I see your overrated games, but what are some UNDERRATED gems?

• 124 results
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By Turambar
@ManU_Fan10ne said:

valkyria chronicles. i only heard about this game when i asked the people here what game to get. this game is amazing. and whenever i mention it, nobody seems to know what it is. :(

Sadly Sega mismanaged the franchise pretty badly.  The second game was poor, the third game was never localized, and now the fourth game is a browser based card game.
Hyperglide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By Hyperglide

The criminally underrated Vanquish and all the swag that Sam Gideon has should not be overlooked.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#53  Edited By ThePickle
Ohgawd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By Ohgawd

Cardinal Syn - great PSX fighting game that went under the radar

Legend of Legaia (Regaia Densetsu) - great, great, great RPG. It was like a Tekken/Final Fantasy crossover.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#55  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Go, go now...leave me in peace, play your God damn Call of Duties...*stares bitterly towards the horizon*

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#56  Edited By NoobSauceG7

GTA 4 underrated? I disagree. First off you said it there, critics loved it getting many perfects and being GOTY for many people only with selling like the next best thing since sliced bread. IMO, GTA 4 is not a fun game to play, the shooting is not that good and the driving is beyond terrible, but it is great because of the characters and story. I would say that if anything GTA 4 is overrated but that is just what I think.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#57  Edited By NMC2008

@jewunit: @jewunit said:

@NMC2008 said:

Tornado Outbreak

For real? I have passed over this game a number of times and never bought it. I like the art/graphics, but the gameplay seems a little bland from what I've seen. What did you like about it?

It's not really current generation, but I really like the Fire Pro Wrestling games. If you have a Gameboy Advance or a Nintendo DS, you should pick up the portable versions. If you own a PS2, you should grab the PS2 version. What these games lack in graphical presentation they make up for in depth and customisability. These games stand toe-to-toe with the old AKI N64 games.

TO is kinda like the Katamari series, which I started liking at Beautiful Katamari, the best way to understand why I like it is to watch this.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#58  Edited By Akeldama

Dark Souls. Some of the best level design and aesthetic design in gaming.

DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#59  Edited By DonutFever

Ghost Trick, Driver: San Francisco, Rayman: Origins. 

And that's from last year alone.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60  Edited By _Zombie_

Darkwatch.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By AngelN7

Valkyria Chronicles is the underratest of all underrated games ever , not only is amazing and very unique but the gameplay holds up incredibly just for the fact that there isn't really anything like that at least on consoles oh and the story and characters are just great , let's pour one out for VC...

Wait no! I will fight for Valkyria Chronicles! that's what a Gallian would do! danmit, SEGA why don't you localize VC3! or do an HD port for the PS3 of VC2 & VC3 , do Valkyria Chronicles 4 with an updated Canvas engine! for the consoles instead of some browser game that no one will play outsite Japan! (at least is just a card game so spin-off-y that it doesn't even matter)... we want more of that great game you made stop wasting money on Sonic or that fudging Miku crap! ...

...Never Forget!

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#62  Edited By benspyda

Warhammer 40K: Space Marine - was a lot of fun.

Alice: Madness Returns - I loved the atmosphere and the old school mid tier game feel that doesn't exist anymore (which I guess space marine also felt like). Really enjoyed it.

Alpha Protocol - the story telling was fantastic and very engaging and by maxing out my gun stats the shooting actually was decent. Stuff stealth, I rolled a Rambo!!

Borderlands - One of may favorite games of all time, spent countless hours shootin n' lootin, so I found the general 8/10 reviews made it seem a little underrated critically but thankfully not commercially.

Vanquish - Good fun, its sad that it didn't sell, I think I enjoyed it even more than Bayonetta which got critical claim.

Sacred 2 - Enjoyed it, but it did feel a bit like an mmo but with only a small group of friends.

