I see your overrated games, but what are some UNDERRATED gems?

• 124 results
Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BestUsernameEver

I liked the list people were making over in the overrated games thread. It's nice to know I am not crazy (or at least a little less crazy) for just not getting some of the huge titles. Halo of course is on people's shortlist, but I am not trolling, I seriously don't know why A: people think it's fun, it feels just like a shooting gallery to me with no real substance, and B: why they take the franchise seriously, when there is so little to chew on, no interesting enemies, completely uninspired lead character, and flat sci fi art. I have to admit though, Halo reach looked vissually stunning, I didn't play all of it to see if it's action held up, but man, no one talks about how good that games looks, odd.

ANYWAY, this isn't about that, this thread is to give credit where credits due, what are some of your favorite games that are barely on people's radar? I have a few, but they aren't totally unknown nor hated, just sort of lonely.

Trackmania 2: Canyon

No Caption Provided

I played the free trackmania back in 2008, I can't exactly remember the name of it, and that's exactly my point, I played it and loved it, but sort of faded away and I had no real interest to play it ever again. Well when trackmania 2 canyon came out around this time last year, for some reason I thought it looked leagues better, maybe because the handling looked sane from the trailers. So I picked it up and within a month I was straight up baffled that not many people were singing the praises of this game. This title is like an arcade racer with a core approach, and it was simply FUN. More fun than any arcade 'racer' I ever played before, and I'd say I've played some fantastic arcade racing games in the past. Not only that, but this game is doing something hugely unique, a time trial game that works on your schedule, and none of the pressure if someone is going faster than you, it's all about lap times, not lapping eachother. So it's sad to know very few players are in my home nation of U.S., it's completely unknown here outside of the inner gaming circles. Sad.

Mortal Kombat 9

No Caption Provided

I know what you're saying, "but MK9 was praised by gamers and critics alike." True, but this is an underrated thread, I don't think this game has the praise it deserves even at that high level. Seriously, this is my favorite fighting game of all time, and yet if you watch some fighting tournaments, some people still hold their nose above the title and scoff. Sure some of that comes from how childish it is, but surely you'd think a fighting game player in a tournament would understand how superb it is. I don't know, I think this is the best game of 2011.

Grand theft auto 4

No Caption Provided

Yeah, this game got 10's everywhere and sold like peanut butter sandwiches, but it almost seems cool to hate it now. What's up with that? It had a really interesting angle with the story and the engine is still my favorite for a sandbox game. It came down to substance and I think this was a hearty serving, and yet people shudder when someone talks highly of it. Sure it didn't have jetpacks or flame throwers, but that's what made it more enjoyable to me, when I did something crazy, it made it crazier and funnier that it was happening in this universe. F*** the haters, this is one fantastic game.

So what's yours?

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#2  Edited By Little_Socrates

TrackMania 2 and Mortal Kombat were Game of the Year nominees at my podcast, and while they lost to Saints Row The Third (with Witcher 2 and Bastion as the runners-up) they're still beloved amongst my local community. Grand Theft Auto IV is far more beloved than it is hated, I assure you; the loud minority just outvoices the quiet majority.

I think Catherine is highly underrated, as are Deadly Premonition and Call of Duty: Black Ops.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@Little_Socrates: You're very right, I guess it is the vocal minority that shoot down GTA4 love. Also good on you for liking good games, weeee.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#4  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Dead Island! I know it's got its problems, but damned if I don't love it anyways. It's my adorable mongrel of this generation of games.

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By flindip

There is one answer to this. It is called Clive Barker's "Undying". That is all.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By Dagbiker
  • Viva Pinata
  • Ace Attorney
  • Ghost Trick
  • Echo Night Beyond
  • Creatures
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Animasta

Nier

E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy

Resonance of Fate

Ghost Trick

Alpha Protocol

Metro 2033

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MikeGosot

BINARY DOMAIN! It has some flaws, but godfuckingchrist, i love that shit.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@Animasta: 100% agree with Alpha Protocol.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By zombie2011

@BestUsernameEver: The FGC doesn't like MK9 because for the first half of it's life it was incredibly unbalanced with only 3-4 characters being played at tournaments, so they just moved on from it instead of waiting for patch after patch.

bellmont42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bellmont42
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Animasta

@MikeGosot said:

BINARY DOMAIN! It has some flaws, but godfuckingchrist, i love that shit.

oh I totes forgot that one, but this too.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13  Edited By Sackmanjones

I love this game and it came and left much to quickly. Still holdin out hope for a sequel.
I love this game and it came and left much to quickly. Still holdin out hope for a sequel.

