I try to keep photos of myself from being online, crazy?

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I am not overly self conscious. I feel confident enough in my looks. However, in this day and age of facebook, and such, I aggressively try to keep my image from being on there or anything else. I suppose I grew up in the earlier days of the *social internet* where the motto was don't tell anyone where they are going to live or they are going to kidnap you or some dumb thing. Obviously this is not the reason I do this to this day. But I just don't like it.

I guess I am the sort that has the mindset of not feeling anyone needs to know a thing about me more than I directly tell them. Maybe that is where it comes from. I am not some paranoid freak nor would you think I am. But I am just someone who does value his privacy.

And by aggressively whenever a picture shows up online, I do ask my family member or whoever to remove it. I am certain I seem like a an odd fellow at times being like this, but I just feel like I don't need my personal information to be known. I understand in this day and age total and complete removal of such things is rather impossible, and I accept that, but I just prefer not to have such things on there. I just value my privacy in a world that seems to no longer I suppose. Am I crazy for this?

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Not crazy at all. I fucking hate it; why on Earth are people putting pictures of me on the internet?

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By probablytuna

Absolutely not, if it's your face in those photos you have every right to have it taken down if you're uncomfortable with it being on the internet.

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I am glad to hear I am not the only person in the world who is like this. Sometimes I wonder.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Considering all the data collection going on nowadays an image of yourself is hardly important or worth worrying about. I would agree that people should ask for permission when it's a picture with multiple people in it and they're going to post it online.

nate6858

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I'm the same way. I don't particularly like being photographed either. It just seems stupid to me, "Hey everybody! Gather around and pose uncomfortably in a way that you would never actually do for any reason! And smile! You're not doing it! We'll stand here all day until you can conjure up a half assed smile!" Man photographs are the worst.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are hot pics of me on GB if you search around.

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have any real information about me on the Internet at all, beyond a few photos on Facebook.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get especially aggravated, and have taken people's phones to delete the pictures, when people start snapping off photos at bars. You shouldn't have to worry about getting caught in a compromising position when trying to unwind a little bit.

donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't use facebook anymore, so i'm not really sure what photo's of me are online, but most of my friends are not the type to whip out a camera, so i'm going to guess not a lot.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just put them on GiantBomb instead.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tinfoil hat much? Anyone who expects any privacy in today's world is crazy, go back to the 1800s and stop using technology then. We live in an always on, always social world. Trying to stop it or avoid it is just silly.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By stonyman65

*puts on tinfoil hat*

It's kind of smart really. Internet anonymity is extremely important, especially these days with all of the spying and shit. If I could go back and erase all references and pictures to myself I would, but by now that shit has been out there for so long you could find all my shit easily if you bothered to look.

*takes tinfoil hat off*

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Krullban

I don't care at all. It's just my face.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That just shows you have something to hide.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

panvixyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't go so far as to call you CRAZY, maybe just unrealistic. We live in a super connected society and you can't really control this sort of thing anymore.

...That said, I take selfies to a degree that you would probably think I'd forget what my own goddamn face looked like if I didn't see it every other hour.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I dont mind , but if you dont wish to , its your right to demand so .

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By project343

@alavapenguin said:

And by aggressively whenever a picture shows up online, I do ask my family member or whoever to remove it.

This is where you move from sensible and cautious to... bananas. BANANAS. You need to stop being nuts, now!

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

I think it's obvious one of us is crazy and it ain't me...
I think it's obvious one of us is crazy and it ain't me...

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I prefer not having my information out there. Someone who really wanted to know, could probably find out justa bout everything about me on the net. But I still feel better if as little as possible is in view.

It helps to not have social media accounts that those photos can get tagged to :D.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#22  Edited By Icemael

@alavapenguin said:

I guess I am the sort that has the mindset of not feeling anyone needs to know a thing about me more than I directly tell them.

I have this, too. The only information available on my Facebook account is my name and my school (the latter being visible only to friends). No pictures, no interests, never "liked" anything. If you don't know me well enough in real life to know what I look like or what things I like, then why should you know those things? Why do you want to?

I really don't understand this desire to have everything you do, see, feel or think at any given movement be publicly available. It's like people have become incapable of enjoying a sunset, a vacation or a nice evening out with friends for what it actually is -- experiences are only real and important if you immortalize them with your cell phone camera, upload them to Facebook and tag them with the locations and the people present. Then, later on, you can look back at those entries and feel reassured in the fact that not only did you have a good time (you know this because you are smiling in the photographs you took), but all of your friends cared that you had a good time (you know this because the "likes" are right there -- if you want to, you can even count them to get the exact mathematical value of how much they care).

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@icemael said:

@alavapenguin said:

I guess I am the sort that has the mindset of not feeling anyone needs to know a thing about me more than I directly tell them.

I have this, too. The only information available on my Facebook account is my name and my school (the latter being visible only to friends). No pictures, no interests, never "liked" anything. If you don't know me well enough in real life to know what I look like or what things I like, then why should you know those things? Why do you want to?

