I Thought... (Election topic)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

You have really done it now, America. I am hopeful this only turns into another endless well of humor. But I am afraid this will get nasty. As nasty as he is. I mean, he is legitimately an awful person, someone I would actively steer around at any party.
The future just got a little bit darker.
O, Discordia!

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Loading Video...

All joking aside, this is who is now president of the United States. I don't care for either Clinton or Trump, but I understand peoples fears when you see stuff like this.

Anyhow, I wish my American friends all the best... have a feeling you're gonna need it. Stay safe.

RxRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@zeik said:

@rxryan: We also didn't just vote a Jihadi Muslim as president of the United States. The argument that Trump is a thing because they don't want to be labled as a bigot or a sexist while he goes around spouting bigoted and sexist things is illogical. If the Republican party, and nation as a whole, flatly rejected Trump and the things he said and did and instead voted in a candidate that rejected such talk and tried to change the image of the republican party your argument would make sense. Hell, even I might support them. But that didn't happen. They openly accepted and rewarded all the awful things he said and now he's probably President. How can I conclude anything else besides the people who just voted for him are a-okay with what he has said and done?

I hold no inherent animosity toward the republican party, and certainly not republican's like you, but I do have serious issues with the vast majority of what Trump has said and done and those who voted for him are complicit in that.

By this notion, all of HRC's voters are complicit in calling blacks "super predators". You set the standard, you adhere to the standard.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

The darkness has won. I thought for one brief shining moment there was a hope. On a personal level, I've made great strides. I've lost like 60 pounds over the course of six months and got on antidepressants. Not perfect, I need to be more social and I kind of abandoned a lot of my career goals. This just makes me want to shove food and booze into my face until I know no longer recognize reality. Who wants to be a more complete human being in this kind of world?

It's only politics, as someone on antidepressants myself for a good while now I recommend staying away from any news whatsoever... you'll feel better for it. Honestly, news coverage is designed to be negative which doesn't help at all when you have depression.

RxRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@personandstuff said:

The darkness has won. I thought for one brief shining moment there was a hope. On a personal level, I've made great strides. I've lost like 60 pounds over the course of six months and got on antidepressants. Not perfect, I need to be more social and I kind of abandoned a lot of my career goals. This just makes me want to shove food and booze into my face until I know no longer recognize reality. Who wants to be a more complete human being in this kind of world?

It's only politics, as someone on antidepressants myself for a good while now I recommend staying away from any news whatsoever... you'll feel better for it. Honestly, news coverage is designed to be negative which doesn't help at all when you have depression.

Good advice here honestly. I avoided politics until ~2 years ago. I wish I still avoided it. I managed to duck out for a couple months leading up to tonight and was much happier for it. Now to do it for an extended amount of time.

And a little secret: you don't have to actively root out backwards, racist, bigoted people. Society as a whole have already decided where we are heading and it is time to come together and help one another move forward. The dumb people will be left behind to the shadows. You'll never eliminate evil... but you will make it virtually impossible for it to exist in modern society in any meaningful capacity. Cheers all. Let's work together. Don't panic... we will be ok.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

@rxryan said:
@alistercat said:

@rxryan said:

Maybe this is harder to grasp for those that haven't experienced it. I myself have been labeled a bigot simply because I am not a democrat.

That's just a small taste of what it's like to be on the receiving end of racism and sexism. Like, say, if somebody called Mexican immigrants rapists and then people wanted that guy to be their president.

Hey, I totally get that. At the same time, you'd think the party that supposedly fights against that stuff would avoid participating in it as well. If they had, and if they didn't treat opposition as sub-humans, this election would've been drastically different. Trump wouldn't have even sniffed the GOP nomination. And we'd ALL be better off now with no Clinton or Trump.