Wow I came up with a lot more than I thought I would.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#63  Edited By pr1mus
No Caption Provided

Greatest game of 1998. Yeah that's right, not Half-Life, Metal Gear Solid, Ocarina of Time, Fallout 2, Starcraft, Baldur's Gate. Parasite Eve is where its at!

I think i might have posted that in the Unpopular Opinion thread. It's a pretty unpopular opinion.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#64  Edited By MocBucket62
I got 2 underrated franchises in my mind:
  • The Wario Land Games: You can find most of these on Game Boy platforms, but these are some of the best and most clever platformers you can find. I think they still hold up if you give them a chance (Recommend Wario Land 3 and 4)
  • UFC Undisputed Series: The latest game has indeed garnished some great praise, but I don't recall it selling very well. This is probably second to the NBA 2K series in best sports franchises in gaming. Great controls, solid combat, and with the latest game, you can fight in both the UFC and Pride!
bigdaddy81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By bigdaddy81

Earth Defense Force 2017.

I honestly think it's one of the best shooters for the 360. I highly recommend it. It's also full of deliciously cheesy voice acting and endearingly stupid squad mates that will make you roar with laughter...........until you wind up killing them yourself.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

1. The first two Penny Arcade Games
  2. LA Noire
  3. Sam and Max (Season 3)
  4. FF9
  5. FF9
  6. FF9 (FF 9 is really great)
  7. Wind Waker (If you don't like Wind Waker and refused to even try it, then I don't like you. As Mooroka would say, you're on my shit list.)
  8. Viva Pinata
  9. WoW in terms of the crazy things they are doing with MMO questing
  10. DA 2, it wasn't that bad. Like it was bad, but not nearly as bad as people were making it out to be. I would say 7/10. DLC was shit though.
  11. DDO (Best Free to play mmo, fight me about it.)
  12. Lord of The Rings: The Third Age (Turn based jrpg style Lotr game.)
  13. Fire Emblem
  14. Disgae
  15. All tile-turn based rpgs, man I love this genre and want it to expand,
benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By benspyda

@Irvandus: I really enjoyed LoTR: Third age. Also I own all the sam and max games but I really need to continue them, I've only finished season 1.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Jay444111

@BigDaddy81 said:

Earth Defense Force 2017.

I honestly think it's one of the best shooters for the 360. I highly recommend it. It's also full of deliciously cheesy voice acting and endearingly stupid squad mates that will make you roar with laughter...........until you wind up killing them yourself.

Hey, at least they pump you up with how awesome you are and how awesome they are... EDF!!! EDF!!! EDF!!! Honestly, even though that game is hard as FUCK on higher difficulties I still feel bad when these guys die...

Also...

WHERE THE FUCK IS FRAGILE DREAMS!?

No seriously... what the fuck people!? BUY IT!!! BUY IT NOAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

It literally broke me emotionally. Made me fucking cry a good 10 different times, it is fun, it is amazingly well written... and it will destroy you completely... be sure to watch a happy go lucky show afterwords otherwise you might... no... you WILL become depressed or even get diagnosed with depression after playing it... I am not replaying the game... not because I didn't like it... but because I don't think I could survive a second time through.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#69  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Jay444111 said:

WHERE THE FUCK IS FRAGILE DREAMS!?

I thought it would be obvious.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Jay444111

@Pr1mus said:

No Caption Provided

Greatest game of 1998. Yeah that's right, not Half-Life, Metal Gear Solid, Ocarina of Time, Fallout 2, Starcraft, Baldur's Gate. Parasite Eve is where its at!

I think i might have posted that in the Unpopular Opinion thread. It's a pretty unpopular opinion.

Would you recommend buying it? Like... how is it really? All I know is that the final boss fight song is badass and I hear the game is all about sperm... weirdly enough...

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Jay444111 said:

@Pr1mus said:

Would you recommend buying it? Like... how is it really? All I know is that the final boss fight song is badass and I hear the game is all about sperm... weirdly enough...

You read my blog, didn't you?

