I think its about time GB staff does sports games reviews.

• 65 results
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By TwoOneFive

I'm sure there is plenty of guys working at the office for whiskey media who love to play team sports games, like hockey, baseball and football.  One of those dudes could surely throw in a review or two every now and then. 

The site has been live for over a year, i think its about time they got somebody to review sports games.  

As much as many of you may like to think ,despite never actually playing them, sports games can be just as technically top-notch as uncharted 2 and batman arkham asylum. 

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By damnboyadvance
@TwoOneFive: Does this answer your  question?

"...Giant Bomb isn't interested in the fire-hose approach to video game coverage. Our editorial team is small and experienced, and our job is to highlight the stuff that we feel is significant, either to us on a personal level, or for video games at large. That's not everything, but it's still a lot. Though, we're not real big on sports games, so don't expect too much meaningful/informed Madden coverage.     "

Tuggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Tuggah

I like sports and sports games, they could hire me. /sarcasm

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Ineedaname

Does this not fall under their original ruling though they're going to try and cover only a certain percent of games. To be reviewing sports games seems like a waste of time anyway, more times than not the following game in the series is just the same as the previous with a few changes.

Though having said that Coonce plays Madden, I remember reading a tournament thread he wanted in on, so if he had time maybe he could do some.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By ez123

Jeff's going to review UFC annually now, that's all you're gonna get.

I still play NFL 2K5 so ...... don't really give a fuck.

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By fripplebubby

Doesn't everyone think it's about time for people to enjoy what they already have?

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By EpicSteve

From what they've said, they aren't qualified to review typical sports games. Here's the most coverage you'll get.

Synchronatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Synchronatic

Sports games hardly change from year to year so it's not worth losing real game reviews for that. Or site space really. Or the extra time it takes to scroll past them.

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By DukeTogo

The site is designed to allow for user reviews, making the need for the old idea of a "sports guy", "driving guy", "sim guy", and "RPG guy" obsolete.  Besides, why review games that get yearly updates, made by the same company, bought annually by the same people?  It's not like there's a choice.  For the few games that actually have to compete, most people decided years ago whether they're a FIFA guy or a Winning Eleven guy.  There isn't much to review outside of saying what's new, and if it's broken or not.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Video_Game_King
@DukeTogo said:
Besides, why review games that get yearly updates, made by the same company, bought annually by the same people?
Umm....* coughs, interrupts this thread*
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By natetodamax

Difference between the Madden games each year: This guy is on that team and that guy is on this team. They would be too difficult to review, and nobody would care.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By trophyhunter

much like what ryan said about anime 
every review would start with "well it's a sports game so it sucks"

absinthetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By absinthetic

how much really changes from year to year?

i think its rather a waste of time to do a complete review of something where there are only one or two changes that were made and the rest is just tweaks

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#15  Edited By sjschmidt93

Sports game reviews are dumb. You know what you're getting when you buy a sports game.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Jadeskye

I think it would be funny to watch jeff and ryan play sports game X. But serious review? naw.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Daryl

Oh and they cover the Smackdown games as well. 

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#18  Edited By delta_ass

I think sports games are dumb, so this is a bad idea.

ptc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ptc

Attention Giantbomb: please DO NOT waste your time on sports game reviews. 

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Black_Rose

They can just review this year's Madden/NBA/Fifa/PES/NHL and not have to review the sequels for another 10 years since they're basically the same. 

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheGremp

Why bother? Every review would be "Well, it's a bit better than last years. They found a new gimmick related to the right analog stick, and the rosters are updated. 3 stars."

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pause422

No its not.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TwoOneFive
@damnboyadvance said:
" @TwoOneFive: Does this answer your  question?

"...Giant Bomb isn't interested in the fire-hose approach to video game coverage. Our editorial team is small and experienced, and our job is to highlight the stuff that we feel is significant, either to us on a personal level, or for video games at large. That's not everything, but it's still a lot. Though, we're not real big on sports games, so don't expect too much meaningful/informed Madden coverage.     "

"
dude, be real, thats bullshit if you think about it

these guys review a ton of games, and thats just the main four, others sometimes step in for different reviews. but yeah, they review far moer games, many of which are really under the radar type. 