That's true but I would say statements like that are a boon for trump while clinton supporters try and fail to wave it away as a thing of the past. I wouldn't consider them to be equal sins either. Considering how thoroughly republicans won you can see why people might think that people supporting the party agree with him. That said, I would have voted Hillary if I was in the US just to stop trump from winning and I don't agree with her on much, if anything, so you can't assign intent to votes so easily.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemanarmyy: 2016 already took care of most of the awesome musicians, so there's that.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rxryan: I'm not here trying to argue I voted for Hilary because she represented me as a human being. You're trying to say that Trump was a success because Republican's are tired of being labeled as bigots, while everything about him represents the opposite. My vote for Hilary was not meant to prove anything to anybody else. That parallel doesn't really work.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By OurSin_360

@rxryan said:
@zeik said:

@rxryan: We also didn't just vote a Jihadi Muslim as president of the United States. The argument that Trump is a thing because they don't want to be labled as a bigot or a sexist while he goes around spouting bigoted and sexist things is illogical. If the Republican party, and nation as a whole, flatly rejected Trump and the things he said and did and instead voted in a candidate that rejected such talk and tried to change the image of the republican party your argument would make sense. Hell, even I might support them. But that didn't happen. They openly accepted and rewarded all the awful things he said and now he's probably President. How can I conclude anything else besides the people who just voted for him are a-okay with what he has said and done?

I hold no inherent animosity toward the republican party, and certainly not republican's like you, but I do have serious issues with the vast majority of what Trump has said and done and those who voted for him are complicit in that.

By this notion, all of HRC's voters are complicit in calling blacks "super predators". You set the standard, you adhere to the standard.

The problem is most people don't know or aren't old enough to even remember that, trump was saying racist shit just a few months ago lol. I think it be pretty hard to find somebody who hasn't heard at least one of Trumps racist or sexist rants.

FYI that's one of my main reasons for never voting for Hilary btw, in this or any past election. The only reason this race was even close was because both parties chose the absolute worst candidates available.

And knowingly supporting someone who you know brags about sexual assault absolutely makes someone complicit in it, and it sure doesn't disprove the stereotype people have about republicans. *shrugs*

wildpomme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a privileged white male and I feel destroyed; I can't even imagine what it feels like to be a minority right now. 2016 has been the worst; 2017-2020's not looking so hot either.

Joe423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, America. I thought us in the UK voting for Brexit was stupid but this...

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

So game of the year is coming up huh?

Yep. No Man's Sky is the GOTY we deserve :P

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#164 rmanthorp  Moderator

I'm really sorry folks. I wish the best for you and your country going forward. This sucks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Democrats lost because the middle and working classes felt they had someone who actually cared about them. Hillary was the politician of the ultra rich and the ultra poor, she was a corrupt bedfellow of Wall Street and a horrible person to boot. This is 100% the fault of the DNC and Hillary supporters. Sanders could have easily beaten him, but the establishment wanted the annoited queen, not the humble oaf.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

This is pretty nice no matter what side you fall on. Thank you Stephen colbert.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for the_last_starfighter
The_Last_Starfighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disgusted.

linkster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is such a surreal thing. I'm sorry America, I would be fucking out if it if I was American right now.
I'm really curious to see the first episode of Colbert and Daily with this news, I have no idea how the liberals are gonna respond to this. Lots of kill me now jokes I guess.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sergio said:

The main reason Trump managed to pull this off was because he promised factory jobs to working class whites in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. That's it. Yes, a lot of racists support him, but not all of his supporters are racists. Trump himself is a racist, but it seems people are perfectly fine ignoring all his faults that would disqualify any other candidate as long as he brings back jobs.

As a Pennsylvania native who has two parents who worked in manufacturing and both lost their jobs when their company decided to close the plant and reopen it in Mexico before either of them were able to retire, I've got some bad fucking news for anyone who voted for Trump because they think those jobs are coming back. They aren't. That ship has sailed. The plant was 500,000 sq ft in size on a 70 acre campus. The infrastructure required to support such a thing has collapsed. The wages required to keep it competitive would now be below minimum. And automation is slowly but surely creeping into these sectors and will continue to do so.