I really don't understand this desire to have everything you do, see, feel or think at any given movement be publicly available. It's like people have been incapable of enjoying a sunset, a vacation or a nice evening out with friends for what it actually is -- experiences are only real and important if you immortalize them with your cell phone camera, upload them to Facebook and tag them with the locations and the people present. Then, later on, you can look back at those entries and feel reassured in the fact that not only did you have a good time (you know this because you are smiling in the photographs you took), but all of your friends cared that you had a good time (you know this because the "likes" are right there -- if you want to, you can even count them to get the exact mathematical value of how much they care).

What you are describing is just the progression of the family photo album dude. Or were your family bitter and boring like you and never take any pictures?

colorbrandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got any photo IDs? Guess what? You're in the system.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

Not crazy.

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like being photographed, but that's because I'm self conscious, not because I have concerns about the man or internet hacker gangs or whatever.

Anyway, I've gradually gotten over that. I have something of a minor public profile due to my work, and a part of that is my name and appearance being visible to strangers.

Not an issue

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I feel the same exact way, I value what I can keep private especially in this day and age. I like being able to keep things to myself and not be bombarded/ bombard others about everything that I do. It also allows me to start a relationship with someone on a blank slate and not have them search for me on FB and have them know all about me. I'm not paranoid about people doing that, I just know some people do do that.

Personal privacy is like a commodity nowadays as weird as that is. Maybe not so weird in the world of today.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@icemael said:

I really don't understand this desire to have everything you do, see, feel or think at any given movement be publicly available. It's like people have become incapable of enjoying a sunset, a vacation or a nice evening out with friends for what it actually is -- experiences are only real and important if you immortalize them with your cell phone camera, upload them to Facebook and tag them with the locations and the people present. Then, later on, you can look back at those entries and feel reassured in the fact that not only did you have a good time (you know this because you are smiling in the photographs you took), but all of your friends cared that you had a good time (you know this because the "likes" are right there -- if you want to, you can even count them to get the exact mathematical value of how much they care).

Think of it as a public diary or journal. I mean people wrote in journals and diaries to keep track of the memories they had. People make scrap books to show to others. FB is no different, it just made it easier to do and much more easier to share with others. It's sharing experiences with each other, the same thing people have been doing for ages. Some people just post things on their FB for themselves not really meaning for everyone to see. I think of it the same as talking out loud to yourself just for the sake of talking out loud. Some people don't mind their lives being out there for all to see.

Capsicum_Homie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah that's totally sane, the internet is a harsh mistress.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I think it's fine. I personally don't care about my own photo and even if it's a bad one I would laugh at it.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Vuud

All photos of me on the internet are from the waist down, so I don't mind. You're just paranoid.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

@mrpandaman: @alexw00d: In my eyes, snapping a couple of shots at big family occasions like birthdays and weddings or writing short entries in a private diary at the end of the day to keep track of important stuff and/or vent emotions and thoughts is quite different from obsessively photo-documenting everything that happens in your life and publishing it online for people to "like". Consider how much Facebook activity would drop if you couldn't get feedback on your entries in the form of "likes" and one-word comments.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By fattony12000

I've been doing that since 1991. Up until pretty recently, actually.

My recent facial digital debuts (...) have come about due to charity and death. Just like Ben Franklin said they would, back in 1789.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care what kind of info is online somewhere about me.
Hell I have a Facebook, Giant Bomb, and Twitter account so my information is probably sold all over the place at this point.

Even then if I only had photos of me online I wouldn't worry too much.
Not like I'm holding a sign with my name and phone number on it everytime someone takes a picture of me.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Tell the truth, it's because you are horrendously ugly in real life.

Also it's too late to worry, i already know what you look like and my plans for your kidnap are underway.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Jokes, don't call the police on me.

Cubical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No picture of me has ever passed through the internet and never will. Any sent picture of me for any reason is done by normal mail with a postage stamp.

Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Sploder

I used to be like that, but now I send pictures of my junk to anyone who asks.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I try to keep pictures of myself from being even offline, duderino...

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Christoffer

I am the same. Once I wanted to get the info and the pictures off the social networks, I realized how fucking difficult it was. Wait what, I have to explain why I don't want you to post shitty pictures and info on a network where everyone have access? How do I start to explain this?

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're probably already out there. I'm not saying you're crazy, just that there are cameras everywhere.

seveword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Except for incidental random pictures that I would have no idea of but I presume happen anyways, I have no physical presence on the internet. No Facebook and no picture-whoring profiles on any other website. I don't care about you, why the hell would you care about me?

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@sploder said:

I used to be like that, but now I send pictures of my junk to anyone who asks.

I umm... I would like it if.... um ..... never mind

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#45  Edited By TechHits

@alavapenguin said:

And by aggressively whenever a picture shows up online, I do ask my family member or whoever to remove it.

This is where you move from sensible and cautious to... bananas. BANANAS. You need to stop being nuts, now!

why? what do you think will happen if there are pictures of you on the internet?

How do people in your real life react when you tell them to take all the pictures of you off facebook and instagram?