I honestly don't know why I loved this game so damn much but I did. I know a ton of people will disagree with me but that makes it underrated in my eyes.
I honestly don't know why I loved this game so damn much but I did. I know a ton of people will disagree with me but that makes it underrated in my eyes.

The game was pretty well received by most but so far this is the biggest surprise of 2012 for me. I am 32 hours in and absolutely loving it. It has issues but things like no fast travel and pitch black nights make it all the more exciting and intense. 
The game was pretty well received by most but so far this is the biggest surprise of 2012 for me. I am 32 hours in and absolutely loving it. It has issues but things like no fast travel and pitch black nights make it all the more exciting and intense. 
All I can think of now, sure there are more
Socialone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Socialone
  • Company of Heroes
  • The Lord of the Rings: the Battle for MIddle Earth I & II
  • Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Dexter_Morgan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dexter_Morgan_

Twisted Metal and MK 9

CouncilorChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CouncilorChief
  • Alpha Protocol: Despite its flaws, I enjoyed it.
  • Crysis: Anyone who calls this a generic tech demo should go back to playing COD.
  • The Witcher 2: It deserved more critical acclaimed and GOTY awards than Skyrim.
  • Killer7: Its a love it or hate it game, and I love it.
  • Nier > Final piece of shit Fantasy 13
  • Metro 2033: One of the most engrossing experiences I've had in quite awhile.
  • Binary Domain: It deserves more credit than just being a Gears of War clone.
  • Lost Planet 2: The train segment wasn't THAT hard.
NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By NMC2008

Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock

Sonic Unleashed HD

Dead or Alive Xtreme 2

Ghostbusters

Eternal Sonata

Tornado Outbreak

Silent Hill Homecoming

Final Fantasy XIII

Bionic Commando

Beautiful Katamari

Lips

Rumble Roses XX

Stranglehold

The Simpsons Game

Deathsmiles

Monster Madness

Bobstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bobstar

L.A. Noire

With the same arguments you made for GTA IV.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Justin258

Timeshift used to be my go-to answer for this question. I thought that game was awesome.

Also, a lot of people that have actually played it have liked it, but Singularity. I do not at all see how anyone can call that completely and utterly by the numbers. It certainly takes a lot of inspiration from Bioshock and Half-Life, but it's hardly devoid of creativity and it definitely isn't devoid of good design. The game has its drawbacks (more games should be made where I can hold all of the guns), but no more than something like Bioshock itself did.

Speaking of Bioshock, the sequel. It also gets a fair bit of hate because... er... I couldn't tell you.

However, I understand that everyone has their own opinion. I just don't see how those two games can be called "boring" and "inferior" when there are plenty of other, far worse games out there.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@zombie2011 said:

@BestUsernameEver: The FGC doesn't like MK9 because for the first half of it's life it was incredibly unbalanced with only 3-4 characters being played at tournaments, so they just moved on from it instead of waiting for patch after patch.

The handling of the contents was poor, but the game under it all is amazing. I do get your point though. Also the char selection were much more diverse last year than say tekken, where it was just bob v bob matches constantly.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Animasta

@CouncilorChief: witcher 2 was not underrated, skyrim was just overrated; an important distinction.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Turambar

Dark Souls. Most people are either in awe of, or completely put off by its difficulty.  But the praise of it's level design and story telling is woefully inadequate.

stalefishies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By stalefishies
SpaceChem is one of the finest puzzle games I've ever played, and easily made my top 5 list last year. It also has a massive demo available, it's just a shame so few people seem to have heard of the game to try it.
CouncilorChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CouncilorChief

@Animasta said:

@CouncilorChief: witcher 2 was not underrated, skyrim was just overrated; an important distinction.

*shrugs*

I believe the game deserves more than a 88 on metacritic because it was arguably the best RPG of that year. And so far, the Enhanced Edition is also the best RPG of 2012. IMO of course.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By stonyman65

WinBack: Covert Operations is one that comes to mind. It did the RE4 laser pointer and the Gears shoot/cover/shoot mechanic YEARS before either of those games came out.

STALKER is pretty cool too. It's got a lot of crap for being pretty much fucked upon release, but after a few patches all of that crap went away, and there is a huge mod community that helps make the game amazing. I've yet to play a game does everything that STALKER does.

Avatar image for deactivated-5985ee6460d86
deactivated-5985ee6460d86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Alright finally someone who feels the same way about mk9

Voxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Voxus

No one has mentioned Asura's Wrath and that proves my point for my selection.

I've never played a video game start to finish (including ending DLC) that totally put my expectations out the fucking window.

