I've never watched an Anime, where do I start?

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

if you want to try a full range of stuff to see what you would be into i would say give these shows a try

• cowboy bebop
  • ah my goddess
  • lucky star
  • melancholy of haruhi suzumiya
  • death note
  • i haven't seen it but i understand attack on titan is a really good action show

if you liked dragon ball z when you were younger (over the top action melodrama ect) maybe give some of the big shonen shows a try such as bleach, one piece, naruto, toriko however if you try bleach watch past the first season as it changes its show type afterwards.

i wouldn't watch akira straight away as some people feel its only as popular because of a mix of there being less translated anime at the time and nostalgia. if you watch it after other shows/movies then you can probably make a fair assessment on your own terms.

gainax shows have been consistently good my personal favorite being flcl (its short and shows off there signature shift in tone in a smaller time frame) but gurren lagann and neon genesis evangelion are good popular choices with good reason.

stuff to avoid: bible black, eiken, angel cop and urotsukidoji (better known as legend of the overfiend)

and i will end this post with why i said never watch angel cop

Loading Video...

Dacnomaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What's with the dub hate? Are they really that bad? Or should I just google the ones that need subs...for example I watched the first episode of FMA: Brotherhood, and it brought back memories of the old Yu Gi Oh days when I was a kid. But with something like Death Note a lot of people are saying subbed is better...

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Darji

What's with the dub hate? Are they really that bad? Or should I just google the ones that need subs...for example I watched the first episode of FMA: Brotherhood, and it brought back memories of the old Yu Gi Oh days when I was a kid. But with something like Death Note a lot of people are saying subbed is better...

subbed is always better because they put way more emotion and feelings in these voices. Also don't watch Death note. It is really falling apart in the end and you will regret watching it.

CrunchyPickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By CrunchyPickles

I think some people don't like dubs because the English voices tend to be too different from the characters' original voices. Also dubs can sometimes be more censored than subs, but I could be wrong about both. I don't pay much attention to that whole debate.

But yeah I'd probably have to say my top 5 recommendations are:

-JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (the recent version by David Production, they've made parts 1 and 2 so far, just under 30 episodes in total)

-Paranoia Agent

-Cowboy Bebop

-Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

-Big O

I haven't seen Attack on Titan but I hear it's real good too.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By shinjin977

it really depends on the series. I speak Japanese personally but certain series actually sounds better in English. Example of dubs that are better or as good as original; Black Lagoon, Ghost in the Shell(this one is a toss up), Cowboy Bebob and FMA(equal imo).

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

@dacnomaniac: those all sound like good shows to start with, your friend has good taste even if they are relatively depressing... in a good way.

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the anime community has its reasons for disliking dubs but they all seem to boil down to they want to keep intact the Japanese nature of the show such as pronunciation of names and some jokes don't work when translated and they need to be changed when they get dubbed. to be honest the majority of dubs after say 2005 are not that horrible and most poles taken of anime fans the split is normally 50/50 on what they watch but sub people tend to watch shows earlier (via fan subs) and are vocal when it isn't the same when it gets taken into English.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By confusedowl

Has anyone suggested Darker Than Black yet? because that show is fucking awesome. Definitely in my top 10.

Samurai Champloo

D.Gray.Man

Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex

FMA: Brotherhood (Both are good I hear but I've only seen the entirety of Brotherhood)

If you're into weird shows I would also give Serial Experiments Lain, Higurashi no naku koro ni and paranoia agent a shot.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

See if you can reverse engineer the ages of the posters in this thread based on what era of anime they suggest! Hint: you probably can, because most people will suggest whatever the good anime were at the time they first got into anime (which I assume to occur between ages 6-16).

By this process, @soothsayergb is probably the oldest person in this thread.

Now just to buck my own trend, I'm going to suggest you watch original Speed Racer. Or better yet, original Astro Boy.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@dacnomaniac said:

As the title suggests. I have no fucking clue what to start watching. My friend recommended; Full Metal Alchemist, Death Note, and Attack On Titan. Are they decent recommendations?

How about you tell us first what kind of genre you normally like in movies or shows? mystery? Horror Romance? Comedy? Crime? Maybe you like sport? There are tons of great stuff out there especially if you are new but to give you the best ones for you we need to know what you like or dislike^^

Yeah what this dude said. Anime is like any other media, it has all sorts of genres and sub themes. It has romance, comedy, action, drama, you name it. Give us some details and I will give you a real recommendation.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Miyazaki films have some damn good animation, stories and dubs, and clearly exist within the culture without the esoteric nonsense you normally find in anime. So yeah, that's a good starting point.

Dacnomaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karkarov said:

@darji said:

@dacnomaniac said:

As the title suggests. I have no fucking clue what to start watching. My friend recommended; Full Metal Alchemist, Death Note, and Attack On Titan. Are they decent recommendations?

How about you tell us first what kind of genre you normally like in movies or shows? mystery? Horror Romance? Comedy? Crime? Maybe you like sport? There are tons of great stuff out there especially if you are new but to give you the best ones for you we need to know what you like or dislike^^

Yeah what this dude said. Anime is like any other media, it has all sorts of genres and sub themes. It has romance, comedy, action, drama, you name it. Give us some details and I will give you a real recommendation.

Anything that isn't too kid-ee, based on sport, domestic drama (Something like Desperate Housewives, or Eastenders) or romantic. Fuck that noise. Everything else I'm cool with. (E.G. Action, Comedy, Drama, Mystery, Crime).

mattscout007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Speaking of dubs, I actually preferred the Cowboy Bebop dub over the sub, and I know there's quite a few people that agree (and disagree I suppose). Just make sure you watch Cowboy Bebop no matter what you decide you prefer. Also I can throw in another confirmation that Attack on Titan is great.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noval: @do_the_manta_ray: @shockd: I have no idea how dark Anime actually gets, but these are the current shows I've been watching; Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, Spartacus, and Homeland. With that said I just started watching FMA: Brotherhood on Netflix and I like it so far...

Man, I've been out of the game for a while...

No matter what anyone says, it all boils down to taste or preference.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@dacnomaniac: Just watch Cowboy Bebop. To this day it is probably one of the best, if not the best, anime series.

Also recommended, if you're into fantasy at all, Berserk.

darkjester74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell would be my starting points. As others have suggested, you should look at what genres you like and find animes that suit that. Hulu is a fantastic source of anime, and new ones seem to come over from Japan in relatively short order.

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Budwyzer

My list of non-depressing anime to start with, that shouldn't make you sad to be alive.

• Naruto - super easy to get in to
  • Dragon Ball Z - Another easy one, as long as you don't mind a whole lot of grunting
  • Outlaw Star - Best anime ever
  • Gun X Sword (Personally I think it's Gun Sword and the X is just decoration)
  • Cowboy Bebop - Right there with Outlaw Star, same sort of atmosphere
  • Death Note - Completely psychological instead of guys pounding each other in the face
  • Wakfu - French anime, be prepared to read fast though (the only one I watch subbed as it isn't dubbed yet)

Also, I prefer dubs, as I like to watch anime while playing on the computer as a good source of background noise. And even when I am just watching the show I like to see the art that goes into it, not be stuck reading words at the bottom.

mousse_gallon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 42

#70  Edited By mousse_gallon

Movies

Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Lupin III "Castle of Cagliostro", Vampire Hunter D "Blood Lust", Galaxy Express 999

OVAs

Darkstalkers - Vampire Hunters, R.O.D. (Read or Die), Gun Smith Cats, Record of Lodoss War

TV Series

Escaflowne, Ah! My Goddess, Wagnaria!! (Working!!), Witch Hunter Robin, Bubblegum Crisis, Fruits Basket, Outlaw Star, xxxHOLiC

generic_ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

Sword Art Online is a great anime to start out with I know many of my freinds who don't watch anime have watched that then after I recommend watching Code Geass as it is hailed to be one the best anime's from my point of view.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Am I too late for this one?

I highly recommend Attack on Titan. It's a good anime to start with, but also is one of the more popular ones at the moment. It has a very interesting story so far and it makes you care about the characters.

You generally want subs instead of dubs. The only exception to that rule is: 'saw it when I was young'. To this day I can't watch Dragonball Z without dubs because the japanese voice over sounds ridiculous to me. I know people disagree with me on that; it's just how I got to know that series and I think also partially because 60% of the dialogue is screaming, it sounds better with English voice actors instead of the squeaky Japanese voice overs they had.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#73  Edited By kerse

cowboy bebop and ghost in the shell

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dacnomaniac said:

Only watch Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, the first series is decent, but it diverts from the manga early on and has an unsatisfying and weird ending. If you're interested in Death Note, read the manga. The ending to the anime wasn't anywhere close to as good as it was in the manga. I haven't seen Attack on Titan, so I can't comment on it.

If you're into romance at all, then I recommend Clannad. The first season isn't that bad, but holy hell, the second season is hands down the best anime I have ever seen. Hell, even if you're NOT into romance, you ought to check it out.

