I think Neogaf is burning down

Goodacre0081

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

(alleged) co-founder made a post detailing their want to also create a gaf type forum on discord about an hour ago.

phionoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#702  Edited By phionoxx

Count me in as a refugee although I've been a premium member for years now at GB.

Sad to see the forum go down because of the actions of one person but am glad his actions are now getting attention.

Going to miss the OTs and various community threads. Whatever else NeoGAF was, it was also a solid source of video game related news and had some tight knit communities.

previous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Before the new site launches, I just want to thank the GB mods and community for allowing this thread to exist, and for promptly deleting all the troll posts. I've been browsing a good number of forums, comment sections, and reddit the past day looking for information and I have to say this thread has had the most sane and reasonable discussion out of all of them. Thank you for giving us ex-gaffers a temporary home.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#704  Edited By burncoat

@reven_wolf: There's that but there's also been a spat of people registering just to be a shit. I saw at least one user join Waypoint with a Hitler avatar just to talk shit about no Discord invite.

Waypoint tries to focus on giving a voice the marginalized, so they're pretty hyper-vigilant even in the tamest of times. I fully expect some pro-GG alt-assholes are trying to take advantage of the situation.

Mr_Moogle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another NeoGAF refugee here. Its a damn shame to see the gaming side disintegrate. I wont shed a tear for the off-topic section though.

Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@choppasmith: Cheers.

Being a Gaffer right now feels like the human race after the Earth blew up in Titan A.E. before Matt Damon turns on the machine making a New Earth.

New forum should've been called Planet Bob

Reven_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@burncoat: I can imagine. It'll probably be a nightmare for mods on any forum where a large number of gaffers are coming to until this gets sorted.

adamantypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haha yep. When I'm bored of Reddit I typically opened up GAF and join in the conversation there. I guess a reset is in order anyway, no pun intended.

conantheking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@burncoat: I can imagine. It'll probably be a nightmare for mods on any forum where a large number of gaffers are coming to until this gets sorted.

Can you imagine when the new site starts? I imagine only a handful of accounts will be added each day to allow for easier weeding of negative people coming in. If the new site just accepts everyone day 1 I imagine a lot of GGers will join.

deim0s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Removed the dust from my GB account.

Still doing the habit of clicking the bookmark tho.

bathala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe cross reference their names to GAF name list but that will suck

previous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reven_wolf said:

Can you imagine when the new site starts? I imagine only a handful of accounts will be added each day to allow for easier weeding of negative people coming in. If the new site just accepts everyone day 1 I imagine a lot of GGers will join.

Hopefully they will keep the paid email requirement, that should help a bit.

PipefishUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is the consensus on which forum is the new forum? In the discord I'm in they were talking about the opencritic one and I kind of assumed that was it.

It's kind of hard to keep up being so disconnected now.

I hadn't even heard of discord until yesterday. Does this mean I'm old?

Illucio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#714  Edited By Illucio

Was banned earlier this year due to false assumptions of my views due to poor moderation. Was a long time member and it's a shame to see the place go. After I was banned I felt extremely lost without posting in the community I had loved. Allegations aside, a lot of the problems with the moderation team with many good mods leaving in the past, and seeing how everyone was so quick to abandon EvilLore just sort of shows how bad everything was internal.

There is a lot of things I really wanted to ask the staff directly but was never given a method or secure way of doing so without being ban. There was no way to ever discuss the site's staff or moderation as a whole without the thread being locked or people being banned.

It hurt being banned from the site, it hurt never being able to discuss that with anyone, and it hurt not ever being able to explain myself. Then again, I'm sure many who were temp or permabanned or threatened with the ban hammer from the site might feel similar angst. I feel slightly justified in some way seeing the site down proving my thoughts that recent events made the site the way it is today, but I will forever miss the discussion and community the place gave.

bathala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pipefishuk: discord is more like your good ol' chat room with invites

Igniz12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#716  Edited By Igniz12

What is the consensus on which forum is the new forum? In the discord I'm in they were talking about the opencritic one and I kind of assumed that was it.

It's kind of hard to keep up being so disconnected now.

I hadn't even heard of discord until yesterday. Does this mean I'm old?

Alot posting up on SL&ENT, some on waypoint forums. On SL&ENT already ppl trying to revive the old OT topics feel.

deim0s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#717  Edited By deim0s

@pipefishuk: Nah, age doesn't count. You didn't need it, until now.

PipefishUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had a look at Waypoint. Can't really get with that layout. I frequent a few other forums that use that BBSystem and they're fine. But on Waypoint it just doesn't work for me.

