I Think I'm Ready

DBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

Edited By DBoy

Yep.  I think I'm ready to do my Top 10 Favorite Games of 2008 list.

Now, I know you guys must be thinking "Dude, what about Metal Gear Solid 4!?  You need to play that game before you do your list!!"  You know what?  I'm not quite sure about that.  Let me explain.

I've never played a MGS game in my life and, even though I could go on over to GameTrailers.com and watch a video on the series' backdrop, I don't think that would be enough for me to really get into the game's story and characters.  Second, I'm not a fan of the series and have never felt the urge to play one of the games.  Although I am curious about MGS 4 because of the "perfect" scores and praise it received, I'm not over-excited about playing it.

Last but certainly not least, I'm enjoying Fallout 3 way too much to just drop it and focus on Snake's final mission.  I'm trying my best to avoid the main storyline just so I can indulge and enjoy this game for a while longer.  I'll even go back and replay the game as a good guy when I'm done with my first run-through (I'm a bad guy right now).  To be quite honest with you, and as I've stated before, I never expected to love this game as much as I am right now.  I think about it during the day.  I dream about it at night.  I talk about it at work when I'm with my gamer collegues.  It has invaded my inner soul and captivated me in ways I never thought would be possible.  The last RPG to do this was the first Knights of the Old Republic, which is now in dire jeopardy of becoming my 2nd favorite role-playing game of all time.  Yes, Fallout 3 is that good.  I just cannot abandon it like that.

Go ahead.  Call me crazy, nuts, ignorant or whatever creative rhetoric you can come up with.  However, I do promise you that I will play Metal Gear Solid 4 some time in the future and, who knows, maybe it'll be on the XBox 360?

So, yeah.  I don't think I'm ready.  I am ready.

DBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#1  Edited By DBoy

Yep.  I think I'm ready to do my Top 10 Favorite Games of 2008 list.

Now, I know you guys must be thinking "Dude, what about Metal Gear Solid 4!?  You need to play that game before you do your list!!"  You know what?  I'm not quite sure about that.  Let me explain.

I've never played a MGS game in my life and, even though I could go on over to GameTrailers.com and watch a video on the series' backdrop, I don't think that would be enough for me to really get into the game's story and characters.  Second, I'm not a fan of the series and have never felt the urge to play one of the games.  Although I am curious about MGS 4 because of the "perfect" scores and praise it received, I'm not over-excited about playing it.

Last but certainly not least, I'm enjoying Fallout 3 way too much to just drop it and focus on Snake's final mission.  I'm trying my best to avoid the main storyline just so I can indulge and enjoy this game for a while longer.  I'll even go back and replay the game as a good guy when I'm done with my first run-through (I'm a bad guy right now).  To be quite honest with you, and as I've stated before, I never expected to love this game as much as I am right now.  I think about it during the day.  I dream about it at night.  I talk about it at work when I'm with my gamer collegues.  It has invaded my inner soul and captivated me in ways I never thought would be possible.  The last RPG to do this was the first Knights of the Old Republic, which is now in dire jeopardy of becoming my 2nd favorite role-playing game of all time.  Yes, Fallout 3 is that good.  I just cannot abandon it like that.

Go ahead.  Call me crazy, nuts, ignorant or whatever creative rhetoric you can come up with.  However, I do promise you that I will play Metal Gear Solid 4 some time in the future and, who knows, maybe it'll be on the XBox 360?

So, yeah.  I don't think I'm ready.  I am ready.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Do what must be done, my friend.

Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By Artie

I would suggest making your decision a week or two after coming off of Fallout 3, or any game really.

Initial reactions of a good game are usually higher than what people actually think. Sort of like how everyone gave GTA4 10s, but a month later it was criticized as being a step back for the series.

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By AthleticShark

Yea Artie pretty much said it. On top of that Doug said over at Gamespot that people should not really make lists till after the year because of games they might get for Xmas. I mean we still have a month to go, a little less, so why rush it. Take time and think about it, especially after just playing a game you really love right then. You yourself said GTA4 was better then San Andreas, but then a few weeks/month later you changed your mind after thinking about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-579a5a254c9a3
deactivated-579a5a254c9a3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

DO IT.

AlexMarra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By AlexMarra

What Artie said.

Also, I'm not really rushing into playing MGS4 either, even though I love the series to death. Hopefully it'll come out for the 360 in the future, 'cause I'm not ready to shell out $600 on a new console just yet.

DeVeAn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DeVeAn

If your a gamer, then you own it to yourself to play MGS4 really.

JamesF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#8  Edited By JamesF

I watched all the MGS retrospectives on GameTrailers (I hadn't played an MGS game before 4 either) and still couldn't understand the story. I got a better idea for what it was all about, but I didn't understand it. It didn't really take away from the game though because I really enjoyed all the action and gameplay.

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By ZeroCast

I don't blame you for not playing MGS4 until now, if you really haven't played the previous games you are going to feel a bit disconnected from Snake and the game itself, in fact, I started playing the MGS series 2 weeks prior to MGS4's release, Subsistence was the first then I moved to MGS1and finally ending Sons Of liberty a day before MGS4, and you know what happened? It just clicked man, since then I have been dying to play MGS4, just to know what this final mission really is, hopefully I will play it before end of the year, but for now, GTA IV is my GOTY, not Fallout 3, not Fable 2, but a game that cost 100 Million to develop, that is my Game of the Year, a game that left a personal effect on me rather than forgetting it the next day it was finished.