Edit:

As for the whole dub vs sub thing, I recommend going with the dubs for shows made pass 2006~. More often than not, they are of a good quality, and don't detract from the show at all. If it's an older show though, then definitely go with the subtitles, because the English voice acting can sometimes be very painful to listen to. For instance, someone mentioned Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya earlier, and in my opinion, the dub is FAR superior to the original Japanese.

Cowboy Bebop is also another show where I highly prefer the dub, same with Samurai Champloo.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#75  Edited By Justin258

@random45 said:

@dacnomaniac said:

Only watch Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, the first series is decent, but it diverts from the manga early on and has an unsatisfying and weird ending. If you're interested in Death Note, read the manga. The ending to the anime wasn't anywhere close to as good as it was in the manga.

I disagree with this, every time I see it. There's a movie that caps off the original and it sucks, but the ending to the original anime is really, really good. It's not exactly happy, which is why I think a lot of people dislike it, but it's certainly good.

EDIT: On the topic of subs vs dubs: watch whatever you prefer. I usually watch dubs, most of them aren't anywhere near as bad as people make them out to be past 2000 or so. 90's and back dubs are a lot more questionable, though.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Voice acting anime is taken much more seriously in Japan. There're even specific anime voice acting schools that people attend and generally there's a much larger talent pool to pick and choose from. English dubs are more limited. The same few companies dub everything and generally use the same people over and over since their talent pool is so small and dependent on their location. (I believe Funimation for example only employ people based in Texas)

Some dubs arguably suit the atmosphere more, but I'd say they're few and far between. Shows aimed at younger kids, like the ones you'll probably have nostalgia for, often suffer from cuts and cultural changes. It's not much of a problem for most shows especially nowadays but older shows like Yugioh, Digimon, Cardcaptor Sakura, One Piece (Early episodes) and so on are pretty different.

If there're subs available I'll personally try and watch everything in it's original language (Not limited to anime), but it's all down to personal preference.

I'd say: Anime = 35 year old woman that sounds like a teenager. Dub = 35 year old woman trying to sound like a teenager

Avatar image for green_incarnate
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

MeMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I would always recommend Trigun and Cowboy Bebop for new anime watchers those are some of the more recent classics and easy to get into. One Piece is GREAT but very long and still ruining highly recommended.

For comedy anime I highly recommend Great Teacher Onizuka, Azumanga Daioh, Golden Boy watch dubbed, Tenchi Muyo and Desert Punk watch dubbed way better.

If Mecha anime is something you want to check out then Gundam is the way to go. It is a very long running franchise but the UC gundams are great if you do not mind lower quality animation due to age. I would recommend starting with Zeta Gundam. Other good mecha animes are Escaflowne, technically Evangelion, aura battler dunbine, Full metal panic, and rahxephon.

Other recommendations that are no specific category Hajime no Ippo (way better than it seems), Gankutsuou, Berserk, Gungrave, Haibane Renmei, Rurouni Kenshin

For anime movies anything Satoshi Kon : Perfect Blue, Millenium actress, ect and anything Miyazaki plus Akira and Jin Roh

Lastly I always have to recommend Legend of the Galactic Heroes to everyone, it is the best space opera tv show ever!!

As you can see I have watched a lot of anime and there should be something in there that you should like.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyones recommending all the really good heavy hitters of anime.

What about the shit? Just watch some DBZ its shitty, theres a BILLION episodes, and every anime trope cliche is in it i guess.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Ghibli stuff, Ghost in the Shell, Akira.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Cowboy Bebop, motherfucker.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@random45 said:

@dacnomaniac said:

Only watch Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, the first series is decent, but it diverts from the manga early on and has an unsatisfying and weird ending. If you're interested in Death Note, read the manga. The ending to the anime wasn't anywhere close to as good as it was in the manga.

I disagree with this, every time I see it. There's a movie that caps off the original and it sucks, but the ending to the original anime is really, really good. It's not exactly happy, which is why I think a lot of people dislike it, but it's certainly good.

EDIT: On the topic of subs vs dubs: watch whatever you prefer. I usually watch dubs, most of them aren't anywhere near as bad as people make them out to be past 2000 or so. 90's and back dubs are a lot more questionable, though.

Yeah, I'll admit that the ending isn't that bad if you take the movie out of the equation.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

Ninja Scroll, then promptly stop because you will never find anything that awesome ever again

Dacnomaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread blew up really fucking fast! Thanks guys! So far, I managed to get Cowboy Bebop, and Death Note. I'll probably watch FMA: Brotherhood after them too...I might as well watch them in order.