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By habster3
  • Metal Gear Solid 2
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 (I mean it)
  • METAL GEAR SOLID 2 (This game was fantastic! The less-than-masculine protagonist and ridiculous, convoluted plot are not good enough excuses to hate on this game!)
  • 3D Dot Game Heroes (This game got decent reception, but not many people played it)
Discoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Discoman

LA Noire- Alot of people give this game shit because it wasn't like any other Rockstar game, which makes sense considering it was made by Team Bondi. The trailers for it were pretty detailed about what gameplay was like, and so I wasn't the least disappointed when I played it, infact I was happy it was handled the way it was (apart from Homicide desk). It tried standing out from the crowd, and I think it did well in that regard.

Planescape: Torment- A game I didn't hear about recently, Planescape had alot of cool concepts that I haven't seen in many other games, and the writing and philosophy of the game is very well done. A unique location, an odd protagonist, and a crew of disjointed companions made many great game moments. The only drawback is that the combat hasn't aged well, and if anything is horribly hard (Even though the protagonist cannot die, which makes hard turn to frustrating)

Freedom Fighters- Cool 3rd person action. Although I never heard any real hate for the game, it hasn't gotten the sequel that was hinted at during the finale. FF had a pretty cool system of separate areas effecting each other, so destroying a barracks in one place meant less patrols in another. Destroying a helipad meant no helicopter patrols. You could travel to different areas so the order of attack never mattered. The squad commends in the game were simple enough to work on the controller and effective enough to make squad orders fluid... well for the most part anyway.

Battlezone- not the 3d wireframe game, but the PC game of the late 90s. Combined FPS action with RTS elements. It was a really cool, yet very challenging game. It would be nice if it had a reboot. You can download it for free if you look in the right places. I'm not sure of the legality, but the programmer of the game is the one that released version 1.5 because it wouldn't run on new Operating Systems otherwise.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#74  Edited By pr1mus

@Jay444111: I would totally recommend buying it! It's just 6$ on the Playstation Store. It's a mix between the old Resident Evils and Final Fantasy i suppose. Battles happen semi randomly but in the same environments you explore. They happen in fixed locations but do not always trigger, at least not always when passing through a 2nd time or you may be able in some locations to move around the spots that would trigger a battle. They use the ATB system but you can move in real time and have to to get in range to attack or dodge enemy attacks. Weapons can be upgraded with attachments and better stats. It's got a great story and better soundtrack. Great atmosphere throughout.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Jay444111

@Video_Game_King said:

@Jay444111 said:

@Pr1mus said:

You read my blog, didn't you?

...Yes I did... It interested me and seriously... I wanna know what your next blog is badly. I love reading them.

@Pr1mus said:

@Jay444111: I would totally recommend buying it! It's just 6$ on the Playstation Store. It's a mix between the old Resident Evils and Final Fantasy i suppose. Battles happen semi randomly but in the same environments you explore and use the ATB system but you can move in real time and have to to get in range to attack or dodge enemy attacks. Weapons can be upgraded with attachments and better stats. It's got a great story and better soundtrack. Great atmosphere throughout.

Awesome... I don't have a PS3... yet anyways so it may be a while till I can get it... unless of course my new retro game store comes across a copy.

Oh, and to anyone in general. How rare is a Secret of Evermore unopened is? Just wondering... same with OoT... They got them in there.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Mega Man Legends - Aside from being generally awesome, it was way ahead of its time in a lot of pretty significant ways.
  • Mega Man X2 - Overshadowed by the first X game, but it's every bit as good if not better.
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 - One of the most ambitious games every created for reasons that even most fans don't quite understand.
  • Darksiders - A fantastic game (one of the secret best of the generation) that's better than many of the games it's often compared to.
  • Condemned: Criminal Origins - One of the scariest games I've ever played, and it's really well-designed all around.
  • Tomba - An awesome platformer that no one played. It's on PSN now, so go play it!
  • Majora's Mask - Easily the most original Zelda game, and one of the most dark and mature games of its day with nary a curse word, blood splatter, or titty in sight.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Jay444111 said:

I wanna know what your next blog is badly.