If Artie thinks reviewers gave it 10's as a first impression, well I'm sorry to say this but you’re wrong sir, you don't give a game a 10 unless you’re sure it deserves that score, if you think it’s a “step back” because they removed all the “fun” then that’s your opinion and I respect it, just don’t start saying that everyone else out there thinks its step back, because those people might not think the same.

Gen_Warbuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gen_Warbuff

Jesus, even conflicting opinions on when to do  reviews, or give out GOTY picks! How about this, do a review within minutes of finishing a game, pick GOTY in JUNE if you want to.... just do what feels right for you!

With that said, I think you are INSANE for not throwing MGS4 in the PS3 right now. Yes, you will feel a little lost/disconnected from the story, but it will not take long to get sucked in. There are 3 weeks left in 2008, plenty of time for Fallout3 and MGS4 :)

Brandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By Brandy

I don't blame you for skipping MGS4 - even though I'm sure I'd like it, I doubt you would be as overjoyed about it as I would be, so it probably wouldn't end up on your GotY rankings anyhow, so why "waste" the time? Play it later.

Avatar image for deactivated-a5c97f
deactivated-a5c97f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would highly suggest you do not skip any games. If you really want to figure out the game of the year, you should be playing everything possible. But that is just my opinion.

Rezzolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Rezzolution

I have a hunch that I know what your #1 for the year is gonna be... :)

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14  Edited By giyanks22

I'm sure it will be good either way...

MsCortana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By MsCortana

Dennis, you do what ever the hell you want to do and don't let anyone tell you any different. If you wanna skip it...then skip it and make your list. You don't have to play "every" game in order to announce "your own personal" game of the year. I'll support you either way. :D

darro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By darro

I don't know but there is just something about Fallout 3 that I can't get into.  You think that I would love it since its like Oblivion in certain ways and made by the same team and I adore Oblivion but I have played it for 5 hours and kind of had enough.  Maybe its because health packs and the like are non-existent in the location I am in thus making it hard for me to survive and no water etc.  I heard it gets better so maybe I should give it another try.

You are missing out on one of the best games of the year in MGS 4 but you pretty much went back on your word in that you will play it by the end of the year and now you ain't.  But hey, who am I kidding? I do it too and others do it also.

stevieq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By stevieq

Go for it. Can't wait for your GotY awards. Gald you're enjoying Fallout 3.

Gigastormz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18  Edited By Gigastormz

I have to agree for the most part.  Everything about the game, except for the main quest is perfection.  I loved every bit about it and I also thought about the game all the damned time, even while sleeping.  When you complete the main quest though, it dampers your feelings a bit and the ending is extremely disappointing.

Don't feel too bad, I haven't played MGS4 either, even though I own the damn game.  I've playing MGS1 and 2, but not 3 yet, even though I own that one as well (I'm terrible, I know.)

turambar35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By turambar35

Cool. I look forward to reading it.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn it I need Fallout 3!!!

Torb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Torb

Meh, MGS4 is overrated.
Just kidding. Haven't even played it :D.
Anyways don't trouble yourself on one game. You can only judge what you have played so you shouldnt have to go out of your way to make "the" comprehensive list...

Quadrifoglio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Quadrifoglio

Don't feel bad about not playing MGS4 - I haven't either. My guess is that GARZ TOO is your GOTY.

AndyWilliams24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AndyWilliams24

Your nuts.

ElectricHaggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ElectricHaggis

I would recommend playing through the other games in the MGS series before playing 4.  Mainly because I think the fan service and references to old games in the series made people like it so much.  Plus, you’ll have a better understanding of whats going on.

Avatar image for lightwarrior179
lightwarrior179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25  Edited By lightwarrior179

I have only played the first MGS and I understand that it is very important to know the backstory and each and every detail of the numerous plot threads of the series. So it's better that you somehow play the previous three games before getting into MGS4.

Fallout 3 is going to beat KotOR? Nooo!! :P

temperedvortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By temperedvortex

I liked Fallout 3 as much as you did up until I beat it. The ending was really bad in my opinion. Also I would wait a little longer to do that list

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By TheGreatGuero

DBoy, best of luck to you, dude. I do agree that after Fallout 3, you should take a little time to reflect. Sometimes you can get so worked up over a recent game you just loved that you might overlook how much you enjoyed a game from a few months ago. With MGS4, eh... it's hard for one person to play all the biggest games of a year, so don't beat yourself up over it. Though it would probably be in your best interest to play it some time, since apparently you have a PS3.

Artie
said:

Initial reactions of a good game are usually higher than what people actually think. Sort of like how everyone gave GTA4 10s, but a month later it was criticized as being a step back for the series."
Good call, dude. Unfortunately, many popular and successul games must endure such ridiculous criticism. There are always people that aren't going to impressed with some games, especially when you got reviewers claiming that they're one of the greatest games ever made. I happen to be one of those people in regards to Super Mario Galaxy, but with GTAIV, I can honestly say that it's great and I believe it is a necessary progression for the series. Some no doubt disagree and prefer the same old San Andreas style of play, but GTA is a top of the line series and I personally think they were right in bringing it to a more powerful and mature level. Regardless of whether or not people agree with the new direction of GTA, the game is unquestionably solid and a respectable next-gen sequel.
RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By RenegadeSaint

I can totally see Fallout 3 winning a lot of GOTY awards.  I didn't get into it this year, so it's between Castlevania (DS), Fable II, and Gears of War 2.

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By gearhead

I am in the same boat as Darrogamer, it seems that all the people who loved Oblivion could not get into Fallout as much, and everyone who did not like Oblivion, likes Fallout. Very Interesting...