im just saying there has got to be somebody willing to do sports games reviews for GB. @TheGremp said:
" Why bother? Every review would be "Well, it's a bit better than last years. They found a new gimmick related to the right analog stick, and the rosters are updated. 3 stars." "
and dude, its guys like you that annoy me. 
we get it, you don't like sports. 
you're being very narrow minded in that assumption. 
Gamespot, for istance, writes lengthy reviews for Madden every year. obviously theres plenty of new content and improvements and tweaks etc to validate a full written review.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Video_Game_King
@TwoOneFive said:
Gamespot, for istance, writes lengthy reviews for Madden every year.
That doesn't mean they're good reviews or informative. Do you know how hard it is to write a review about the same crap again and again? You just end up repeating yourself a lot. (I know this from personal experience.)
bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25  Edited By bonbolapti
@Video_Game_King said:
" @TwoOneFive said:
That doesn't mean they're good reviews or informative. Do you know how hard it is to write a review about the same crap again and again? You just end up repeating yourself a lot. (I know this from personal experience.) "
Maybe you need to be a better writer. 

TwoOneFive does have a point, I've played a fair amount of Sports games to tell differences between them all. The only problem with this thread is that a lot of you guys are jaded.
But Unless somebody from the crew does actually step up, and and review sports games. I really don't think it'll happen. That crew and this demographic? It would have to be a pretty freak chance.
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#26  Edited By Black_Rose
@TwoOneFive said:

"and dude, its guys like you that annoy me.  we get it, you don't like sports.  you're being very narrow minded in that assumption.  Gamespot, for istance, writes lengthy reviews for Madden every year. obviously theres plenty of new content and improvements and tweaks etc to validate a full written review. "

Have you ever actually read those reviews? They talk the same crap 90% of the time, and the other 10% is spent  talking about last year's game. 
TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By TheHBK

They aint qualified to review the games since they dont even like sports.  At most Jeff is the closest to liking any real sports.  But he doesn't play the mainstream, though I am sure we will get an NBA Jam review when the game is out.
They would need another person, or ask around the office of the engineers if they play the games and could write a review.  I mean, do none of these guys get excited for the BCS Title game or March Madness or the Super Bowl?  The NBA Finals where Kobe goes on a rampage to give everyone a facial?

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By DanielJW
@TheGremp said:
" Why bother? Every review would be "Well, it's a bit better than last years. They found a new gimmick related to the right analog stick, and the rosters are updated. 3 stars." "
Perfect.
Ramyun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ramyun

I think it's less to do with the innovation (or lack of) within sports games, and more to do with their lack of knowledge on sports games that they don't review them, which is a good move. I mean I cannot play RTS games competently so I don't expect my views and opinions on the quality of the product to be taken seriously.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Red12b

They do review sports games, Skate2 THRide, Fight Night, Wii Sports 

Sports games, Whats your point?
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Video_Game_King
@bonbolapti: 

Or maybe it's hard to rephrase the same Mega Man review about 21 times. What am I supposed to add to that?
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By iam3green

i really don't think they want to because they are really all the same game over and over. madden gets a yearly new game, it's just about the same game. i think they do review some games because they don't have a new game every year.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TwoOneFive
@bonbolapti said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
" @TwoOneFive said:
That doesn't mean they're good reviews or informative. Do you know how hard it is to write a review about the same crap again and again? You just end up repeating yourself a lot. (I know this from personal experience.) "
Maybe you need to be a better writer.  TwoOneFive does have a point, I've played a fair amount of Sports games to tell differences between them all. The only problem with this thread is that a lot of you guys are jaded.But Unless somebody from the crew does actually step up, and and review sports games. I really don't think it'll happen. That crew and this demographic? It would have to be a pretty freak chance. "
i agree.  
this site and most of the people i come across on the internet are JADED.  
With movies i think its the most obvious.  
I mean, the site is supposed to be the end-all videogame database.  
To ignore the existence of some of the biggest selling games in the industry is a ridiculous. 

I know that a lot of the people on here don't play sports, don't play sports games, and have a very narrow minded opinion on sports games in general. The truth is, you sound like asses when you say things like "  Do you know how hard it is to write a review about the same crap again and again?"  , because with that dumbass logic, Madden 10 is clearly the same as Madden 2003.  
wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#34  Edited By wrecks

Sports does not exist in this Dojo. And I'm fine with that. The staff made a decision to start a site and try to live a working life away from all the shit they HAD to do at big corporate review factories like gamespot. There are plenty, PLENTY of sites out there to cover all your sports review needs. Plus, this site lives and breathes off user content, so write more reviews or encourage your pals to review. I applaud the guys for sticking to their guns and playing exactly what they want to play, including shovel ware, and not catering to what they feel might garner more traffic.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#35  Edited By Soap

No.... no I don't think it is.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#36  Edited By Tordah

I don't really care for sports games so I'm fine with it.