SL&ENT seems better.

I can totally see why existing users on those forums could get mildly disgruntled and get the feeling they're being swamped.

The revived forum though. Opencritic or this ResetEra? I wonder if there'll be a split?

gamespawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another refugee checking in. Had no idea where to go all weekend. Then I remembered the GB references in a few posts so here I am. Every time I open the browser, instinct leads me to a 503 page and then I remember what happened. Totally sucks, but I'm glad this thread exists. Community seems pretty cool so far.

16_philo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OpenCritic forum admin said they will disband the forum if the community leaders choose ResetEra and ask them to do so.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For any GAF folks that stick around, here's a brief tip: While Giant Bomb is certainly a smaller community and the rate with which discussions occur is much slower than GAF (this thread itself is the fastest-growing thread I've ever seen here), you shouldn't worry about the boards being split up between games. If you've only been here on a mobile device, you might not have realized that you can actually set which types of new threads pop up on the main forum page.

For example, if you look at the main forum page now, you'll see threads for Assassin's Creed Origins, Destiny 2, and Shadow of War. There's a long-running megathread for fighting games in general. You can customize what you see, it might be easier to do on a computer or laptop, though.

Just wanted to share that little tidbit, since I've seen a lot of you commenting on the forums being split up between games.

thepotatoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#722  Edited By thepotatoman

@khansolo said:

Hey guys another gaf refugee. After my spinal cord injury, the main website I would visit was Neogaf 24/7. The main thing I really want from this place is a thread for dragon ball super/Dragon Ball z dokkan battle/ and a thread for box office. If I could get any of these it would be worth it, thanks.

It feels weird to finish the recent Dragon Ball Super episode and not knowing where to go to talk about it. I need somewhere to make fun of Cabba and hype up the next Caulifla vs goku fight.

choppasmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#725  Edited By BladeOfCreation

@thepotatoman:

Giant Bomb has a running thread on anime. I don't follow it myself, but I think the OP updates frequently and there's an active discussion on what people are currently watching. It's usually on the first page or two of the forums.

https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic-31/anime-and-cartoon-megathread-v-vaya-con-dios-grape-1790384/#3344

BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Toparaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@illucio: I do hope that the new forum has the community vote on new moderators. Evilore was an authoritarian hypocrite, and no doubt that carried over to some of the mods he picked. MHWilliams was one of the better ones, and didn't have the creepy cult of personality that a lot of the others did.

bkaREV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I see any of the old mods back at it on the new site then I'm not signing up, simple as that. I'm sure many former GAFers feel similarly.

Illucio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still remember a few mods who I personally kept seeing the same problems from, if I see any of them on the new site nothing has changed. It's going to be hard getting my news moving forward now though.

ramb0211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#730  Edited By ramb0211

Posting here just to get a feel for things. Been a GB member longer than a GAF member to be honest. Just never really came for the forums. I'll be around for a while I expect. Checking out slaent and this just to see what happens with everything.

Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

derFeef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell I missed all of this on the weekend, this is so sad and also scary.

RIP my Giantbomb Gaf community - I will follow everyone who I recognize on here :(

gogosox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was on gaf for about 7 years so its a bit rough for me because you kind of get into a routine of checking gaf when your bored or your just messing around on the internet. I was in a lot of different communities over there. Soulsgaf, nflgaf, gbgaf, rpggaf and a few others. It sucks to lose access to those communities but what Tyler is accused of is pretty heinous and I couldn't in good faith keep posting there anymore if any of that was true. I know some people from the site are trying to put together stuff new sites like reset era but I'm going to take a wait and see approach and see how that pans out. In the meantime, I'll start posting on here again and I've signed up for the waypoint forums. I've been around here for a while and been following the crew since Gamespot (even left gamespot in protest when they fired Jeff) but I don't post on the forums very often as I find them hard to navigate. Waypoint seems nice and I'm obviously a big fan of Patrick and Austin so I'll give a try and see if I like it over there.

Zera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#734  Edited By Zera

I actually wasn’t a member on GAF just cause I never signed up, but I did lurk it every single day since 2009-10 so it’s kinda sad to see it go. I’ll miss it as it was my main source for a lot of entertainment stuff. I’ll gladly take part in the new site though if it’s successful. I’ve never really dabbed into GB much, but it looks like a cool place!

simenruud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#735  Edited By simenruud

GAFugee here (my username was Truant), I was closing in on my 10th year as a member. This whole situation is just awful, and I hope the victims won't be harassed further now that her name is out in the open.

pkmango7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The GAF OT's were one of a kind. Even as a non-member I lurked them occasionally for news/info since there was a thread for damn near every niche, with lots of deep cuts, savvy discussion, and bugfixes. Not without their own bad eggs of course but it sure beat a meme machine subreddit or some guy's Discord.

