I still do LAN parties, smaller ones though

Thusian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Thusian

I am curious to know if I am unique, even with robust online environments my friends and I still tend to get together for multiplayer.  We like to make a day of it get a day off form our wives bring the monitors and PS3s together and play through a co-op campaign.  We will fart around with competitive multiplayer online, but we tend not to do anything requiring serious coordination across a headset.  Does anyone else go to this extent?  Maybe this could be another win for Vita or Wii U as not having to lug the monitor around and still play the full fledged game (in the Wii U case I would still need to bring the console). 

Thusian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Thusian

I am curious to know if I am unique, even with robust online environments my friends and I still tend to get together for multiplayer.  We like to make a day of it get a day off form our wives bring the monitors and PS3s together and play through a co-op campaign.  We will fart around with competitive multiplayer online, but we tend not to do anything requiring serious coordination across a headset.  Does anyone else go to this extent?  Maybe this could be another win for Vita or Wii U as not having to lug the monitor around and still play the full fledged game (in the Wii U case I would still need to bring the console). 

thesavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By thesavage

Back when i was stationed in Georgia me and my friends would all jump on my wireless router and play strictly lan games of black ops on our 360's. We would be screaming from are rooms to each other down the hall death threats and how much they suck for camping etc. It was a good time and I miss doing it. Since then, I have trouble playing games online because of the lack of interaction with other live people.

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By h0lgr

We do it here fairly often (PC), between 5-10 times per year.
It's also very common here in Sweden to have PC LAN's.
ALWAYS a ton of fun!

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Example1013

My friends and I exclusively play split-screen, because none of them have PS3s or XBox Live, and I don't have an XBox. So we're stuck.

And I tried to play Magicka locally with one of my friends the other day (so that I could dodge the fact that both Steam copies were mine), but I couldn't get the LAN thing to work, so I gave up and just bought my friend a copy, and we played online, despite being about 20 feet away from each other.

Thusian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Thusian

We're bringing it back!

subrandom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By subrandom

Most of the people i know still live in tiny apartments so we don't get to do that too much. I do host fighting game get togethers at my house from time to time but its not quite the same thing. I would certainly like to do the lan thing more but space is always a problem.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Dingofighter

LAN's are common here, my school even organizes one.

Not that console-heavy though, mostly PC.

Zapbrader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Zapbrader

Ive never done a lan party before, but I did suggest one to my roommate yesterday. So at least I don`t think your weird.

Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Twitchey

I've never done a LAN party. I never played multiplayer with more than four people until I got an Xbox for my tenth birthday and one year later I convinced my mom to get me Xbox live. Yea I was a twelve year old on Xbox Live, sue me.

Butler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Butler

Left 4 Dead 2 lans on xbox happens a lot with my friends. We set up projectors and have 4 v 4 matches.

I also want to start doing some Halo 2 lans.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By sins_of_mosin

Back in the late 90s, we had huge PC LANs.  Pretty much take over someone's basement for a weekend.  A few jobs ago, I had a lot of co-workers with Xbox 360s so we did a LAN usually every other month.  Between 7-10 people.  We would go from noon to midnight and it was very fun.  We would play any game that we thought would be fun.  We would also do tourneys like madden, UFC, and the newest fighting game. 

Sadly, only two or three people was doing all the work and the people who could of helped showed how selfish they was and that was the end of it.  Since then, I've hosted a smaller LAN with a few selected friends. 

There is just something special about a LAN.  If you got a good one going, don't let it get away from ya.
Bumpton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Bumpton

My friends and I had one recently and it was a blast! There was probably 7 people total. Plus, the host had just brewed up some kickass beer and another dude was a super good chef and supplied tons of snacks. Mix that together with TF2, Age of Myth (yup!), HL2 Deathmatch, Battlefield 1942 and you have an amazing evening. I think we're planning another in the near future.
jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By jorbear

We have Starcraft 2 Tournaments here where I live. Because SC2 does not allow LAN, it isn't technically called a LAN party, but it still captures the feeling.

reddin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By reddin

We have LAN parties a couple of times a year. It's mostly small scale 4-10 people.

It's happening less often though, because with real life interfering it's hard to get a group of people together for a full weekend of gaming.

Always a lot of fun though, with some moderate drinking, snacks, and yelling at each other playing Left 4 Dead (The last two LAN parties were pretty much dedicated to L4D2 :) ).

Regarding your point about the Vita: Me, my brother and a friend already had DSs, so we took them out during a get together at my place once and everybody pretty much just played Mario Kart the rest of the evening. Next week everybody owned DSs :D

From then on we had a lot of impromptu 'LAN parties' playing Mario Kart. So it could work out if you have a group of like minded people.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Azteck
@h0lgr said:
We do it here fairly often (PC), between 5-10 times per year. It's also very common here in Sweden to have PC LAN's. ALWAYS a ton of fun!
Quote for truth AND for Swedish dominance in the world. YES!
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By EpicSteve

My roommate typically hosts 360 LAN parties once a month or so.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By Twisted_Scot

Haven't had a LAN party since the 1st GTA on PC. Too much hassle these days when I can just go on Live. Kinda miss them tho. An I only have 1 good TV :)

TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TorMasturba

@h0lgr said:

We do it here fairly often (PC), between 5-10 times per year. It's also very common here in Sweden to have PC LAN's. ALWAYS a ton of fun!

I've never had a LAN party, sounds awesome!

Do you have a spare room I can come and live in?

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By h0lgr
@TorMasturba said:

@h0lgr said:

I've never had a LAN party, sounds awesome!

Do you have a spare room I can come and live in?

It's incredibly fun!