This incident is not isolated. The circumstances required for its revival are not unique. And if manufacturing ever returns, it won't employ the people who hope it will.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh, this election really put a point on the broken aspects of the US election system for me.

1) the messed up primary system. For Democrats, it's very questionable whether the party candidate actually reflected the will of party *members* vs. party *leaders*. For Republicans, at least it's apparent that Trump had real support within the party, but at the same time his nomination resulted in obvious cracks forming among the elite (fueled largely by the ugliness of that season).

2) mirroring that, the insanity of the electoral college...how does it even make sense to allow a 1% swing to utterly change the outcome of the election? If you live in a non-swing state and aren't voting majority, you're practically disenfranchised. While in swing states you get to enjoy pandering, deception, and suppression tactics. It sucks that on a state-by-state basis, the existing structure does serve those in power, and so it's hard to imagine this changing...but I'd much prefer a system where every vote was worth the same.

3) Partisanship. I know people who voted Trump because he's a "republican" and people who voted Hillary because she's a "democrat". Without really trying to figure out whether the candidates' values (such as they are) or policy positions actually align with why their ideas of what those parties represent. This doesn't seem like a rare thing...the rhetoric by both parties leans heavily on partisanship & cherry-picked stereotypes, while ignoring actual facts about the candidates / platforms. I'm probably too cynical about this one but I don't really trust either party to act 100% in good faith.

Personally I'm not happy Trump won, but I'm not really that surprised. HRC is a disaster of a candidate.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@mirado said:

@giantstalker said:

Martin Shkreli is playing Once Upon a Time in Shaolin right now, on Periscope, to celebrate Trump's victory. Not making this up.

Not gonna lie, if Trump as president gets us some Wu-Tang, he's automatically better than, say Warren G. Harding. Maybe James Buchanan, too.

Did somebody say Warren G?

Loading Video...

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By OurSin_360

@razzuel said:

I'm a privileged white male and I feel destroyed; I can't even imagine what it feels like to be a minority right now. 2016 has been the worst; 2017-2020's not looking so hot either.

Feels like shit but it's not much different than it always is honestly.

Democrats lost because the middle and working classes felt they had someone who actually cared about them. Hillary was the politician of the ultra rich and the ultra poor, she was a corrupt bedfellow of Wall Street and a horrible person to boot. This is 100% the fault of the DNC and Hillary supporters. Sanders could have easily beaten him, but the establishment wanted the annoited queen, not the humble oaf.

Which amazes me since he's been the ultra rich his entire life and brags about the benefits he blamed Clinton for lol, which is hilarious since Hillary was the only of the two to actually be middle class at any point. I don't think that had all that much to do with it honestly, i also don't think it was the majority of "hey we aren't racists!" i think it was the emails especially being brought up a few days before election(for what turned out to be no reason). People don't trust Clinton, and for good reason, why they trust Trump though I will never understand. Wiki leaks had a lot to do with it as well, even if half the shit isn't even verified it didn't even need to be. Clinton was bad, but i think after 4 years the country would survive, if Trump does half of what he plans who knows what shape this country (or world for that matter) will be in.

TechiesRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

i am destroyed.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're going to look on the brighter side, there will definitely be reform and more questioning going on after this election. The DNC is going to have to really go through some reform as well as the GOP, that is if the economy doesn't tank tomorrow and Russia doesnt invade the Baltics... otherwise we will just get 4 years of the DNC blaming Trump for all the problems and how Hillary was this Knight in shining armor that could have stopped it all when that isn't really the case. The media itself was incredibly ignorant on their polls. Did they just forget about polling rural white non-educated America? This really shows how naive most people are to discount that huge population and how one person can just say a few words to ignite a massive turnout in this area. They probably will be the new face of prime voters for the next decade unless in these next 4-8 years they finally figure out that Republicans aren't really for them.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac: Bravo for something other than Regulate.

(I mean, I love Regulate, but it's still nice see someone pull something else from that reference.)