GB doesn't always have an active community for say, Total War, Falcom, or the latest Etrian Odyssey. That said, the individual game forums here are at least relaxed and diverse in users compared to other sites, which I often find refreshing.

Toparaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#737  Edited By Toparaman

@shaanyboi: Thanks! Can you give me an invite to the GAF discord? (I was MangoMadness on GAF.) Discord username is TheMadMango.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This isn't directly related to the NeoGAF thing, but since there are a bunch of new users here (or at least, users who rarely use the forums) I thought I'd post a little FYI: If you see a bunch of spam pages, it's because Giant Bomb's Wiki can make it appear fairly high in search rankings (especially internationally). Mods are usually pretty good at removing them quickly, but sometimes they can seem to hang around a little longer around now (when Europe is only just waking up, and the US is going to sleep). They try hard to stop spam messages, but the spammers keep changing tactics (most recently they seem to have some loophole with polls). Hopefully the site redesign on the horizon will stop them for good.

The Mods have asked us, if we see them, to flag them and not bump the threads with comments.

Hope you're all feeling welcome and enjoying your time on these forums (whether you plan to stay or not). <3

derFeef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there a list of GAF GB community members that equal them to giantbomb forums? :)
I would like to follow everyone - I am going to miss it :(

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think people should be on here asking for Discord invites and I would advise that people not give them out. As much as I would also like one it is far too easy to set up an account here and there are a lot of GG/ Alt-Right trolls who would love nothing more than to wreck the new community in its infancy.

bathala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thepotatoman: hell yeah

That episode was funny. Vegeta getting called second fiddle ?

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went from here to Gaf fulltime a few years ago. It was a great place to stay up to date on world/gaming news.

I think I left this site around the same time that Dave left. It's not as fun without him constantly coming up with crazy forum redesigns and general shenanigans.

Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toparaman: Mods have locked the Discord channel, so we can't get new users in. I think it's more just a matter of moderation considering a ton of trolls tried to infiltrate the channel and flood it with shit. The new site will supposedly be live later today/tomorrow.

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shaanyboi: I'm glad that things are happening so quickly.

Can't wait to see what the new place is like.

kellar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#745  Edited By kellar

Is anything up yet? is the discord on lock-down?

choppasmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hidys: it's funny but rather sad to me that these people projecting their hateful rhetoric on GAF when they're the ones so bitter and hateful. Even going as far to say "lol Gaffers were in their bubble and now they'll see how the REAL world works and see how WRONG they are lol" Yeah, sure kids.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@toparaman: Mods have locked the Discord channel, so we can't get new users in. I think it's more just a matter of moderation considering a ton of trolls tried to infiltrate the channel and flood it with shit. The new site will supposedly be live later today/tomorrow.

Oh that's why I couldn't join it. Lame.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Kind of a bummer. I wasn't a member and often despised the ego that some part of that community had regarding the forum, but it was basically where I went to get most of my news, leaks, reveals and so on. If something was happening in gaming, chances were there would be a thread on Gaf. Made things really easy.

Oh well, at least it went down for a good reason.

Mr_Moogle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The gaming side of the forum was a fantastic place to discuss videogames. You had a great mix of gamers and industry people talking about the industry. It's going to be tough to fill the void.

The Off-Topic side on the other hand was a left wing echo chamber and depressing as hell, especially since the election. I don't know why it had to go that way. I can understand taking a hard line on the alt-right, racism, sexism etc but they took it too far. It became very humourless and unwelcoming.

MatthewRoberts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NeoGAF got far too militant in its political views. Unless you had what they deemed to be the 'right' opinion, you would basically get grouped up on and banned.

I am for gay/trans right, anti-racism, believe there is a sexist issue in society and gaming, etc etc, but most people on the board took it too far.

It makes it all the more hilarious that Evilore is actually a sex offender (and of course one mod is a confirmed paedophile, and a few others acted in a way which suggested they were too).

And, worst of all, the political side of if infiltrated gaming, to the point where most game discussions somehow got heated and talked about social issues etc when it wasn't really needed.

I have no interest in a NeoGAF 2.0 which is started by these same people, with the same views enforced.

I will miss GB-GAF though.