Ski Or Die is still the best sports game I've ever played. It was simple, fun and funny.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#37  Edited By Tordah

I don't really care for sports games so I'm fine with it.

Ski Or Die (PC version) is still the best sports game I've ever played. It was simple, fun and funny.

cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By cinemandrew
@TwoOneFive said:
" I'm sure there is plenty of guys working at the office for whiskey media who love to play team sports games, like hockey, baseball and football.  One of those dudes could surely throw in a review or two every now and then."
They build websites, they're not writers. Yes, Dave does occasionally do reviews, but it's very rare, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that he has a lot of editing help from the rest of the staff. Not to mention that "those dudes" are probably far too busy maintaining this site.
Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#39  Edited By Crono
@TwoOneFive said:
" @bonbolapti said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
" @TwoOneFive said:
Maybe you need to be a better writer.  TwoOneFive does have a point, I've played a fair amount of Sports games to tell differences between them all. The only problem with this thread is that a lot of you guys are jaded.But Unless somebody from the crew does actually step up, and and review sports games. I really don't think it'll happen. That crew and this demographic? It would have to be a pretty freak chance. "
i agree.  this site and most of the people i come across on the internet are JADED.  With movies i think its the most obvious.  I mean, the site is supposed to be the end-all videogame database.  To ignore the existence of some of the biggest selling games in the industry is a ridiculous.  I know that a lot of the people on here don't play sports, don't play sports games, and have a very narrow minded opinion on sports games in general. The truth is, you sound like asses when you say things like "  Do you know how hard it is to write a review about the same crap again and again?"  , because with that dumbass logic, Madden 10 is clearly the same as Madden 2003.   "
Their existence isn't ignored.  They have wiki entries and therefor they are in the end-all video game database.  If we used your logic of no review = ignoring existence then there are thousands upon thousands of games that are ignored on this site.  Where's my Joust review, Giant Bomb!?  Quit ignoring Joust!

As many have mentioned there are sports reviews here but you seem to mean the "mainstream, national TV" sports.  Well, I remember hearing Jeff say at some point that those games are covered by so many other outlets that they just leave it to them - that, plus they aren't "sports" people.  Their lack of interest and knowledge of sports would result in a very poor review of the game (I don't mean score-wise, I mean that the review itself would not contain much useful information).  Would you really like the GB crew to review sports games and have said review have little to no useful content?  Because that is what you would likely get.
Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Crono
@TwoOneFive said:
" @bonbolapti said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
" @TwoOneFive said:
i agree.  this site and most of the people i come across on the internet are JADED.  With movies i think its the most obvious.  I mean, the site is supposed to be the end-all videogame database.  To ignore the existence of some of the biggest selling games in the industry is a ridiculous.  I know that a lot of the people on here don't play sports, don't play sports games, and have a very narrow minded opinion on sports games in general. The truth is, you sound like asses when you say things like "  Do you know how hard it is to write a review about the same crap again and again?"  , because with that dumbass logic, Madden 10 is clearly the same as Madden 2003.   "
Their existence isn't ignored.  They have wiki entries and therefor they are in the end-all video game database.  If we used your logic of no review = ignoring existence then there are thousands upon thousands of games that are ignored on this site.  Where's my Joust review, Giant Bomb!?  Quit ignoring Joust!

As many have mentioned there are sports reviews here but you seem to mean the "mainstream, national TV" sports.  Well, I remember hearing Jeff say at some point that those games are covered by so many other outlets that they just leave it to them - that, plus they aren't "sports" people.  Their lack of interest and knowledge of sports would result in a very poor review of the game (I don't mean score-wise, I mean that the review itself would not contain much useful information).  Would you really like the GB crew to review sports games and have said review have little to no useful content?  Because that is what you would likely get.
CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41  Edited By CharleyTony

I would like one hilarious collaborative sport game review per year... that's it ...
Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

@Synchronatic said:
" Sports games hardly change from year to year so it's not worth losing real game reviews for that. Or site space really. Or the extra time it takes to scroll past them. "
AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#43  Edited By AndrewB

Wait 'till the end of the year and lump them all into one giant review.