Then wait twelve hours.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Twisted Metal didn't get nearly enough love.

Also, I'm a huge, huge fan of Too Human. Though people hated that game.

Daroki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#79  Edited By Daroki

@0blivion said:

No one has mentioned Asura's Wrath and that proves my point for my selection.

I've never played a video game start to finish (including ending DLC) that totally put my expectations out the fucking window.

Jesus christ that game is amazing.

I'll +1 the Asura's Wrath. Game's amazing although $60 for it seems a bit much, but that's our fault for shitting on anything which doesn't carry that price tag and is in a box. Asura's Wrath is crazy and awesome though.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#80  Edited By jorbear

KOTOR 2

NWN 2

Alpha Protocol

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i really enjoyed the ever loving fuck out of XIII. yeah, it has its glitches and difficult spots. it wasn't all that bad once you were patient and learned to use some brains in those rough parts of the game. the final showdown with mongoose was pretty damn spectacular.

L44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#82  Edited By L44

Mirrors Edge yo.

ManU_Fan10ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#83  Edited By ManU_Fan10ne

@Turambar said:

@ManU_Fan10ne said:

valkyria chronicles. i only heard about this game when i asked the people here what game to get. this game is amazing. and whenever i mention it, nobody seems to know what it is. :(

Sadly Sega mismanaged the franchise pretty badly. The second game was poor, the third game was never localized, and now the fourth game is a browser based card game.

a browser based card game.....wow :(

wastedcolumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By wastedcolumbo
  • Nier
  • Supreme Commander
  • Chrono Cross (yes it's not better than Trigger but it's still fuckin' awesome)
  • Rogue Galaxy
  • Okami (it was pretty much universally praised by critics but it sure as hell didn't sell like it was)
  • The Colony Wars games
  • Suikoden 4 (worst numbered game in the series yet still so many times better than Final Fantasy XIII)
  • Final Fantasy Tactics
Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#85  Edited By Ben_H

- Mafia for the PC. Sadly most people played the console version, which was garbage. The PC version was a completely different game and better in every way.  
- Sid Meier's SimGolf. Ryan's been talking about it a bit but it still doesn't get the recognition it deserves. That game is amazing.  
- Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts. It's such a genius game but sadly it was Rare's last proper game too. Such a shame. 
- Dead Island. This game is amazing. I didn't have any technical issues. The fighting mechanics are just so good. It is by far my 2012 Game of 2011 award winner.  It's one of the few new games in the last year or two that actually made me look forward to playing it when I got home from work each day. That hasn't happened in years. You must use a controller and use the analog combat setting though, it makes the game significantly more fun. I was honestly shocked at how good it was. 

Edit: I don't know about how it was received, but I have been enjoying the hell out of Neverwinter Nights 2. I bought it for $0.99 on the Mac App store and have been playing it more than almost any other game on PC (Actually, I am playing it on Mac since I only own that version. It's kinda funny to see me sitting at my desk playing my kinda weakly powered laptop when I have a huge PC I built just for games sitting underneath said desk). It's a ton of fun and it definitely is getting me back into that style of RPG. I definitely see myself playing through it a couple more times. So far I just have played a Lawful Good Paladin. Next up I am going to try a mage that is some type of Evil, though I need to learn more about the different types of evil first. A lot of reading is required for that game.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#86  Edited By Deusoma

I can't understand the psychology of a person who praises a disappointing mess like GTA IV and bashes the entire Halo franchise in the same post, so I have absolutely no idea what games would be considered under- or over-rated to you.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Vextroid

Vanquish?... yeah I'll say Vanquish.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By gamefreak9

I'd say Ninja Gaiden... I know very few people that played it...