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#178  Edited By Blackout62

Well everyone, I hope you can all hold strong for the next four years. At this time I recall the regretfully earned cynicism, bitterness, and skepticism toward my fellow Americans from eight years of Bush. For those who also remember that time I think we will need to be prepared for much worse. As Austin Walker said on Waypoint's podcast yesterday "Things were easier before you knew you were surrounded by snakes. We all just thought 'well, of course there's a snake or two but you feel like it's mostly iguanas out there.' Turns out, lotta hidden snakes". I fear it's going to be harder to live in America for a long time. Perhaps steel yourself with everything you learned from previous harder times but also do just about everything you can to keep your heart strong, take the time for whatever it is that can keep your hopes up, and be safe. It's going to be a long journey and doubt there will be much good to be found in it.

"Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise".

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@mirado: Oh, I agree. Those jobs are never coming back. These people are going to be worse off than they are now. The best they can hope for from Trump are infrastructure jobs that they could have had with Clinton. That's something both of them were promoting.

betterley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The results are so surprising to everyone because of threads like this.

The silent majority can't talk about supporting Trump for fear of being demonized and called an uneducated bigot, which has been implied here. I'm not saying Trump was my first choice, but there's absolutely no way I could support Hilary. No way.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@microshock: it's a bubble effect. In the other now defunct political thread at one point I said Trump would win because there are a ton of angry people in the shadows ready to support him. I then changed my mind after the media completely backed Hillary and tried to destroy him. If anything, I'm happy to know that the Media and money has far less influence than it used to in politics. Trump basically ran a campaign through social media with a fraction of the financial, media, and political support of Clinton.

Wiseman4545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@microshock: A bunch of individuals expressing displeasure with Trump immediately after he gets elected president is not a "hive-mind". As shocking as it may be, there are lots of people out there that don't like Trump, and it also may shock you (it shouldn't) that the majority of the Giant Bomb userbase is going to be those that don't. You should probably accept that, because it's not going to change just because you don't like it.

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted for McCain in 2008. Trump goes beyond partisan politics. He's just a shit choice.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sergio: not at all true. He wants to limit trade agreements and punish companies who abuse outsourcing. At the least it will make companies tread carefully over the next few years. Also, TPP is probably done, thank god.

The biggest benefit to most families is his economic plan, especially for childcare. Its going to save my family thousands of dollars a year.

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What? The pussy grabber should get a minimum amount of supporters no matter where you go on the internet?

Grow up?

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@shindig said:

Nevermind, guys. Pot is legal in California now.

Numb the pain, America.

OceanEve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wynnduffy: Of course not. But we now have the most unqualified person in our nations history as president. Regardless of someone's personal politics it's hard to deny that man has no business being in the white house, I think that 100% demystifies the presidency and shows not only children, but everyone else watching around the world that you don't have to do anything to become a leader. No applying yourself, no actual plan or thought process, no experience whatsoever. Trump has an entire platform that terrifies me not only as a trans woman, but as someone who, like alot of people, look to our representatives to have our best I interests in heart. Maybe everything will be fine, but with a Republican controlled senate and congress with Donald Trump at the helm, I fail to feel anything but despair for the next four years (maybe two if things get balanced in 2018). I understand though why some would feel different as that's politics for you.

applegong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow. All the polls said (except maybe LA Times) Clinton is gonna win. Just wow.

Is there any redeeming qualities of Trump now? If he is the type who like to play up and off the crowd, then maybe we haven't seen the real Trump yet.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Trump will have qualified people around him and he's already backing down alot. It will be 4-8 years of republican policy. Not cool for everyone, but the USA will survive.

