts, and especially the E3 2013 liveshows were some of the best times I have had listening to anything on the internet about games. Even though it's really been a short amount of time that I have listened to Giant Bomb and Ryan Davis, it feels like I lost a friend. I can't imagine how you long time listeners feel, let alone his friends, the entire Giant Bomb crew, and his family. The gaming industry has lost someone really special today.

We all miss you Ryan.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By armaan8014

@vrikk said:

Im stilling waiting this out like its some huge joke. Like Ryan will show up and be like "boom! Got you! I'm married! What's up?!"

Man... I wish. Its 1 am here now and I should be getting to sleep but I just can't. I really wish this wasn't happening

BoZZ0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By BoZZ0

Well i'm a new member in the Giantbomb community. But i have been lisining to GBcast for 5 years and ryan always made me laugh and forget about stuff in my life for a few hours a week and when i got the news today i started crying so much and i have not even met him but he has been a part of my life for the last 5 years and for that i will always be grateful.

GB will never ever be the same ;(

RIP

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By RHCPfan24

Thanks for this, jakob. I indeed remember the early days, when you were staking your spot in the GB community, which you hold to this day. Ryan attracted so many of us to this site, with his candid, sincere, infectiously funny look at video games and the culture surrounding it. How anyone could be familiar with Ryan's writing and, above all, his voice and not be inspired is beyond me. He will be greatly missed.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I too shed a few tears. I went to the store this morning and on my there and back I listened to an old bombcast episode (from July 2010, not that it matters). Ryan said something that cracked me up and like so many times before I wondered how weird it looks when I do that in public, just suddenly laughing at something no one around me can hear.

Knowing that I will never hear him saying "Hello everybody it's Tuesday!" with all that excitement in his voice again is breaking my heart. No matter how bad the day was, no matter if I felt down or not, the bombcast made me forget everything else and always managed to either cheer me up or to sustain my good mood. Just a couple of dudes talking about how awesome videogames are.

And while I truly hope that this won't go away, a very important part is missing from now on and can never be replaced.

Great write-up dude, I understand why you are feeling that way and while I know that there is a thread for this I just want to leave this here because it put a smile on my face even now...

Loading Video...

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willza92 said:

@jakob187: which Alex tweet was it that had it sink in for you? For me, it was Sessler talking about how he was in Russia and just the heard the news, up until that point, I was pretty sure it was a fucked up prank.

It was the one where he said he thought it was a prank but that it was "terribly, horribly real."

Meanwhile, on Twitter, Johnny V had me bust out in tears again. Goddammit, Johnny V.

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had never heard of Ryan until arrow pointing down. Since that very moment....the first one I've been hooked on his views. I...I don't know. It's been all day. It will be forever...which prior to this I thought was much longer. So many quiet drives...I feel for Jeff. Sorry. Can't deal with this.

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TehBuLL

I had never heard of Ryan until arrow pointing down. Since that very moment....the first one I've been hooked on his views. I...I don't know. It's been all day. It will be forever...which prior to this I thought was much longer. So many quiet drives...I feel for Jeff. Sorry. Can't deal with this.