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By hatking

I like that list. And considering I love 2/3 of those games, and haven't played the other, I'm really beginning to think I might need to pick up Track Mania.

TimeSplitters as a series seems well appreciated, but I still don't think it gets its fair shake. TimeSplitters 2 did some really fucking crazy multiplayer stuff that we still aren't seeing being done quite as well. I don't think I will ever have that much fun with another fps game. And while the story in the games wasn't anything to write home about, the brilliant level design and beautiful artwork more than make the single player worth playing through a few times over. The games were packed full of shit in a way that we just don't see anymore. In addition to the bursting with features multiplayer and the full single player (and co-op) campaign), there were also two types of challenge mini-games. There were arcade challenges and these goofy mini-game challenges. All this stuff unlocked new characters, weapons, maps, cheats, modes for use in multiplayer. The game was packed to the brim in a way we don't really see anymore.

Hands down, my favorite FPS series.

wastedcolumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By wastedcolumbo
No Caption Provided

Actually this thread seems to be made for this game, if you own a Wii and don't own this then you need to take a long hard bath with yourself and ask yourself where you went wrong in life.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By ShockD

Risen was quite underrated by most reviewing websites when it came out. And it was a damn good RPG.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By CptBedlam

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow... fantastic game!

InternetCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By InternetCrab
  • GTA IV
  • Brutal Legend
  • Dear Esther
  • Shadowrun
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#94  Edited By ProfessorEss

Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts is definitely the first game I think of when it comes to being criminally under appreciated.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mirrors Edge, best use of the unreal 3 engine ever beautiful game euphoric soundtrack.

GTA 4 the more serious GTA great story and fun as hell.

LA. Noire damn impressive really hope they made another.

Paindamnation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Paindamnation

Vandal Hearts. One of the BEST PS1 games ever.

ShadowMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By ShadowMountain

@ProfessorEss: I'm playing that game right now - its SOOO good! And I was one of those fans of the original games that dismissed it at the time based on the demo. Thinking of creating a thread to show case some of my vehicles to encourage more people to try it out.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#98  Edited By veektarius

I'm going to go with the two Drakensang games. I don't know if they're actually underrated so much as they're just ignored as the usual foreign shovelware, but while they are discount, they are also quality games.

kuz101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By kuz101
  • Star Ocean 4: Ok, yeah the dialogue, story, voice acting, and characters are all atrocious, but the battle system in this game is the most fun I've had with a jrpg battle system ever.
  • Turning Point Fall of Liberty: I love Jason Bourne. This is the best Jason Bourne game out there. I don't mean in the story, setting, characters, mini-coopers, etc. I mean that when you press up on the d-pad next to an enemy, you perform a brief animation where the Nazi your next to gets destroyed by your fists. I played through the whole game without guns (except for one part where you can't advance without the use of guns) using only hand-to-hand combat, and it was a blast.
  • Miles Edgeworth: I had never played an Ace Attorney game before this one, but damn if it ain't great. Hope the sequel gets localized.
  • Valkyria Chronicles 2: The setting may be different, the characters may be whinier, but the gameplay is still there with some enhancements. Still a very fun game.
  • Jade Empire: I feel like this game gets unfairly shit upon. I agree that it is not Bioware's best work, but It is a still a great rpg in its own right.
  • NBA 2K12: This is here based on Marino's recent post about reviews. This game had the highest disparity between the GB review and user reviews. This is the best simulation basketball game ever made. Even though it is an annual series, it still gets so much better every year.
KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#100  Edited By KaneRobot

I'll second MK9 being underrated despite the fact that it was pretty universally praised (not to mention MK9 was my favorite game of 2011). Revolutionized what companies should be doing with their single-player mode in fighting games, and the incredible amount of bells and whistles on top of that set the bar pretty high for anything Netherrealm does now.

On the same track, I thought Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks from the XBox/PS2 was fantastic. My favorite 2-player co-op brawler since the Final Fight/Streets of Rage days.