Grimace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Grimace

When it comes out this year I think it would be fun to see them do a quick look of the AFL (Australian Football) game.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TwoOneFive
@Crono said:
" @TwoOneFive said:
" @bonbolapti said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
" @TwoOneFive said:
Their existence isn't ignored.  They have wiki entries and therefor they are in the end-all video game database.  If we used your logic of no review = ignoring existence then there are thousands upon thousands of games that are ignored on this site.  Where's my Joust review, Giant Bomb!?  Quit ignoring Joust!  As many have mentioned there are sports reviews here but you seem to mean the "mainstream, national TV" sports.  Well, I remember hearing Jeff say at some point that those games are covered by so many other outlets that they just leave it to them - that, plus they aren't "sports" people.  Their lack of interest and knowledge of sports would result in a very poor review of the game (I don't mean score-wise, I mean that the review itself would not contain much useful information).  Would you really like the GB crew to review sports games and have said review have little to no useful content?  Because that is what you would likely get. "
i meant ignore as in, GB staff swearing to cover only the biggest and best game releases and all the rest that people care about. sports games are incredibly popular. 
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Afroman269

No go to a different site for sports games reviews and coverage.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TwoOneFive
@cinemandrew said:
" @TwoOneFive said:
" I'm sure there is plenty of guys working at the office for whiskey media who love to play team sports games, like hockey, baseball and football.  One of those dudes could surely throw in a review or two every now and then."
They build websites, they're not writers. Yes, Dave does occasionally do reviews, but it's very rare, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that he has a lot of editing help from the rest of the staff. Not to mention that "those dudes" are probably far too busy maintaining this site. "
so there is nobody else besides dave who would like to do the occasional review? 
Frederik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Frederik

I play a lot of FIFA and occasionally some NBA, NFL or Madden as well, and I am very happy that they don't review those. The time it would take them to inform me about games I know are coming and I know will be pretty good, could take up the time that is now used for games like Cryostasis,Silent Hill and Fat Princess that I wouldn't have heard of otherwise.  

That Giantbomb has a unique editorial direction is what keeps it from being a run-of-the-mill "gamer" website (plus legendary editors, top notch videos and this)

deadly_polo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By deadly_polo

Giant Bomb's rating system works that really games don't get given scores which are meaningful, the scores mean how much GB recommend the game, not just what they think of it. Unless they have someone who loves sports games, there probably isn't much point in trying to say if the game is recommendable or not, since the staff don't like it. 

For an example, if Demon Souls were to be reviewed, on the GB system they would probably give it 3 stars, since this is what governs the ratings. That is why The Ballad of Gay Tony only got 3 stars, it isn't 60%, it is saying that " An inherent appreciation of this game's specific gameplay style, characters, subject matter, and so on may play as big a role in your enjoyment as the actual quality of the game"; and for Ryan this applied, he didn't think everyone would love it and so it was a 3. 

Giant Bomb isn't comparable to other games websites which give scores, since it is the written review which should influence a purchase the most. For a sports game Giant Bomb's staff (and Whiskey Media's do have other stuff to do) have no basis so can't be fair with a review, you either will like a Soccer game or not; end of.

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Crono
@TwoOneFive said:
" @Crono said:
" @TwoOneFive said:
" @bonbolapti said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
" @TwoOneFive said:
Their existence isn't ignored.  They have wiki entries and therefor they are in the end-all video game database.  If we used your logic of no review = ignoring existence then there are thousands upon thousands of games that are ignored on this site.  Where's my Joust review, Giant Bomb!?  Quit ignoring Joust!  As many have mentioned there are sports reviews here but you seem to mean the "mainstream, national TV" sports.  Well, I remember hearing Jeff say at some point that those games are covered by so many other outlets that they just leave it to them - that, plus they aren't "sports" people.  Their lack of interest and knowledge of sports would result in a very poor review of the game (I don't mean score-wise, I mean that the review itself would not contain much useful information).  Would you really like the GB crew to review sports games and have said review have little to no useful content?  Because that is what you would likely get. "
i meant ignore as in, GB staff swearing to cover only the biggest and best game releases and all the rest that people care about. sports games are incredibly popular.  "
Please read my whole post.