But maybe it's time to think about the political climate and process in the USA? Because this election was some of the most negative and rotten shit ever with two candidates I would never want to vote for.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By WynnDuffy

@giantlennonx_x said:

@wynnduffy: Of course not. But we now have the most unqualified person in our nations history as president. Regardless of someone's personal politics it's hard to deny that man has no business being in the white house, I think that 100% demystifies the presidency and shows not only children, but everyone else watching around the world that you don't have to do anything to become a leader. No applying yourself, no actual plan or thought process, no experience whatsoever. Trump has an entire platform that terrifies me not only as a trans woman, but as someone who, like alot of people, look to our representatives to have our best I interests in heart. Maybe everything will be fine, but with a Republican controlled senate and congress with Donald Trump at the helm, I fail to feel anything but despair for the next four years (maybe two if things get balanced in 2018). I understand though why some would feel different as that's politics for you.

Trump isn't the problem for LGBT, Pence is. Hillary is hardly pro-LGBT when she has repeatedly said marriage is between a man and a woman. She's only flipped on that recently for votes, who is anyone to say any of her talk would be held up in office?

I'm more worried about what would have happened if Hillary got in and escalated tensions further with Russia.

Anyhoo, people can hate on Trump all they like. The fact of the matter is, the democrats chose a terrible candidate and that's why we're in this situation. The democrats did the politics version of what Microsoft did with the Xbox One launch. Bernie would have won by a landslide.

betterley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By betterley

@giantlennonx_x:

As a trans woman, what terrifies you about Trump?
I'm not asking to be facetious, I'd just like to know.

Also, I think it's unfair to say Trump hasn't worked hard, and that he hasn't applied himself.
He built a billion dollar empire-- that doesn't come easy.
I know he's not a career politician, but I think that's the last thing our country needs.

wildpomme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gundogan: Trump has called climate change a Chinese hoax, he will have a climate change denier leading the EPA, and he will have a fossil fuel lobbyist leading the DOE. Not to mention we still have a Republican congress. There's a pretty good chance things are not going to be fine.

Stara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just woke up. Best of luck and love to you guys and well, everyone, really.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@giantlennonx_x:

As a trans woman, what terrifies you about Trump?

I'm not asking to be facetious, I'd just like to know.

Also, I think it's unfair to say Trump hasn't worked hard, and that he hasn't applied himself.

He built a billion dollar empire-- that doesn't come easy.

I know he's not a career politician, but I think that's the last thing our country needs.

He's come around a lot on LGBT issues but he's not as strong in favor as most of us would hope. He has two major issues with the LGBT community, the first is that he brought Pence in as his VP who is extremely anti-LGBT, and the second is that he would vote in favor of banning trans individuals from using the bathroom of their choice.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@razzuel: I said will survive, not be fine and make it a happy place for everyone. :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone have a status update from Bill Clinton? I would hate to be him right now.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck me, I knew it was going to happen. Love to all you yanks, I truly hope things aren't going to be as bad as we all fear. Fuck Trump.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck me, I knew it was going to happen. Love to all you yanks, I truly hope things aren't going to be as bad as we all fear. Fuck Trump.

Well, the one benefit for all of us is that we probably aren't going to war with Russia, something I was pretty sure was going to happen if Clinton was elected.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#200  Edited By Redhotchilimist

I need to follow less democrats on social media. Don't know if this is how it is in other European countries, but in mine, the normal saying is that democrats are the closest we've got to our own parties and they're still farther to the right than anyone here. The republicans are basically the bad guys every year, in Ryckert speech, and these last years in particular, I've heard nothing but shit about Trump. Article after tweet after rant after news report, all of it making him seem completely despicable. I was expecting, and hoping, that Clinton would take it easily. So what am I supposed to take away from all this? I don't care about politics a lot. I can't even vote in this election. But it was freaking unavoidable to see it all the time! I wish I could vote! But for all the 100% negative coverage I've gotten of Trump, that's the guy you as a nation support. It's so frustrating to sit and watch, and my only consolation is that maybe the awful things I've read are only part of the truth because the American video game people I follow are part of a bubble, and republicans are all humans after all. The alternatives are all worse. From the reactions, you'd think it's the end of the world, and I can't believe that's the case.