Jesus christ that game is amazing.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By bwheeeler

@Turambar said:

Dark Souls. Most people are either in awe of, or completely put off by its difficulty. But the praise of it's level design and story telling is woefully inadequate.

Weird! I think the Souls games have some of the best level designs of any game I've ever played. Everything is where it is for a reason.

EDIT: Jesus fucking christ I'm a fucking idiot and we both agree that Dark Souls' level design is really cool sorry probably just don't read anything I say ever

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By TehFlan

Pokemon Trading Card Game for the GBC.

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By Mystyr_E
rockinkemosabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By rockinkemosabe

Eternal Sonata. One of the best JRPGs on the 360 and PS3.

Avatar image for darknessmyoldfriend
DarknessMyOldFriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bully

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#33  Edited By FancySoapsMan
@Little_Socrates said:

TrackMania 2 and Mortal Kombat were Game of the Year nominees at my podcast, and while they lost to Saints Row The Third (with Witcher 2 and Bastion as the runners-up) they're still beloved amongst my local community. Grand Theft Auto IV is far more beloved than it is hated, I assure you; the loud minority just outvoices the quiet majority.

I think Catherine is highly underrated, as are Deadly Premonition and Call of Duty: Black Ops.

Agreed with Deadly Premonition. It has one of the most detailed and engrossing open worlds of all time. That alone makes up for most of its flaws.
ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ShaggE

I agree with so many of these, and add DJ Hero. You can get the 2 turntable + mic edition of DJ Hero 2 for around 20 bucks, folks. Get on that shit if you like rhythm games and overlooked this gem.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#35  Edited By pyromagnestir
frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By frankfartmouth

Excite Truck. It still holds up as one of my favorite Wii games. My friends and I really got into it when it came out, taking turns trying to unlock everything and get all the S ratings. It made really good use of the Wiimote too, to the point where motion controls looked pretty cool for a minute. For a minute. Still a great game though.

Chim21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Chim21

Super Monday Night Combat

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@FancySoapsMan: It's also one of the most unique games ever made. Seriously, that kind of style is pretty hard to replicate.

ManU_Fan10ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#39  Edited By ManU_Fan10ne

valkyria chronicles. i only heard about this game when i asked the people here what game to get. this game is amazing. and whenever i mention it, nobody seems to know what it is. :(

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@CouncilorChief: people thought the train segment was hard?

wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 38

#41  Edited By wumbo3000

Ace Attorney games. The wait for the next one is literally killing me slowly.

CouncilorChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By CouncilorChief

@connerthekewlkid said:

@CouncilorChief: people thought the train segment was hard?

I don't know why either.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@CouncilorChief: wait was that in brads review of the game? :/

CouncilorChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By CouncilorChief

@connerthekewlkid said:

@CouncilorChief: wait was that in brads review of the game? :/

I always take Brad's review by a grain of salt.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Seppli
Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#46  Edited By Phatmac

Call of Duty: Black Ops.

sockemjetpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By sockemjetpack

Alice: Madness Returns ( The art style was great and honestly I had a lot of fun with it )

Mount and Blade: Warband ( It's just so damned addictive. Nothing like charging a warhorse at a line of soldiers and picking them off with your spear one by one )

Deus Ex: Human Revolution ( This was one of my favourite games of this generation. Yeah the boss fights sucked blah blah blah but they're only 10% f the game )

Legend of Legaia ( Amazing RPG with an interesting story and like-able characters. Beautiful game. Oh man that battle music!!! Sends chills down my spine to this day )

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ShaggE

Oh! I almost forgot Wolfenstein (2009). Really fun game.

Roger778

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Roger778

I have to say, I want to try everyone of the games that have been mentioned on this topic. Singularity for example, sounds pretty cool, as does Mortal Kombat (the new one) because I love fighting games.

For me, a very fun game that's underrated is Alpha Protocol. The game is a little glitchy, but that's the only flaw I can think of in the game. It's a game that rewards you for finding intelligence items that boosts your dossiers on your various items, so it does make you feel like a spy.

jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#50  Edited By jewunit

@NMC2008 said:

Tornado Outbreak

For real? I have passed over this game a number of times and never bought it. I like the art/graphics, but the gameplay seems a little bland from what I've seen. What did you like about it?

It's not really current generation, but I really like the Fire Pro Wrestling games. If you have a Gameboy Advance or a Nintendo DS, you should pick up the portable versions. If you own a PS2, you should grab the PS2 version. What these games lack in graphical presentation they make up for in depth and customisability. These games stand toe-to-toe with the old AKI N64 games.