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo.

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's no real easy entry or go to for starting Anime. But there are essentials like Akira or Ninja Scroll which are movies (pick a studio Ghibli at random). Series like Cowboy Bebop or Escaflowne are good for beginners too.

Anime is weird, no one series is representative of the entire "Art" form

I say just pick at random from all the suggestions.

@gaff said:

• The Lupin movies / TV series (wasn't there one in... 2011?)

The Woman Called Fujiko Mine was 2012 i think, telling Fujiko's past and Lupin's first meeting

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No one suggest Baccano! yet? This is a travesty that must be remedied!

Loading Video...

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#89  Edited By musubi

@dacnomaniac: :-) Serious recommendation though is Panty and Stocking with Garter Belt. In short imagine the powerpuff girls with South Park's style of crass vulgar humor. That is PSG in a nutshell. Its amazing and has an equally amazing soundtrack.

Otogi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Otogi

Redline is dope as hell!

biggiedubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By biggiedubs

@otogi said:

Redline is dope as hell!

Fuck yeah. I'm actually watching it right now, just because you reminded me of it.

Yo, how come people haven't been mentioning Gurren Lagaan? C'mon! There is absolutely no bullshit in that show, it's so sincere, so full of heart. You can't not like, I don't think. And it's a reasonable length, too.

I've been watching Ghost Hunt recently, which is like Japanese Paranormal Activity, so I'm liking it, at least. Polar Bear Cafe and Planetes are also personal favourites of mine. Polar Bear Cafe is without a doubt the funniest, more charming show I've ever seen, and Planetes is just a great idea that's executed nicely. They're space garbage men, cleaning up the debris that's floating around the ozone layer.

Magentic Rose and Baby Blue are both great too.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend...is a classic. Watching this will show you what Anime is all about.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

TRIGUN, Stand Alone Complex (very dialogue heavy though) and Voices of a Distant Star. Also another vote for Redline.

Cowboy Bebop and Ninja Scroll (movie) are an absolute must.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

@believer258: Since you mentioned it in this thread anyways, I'm enjoying OG Fullmetal Alchemist's more methodical pace thus far (also the english dub is pretty decent)... but I haven't gotten to the part where it goes off the rails yet. It's sort of crazy how different certain events are portrayed, even while it's ostensibly taking influence from the same source material as brotherhood.

On topic: Neon Genesis Evangelion. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend...is a classic. Watching this will show you what Anime is all about.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Attack on Titan - (Really fucking depressing action anime)

Hakkenden: Eight Dogs of the East (Good story, got some dog people, if you're into that sort of thing)

Dog and Scissors - (If you're into self-referential anime humor)

Worlds Greatest First Love - (If you like dudes dating ((not porn)))

Gurren Lagann - (Upbeat comedic action, my personal favorite. Really great)

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

I mostly stopped watching anime 10 years ago, so I don't know a lot about the newer stuff but here's the stuff I liked enough to watch entire seasons of:

Cowboy Bebop, great music and style story can be a mixed bag, some very funny stuff that works well, some serious drama that is ok but nothing to write home about.

Neon Genesis Evangelion; starts out amazing, gets really insane towards the end, it's all worth watching though.

El Hazard; a good fantasy adventure leans towards the comedic end.

Record of Lodoss War; there are 2 seasons of this and they are completely unrelated, watch season 2, it's much better, high fantasy.

Ranma 1/2; it's very old and it's a very weird teen romance/comedy, I only watched the first few seasons, it's good but once you get the premise you've got it.

Crest of the Stars: interesting Scifi, Earth is diplomatically taken over by an alien federation, romance / action / adventure fairly serious.

Trigun; this series starts out extremely stupid and gets better the further in you get.

Martian Successor Nadesico; scifi anime, it's a bit of a parody so I wouldn't make it the first thing you watch, but it's one of my favorites

Perfect Blue: great crime movie about pop culture, I would recommend this to people that didn't like anime, it's just a good movie.

Castle of Cagliostro: a great heist film in anime form.

Samurai Champloo; I watched this recently, it's really just alot of action but it's fun and I thought it ended very well which is fairly rare in anime.

Mogoping

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really watch anime but I have really enjoyed Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, and Attack on Titan.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Angel Beats, its a little of everything. Only 13 episodes too. Sword Art Online is also pretty awesome.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Angel Beats, its a little of everything. Only 13 episodes too. Sword Art Online is also pretty awesome.